New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

After a few quick words, the party gets itself into a rhythm of spell to smash to spell to smash, weaving magic and might together to steadily widen the cracks on the bridge. It's slow at first, with only a few dislodged stones coming loose, but the gashes in the stonework widen after the second Shatter spell. With the earth loosened and the stonework damaged, an almighty smash from Roswyn and Beorn create a full gap in the foundation. From there, physics takes its course. Cracks begin to weave and wend across it as the strain on the rocks breaks it apart. Then, very suddenly and all too quickly, the entire bridge starting from where you're stood begins to fall in a great wave of sound and fury. Bricks and earth and stone fall hundreds of feet into the gorge below, crashing into the ground with deafening noise. The skulls that gave the gorge its name are turned to dust and the flowing river below is quickly choked with dust and stone, immediately cutting off the majority of the water flowing from the western mountains as it forms an only slightly permeable dam. The drop of the bridge is enough to shake the ground around you, and any near the edge are forced to step back lest they fear following in the construct's wake.

The shaking earth wakes the northern sentries from their stupor, but after they take in the scene of the bridge destroyed and their leaders dead, they quickly disappear down the tower and look to be heading north away from you.

Skull Gorge bridge has fallen. While it may not stop the Red Hand on its own, a key victory has been won.

Spoiler: OOC/Spells used
    Show

2 Shatters
    3 Earth Tremors

What's next?

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

Rpswyn peers over the ledge to get a glance at the river below, frowning at the pitiful amount of water which manages to make it through the broken stonework. "Druids aren't going to be happy about that... Maybe we can convince some giants to clear the river later," she muses. Rivers were the lifeblood of trade and nature alike, but if she remembered the map correctly, this wasn't the only waterway which fed into the river by the town. She stows her flail for now and chuckles, "Gotta say though, didn't think we'd set out to destroy a bridge when we took up that offer in Drellin's Ferry."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn watches the ruin in contemplation for a moment. "I would not worry about the water. It still flows to this point and must go somewhere. It will overflow the ruin soon enough. Given the depth of the gorge, I have little worry that there will be any flooding."

He turns, looking at their fallen foes. "I wonder if anyone will believe that we slew a dragon here? Best be heading back the town; this will slow the enemy down, but if I can read a map, it won't stop them. Not if they are as powerful as they seem to think they are. Hopefully they don't have more dragons."

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri catches her breath after the excitement of destroying the bridge, smiling at the group's accomplishments.

"Nice job everyone. It always fun to fight beside all of you."

She nods at Beorn's comments about the water, and then replies to Beorn's mention of the dragon, "They have more dragons. They would have protected this one more if it were their only one. This one was young too. I'm sure a more powerful one is with the horde's leader. We should search the bodies of any that are on our side. Then I think I'd like to make a dagger out of the dragon's fang. I've heard you can make armor and cloaks out of their hide as well."

She draws her dagger and starts over to the dragon's body, selecting one of its canine teeth and cutting it out, and collecting enough of the smaller scales to hopefully let someone make her a suit of armor someday.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks sat down and opened her spellbook. She began chanting out Detect Magic, casting it as a ritual before examining the Commander and Krakash for anything worth keeping, particularly anything pinging Detect Magic.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn's face betrays an unease with harvesting parts from an intelligent creature, but he does not stand in the way. He does keep an eye on the far side, watching for any lingering archers or coming retribution. The mention of more powerful dragon's makes him keep an eye on the horizon as well.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Spamalot in the Playground

Freya

Freya has not spoken much to this point because she is furiously penning an epic tale of this battle. What embellishments will she add to this encounter? Eh, she'll leave that as a surprise later. Can't give away all her bardic secrets on the first draft. Freya glances at the remains of the encampment on the far side.

"They are now most aware that there is a force opposing them. Our next battles will be deadlier as they seek to destroy our efforts... and us," she says. "Returning to town is good. We can devise our next epic battles over some drinks and rest."

She wipes her sword clean and sheaths it. Freya appears to be fairly good spirits despite what she just said about the dangers increasing.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn aids Zuri with the field-dressing of the dragon, looking to claim a small tooth for her own as a trophy.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri leaves the teeth to Roswyn, grateful for the help. As she collects scales from the dragon and puts them in a pile next to her backpack, she has another thought.

"I could still go over and take a look at the camp if you all think it would be worth it. I could wild shape into a squirrel, crawl down into the ravine and back up the other side, look for any maps or correspondence in the camp, and then wild shape again once I need to return. Maybe Gaks' bat could scout it out for me first and make sure there isn't anyone still in the tents."

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Retrieved Items
    Show

Mundane Items:-
    Spoiler
    Show

Chain Mail
    Shield
    Quarterstaff
    Greatsword
    4 Javelins
    2 Longbows
    33 arrows

Gold: 51gp
    6 Pearls that were encrusted in the dragon's scales - probably valuable.

Spoiler: Interesting Items
    Show

(1d6+1)[3] dragon's teeth
    Enough scales to make (1d2+1)[3] pieces of equipment.
    Krakash's Glass Eye (which is faintly magical, oooh)

A Potion of Superior Healing (8d4+8 HP when drunk).

Also just confirm if you're going to be short resting before heading south.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    "I could still go over and take a look at the camp if you all think it would be worth it. I could wild shape into a squirrel, crawl down into the ravine and back up the other side, look for any maps or correspondence in the camp, and then wild shape again once I need to return. Maybe Gaks' bat could scout it out for me first and make sure there isn't anyone still in the tents."
    "That might be an idea... I do not believe the enemy will come back soon to this location. no point to."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn eyes the ravine. "Only if you are certain you can get back before the river flows again."

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded to Wibbles of the One Eye. "Do as Zuri instructs," she told it as she looked down at the glass eye. "There is something special about this. I will offer more details once we have found a place to lay."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Flying Scouts
    Passing over and through the dust cloud that used to be the Skull Gorge Bridge, you find the camp abandoned entirely. In the distance you can make out what you assume to have been the remaining inhabitants and the sentries left alive fleeing into the distance. The camp itself is sparse and minimalistic - as expected of a war camp. Shared tents with little decoration or ornament. The largest tent appears to have held Krakash and the leader, with scraps of paper and what are probably spell ingredients scattered around. Unfortunately it appears that they were more dilligent in destroying old notes than Koth was, as none of the papers have any sort of notation or information on them. Eyes are drawn to the large central fire in the centre of the camp and...yes, what looks like corners and bits of parchment left over from being incinerated.

Barrels and crates of food and water sit nearby, but it's nothing fancy.

All in all, there seems to be little left of note. You can at least be sure that the camp is abandoned.

Full Party

With the scouts reporting a lack of any useful information, the party heads south as planned for a short while before stopping to rest and recuperate. It's still early. Though the fight felt long, in truth it was over very quickly. Not even five minutes between combat being joined and the destruction of the bridge. You find a nice spot a small bit off the road near a stream - the water's no good to drink unpurified, but the cool liquid at least gives you a chance to clean yourself up and splash over your faces, a welcome refreshment against the scorching heat.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Short rest! Spend any hit dice, get back your short rest abilities, etc. Shifting to next event probably tomorrow evening? Maybe? RP freetime 'til then.

Spoiler: Krakash's Left Eye
    Show

Requires Attunement

Though Krakash's eye was lost naturally, and he still had perfect sight from his remaining eye, he sought to improve himself with its replacement, eschewing a curative spell in preference to an item of his own design. Its magic is weakest when held, but when implanted it manifests its true powers.

When held in the hand, the attuned individual can cast Detect Magic as an action freely without limitation. Should the eye be implanted into an eye socket, the attuned individual can also cast See Invisibility freely, and either Arcane Eye or Clairvoyance once per long rest. The glass eye, when implanted and attuned, grants normal sight also.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks opened the tin box in her mess kit and removed all the items. She lifted her waterskin to fill it but found that she'd emptied it during all the heat. She passed the waterskin to Wibbles. "Go fill this in the river," she ordered. sending the bat off to do so. She filled the mess kit with water and boiled Krakash's glass eye, then the dagger she'd used to remove it.
    "Zuri. Could you remove my left eye?" Gaks requested, then passed the dagger to Zuri.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri takes the knife, looks at Gaks one more time, saying, "Are you sure?"

Once Gaks confirms what she wants done, Zuri quickly inserts the knife into the eye socket just beside Gaks' eyeball, and twists it in the socket as she pulls the eye out, cutting the eye muscles to remove the eye.

She squeezes the juice from a Goodberry into the socket and has Gaks eat the rest of it, plus a couple extra, until the socket heals.

"That should work." Wiping the remnants of the bloody eyeball off and cleaning her hands.

She has never been more in awe of her friend.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded. How much could it hu- "AAARRGH!" Gaks roared as her eye was gouged out. She nonetheless held still while juice was squirted into her eye socket, and ate when instructed. Once she was ready, she took Krakash's glass eye and popped it into place. "Thank you, Zuri," Gaks nodded.
    Hopefully my head will not hurt forever from this.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn stays clear of the impromptu field surgery; he has seen enough of such matters in his time, though rarely quite so...elective. He cleans his gear, sharpens his blade, and generally makes himself ready for the next fight, whenever that may be.

19. - Top - End - #439

Freya will quietly play some music for the rest, which will help lift the spirits of her friends. She only falters at the sudden surgery, because that escalated rather quickly.

(Ooc: Song of Rest. If you spend hit dice to heal, add +1d6 to the total)

"Can I say you lost your eye as a result of the battle? It sounds more interesting to narrate than 'had idea while resting by the stream'."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded. "Whatever you like." She closed both eyes to focus on the new one over the rest.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn nearly falls over at the sudden removal of Gaks's eye. "Yeesh, nothing like gouging out an eye to prove your victory in battle," she jests. The sight of blood and a suddenly healed injury didn't bother her as much as it did that Gaks considered a part of her body (apparently) dispensable. "Can it do any tricks?"

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

"Not yet," Gaks responded. "I've learned its secrets, but now I must unlock them... once I do, I will be able to see into the Etherium that borders our world, and see what is beyond the sight of most at will."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443

"It brings to my mind, the legend of Vecna's Eye. A tale of sinister power sought, and betrayal of a friend."

Freya pauses for a moment, then adds, "Do not make us a sinister magic word, just in case." She smirks.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-06-18 at 04:39 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

With your rest and recuperation completed, the party continues to head south. The trek north was unpleasant enough in the heat, but today it's stifling, and at more than one time it feels like you may pass out at any moment. Shade is a precious resource, granting a momentary reprieve from "physically painful" heat when in direct sun to just "incredibly uncomfortable". This also means that more regular stops are required on the way and your pace is slowed. Thankfully, perhaps because of the heat, you encounter no one at all on your hike. The roaming beasts and patrols may be taking shelter from the unpleasant weather.

Whereas yesterday you managed to take a detour to Warklegnaw and still reached Skull Gorge with hours of daylight remaining, this time you are barely crossing the creek to the north of Vraath as dusk falls and a choice needs to be made - you won't reach town before night falls in the Witchwood, not for hours and hours yet. Whether to push on or find shelter is a decision that needs be made quickly, lest you be caught in indecision.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #445

Freya

"We are close to the keep. Perhaps we could see if anyone has claimed it and if not... we could use it?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

"I can generate a comfortable and secure campsite wherever we stop," Gaakach reminded everybody. She then looked around with the power of her eye to see if anything was invisible nearby. "We've no need for a keep."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "I can generate a comfortable and secure campsite wherever we stop," Gaakach reminded everybody. She then looked around with the power of her eye to see if anything was invisible nearby. "We've no need for a keep."
    "Oh, I was not sure if you had enough magic left to do that. Then I guess we find a safe place to make... bubble camp?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks snorted at the phrase "bubble camp," then the pent-up emotions built that up to a guffaw, then a series of laughs as she doubled over, clutching her sides.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn agrees to the early rest. Even for her, the weather was starting to take a toll. "Not like the gobs will reach the town before we get back if they have to march the long way through a forest."

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded and moved off of the road. She sat down and began chanting the incantation to create a comfortably temperatured Tiny Hut for the night.
    Show