New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

The afternoon sun beats down on you; the air is hot and still. The sparsely settled lands of Elsir Vale are starting to grow monotonous, with a seemingly endless line of dusty flyspecks of towns. One such town, Drellin's Ferry, lies a few miles ahead of you. It's a settlement hard on the borders of the Witchwood, and the best place from which to begin exploring the nearby forest. Your current destination - Vraath Keep, as directed to you by a map and a promise of treasure. When you inquired about Vraath back at Brindol it seemed to be long-abandoned, a relic of some noble's attempt to tame the forest that fell short of its goal, but the Witchwood denizens keep most from straying near or trying to repeat the noble's goal. Still, nobles mean treasure, and abandoned means it shouldn't have gone anywhere. If the map is correct, it could be enough to retire on for life, but getting your hopes up has backfired before.

Drellin's Ferry may be small but it does have the notability of being the first town on the Elsir Vale that travelers from Waterdeep pass through (even if that's not as common as the merchants in Brindol would like), and so may be a bit more bustling than the ones you passed through to get here. Hopefully you won't have died of heatstroke by the time you get there. Even the trees that flank your path offer little comfort or protection from the endless sun.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Freya sighs. Despite her travels up in these hot lands, she never could get used to the heat of the sun. She takes a sip from her waterskin, then looks out at the vast landscape.

"The sun creates, the sun destroys. It has dispassion for those that cross the land; who dares to challenge the almighty flare of its power? For those who... who... ah, word. word for fight? Oppose? No..." Freya is working up some poetry at the moment, putting her frustrations of the heat to words.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-04-11 at 08:35 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus takes a swing of his waterskin, as he dutifully goes back and forth sideways, noting the path. It doesn't seem to be the case that they would get lost, but is is always good to make sure. He also routinely gazes around to make sure no threat is around.

The heat is oppressive for an elf raised in the cold dales of the North, but Aetus tries to remain stoic and composed. As his route passes by Freya, he catches the last rime

"Do battle?" he proposes.

Spoiler: OOc actions
    Show

Perception (1d20+5)[14]
    The group cannot get lost since Aetus is leading due to Natural Explorer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri knows the goodberries she cast last night will keep everyone alive if they run out of food or water. But she has been dragging along the past few hours, feeling like she can barely stand, let alone keep walking. Aetus seems to know where we are going. He always knows where we are going. She is always grateful for that.

Freya's poetry cheers her up, as dark and depressing as it is. But maybe that's the kind of poetry we all need right now. Freya always knows the right thing to say, even if it doesn't make sense to Zuri at the time. Zuri makes a clumsy attempt to help with the poem. She repeats the first part quietly almost to herself.

"The sun creates, the sun destroys.
    It has dispassion for those that cross the land;
    who dares to challenge the almighty flare of its power?
    For those who...
    "

She thinks a moment and then offers up the final two verses, somewhat sarcastically, thinking this poem is hitting too close to home right now.

For those who...dare to defy and stand.
    Will surely be dead upon the hour.
    "

That's darker than she would normally come up with. But she's been in a foul mood and better to take it out on a poem than her companions. She laughs quietly at her out-of-character surprisingly dark humor, hoping no one else is offended.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach marches in near-military formation, occasionally breaking its formality to scratch her bat, Wibbles of the One Eye, with her good hand. The poem mulled about in her mind for a time, but she wasn't trying to complete the rhyme. It wasn't until after it was repeated by Zuri that she found her voice.
    "What does the sun create?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Plants, I suppose. Indirectly. One can't be too literal with poetry. Could be worse anyhow. I was once on campaign in this desert...which one was that. Well, more than once I suppose. Still, not hot enough to bake a man in his armor, so could be worse." Beorn catches himself before going into a full ramble.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sheesh, anyone else want to stick a dagger in the mood? Or are we finished killing it yet?" pipes up a contrastingly cheery voice from the middle of the group. Guiding the mule with its load of supplies didn't give the halfling Roswyn the luxury of bounding ahead of the group the way she would have preferred, but everyone's collective dour moods sure wasn't making it any easier. She clears her throat and offers her own rendition:

But those who forget the sun's great joys
    Should simply enjoy the summer's flowers!"

She bows to her imaginary audience before adding, "You lubbers need a good dunking in the river when we reach this Drellin's Ferry place. I'll take the hot sun over a march through the rain any day."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Wouldn't the summer flowers be one of the sun's great joys?" Gaks asks, apparently having learned nothing from the "poems shouldn't be taken too literally" comment.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus lets out a great hearty laugh at Roswyn's suggestion.

"You know, Aer-lyn, this is a great idea. I haven't had a good river swim for ages. I will take you up on that"

As is his custom, Aetus used the elf name for Sea-friend for Roswyn. As he delights at telling her than her name in Elvish means Lady of Copper.

10. - Top - End - #10

Freya giggles. This discussion is inspiring for her poetry, and she gives a soft clap at the performances. "Yes, the flowers bloom in the sun. Back home, we did not have many flowers. It snowed almost year round."

"The nights were long and cold. Huddled were you in pelts, perhaps with your love, in front of a warm fire and a mug of refreshing mead," she continued, almost in story mode, "But for now, Freya will take up the offer of a good dunk in a river."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"If flowers grew, we uprooted them and planted grain," Gaks says shortly.
    "It meant there was good land being put to waste."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-04-11 at 12:23 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through trees, stands to your south. You've passed a dozen spots much like this one already today, but this one sets your teeth on edge. Then, a flurry of arrows erupt from the brush on both sides of the path, and you finally spot what look to be hobgoblins lurking in the trees. They're accompanied by an enormous red hound whose breath seems to come alight with sparks and flames. Thankfully, the arrows fall short, either speeding past you or glancing against armour without doing any real damage. Still, they're already knocking for another set.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Any square with a tree is lightly wooded (difficult terrain).

Climbing the banks (where the path turns to grass) also counts as difficult terrain, but it requires a DC5 athletics check. If the check's failed, you can repeat again, but still lose the 10' of movement. You may want to do some ahead-of-time rolls if you're trying to climb, just in case your athletics betrays you.

They did get a surprise 'cos their stealth check beat your perceptions...but then managed to not hit any of you.

Since we're basically doing group initiative, everyone gets a turn and then the enemy will go.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri was grateful for Roswyn's optimistic take on the poem, and had started to enjoy the hike more when the flurry of arrows brought her back to realty.

She sees the hobgoblins on both sides. "I'll take the ones on our left." She casts a quick spell, conjuring 4 giant wasps to attack the hobgoblins on the left, 2 each. She then takes a few steps in that direction to get out of the way of the others so they can focus on the threat to our right.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Here goes nothing. Rolls for random animals (1d4)[2] and (1d6)[4]

So that is 4 giant Wasps:

Giant Wasp
    Medium beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 13 (3d8)
    Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft.
    STR
    10 (+0) DEX
    14 (+2) CON
    10 (+0) INT
    1 (-5) WIS
    10 (+0) CHA
    3 (-4)
    Senses passive Perception 10
    Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)
    Actions
    Sting. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: (1d6 + 2) piercing damage plus (3d6)poison damage. The target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking the poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable but poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is paralyzed while poisoned in this way.

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-04-11 at 12:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Giant Wasps

The Wasps appear right around the two hobgoblins and immediately attack.

Show

Also, I forgot to roll initiative: (1d20+2)[5]

Wasp #1 13/13 HP
    To hit: (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[7]
    Poison: (3d6)[7] DC11 save for half

Wasp #2 13/13 HP
    To hit: (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]
    Poison: (3d6)[9] DC11 save for half

Wasp #3 13/13 HP
    To hit: (1d20+4)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]
    Poison: (3d6)[11] DC11 save for half

Wasp #4 13/13 HP
    To hit: (1d20+4)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[7]
    Poison: (3d6)[10] DC11 save for half

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"That's foolhard... oh." Gaakach stopped her critique when she saw that her friend was summoning help, and she turned her attention to the three creatures on the party's right - the hobgoblins and the hound. She pulled a crystal vial with some glowing blue liquid from her component pouch and shouted: "Mukhuukhen hakhaar!" A pillar of spiraling light appeared before the hound and two hobgoblins, threatening to daze them.

Spoiler: Hypnotic Pattern
    Show
    30' cube, so the three clustered that include the hound. They need to add their WIS save bonus to the following rolls or be charmed, incapacitated, and have their speeds reduced to 0. DC 15.

Hobgoblins: (1d20)[13] for the one on the map's south and (1d20)[4] for the one on the map's north, (1d20)[3] for the hound.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus
    AC:16 HP:42

Seeing the enemies appear suddenly around, Aetus wastes no time. He turns his arrows to the hobgoblins on on the right. His training and experience has been about taking advantage of situations like this. Drawing his bow as far as it can go, he sends three arrows in quick succession while singing an ancient
    Elvish song of power
    "Lariss ean daril, Shul dor Veril..."

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Here we go, lots of rolls.
    Attacks with Advantage, since the hobgoblins have not acted. Due to elven accuracy, three dice are rolled. Using Sharpshooter. One additional attack due to Underdark scout
    As a Bonus Action, Hunter' Mark to the northern-right hobgoblin. Switching to other if hits
    *Atk1: (1d20+4)[15] and (1d20+4)[14] and (1d20+4)[10]
    Dmg, if hit (1d8+16)[21] plus (1d6)[4]

*Atk2: (1d20+4)[14] and (1d20+4)[5] and (1d20+4)[7]
    Dmg, if hit (1d8+16)[22] plus (1d6)[5]

*Atk3: (1d20+4)[6] and (1d20+4)[6] and (1d20+4)[6]
    Dmg, if hit (1d8+16)[21] plus (1d6)[2]

EDIT: Statistically, astonishingly bad rolls. In 9 d20s, I rolled four 2s, one 1 and a 11 as the highest. I am having very bad rolls in the last few weeks.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn was grinning after it had seemed that she had successfully lightened the mood. The arrow which almost pierced one of her bare feet however, soured her mood again. "Anyone get hit?" she asks hastily, scrambling to strap her shield to her arm as four oversized insect float past her and towards their foes. She moves nimbly between the larger companions in her group and plants herself in front of Zuri and Freya, glaring at the hobgoblins and the mean beasties watching them from the ridge. "Couldn't even hit the broad side of a barn with shooting like that," she shouts tauntingly.

Spoiler: Let Me Introduce You to My Friend
    Show
    Don the Shield
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

18. - Top - End - #18

Freya, Bard

"Not hit," Freya answers Roswyn. She Looks left and focuses her hand gestures, reciting a spell. She points to her target and releases beams of energy. "Forntida sprängning!"

Show
    If either of the two hobgoblins on the map's right side are still up, Freya will attack those. If not, then whoever is closest on the other side (hard to say what is still standing due to how pbp combat runs).

Eldritch Blast, 2 beams:

First beam-- (1d20+7)[9] (damage (1d10)[4])

Second beam-- (1d20+7)[14] (damage (1d10)[6])

Freya will agree to using Roswyn for cover.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn quickly assesses the situation. "Aetus, keep it up. I will get up on the embankment. " He moves South, toward the insect-plagued enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Action: Aetus can take two more attacks on his next attack action.
    Bonus action: spend a leadership die to take the help action to give him advantage on the first of those attacks
    Movement down and 5 feet to the right, autopasses the DC5

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Aetus' arrows find their mark in the hound, who looks to retaliate but is stopped short by Gaks' spell, along with its two hobgoblin masters. Despite their distraction their armour resists Freya's beams and they appear unfazed. Zuri's wasps manage to find gaps though, and make quick work of the two to your south. All seems to be going well, until four figures spill out of the farmhouse to the south - another hound and three more hobgoblins. One is equipped as the others - sword, shield and bow - which he uses to take a potshort at Beorn, though the arrow merely lodges in his shield. The other wields two shortswords and behind is one clutching a mace that glows with divine energy. The mace-wielder snarls and yells "Mech daal von!" Even those who don't speak Goblin can tell there's a hint of panic in his voice.

Show

Three on the top left are hypnotised (incapacitated until they take damage). Two on the right near the wasps are dead.

Spoiler: Goblin Speakers
    Show
    "Kill them quick!"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri moves towards the newcomers, staying in the road and getting as close to Beorn as she can while trying stay below the bank, using it as cover from any incoming projectiles.

"Kill the newcomers," she instructs the wasps. They leave the bodies and fly quickly, a loud, low buzzing continuing from their wings, descending upon their new prey.

Show
    They will move to the 3 squares between the hobgoblins and the wall and the square in front of the dog.
    Wasp #1 attacks the short sword hobgoblin, #2 attacks the one with the bow, and #3-4 attack the dog

Wasp #1 13/13 HP (short sword hobgoblin)
    To hit: (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[3]
    Poison: (3d6)[12] DC11 save for half

Wasp #2 13/13 HP (bow hobgoblin)
    To hit: (1d20+4)[16]
    Poison: (3d6)[14] DC11 save for half

Wasp #3 13/13 HP (dog)
    To hit: (1d20+4)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[4]
    Poison: (3d6)[6] DC11 save for half

Wasp #4 13/13 HP (dog)
    To hit: (1d20+4)[17]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Leave the hypnotized ones be, they will stay still for a time!"
    With no clear line of sight to the ones she heard yelling "kill them quickly," she simply lifted her shield in that direction, prioritizing keeping her spell disabling nearly half the enemies active.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Dodge.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Freya, Bard

"Our upper hand slipped, as their numbers doubled. Vicious attack dogs, wreathed in flames..." Freya was taking herself through what she witnessed. Had to get as many details on her mind to write of this battle later. She gestures again, this time at the crimson hound that came out with the hobgoblins. "Forntida sprängning!" she shouts again, releasing another volley of beams.

Show
    Firing both beams at the Hell hound. This is either gonna look good in Freya's tale later, or she's gonna skip this part. XD

Eldritch Blast, 2 beams:

First beam-- (1d20+7)[27] (damage (1d10)[10] force)

Second beam-- (1d20+7)[15] (damage (1d10)[6] force)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus gains new clarity as Beorn directs him and moves a bot so that the foul cleric is view. He shouts back in goblin "Gerhaz gruh Drath!" as he sends four arrows in quick succession against it.

Spoiler: Goblin spoiler
    Show
    "Your doom is upon you!"

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    BA changing Hunter's mark to the cleric. If it gets shot down, switching to the dual wielder
    First attack with advantage and Elven Accuracy and Sharpshooter
    Atk1 (1d20+4)[17] or (1d20+4)[24] or (1d20+4)[20]
    Dmg (1d8+16)[24] +(1d6)[4]

Atk2 (1d20+4)[22]
    Dmg (1d8+16)[24] +(1d6)[1]

Atk3 (1d20+4)[8]
    Dmg (1d8+16)[20] +(1d6)[3]

Atk3 (1d20+4)[16]
    Dmg (1d8+16)[19] +(1d6)[2]

Atk3 (1d20+4)[8]
    Dmg (1d8+16)[21] +(1d6)[2]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn steps back toward his allies; let the enemy slog through the trees, he will meet them. With wasps and spells flying, the matter seems to be going in their favor. Seeing the stream of arrows, which ought to have an effect on enemy morale, he calls back,
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Keep it up, Aetus!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    between difficult terrain and limited move speed, only has so many options.

movement 5' Up and right
    BA: Help action for Aetus
    Action, give Aetus two more attack on next attack action

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn clambers up the bank of the road and into the dense vegetation to take a defensive position close to Beorn. She reaches for a javelin from her pack and hurls it at the fiery hound, secretly hoping the ambushers would run in so she could get smack some heads around too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to the square 1 unit south of where the left-most wasp started this turn (if possible, otherwise just stay within 10' of Beorn).
    Javelin Attack: (1d20+6)[13] for (1d6+3)[8] + crit (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2020-04-13 at 09:47 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Roswyn's javelin goes wide, but it's enough of a distraction to the hound that it doesn't see the beams or the bees coming and quickly falls victim to the stings and magic. The follow up volley from Aetus feathers the cleric who falls dead before he can even begin chanting a spell. Undeterred however the remaining two fall upon the bugs, one dropping his bow in favour of a sword and the other one cleaving straight through the buzzing attacker, before stepping over its fading body to form a line with his now heavily-injured companion.

Show

Yes I know they're wasps not bees but it sounds better that way.

Bow (now longsword) looks like he's on his last legs. Shortsword still appears pretty healthy, even though he took a hit.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri stays along the bank, still using it as cover from any incoming projectiles, watching as her remaining wasps continue their attack on the hobgoblins.

Show
    the two side-by-side wasps each move one square left and one down. Wasp #1 attacks the hobgoblin with the bow (now longsword). Wasps #2-3 attack the short sword hobgoblin

Wasp #1 13/13 HP (bow/longsword hobgoblin)
    To hit: (1d20+4)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]
    Poison: (3d6)[14] DC11 save for half

Wasp #2 13/13 HP (short sword hobgoblin)
    To hit: (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[4]
    Poison: (3d6)[12] DC11 save for half

Wasp #3 13/13 HP (short sword hobgoblin)
    To hit: (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded at her party's success at dealing with the split group. The best use of her time continued to be keeping the other group from flanking them, so she kept her shield raised and stayed where she was.
    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    DODGE!
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn pushes ahead, using the path Roswyn has made. He points to the apparent leader of the hobgoblins, "Strike the head and the rest will fall."
    Spoiler
    Show
    move down 2 squares, 1 to the right, adjacent to Roswyn's current spot

bonus action for helpful word on Roswyn

Action, giving Roswyn two extra attacks next round. Roswyn has advantage on her first attack from helpful word
    Last edited by stack; 2020-04-13 at 01:57 PM.