New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

The halfling grits her teeth at the peppering of arrows and realizes that perhaps waiting for the others would have been wise. The splintering wood though ... it caught her attention, and she flew over to the battlements to see what was on the other side. Once she gets a good view and takes everything in, Roswyn brandishes her sword as she doubles back and closes in on the closest hobgoblin like a descending falcon, sword prepared to thrust down into him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Movement as follows to get a view of what's threatening the blockade, and then it's time to deal some pain to the hobgoblin.

Attack: (1d20+6)[26] for (1d8+3)[9]+(1d6)[5] + 11 Critical
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[26] for (1d8+3)[10]+(1d6)[2] + 12 Critical
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2020-07-07 at 10:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Spamalot in the Playground

Freya

More fire? It is dark where Freya is, but she can hopefully make out enough of the wooden structure to get her last high level spell off and strike. She stands up and casts; Flute in hand, Freya utilizes her music to form another small flame in the palm of her other hand and then hurls it west of her previous strike. "Eldbolti!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Alrighty then! Freya stands up (15 move spent).

If Freya can see the archers, she'll throw the fireball at them. If she cannot see them to target, then plan B is to hit the ogres again.

Dexterity save DC 15 for half damage:
    (8d6)[30] fire

Last, move Freya back one square to be beside Zuri.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

The flames of Gaks and Freya launch out at the camp and its inhabitants. The ogre seems to essentially ignoring the flaming ball the bops into his foot, but the bolt of flame striking him in the face makes him howl with rage and indignation. At the same time, the snakes converge on the lizardfolk. Most of their attacks miss, but two make it through, and the lizards seem deeply affected by the poison. Not helped any when a few more bolts of arcane streak through the gloom and strike one in the side. Beorn's sword also finds its mark, adding injury to more injury against the attackers. They hiss to each other in a tongue you can't grasp, if it's even a 'tongue' at all, but they seem to understand.

Roswyn's sweep over the battlements gives her a glimpse of what's next to come - an enormous crocodile that must have been lurking in the moat unseen has emerged, and smashes down the barricade. As the flying halfling cleanly separates the archer from its legs with a single stroke, leaving it to bleed out quickly on the burning pallisade, the remaining hob shouts a few more orders in goblinoid to the crocodile. Even those who don't speak the language can intuit their meaning easily - "Kill the attackers". Indeed the scaled beast doesn't move to attack the ogres at all, instead standing with them as they launch two more boulders to the north.

Two of the Lizardfolk have already moved on before the boulders are let loose - their legs glowing with pulsing green energy, they split from their snake attackers and break for Freya and Gaks, evading any attacks the snakes might have made. They lash out with pointed claws - not fists - at the spellcasters, finding gaps in their defences. Immediately both are overcome by a feeling of emptiness as the magic that flows through their veins suddenly stops. It's akin to a feeling of extreme hunger, except rather than feeling it in the pit of your stomach it's felt throughout your entire bloodstream.

The remaining lizardfolk who hasn't moved tries to strike at Beorn in a similar fashion, but all their blows find are solid metal, but the boulder crashing down beside him makes up for it, while the other one goes to the snakes. With the crocodile bursting through the gate the ogres take up their clubs and move forward around the flames to take the battle to melee.

The single remaining hobgoblin looses yet another arrow at Roswyn, but she expertly deflects it with her shield and it plinks off into the flames.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

The moving lizardfolk used their bonus action to disengage, so no opportunity attacks from the snakes.

Gaks and Freya both take 8 damage and are unable to cast new spells until the end of their next turn (including cantrips). Concentration spells continue, assuming the damage didn't break their concentration.

Beorn takes 10 damage. Snake below Beorn takes 6 damage. One snake dies, then the three more near Gaks take 10, 8 and 7 damage top to bottom.

Now just for a moment imagine how this fight would've gone if the croc had managed to drag one of you underwater like I was planning for :P
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-07-08 at 05:52 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn gets his shield up in time, but is still rattled by the stone. He focuses on the immediate foe, laying into the lizard creature with his blade, eager to free himself to protect the others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot about heavy armor mastery. Should have had 3 less damage last time. And this time too. 39/45 HP.

Bonus action: rallying mark vs adjacent lizardfolk (+1d6 damage, heal equal amount)
    This assumes you are your own ally. Guess I am a little fuzzy on that for 5e; I know how it works for 3.PF. I am assuming Beorn can trigger it with his own attacks.

Att1 (1d20+7)[11] for (1d8+4)[5] damage
    Att2 (1d20+7)[21] for (1d8+4)[9] damage

First hit does an additional (1d6)[3] damage and heals attacker for equal amount (hopefully Beorn, but if he misses and the snake gets it, that's fine too)

If lizard-dude drops, move toward Gaks.
    Last edited by stack; 2020-07-08 at 06:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Still surprised by the speed of the Lizardfolk, Zuri continues to direct the snakes

"Attack and contain these three, then move on to the camp."

The snakes follow and converge on the 3 lizard folk, lashing out with their hungry jaws, slashing with their sharp, poisonous teeth.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Attacking Lizardfolk on Zuri and Freya.
    snake #1 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[20] damage (1d4+4)[7] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[13]
    snake #2 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[19] damage (1d4+4)[5] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[5]

Attacking Lizardfolk on Beorn (if Beorn took his down already, have #3 attack Freya's and #4 attack Gaks'.)
    snake #3 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[16] damage (1d4+4)[5] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[10]
    snake #4 AC14, 15HP, 5THP, attack (1d20+6)[10] damage (1d4+4)[8] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[9]

Attacking Lizardfolk on Gaks
    snake #5 AC14, 15HP, 1THP, attack (1d20+6)[26] damage (1d4+4)[6]+2=8 poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[5]
    snake #6 AC14, 15HP, 3THP, attack (1d20+6)[21] damage (1d4+4)[5] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[11]
    snake #7 AC14, 11HP, 0THP, attack (1d20+6)[26] damage (1d4+4)[6]+2=8 poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[12]
    snake #8 DEAD

I think I have the HP right. Let me know if they took any more damage. Edit: I think some of them took damage last round but I can't read the tiny health bars. Edit2: updated based on damage details you added above.

She then casts magic missile (#3) for (3d4+3)[7] on the Lizardfolk right in front of her, if it's down already then the one on Gaks then the one on Beorn. If the snakes took them all down already, send the magic missile to the most injured ogre. Once all the lizard folk are down, she will move forward.

If all of the lizard folk drop, the snakes use any leftover movement to move south.

Spoiler: Giant Poisonous Snakes
    Show

Giant Poisonous Snake
    Medium beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Hit Points 11 (2d8+2)(+4 for shepherd druid = 15HP +11THP from Bear Totem)
    Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
    STR10 (+0) DEX18 (+4) CON13 (+1) INT2 (-4) WIS10 (+0) CHA3 (-4)
    Skills Perception +2
    Senses Blindsight 10 Ft., passive Perception 12
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: (1d4 + 4) piercing damage plus (3d6)poison damage. The target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking the poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-07-08 at 05:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

As the lizard went at her, Gaks instinctively lifted her shield and felt it expand around her, briefly growing and transmuting into a wider, bulkier shield. Before its weight could pull her to the ground it shrank again, but not before the clank of the lizardfolk's blow fell upon her larger shield. She grunted appreciation to her shield and directed her flaming sphere to crash against the knee of the same ogre she'd hit before once again, then let the flaming sphere die as she brought up a swirl of iridescent, seizure-inducing colors all around the two ogres to leave them frothing at the mouth and stunned.

Show
    The crocodile ends its turn within 5 feet of the flaming sphere and takes 4 fire damage; the ogre takes 6 and now I shall drop concentration on it to use Hypnotic Pattern on both Ogres now that they're far from anything smart enough to help them.

Hypnotic Pattern: Add WIS bonuses to
    Ogre A "Jeff": (1d20)[19]
    Ogre B "Also Jeff": (1d20)[8]
    On failure, charmed->speed 0 and incapacitated
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #547

Freya, depowered

"Ghh!! Not feel... magic..." Freya feels her connection to the weave of magic momentarily vanish and replaced with an emptiness. She shakes the feeling from her mind, trying to hold control on the Fly spell she has active. Freya draws her blade and levels it at the creature before her and Zuri.

"Try dispeling this blade." She thrusts forward to kill.

Show
    Two things--

Concentration check to keep the Fly spell going: (1d20+2)[3] vs. DC 10

Stabbing this lizardfolk in the face: (1d20+5)[21]
    If hit, damage is (1d8+2)[5]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn falls the last few inches back down to the ground, and worry flashes across her face. Spells ending were rarely a good sign. She takes a deep breath and bellows, "CLAN GEMBROOOOKE!" as she charges towards the ogres and their oversized garden snake. Shadows of halflings long past join her in her charge as she trades sword for javelin, hurling both at the giant crocodile. Her momentum brings her to a skidding stop next to one of the ogres, and she prepares her shield to take the worst of whatever beating was sure to come.

Spoiler
    Show
    RAGE
    Move:

Attack: (1d20+6)[17] for (1d6+3)[5]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[24] for (1d6+3)[6]
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

The lizardfolk that had tried to pierce Beorn's defences receives another set of bites from the surrounding snakes, but it's the aged warrior's blade that fells the speedy monk. Gaks' opponent falls likewise to the onslaught of serpentine assailants and collapses dead at her feet. The lizard that has penetrated into the "back lines" of the party still stands even in the face of blade, spell and venom and strikes at Zuri. She manages to shrug off his attempts to block her spells, though there are surges of pain that follow each hit.

Roswyn leaps down from the burning palisade, her foe dispatched. The javelins she tosses on the move at the crocodile pierce and stick in its scaly hide, sticking out in a grotesquely amusing fashion. The remaining hobgoblin, rapidly being surrounded by encroaching flames, shifts slightly but maintains his position atop the wall and fires another arrow that flies wide against the small target. Just as the ogre looks poised to drop its greatclub on the halfling's head, Gaks' spell ensorcels it and has it drop limp (though still holding the weapon).

The other ogre shrugs off the attempt to stop it, and instead strides forward and crushes one of Zuri's snakes with an enormous resounding smash that reverberates through the ground around you.

In retaliation for the javelins, the crocodile stomps forward and spins swiftly, unleashing an enormous tail swipe against the barbarian who barely catches it in time with her shield and hand. Such is the power of the spin that it temporarily blows back the flames in a wide circle around the crocodile. Under normal circumstances the force of the blow would have knocked her off her feet, but the bubbling rage in her heart allows Roswyn to stand her ground - a crucial save, as it allows her to evade the enormous jaws that almost swallow her whole.

Show

With regards to Rallying Mark applying to Beorn himself, opinions seem divided but I'm going to take cues from the Inspiring Leader feat (thematically even if not strictly textually) and say yes, it can work on your own hits depending on when you want to use the bonus action in your turn, so Beorn will heal himself this time.

Zuri takes 5 bludgeoning damage.

The ogre kills the (injured) snake.

Roswyn takes 16 bludgeoning damage (before resistances).

Freya's spellcasting returns!
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-07-09 at 06:53 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri's concentration save (1d20+6)[19] war caster advantage (1d20+6)[13]

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn shakes the reptilian blood from his blade and quickly assesses the situation. Roswyn would benefit from aid, but can hold her own for the moment. Gaks is screened from the ogre by snakes. Casters not casting is a problem and the nearest lizardfolk is just within his ability to reach; his blade is the most useful there. He hustles toward the nearest remaining lizardfolk, attacking from behind.
    Spoiler
    Show
    move 25' (3 squares diagonal NW, 1 N)

Attack 1 (1d20+7)[8] for (1d8+4)[7]

Attack 2 (1d20+7)[27] for (1d8+4)[8] + 8 crit damage for 16 total

Bonus: Help action on next attack against this target
    Last edited by stack; 2020-07-09 at 07:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Enraged by the attack hitting her, Zuri yells with fury at the snakes,

"Kill them all!"

She then bares her teeth and attempts to bite the lizardfolk that's still in her face.

The two snakes continue to help Zuri and Freya. With two of the lizardfolk down, the other snakes converge on the ogre and attack it from all sides.

Show
    Zuri uses primal savagery (1d20+7)[26] damage (2d10)[15] EDIT: If Beorn killed this lizardfolk first, she will instead cast a magic missile, either at the ogre if the snakes don't kill it first, or at the crocodile if the ogre is down too.

Attacking Lizardfolk on Zuri and Freya.
    snake #1 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[7] damage (1d4+4)[8] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[9]
    snake #2 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[9] damage (1d4+4)[7] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[5]

If the lizardfolk drops, the snakes move 30' south spreading out about 15'. Zuri will move southeast 30'.

Attacking Ogre
    snake #3 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[23] damage (1d4+4)[7] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[3]
    snake #4 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[19] damage (1d4+4)[8] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[13]
    snake #5 AC14, 15HP, 1THP, attack (1d20+6)[25] damage (1d4+4)[7] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[10]
    snake #6 AC14, 15HP, 3THP, attack (1d20+6)[9] damage (1d4+4)[5] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[11]

snake #7 DEAD
    snake #8 DEAD

I think I have the HP/THP right. Let me know if they took any more damage.

If the ogre drops, the snakes use any leftover movement to move south, keeping about 5-10' between them.

Show

Giant Poisonous Snake
    Medium beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Skills Perception +2
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: (1d4 + 4) piercing damage plus (3d6)poison damage. The target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking the poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-07-09 at 07:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

"Roswyn! Ignore the ogre! We can end that one at our leisure!" Gaks was the only person she knew who used words like "leisure" in such a panicked measure.
    "Zuri! Freya! Roswyn can't keep going like this for long! We need to get to her!"

And with that, Gaks moved south, but stayed on the other end of the snakes from the unaffected ogre, which she pointed at with a "Daach duun draal!"

Show
    Moving 25' down, moving a bit diagonally to keep the snakes between me and the ogre, and making sure it knows for whom the bell tolls.
    (1d20)[9] for its save
    (2d12)[6] I'm like 40% sure it's been hit but if not (2d8)[12]
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn had bigger problems than the ogre anyways, so she grips her sword to jab at the beast‘s scaly hide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[24] for (1d8+5)[11] + (1d6)[3]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[16] for (1d8+5)[13] + (1d6)[5]

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "Zuri! Freya! Roswyn can't keep going like this for long! We need to get to her!"

Freya

Her ears pick up the call to help a comrade who's short some backup help against Jeff and a handbag. Freya dashes to the south east, then attempts to weave a quick healing spell to send to Roswyn. If she can just get close enough to reach her...

Show
    I pray to Lady Luck that the lizardman on us is dead after getting pin-cushioned by Beorn and Zuri. If not... eh heheh, well fortune favors the bold, right? :x

Okay, Freya uses a Dash action and moves a total of 60 feet diagonally to the SE.
    If I counted the squares correctly, Roswyn should be just inside 60 feet for a bonus action Healing Word spell:

Spending a second-level slot, healing Roswyn for (2d4+4)[10] HP.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn's dashing intervention on the lizardfolk comes from behind and fells him in a single colossal stroke, bisecting the scaled monk from head to hip. It gives Zuri, Freya and the snakes free reign to head south. Zuri's magic missiles combining with Gaks' tolling bell and Roswyn's blade to lay into the crocodile, though the enormous amphibian stays strong. If anything you just seem to be making it madder.

The snakes finish off the north-ogre and all proceed south, forming a wide line in front of the majority of the party, sans Roswyn who is still battling it out behind enemy lines. Once again the crocodile spins its enormous tail and slams it down on the halfling. Once again she is threatened to be pushed off her feet. Any other man or woman may have been blown away. But right now, Roswyn is just too mad and her feet stay planted firmly in the caked dirt.

Seeing the flames encroach closer and closer, the hobgoblin gives up on staying atop the palisade and leaps down with sword in hand, longbow discarded. He rushes over to the remaining ogre and punches him in the hip, yelling for him to wake up. After a brief moment, the haze lifts and the ogre - seeing Roswyn still where she was previously - raises his club once more and brings it down upon the barbarian warrior. Even with her shield, rage and armour its immense weight is crushing.

Show

Roswyn takes 8 and 12 bludgeoning (before resistance).

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Four of the snakes converge on the ogre and hobgoblin, attacking with furious speed, while two go through the camp to try to reach the crocodile. Zuri screams with a mixture of anger and joy as she runs after the snakes, laughing maniacally as she commands them.

"Nice work my snakes! Kill them! Kill them all!"

Show
    I think the 2 most left snakes can't reach anything with 30' of movement so they will dash between the tent and crates to get to the crocodile but won't be able to attack.

The other 4 should be able to reach the ogre and hobgoblin so two will attack each of those.

Dashing to reach Crocodile
    snake #1 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, Dashing Through the Camp (to the tune of jingle bells)
    snake #2 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, To the Big Old Crocodile, Over the Crates They Go, Laughing All the While!

Attacking Hobgoblin.
    snake #3 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[21] damage (1d4+4)[6] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[3]
    snake #4 AC14, 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[9] damage (1d4+4)[7] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[14]

Attacking Ogre
    snake #5 AC14, 15HP, 1THP, attack (1d20+6)[25] damage (1d4+4)[6] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[9]
    snake #6 AC14, 15HP, 3THP, attack (1d20+6)[15] damage (1d4+4)[7] poison (DC11 for 1/2) (3d6)[4]

snake #7 DEAD
    snake #8 DEAD

Zuri then casts her 5th magic missile (3d4+4)[13] and targets ogre, then hobgoblin, then crocodile.

Show

Giant Poisonous Snake
    Medium beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Skills Perception +2
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-07-10 at 07:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn spins sharply as his foe falls, wasting no time in gloating or celebrating. He immediately works to close the distance to the center of the fight, calling out instructions as he goes, especially to Roswyn.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Darn, I should have specified that any extra attack goes to Roswyn.

Move "south"/down 25 feet

Action: 2 attacks to Roswyn

Outside of range for anything else

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn grits her teeth against the crocodilian assault, but leverages her firm stance into a hail of swipes and swings against the oversized lizard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[9] for (1d8+5)[13] + (1d6)[5]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[13] for (1d8+5)[9] + (1d6)[3]
    Still More Attack: (1d20+6)[9] for (1d8+5)[13] + (1d6)[2]
    Even More Attack: (1d20+6)[7] for (1d8+5)[6] + (1d6)[1]

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks gritted her teeth at the actions of the hobgoblin, but a plan emerged once she saw the three remaining enemies bunched up. A flaw with that plan came up when the snakes swarmed around the Ogre and Crocodile, but looking at Roswyn Gaks decided to go with it anyway as she lifted her wounded hand and the seizure-inducing lights sprouted all around the crocodile, the ogre, the hobgoblin, and the snakes. She then sent directions to Wibbles through her mental link with the bat and the one-eyed mammal flew off of Freya's shoulder and onto the nearest snake.

Show
    Hypnotic Pattern saves!

Ogre! (1d20)[1]
    Crocodile! (1d20)[2]
    Hobgoblin! (1d20)[9]

SNAKES!
    (1d20)[6]
    (1d20)[17]
    (1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[18]
    (1d20)[6]
    (1d20)[15]

Wibbles dashes 45 feet to be next to the snake. Next round he will begin helping them shake off the Hypnotic Pattern effects.

When the lights settled and Gaks saw that all of their opponents were still, frothing at the mouth, she nearly laughed. "Pick a target! Do not awaken more than necessary!"
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-07-10 at 05:22 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561

Freya supports Roswyn against the huge croc. Hmm, she doesn't have a giant crocodile tooth in her collection yet. She closes in ten feet and casts an Eldritch Blasting spell at the croc, then casting a quick healing spell to keep Roswyn going to outlast her enemies.

Show
    Freya moves 10 diagonally SW.

Eldritch Blast, two attacks on croc:
    A) (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage (1d10)[5]

B) (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage (1d10)[4]

Another second level Healing Word on Roswyn: (2d4+4)[7]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Despite Roswyn's best efforts to find a gap in the crocodile's scaly hide, her blade bounces off and it seems to take no damage from the onslaught of slashes. Freya's beams are no better, bouncing off the beast with no effect. The remaining ogre isn't so lucky. After receiving a barrage of magic missiles to the back of his head he turns, only for two snakes to leap onto his neck and face and down him with an enormous crash. The hobgoblin manages to block one snake but the other bites into his wrist, eliciting a yell of pain and fury - a yell that is quickly cut off when Gaks' hypnosis enraptures him and the crocodile. Regrettably a handful of Zuri's snakes are caught up at the same time, but as it's disabled the foes entirely, it's probably worth it.

Show

I took Gaks' snake saves north to south for ease. As expected, the croc and the hob don't have super powerful wis saves and are Incapacitated.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri holds off the snakes from further attacks, waking those that are enraptured by Gaks' spell.

"Which one should we kill first. I suggest the hobgoblin. Then we can surround the crocodile and finish it off last."

The snakes surround the hobgoblin waiting on Zuri's command.

Show
    She'll have the 6 snakes surround the hobgoblin and all attack at once when everyone else is ready. I assume we don't need to roll those since it will surely die in the initial attack.

The crocodile might not though, so then use these rolls for the crocodile. (if you feel the need to use these for the hobgoblin, then go ahead.)

All 6 surround the Crocodile once the hobgoblin goes down
    snake # AC14 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[15], damage (1d4+4)[8] poison (3d6)[7] (DC11 CON for 1/2)
    snake # AC14 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[24], damage (1d4+4)[5] poison (3d6)[11] (DC11 CON for 1/2)
    snake # AC14 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[22], damage (1d4+4)[6] poison (3d6)[17] (DC11 CON for 1/2)
    snake # AC14 15HP, 11THP, attack (1d20+6)[14], damage (1d4+4)[8] poison (3d6)[10] (DC11 CON for 1/2)
    snake # AC14 15HP, 1THP, attack (1d20+6)[8], damage (1d4+4)[6] poison (3d6)[4] (DC11 CON for 1/2)
    snake # AC14 15HP, 3THP, attack (1d20+6)[15], damage (1d4+4)[6] poison (3d6)[10] (DC11 CON for 1/2)
    snake #7 DEAD
    snake #8 DEAD

If the crocodile (or hobgoblin if that's how you want to do it) is still alive, Zuri casts her thorns whip (1d20+7)[20] damage: (2d6)[12] but does not pull the crocodile towards her.

Show

Giant Poisonous Snake
    Medium beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Skills Perception +2
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-07-11 at 07:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn's ineffectual hits cause her anger to boil over as she grips her sword firmly and lashes out with furious swings to fell the crocodile.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reckless Attack: (1d20+6)[22] or (1d20+6)[22] for (1d8+5)[7] and (1d6)[4]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[22] or (1d20+6)[15] for (1d8+5)[8] and (1d6)[4]
    Still More Attack: (1d20+6)[14] or (1d20+6)[15] for (1d8+5)[6] and (1d6)[4]
    Even More Attack: (1d20+6)[9] or (1d20+6)[24] for (1d8+5)[9] and (1d6)[3]

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Upon seeing Roswyn pick a target, Gaks tolled the bell for the crocodile. "Daach duun Draal!"

Show
    Wis save: (1d20)[10]
    Damage: (2d12)[6]
    Show

26. - Top - End - #566

Freya

Freya unleashes two more beams of Eldtritch power at the croc, adding to the assault.

Spoiler: Actions.
    Show
    Alright, two more strikes on the croc. Hopefully better this time!

Beam 1: (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage (1d10)[6]

Beam 2: (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage (1d10)[1]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

With your foes temporarily disabled it allows the party a half-moment to breathe before unleashing a simultaneous set of strikes on the enemy. Both crocodile and hobgoblin fall beneath the onslaught unleashed upon them spelling the end of checkpoint holding up potential reinforcements.

There wasn't a wyrmlord though, at least none you could note. Saarvith must still be out there, somewhere.

Show

Combat concluded. Unfortunately most of the loot went up in flames along with the rest of the blockade.

You do scavenge together 136gp, though the coins are a bit blackened.

Though possibly not technically correct to do so I'm using swamp and marsh roughly interchangeably because there's patches of both in the area and also repeating one word over and over again makes for poor reading.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks, once the immediate danger was gone, used her new eye to search for both invisible and magical items they’d overlooked, not speaking due to her aching throat.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #569

Freya

Once combat concludes, and the adrenaline of battle washes away, Freya watches the flames of her doing finish off the blockade. She looks saddened by the destruction she caused. Not that these mercenaries should have been spared death or that the fort should have been spared. No, it was that... well... Freya had sung of many stories in her short sad little lifetime and such destruction always seemed associated with the villains of her tales. The heroes were more... methodical. Cleaner in their battles to bring about justice with their victory. This... felt like raw chaos. It worried her a bit.

She didn't want to unleash this and accidentally kill someone innocent.

There was also the fact that with everything burning, valuable maps and notes may have been lost. Such intel is invaluable to her party, and she knew she had to do better to take care that she didn't destroy clues and information. As a bard, there is little more valuable than information. There's also possible treasures lost, such as magical equipment that could aid the party, but she was unsure if her spells could destroy such durable things. Maybe.... maybe not...

Freya softly sing to herself as she walks around the battlefield to close the eyes of fallen enemies.

"Maybe... you will think of me, when you are all alone,
    Maybe, the one who is waiting for you, will prove untrue,
    Then what will you do?
    Maybe... you will sit and sigh, wishing that I were near,
    Then, maybe you will ask me to come back again,
    And, maybe I will say 'maybe'...
    "
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-07-12 at 02:54 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri sits on the body of the crocodile and watches the flames engulf the rest of the camp, smiling at the destruction. She ties ropes to rocks and logs and gives one to each of the snakes, who take the ropes in their mouths. She pets her snakes and thanks them for their help, pointing to the east.

"Thank you, all. Drag these as far as you can and then return to your world with my gratitude."

As the snakes depart, she turns to the others, "We should leave when Gaks is done. These flames can be seen for miles and may attract attention. Hopefully the snakes will leave a trail for anyone to follow. We should go west while they leave a trail to the east."

Then she walks behind Freya and buries the bodies of the fallen.

Show

Show

Giant Poisonous Snake
    Medium beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Skills Perception +2
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
    Actions