New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Roswyn shoulders up to Beorn, ready to be the other half of their vanguard.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

With the foreknowledge of the trap, it's easily triggered and evaded without any sort of risk. Creeping forward through the now eerily silent base you step over the scattered coins, careful not to jolt them with your feet and give away your position. As the sole remaining unexplored room, Roswyn and Beorn prepare themselves and open the door, revealing the goblin ranger's headquarters.

Three large animals - a leopard, a wild boar, and a crocodile - stand at the ready in the southern portion of the room...but on second inspection they prove to be stuffed and mounted for displays. The walls are decorated with a striking tapestry depicting a five-headed dragon in a pose of destructive rage. A free-standing perch for the goblin's bird stands empty in the room's northwest corner, near to a cot heaped with fine furs.

Most notable however are the 'missing' bodies of the elves, stripped naked and pinned with metal rods through their wrists and ankles to slabs of wood harvested from what seems to have been a table, they're 'stood' up in horrific caricatures of life. Their throats have been torn out and a close inspection reveals their tongues have been taken. On each of the three are carved symbols and letters across their chests and bellies - one in common script, one in goblin, and one in draconic. The common script reads "Ghostlord. Thorn Wastes." but says nothing else. The scent of woodsmoke is in the air, and behind the bodies of the elves you see the remnants of a recent fire on the ground, fragments of paper and parchment scattered nearby. Though you can spy the edges of some lettering on the pieces, they're too small to deduce any sort of meaning from them.

Seeing her people mutilated so, Trellara ducks out of the room and around a corner, and you hear her breakfast returning with a vengeance.

Spoiler: Goblin Script
    Show

"Ghostlord. Thorn Wastes."

Spoiler: Draconic Script
    Show

"Ghostlord. Thorn Wastes."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks picked up the pieces of paper, confirming the Goblin and Common were the same before sliding them into her soaked pack. "A message on where to follow them for us? As a challenge? Or were these in hopes that their main army would find the message before us? Though if that one... why the Common?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #964
    Spamalot in the Playground

Freya

"It is a message for us," Freya says, sure of her theory. "The Hand only used goblin script before. This is three languages. To ensure we can read it."

She looks at the gold, sparkles in her eyes. But, to be safe, Freya searches around for any other traps or surprises nearby. "We should not linger long here."

Spoiler: Skill check
    Show
    Investigation: (1d20+3)[9]
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri looks around to see if there are any further clues. She also starts to collect the gold and looks into the hidden compartment to see if she can find anything. Finally she goes over to the hobgoblin wizard's desk and searches it.

"Should we try to track them or just leave and go back? Trellara, do you know who these elves are? We should give them a proper burial."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Investigation (1d20)[12] for looking around

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn aids in the search. "Tracking overwater would be difficult, I expect. I am not sure what to think of this ghostlord business; the name appearing here and on the map makes me increasingly concerned."

"As for burial, we would need to get the boat. If a pyre is acceptable, we could burn this building, perhaps. I defer to Trelara, of course."

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

“We could simply make a different hole,” Gaks suggested.
    “Rather than drag them all to the boat.”

Noting the search, Gaks used her artificial eye to Detect Magic and See the Invisible. She searched through the coin and where it was spilling out of to see if anything magical had been forgotten.
    “You must be correct, Freya. No doubt they are attempting to waste our time chasing fairy tales after we have spent much time chasing them in the opposite direction.”
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Trellara wipes a few specks of vomit from her lips, and her cheeks are tinged with a green quite close to that she's wearing. "Not personally," she answers Zuri, "They were probably from one of our other settlements in the marshes." She gives a short nod to Beorn. "I'd like to bring them back but...they may put us in more danger and there's little room in the boat for them. We could take locks of hair and make this their pyre." She's pointedly keeping her eyes away from the bodies, though there's little left in Trellara's stomach for her to evacuate.

The spellcaster's area has been ransacked of any papers or items, with little left in the area aside from a few torture implements with a light coating of dried blood, and you can't find anything of note unless you develop a fascination with thumb screws and long knives.

The compartment hidden in the dragon's room is deeper on inspection than initially thought. The area beneath the dragon's platform seems to have been hollowed out for protective storage, and still contains a significant wealth of items. With no pressing concerns and time to investigate you can identify them now. Aside from the magical items, you find nothing more that radiates magic, nor anything hidden by invisibility. Though some gold has been taken, you're still able to recover the better part of 722gp, 32pp and 540sp from both the compartment and recovering those scattered across the floor.

Spoiler: Magic Items
    Show

Would you believe I rolled a 76, 77 and 78 on what magic items you found?

Spoiler: Plate Armour +1
    Show

It's Plate Armour.
    And it has a +1.

Doesn't require attunement.

Spoiler: Eyes of Charming
    Show
    Requires attunement.

These crystal lenses fit over the eyes. They have 3 Charges. While wearing them, you can expend 1 charge as an action to cast the Charm Person spell (save DC 13) on a Humanoid within 30 feet of you, provided that you and the target can see each other. The lenses regain all expended Charges daily at dawn.

Spoiler: Eyes of the Eagle
    Show

Requires attunement.

These Crystal lenses fit over the eyes. While wearing them, you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight. In Conditions of clear visibility, you can make out details of even extremely distant creatures and Objects as small as 2 feet across.

Spoiler: Figurine of Wondrous Power - Silver Raven
    Show

Doesn't require attunement.

A figurine of wondrous power is a statuette of a beast small enough to fit in a pocket. If you use an action to speak the command word and throw the figurine to a point on the ground within 60 feet of you, the figurine becomes a living creature. If the space where the creature would appear is occupied by other creatures or objects, or if there isn't enough space for the creature, the figurine doesn't become a creature.

The creature is friendly to you and your companions. It understands your languages and obeys your spoken commands. If you issue no commands, the creature defends itself but takes no other actions.

The creature exists for a duration specific to each figurine. At the end of the duration, the creature reverts to its figurine form. It reverts to a figurine early if it drops to 0 hit points or if you use an action to speak the command word again while touching it. When the creature becomes a figurine again, its property can't be used again until a certain amount of time has passed, as specified in the figurine's description.

This silver statuette of a raven can become a raven for up to 12 hours. Once it has been used, it can't be used again until 2 days have passed. While in raven form, the figurine allows you to cast the animal messenger spell on it at will.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn inspects the armor, checking the condition of the straps, integrity of the plates, and making sure there are no surprises.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

"I have identified these items as such:" Gaks relayed, putting the magic items off to one side. She briefly explained all of their properties. Noting Trellara's trepidation, the wizard drew her dagger. She went to each of the dead elves and cut off locks of their hair. "I have no recommendations on whom should receive any of the items, aside from the armor which is clearly best suited for you," she said to Beorn. "Though the lenses cannot be worn by the same person at the same time."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-10-22 at 01:36 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #971

Freya looks over the Eyes of Charming. She ties her hair back, puts on the lenses, and holds her journal under one arm. "Do they make me look more studious?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

"You will be the belle of the library ball. Oh, if anyone could spare a cantrip to clean this armor, I would appreciate it; I don't know where its been."

13. - Top - End - #973

Freya removes the lenses and then casts Prestidigitation to unsoil the armor.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

"Now to swim through the swamp back the way we came," Gaks said without a hint of irony once the armor was clean. "Though you said... I should burn the bodies?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

While the others prepare to leave the compound, Zuri goes up to the roof and looks around with her new eyes, looking for any signs of the enemy or its escape. She walks around to get a good look in every direction.

"Let's see how good these new eyes are."

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show
    Perception (1d20+7)[9], Advantage (1d20+7)[26]

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

"There's small enough usable ground in the marsh, my people don't have much room for graves, and any we did bury would resurface should the water shift." Trellara offers by way of explanation. "Burning them is our solution. It would be best if we could take their bodies back, to burn them among their friends and families, but we don't always have such luxuries." She doesn't seem particularly enthused about it, there's a bit of disappointment in herself even as she speaks. Cold pragmatism is overriding her emotions.

Zuri's scan of the wider area doesn't show much that you weren't already aware of - islands dotting the lake interspersed with half-submerged buildings. There's no aerial patrols, and you can't see any lizardfolk or other boats out on the lake at this time. In the far distance, looking to the outposts that were dotted around the lake's edge, you do spot some lizardfolk sentries milling around - guards presumably similar to ones you bested on your entry to the lake - but they don't seem particularly on alert, nor are they looking in your direction. Short of magical accompaniments it's unlikely they could make you out even if they were looking.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-10-23 at 04:51 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded sympathetically and used quick bolts of fire to light the corpses, seeing no need to drag out Trellara’s suffering and indecision. “I am ready to move,” she conveyed simply.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #978

"I am ready to go too," Freya adds. She can help start a fire for the pyre if needed.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #979
    Titan in the Playground

Collecting the bodies together doesn't take very long and there's sufficient wood to ensure the pyre will burn strong. Trellara does carry them (with any help offered) to the roof though, such that they may at least be beneath the open sky when given their funeral. She takes a few locks of hair and ties them off for storage before the fires are set and started.

With little else to be found in this building and a seemingly clear path back to the buried boat, a decision must be made on the next destination. Should Trellara be asked her opinion on the matter she offers that it's up to you, since she's only a guide, but also that "If they've gone into a full retreat and are pointing you at this...Ghostlord in the Thorn Wastes, they might have left the marsh entirely. Maybe we should go back to Starsong Hill and you can report on it to Sellyria?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Not seeing any leads, even with her new eyes, to help us follow the goblin and its entourage, Zuri tends to agree with Trellara.

"Let's go get our boat. We should get Trellara home. Then perhaps it is time for us to get back to Brindol to see if we can help there. We could take out a few more of these lizardfolk on our way out if you all are interested? Or maybe convince them to make a truce with the elves."

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-25 at 08:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

"Convincing them may be a lost cause," Gaks considered, thinking back to the... ten? Lizardfolk they had killed already. "But yes, I agree we should move back to Brindol. One of our greatest advantages is that the attacking army must come to us. They can taunt us, but they cannot make us chase them into a trap when they must either extend themselves again or give up on their goal." She looked out over the swampland, wondering if there was a land passage back the way they'd come. She hadn't pulled out her manufactured steeds for some time.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #982

"If the lizardfolk believe in might-makes-right, then we would be considered formidable in any talks we might have. Hmm, I wonder if the Red Hand would try to convince some of us to join their ranks? Well, I agree that we should report back to Trellara's people and then decide our next destination."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

"There seems to be little else to gain here, so back to Starsong Hill seems the best plan."

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Once the bodies are burned and their spirits return to the sky, the party heads into the water to the water - as thoroughly unpleasant as ever, to make your way back to the boat and dry off. It's where you left it, untouched as expected and hoped.

Far off in the distance a few lizardfolk spot your boat moving between the islands but you're too far off for them to reach you, and so they settle for merely brandishing their weapons in preparation. Your destination - the outpost cleared yesterday - has not been reinforced from what you can tell and you are able to speed through it without coming under attack. With the return of the rain, the smell of the marsh gets worse, akin to what it was on the first day of sweltering heat.

With the fog absent it's much easier to see your path ahead and it allows you to advance at full speed. As you speed through the swamps you spot various creatures and beasts lurking near the water's edge. Some bare fangs at you pass, others observe you with fleeting interest while yet more simply ignore you and pay no attention to the swift vessel cutting a path through the swamp. The sinkwater that blocked your path previously appears to have settled, as when you do reach the intersection before it's as smooth and still as any swamp water you've seen so far. These factors combine into a relatively swift return to Starsong Hill, though it's still getting close to evening by the time you're back.

Sellyria and Killiar are both stood at the end of the small pier. Perhaps given forewarning of your arrival by magic or other scouts roaming the marshes, they look to be waiting for you, with mouths pressed into grim stoicism. After Trellara and Roswyn guide the boat in to a stop the young elf songstress hops out of the boat to approach her fellow elves. Without a word, Sellyria pulls an arm back and slaps Trellara with enough force that it knocks the blonde "guide" off her feet, leaving her splayed out on the ground in shock. It's a surprising strike for such an elderly and frail looking elf like Sellyria, but she delivers it with poise and grace both. "You put all of us at risk with your stunt, Trellara. I'm so disappointed in you." The Speaker kneels down besides the still recovering Trellara before pulling her into a warm hug. "But I'm glad you are all alright."

Killiar meanwhile turns his attention to the party. "A report, if you would. Were you successful?" It's the same brusque, uncouth tones as always. There might have been the slightest softening in his stance, but it could just be that he's tired.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks frowned.
    “It is difficult to say,”
    she conveyed.
    “The alliance was already formed when we arrived, or at least the lizardfolk were hosting the Red Hand on their lands, and considered us enemies on sight. However, we have driven the Red Hand from this swamp for now by killing their dragon and a Devastator. It seems they are regrouping with the Ghost Lord, a creature nearer to the people who sent us. This may have severed their alliance with your enemies, but perhaps the lizardfolk have joined their ranks in exchange for land elsewhere now that the Red Hand is fleeing the swamp. If there is a continued problem, are there any among you who might contact us?”
    Show

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri is happy to be off the boat and to see the elves again.

"Sellyria, it is good to see you again. Please go easy on Trellara. She was invaluable in our fights against the dragon, the Devastator and the lizardfolk. She has our deepest gratitude for getting us safely through the swamp."

"We need to get back to Brindol as soon as possible and would like to leave in the morning. Could your flyers help us get as far south as they are comfortable? If you would like to send a contingent of elves with us, their help would be appreciated, and we would be honored to have them in our company."

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-26 at 10:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Gathering what was happening, Gaks nodded at Zuri’s plea.
    “Were it not for Trellara’s bravery, I might very well be dead. I am in her debt.”
    Show

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn raises an eyebrow at Trellara's reception; he had been curious how such a matter would be handled here. He allows the others to give the report, filling in any details needed.

29. - Top - End - #989

Freya

Freya winces when she sees Sellyria slap Trellara. It didn't matter to Freya if the Speaker followed up with a hug. That kind of abusive relationship was one reason Freya went into self-exile. Well, Freya will avenge Trellara tonight, with a grand epic story of the party's adventure in the swamp, ensuring that Trellara gets her proper share of the glory earned in the battles had. She jut had to decide how to word that incident of nearly been eaten by that shambling mound.

Oh yes, speaking of battle!

Freya whispers to Gaks, "Would we be so lucky that the elves have the reagents you need to revivify Wibbles? We should ask later of this."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

"And had Trellara not 'replaced' my chosen guide perhaps you would have been able to kill the Red Hand here, instead of having them flee to fight another day." Killiar replies with cold frustration in his voice. Sellyria stands gracefully, and helps Trellara to her feet. They stand together, hands gently clasped. Trellara's face is a mix of stubborn pride and regret. "I am glad to hear Trellara availed herself well, at least. I would expect if they have lost a dragon they will not be quick to return to support the lizardfolk, and while them not being killed was..." she glances at the songstress to her side, "regrettable, I don't think we can hold it against you given the circumstances. The Tiri Kitor will assist in the defence of Brindol." It's a quiet declaration, without pomp or circumstance, but with clear weight to it. It's not a decision Sellyria has made lightly. Killiar's as impassive as ever, though there might be the slightest angle of a smile on his lips.

"You may rest here tonight, and in the morning we will send you with some scouts to the edge of the marsh while we muster what forces we have and prepare for the journey south."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC