New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Roswyn nods sullenly. As much as she wanted to, she couldn't promise the elder that she and her group could protect the town to their dying breath against a horde of hobgoblins. "The rest of our crew is speaking with the town leaders; I'm sure something'll be figured out. Ain't nothing lost yet."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Spamalot in the Playground

Freya spends the day at the tavern, writing prose on this adventure and easing the fears of citizens with some light humor of wordplay and song. She is quite at home entertaining the locals.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll update my sheet tonight (yay level up!) and see if there are any items to purchase.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks spent the day talking magic with Sertieren the Wise, writing out spells and explaining her spells to him - exchanging magical theory. It left her feeling... fulfilled. It was the magical academic discussion that she had never gotten and had always craved back at the Academy of Devastation.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Morlin is thankful for the extra incentive, and sets about his work immediately. Zuri leaves the smith to the roaring sound of a forge being heated and a tongs being clicked - no doubt eager to do a good job to retain as many scales for personal use (or sale) at a later date.

Soranna is found by Beorn at the central guard post, sans Norro, who as he said is apparently speaking with the other influential people in town one by one. Notably, he doesn't visit Serterien's manor. Indeed the scholar's home is free from visitors for the rest of the day. The good Captain, meanwhile, is directing preparation efforts. By the time Beorn tracks her down she's already dispatched a rider eastward to Brindol, alerting any towns in their path. Delora isn't with her - most likely tending to her stables. Norro may have been panicking, but Soranna seems to have things well enough in hand.

Spoiler: Morlin's Blacksmithing
    Show

Day 1: (1d20+4)[18]

Edit: That's a good start.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-06-25 at 05:22 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn sees the mages getting along like long-separated friends and excuses herself from the magical discussions after thanking the elder for his time and his tea. She decides to head over to the stables to check on Eustace, and maybe ask Delora on her thoughts of the situation. The woman struck her as ... what was that phrase the humans liked to use? One tough cookie.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

His immediate tasks completed, Beorn thanks the captain, then goes off in search of a meal. There seems to be little to do at the moment, so resting prior to whatever meeting the speaker is gathering seems the safest course.

7. - Top - End - #487

Freya takes a break from her performance to have a meal and study her notes of the adventure thus far. She asks the barkeep if there is a local hedge wizard or someone with a study that they don't mind allowing visitors to. Freya has some ideas on her magical studies to improve her assortment of tricks.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

The remainder of the day is spent remarkably relaxed - for the party at least - considering the news you'd brought. The calm before the encroaching storm, and perhaps the last semblance of 'normalcy' you might have for some time. Joining up with Gaks, Freya gets the chance to talk spells and magic with the elderly and easily embarassed halfling scholar. Roswyn's time with Delora is enlightening in a number of ways - as perhaps suspected she used to traffic in the same trade of adventuring before retiring, with a number of tall tales to tell - Beorn and Zuri spent time wining and dining in the inn. When you're not trudging through endless forests filled with hydras, dragons, manticores and more goblins than you can shake a stick at the weather's really quite charming. You can almost forget that there's an impending invasion just over the horizon.

For better or worse, Norro doesn't gather you that same day, and you're allowed a night of peace without the threat of imminent raids. Instead he collects you shortly after dawn's first light, once you've had a chance to scarf down some breakfast. Another day of clear skis beckons as you step into the open air of Drellin's Ferry once more. It's unlikely that Norro slept a wink last night, already dark bags hang under his eyes and his previous stable stance is hunched over slightly. He leads you quietly through the waking streets. Given the impending army, everyone around you seems to be in good spirits. It's unlikely they know the truth. Perhaps Norro is giving them some small reprieve before the news.

Day 6 - 6(?) Days until Drellin's Ferry

The Speaker's home is as you might expect it to be - open, warm, inviting, with a large collection of books in shelves and a spacious meeting area. It's well kept, and with the precision placement of items that you might expect from someone who - usually - carries himself as neat as Norro does. There are faces familiar and not among you though - Kellin the innkeep, Delora, Captain Soranna are among those you know, with two new faces. First is a man introduced to you as Iormel, tall and sour-faced he is evidently a person of some property in town, and his clothes reflect his wealth and standing. There's also a stout old man with a bald head who comes across as somewhat pompous dressed in robes emblazoned with a religious symbol who identifies himself as Brother Derry, priest of Lathander. Eleven people in total.

Norro, as speaker, stands at a podium at the head of the meeting area and motions for quiet from the chatting locals.

"Well, you all know why we're here." Norro begins without premable. "In a matter of days we're going to have an army of goblins, hobgoblins and monsters on our doorstep and a decision faces us - do we try to fight, try to talk to them or abandon our homes and flee?" He motions to open up the room for input and Delora immediately jumps in to fill the open air.

"I've seen towns put to the sword before. Death or slavery await us if we remain here. We must gather the things we can and flee east, the sooner the better!" Iormel stands in response to this, trying to speak over the stablemaster. "Now, hold on here Delora, we can't let them take everything we've worked so hard for, just because we lack the nerve to stand up to this rabble." Soranna glares at him but says nothing. Next, Kellin interjects, "They want treasure don't they? Let's give it to them this time, but see to our defenses. If they come back next year and ask for more we'll be prepared by then," which Brother Perry nods along to. "I find myself in agreement with Kellin. We should speak to them and try to reach a consensus, save any more killing or death."

Having heard their immediate thoughts, Norro gestures to the party. "As you well know these adventurers bravely brought us the news of the horde. I would have their views on this before we come to a decision." He turns and motions for you to come to the front and take his spot at the head, to face the town council and speak your case. "Do you think they can be negotiated with? Can we delay them with words or gold?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Any arguments made will need a corresponding check - persuasion, deception or intimidation depending on how you're phrasing it and your goal. I'm assuming that per previous posts the party's all on board with the "flee town" plan.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-06-26 at 05:19 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn frowns, listening to the leading townsfolk speak. When offered the opportunity, he stands, then rolls out the map on the tale, gesturing to have everyone take a look at it. As you can see, the enemy has designs far beyond extorting tribute. The intend to take Brindol and to destroy everything in their path. Slaughter and slavery will meet those that stay. Why would they negotiate? This is not a fortified city. Anything you have, they can take. This is an army that could spare a dragon for guard duty. This is not the place to make a stand; take what you can can and find shelter behind strong walls. Homes can be rebuilt, crops re-sown. I do not sweeten my words; I am an old soldier, I speak plainly."

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri claps solemnly at Beorn's words. She knows he is right. Zuri also knows that she is not the one to convince these people. She keeps quiet, except for the occasional "here, here" when she agrees. She whispers to Freya.

"Freya, convince these people they need to flee. People listen to you."

Show
    Help action for Freya's persuasion roll.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn is of a similar mind. "This ain't a rabble of goblins looking for a new shiny toy. We fought against a minotaur, a manticore, and a dragon who were alongside these Red Hands. That's enough power to raze an undefended town on their own, and that's not even the full crew. That's the bunch they sent ahead because they didn't think we'd catch 'em off guard. Whatever's coming is gonna be bigger, meaner, and full of sharp teeth and dragonfire. Not to mention whatever else they might bring along that we hadn't scouted."

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess it's an intimidation roll; they should be scared of what's coming. [roll]1d20+4[/roll]
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2020-06-26 at 08:20 AM.

12. - Top - End - #492

Freya clears her throat.

"I know what it is like to lose your home. I am in self exile from mine. I miss it many times... but to go back would mean my death. Is to die worth going to a piece of land that holds only memories of my childhood? I do not believe so."

Freya stands up. "You have good memories here. You built this town and it is your livelihood, but it is not your lives. If the Red Hand comes they will raze this land. You can rebuild that, but if you all stay, they could slaughter you and all will be left is a footnote in bard tales."

"We bought you some time. I would say use it to take your families and go east. Warn the other towns you reach, have them send word to their leaders to muster an army. We will do what we can to slow them down."

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Diplomacy check (1d20+10)[12] ooc result: 21

If Freya gets advantage from assistance:
    (1d20+10)[12]
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-06-26 at 11:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks frowned and pulled out the holy symbol of Tiamat. She looked around briefly to see if anything invisible was nearby, then passed the holy symbol to Freya, who she was getting to understand after talking magic with her for a few hours. "They never talked of treasure," Gaks said. "The first one we captured said that we were all going to die. Us 'and the rest of the wretched humans in this hole.'"
    She then pulled out the map. "Allow me to translate the Goblinoid," she said, pointing to various points. "This says 'destroy all in our path.' This says 'death to the humans.' This? This actually says 'ha! No! Mercy!' and has a drawing of a human being stabbed saying 'ah!'" Gaks put special attention on that one, then pointed to the bottom right. "This point actually says 'take prisoners.' It then goes on to say that 'Targarun wants halflings to eat.'"

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

The assembled group listen to your arguments, with Kellin looking particularly perturbed at the proposed eating of halflings. Having already seen the map, Soranna, Delora and Norro leave it for the other three to scrutinise. "Well, they could have faked this. I mean, she's one of them isn't she?" Iormel points at Gaks. "Just trying to drive us out of our homes so they can have free reign over our hard-earned gol-" Kellin cuts him off before he can continue."Oh shut up Iormel. Nothin' I've seen of any of these and theirs says anything but them being decent souls wanting to do the right thing." "How dare yo-" The property magnate begins to raise his voice but is cut off when Norro coughs pointedly from the head of the room, having retaken his spot at the podium.

"We shall put it to a vote." He says simply, definitively. A rare show of force for the man, but commanding regardless. "All in favour of negotiations?" No hands are raised. "None in favour." He scratches a small note on the parchment in front of him with an elegant quill and more elegant quillmanship. "All in favour of fighting?" Iormel's hand raises half-heartedly, though even he doesn't seem totally convinced. "One vote in favour." Another scratch on the parchment. "All in favour of evacuation?" Delora, Brother Perry and Kellin's hands raise. The Captain's hands stay down.

"Soranna? You've been quiet the whole meeting." Norro asks, his voice tired, but not unkind. "I do not believe it is my place to influence the decision, just to carry it out." She replies matter-of-factly. "Even so, I-" Norro catches himself mid-sentence. "We would appreciate your thoughts." The Captain looks hesitant but finally concedes the point. "We have no chance as it stands, adventurers with us or no - our only option is to retreat to Brindol." The Speaker smiles warmly and scratches a tally on the parchment. "With that and my own vote we have five in favour of evacuation." He pauses and lays down the quill. The vote going this way seems to have revitalised the worried Speaker, giving him newfound confidence and certainty. "We need to begin preparations immediately. Elderly and children first. Whatever carts, carriages or other transportation we can get we'll need. It's a long road to Brindol, and I want everyone on it by sundown tomorrow."

Soranna begins giving instructions - quickly, efficiently, with Delora at her side to the other three council members while Norro pulls you aside. Given the speed with which she rattles them off, she likely had this already planned in case this was the decision.

"Thank you for joining us today. I...don't know what we would have done without you, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Do you have any idea about where you're going next? I don't want to impose further on your goodwill, but I know that Lord Jarmaath in Brindol will reward you if you can help."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri is relieved that the town leaders have voted to evacuate. She did not want to see all of these civilians die in a futile attempt to defend or bargain for their town. The buildings and farmland will be ruined, but the people might still be saved.

She smiles at Norro, "We will of course accept a reward if it is offered, sir. But mostly we want to help. The more people we can save the better. As you retreat, I recommend you destroy any food supplies you can't take with you and burn your fields as you go. The oncoming army will have trouble advancing if they cannot feed themselves."

A quick thought pops into her mind and she turns to the other party members, "Someone remind me later to talk to Morlin to make sure he doesn't try to stay and finish my armor."

She then turns back to Norro, "While you evacuate the townsfolk, how can we help you?"

16. - Top - End - #496

Freya

"We have a few days before the army arrives. I would like to go out and fight some of their raiding parties. Maybe capture some to see where the army food is coming from. Hit that, starve their soldiers?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

"Anything you could do to disrupt them would be appreciated." Norro nods thankfully. "I didn't connect it before Miss Gaks was talking earlier." He pulls out the copy of the map that they were sent and unfurls it. "While you were in the Witchwood we had some word of a blockade along the Rhest trail in the northeast, no travel seems to be possible to or from the Vale by that route now. Before I thought it was just another stroke of misfortune, a coincidence." He taps at the word 'Saarvith', located near the trail. "Now I'm not so sure. If these Red Hand do mean to take the Vale entirely, then they may have blocked the trail to stop word getting out or reinforcements from neighbouring countries in. This...Saarvith..." He struggles over the word. "They may be responsible. Only it will take some time to reach there, is my concern." Again, he points to spots on the map as he speaks.

"You could take a boat up the river or horses to head across river at Talar up the trail directly. The boat would be faster but possibly more dangerous. Even then you're looking at the better part of a week or longer to get there." He sighs. "But that's assuming I'm even right and not just jumping at shadows. Whatever your path to do from here on, I can know it'll be the right choice." He gives a warm smile to you all.

Show

Just as a reminder as it's been a while, Saarvith was described as a goblin Wyrmlord - equivalent in rank to Koth, but the hob you interrogated didn't know much about them or their orders. That was back on page 11.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri considers the speaker's request, looking to the others for guidance.

"I don't think we can write this off to coincidence. Saarvith is a goblin wyrmlord, but we don't know much else. If they are leading a force down the Rhest trail, they could cut off your retreat, attacking your caravan in the open. This seems more important than my plan for a guerrilla war. You should still burn all of your crops and destroy any food that you can't take with you, but there is more urgency in your retreat than we first thought. The town must go quickly. If you get cut off and can't make it to Brindol, could you turn south and seek refuge in the Hammerfist Holds?"

"We could ride ahead, and warn Terrelton, Nimon Gap and Talar before turning north onto the Rhest trail. I think horses on a good road will be faster than boats going upstream against the current. What does everyone else think?"

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

“I can provide us with fast mounts that do not tire or require food,”
    Gaks said.
    “But I can also decrease the dangers of the river by enabling us all to breathe underwater. I’ve had some epiphanies recently, and in either case I am prepared.”
    Show

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

"What is this ghostlord the map mentions? Does anyone know of such a person?" Beorn indicates the marking.

21. - Top - End - #501

"Magic mounts would be most magnificent for movement," Freya says in agreement. She looks at the marker Beorn points too, but doesn't believe she knows the answer.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn perks up at the chance to take a boat. "As long as the boat is in good shape, I can get us up and down any river we need to go. Might as well take the faster way if we can, right? If we can knock down more goblins who don't see us coming, we should take the chance."

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Dice Roll
    Show

deletedpost

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-06-28 at 03:59 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

"The Ghostlord?" Norro mutters for a moments, clearly deep in thought. "I think..." He turns and walks away from the group, past the Council's chairs to one of his bookshelves, idly fingering at tomes before tugging one out and flipping through it. "Ah, yes, that's it. An old tale, not really common knowledge these days but it's still told around some campfires."

"I'll try to abridge some of the more...lengthy portions. These tales speak of a once-proud druid who dwelt in the verdant plains south of Rhest and led several tribes of nomads. These nomads were said to have built a massive lion of stone in honor of this great druid, who taught them the ways of the lion and how to live at peace with these proud creatures. Yet when dark times fell on Rhest, their shadow also fell upon the lions' plains. It began when nobles visiting from Rhest arrived in the region."

"The nomads befriended the nobles but were betrayed by them when the visitors hunted down and killed a lion monarch for its pelt and claws. The nomads reacted with violence, slaying the visiting nobles to a man. Rhest answered in kind, and its army marched against the southern plains. The disorganized nomads stood little chance against Rhest's military might, and the tribes were slaughtered despite the fact that the lions rose to defend them. "

"The warriors of Rhest confronted and slew the druid between the paws of his own massive stone shrine. But the night after the warriors returned to their city, doom came to Rhest. Ghost lions prowled the streets, stalking and killing anyone they came across. When the dawn came the entirety of Rhest's cavalry, including families, servants, and squires, lay dead. Rhest never recovered from this night of terror, which marked the beginning of the decline of that once proud nation. In the years since, the once-verdant hills to the south have grown horrid and tangled. The Thornwaste is all that remains, some say still haunted by the murdered druid's spirit."
    Norro closes the tome and returns it to the shelf.

"A good story for a spooky night on the dark road, but not one to put much stock in, in my experience. Mayhap the horde have picked up the old traveler's tale and wish to play it safe?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri is fine with either boats or ghost horses. She'll let Gaks and Roswyn sort that out. She listens intently at the description of the Ghostlord and Rhest, feeling sympathy for the nomads, the druid and especially the lions.

"I think Rhest deserved it. Killing defenseless lions. Norro, what do you think we could expect to find in Rhest without the goblins? What kind of place is it now? Do you know of anyone there we could reach out to when we arrive?"

26. - Top - End - #506

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    "A good story for a spooky night on the dark road, but not one to put much stock in, in my experience. Mayhap the horde have picked up the old traveler's tale and wish to play it safe?"
    Freya considers the tale. "Maybe it is just a story, but too many story have roots in real history. Something to think about when we next depart out."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

We know that these wyrmlords are officers commanding locations of some import, so learning about and disrupting their activities seems a wise course. We do not know what the import of this ghostlord is to their plans; perhaps we can question a more highly ranked captive. Act on what we know, not what we don't."

"When the far side is fully evacuated, make sure you burn the ferry and anything else that could make crossing easier."
    Last edited by stack; 2020-06-29 at 12:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Norro thanks you for the advice, assuring you they will leave as little for the horde as possible, even if it means they'll have more to rebuild when the time comes. Iormel seems to overhear this as he glowers in Norro's direction, but says nothing, still collared by Soranna.

The party leaves them to it and is soon back in the outside. Summoning a full set of steeds for the party is time consuming work - almost a full hour - so it gives Zuri ample time to find Morlin and relay the message about the evacuation, and that the money is still on offer if you can pick up the armour in Brindol. Safety is, after all, the most important part. He's thankful for your understanding, having already started on the armour he promises to have it finished when hopefully you next see each other. The remainder of the party may spend their time relaxing, or potentially assisting with evacuation efforts that begin in earnest soon into the summoning. Any extra pair of hands is useful, after all, though no one would begrudge you some time of peace and those who spend their time quietly out of the way receive no negativity for doing so.

Barely past the eighth bell in the morning the string of phantom horses is complete. Their exact appearances are determined at Gaks' will, but all five have the same spectral-blue aura, especially around the hooves and eyes. They obediently follow every instruction and soon enough you're off, streaming down the country roads at blistering speeds. Perhaps the only one who can't enjoy this is Gaks, who spends almost the entire journey quietly chanting, shaping spell runes with her hands and concentrating intensely on generating new steeds when one looks to be dissipating.

You make excellent time though. Tireless mounts that travel faster than flesh and blood carry you across the Vale at unexpectedly swift speeds. The riders that Soranna dispatched yesterday had a headstart though, and by the time you reach Terrelton and Nimon Gap on your road you find them already with their evacuation process in full swing. It seems that their councils came to similar conclusions to Drellin's Ferry. Though the steeds may not tire, those unaccustomed to riding may start to find it quite uncomfortable and it's a merciful blessing for them (and Gaks's voice) when you reach Talar as the sun is setting.

While you could continue on in the night, this does mark a fine place to stop and rest. You arrive barely after Soranna's rider, who has already left for Brindol. While Norro's town council was held in the quiet of his home, it seems Talar does things quite differently. As you ride up it's impossible to miss the shouting match currently behind held on the main road. Context from the yells denotes that the 'council' seems split between some of the more elderly members who wish to stay, against a young woman (almost too young - at a guess she may not even be an adult), who seems to be the Mayor, attempting to browbeat them into an evacuation. The strange thing is, it seems like she might be winning them over, and after they notice you ride up, it seems the elder ones give in and throw up their hands in defeat. The voice of the youth, and of caution, has won out.

The woman - Lady Celiira Nesten - offers you her home to stay in, having received a semi-detailed description of you from Soranna in case you did come this way overnight. It's a comfortable affair, and you have the home essentially to yourself with its baths and other luxuries since Celiira spends the rest of the night organising things without sleep or rest.

Day 7 - 5(?) Days until Drellin's Ferry

Mayor Nesten provides a modest breakfast for you in the morning (despite being tired) before you're back on the road - no doubt Gaks' throat feeling the strain, but pushing through regardless as you cross the river astride five new horses heading north. Whether it the speed of your mounts or the route you took you're free from attack and the light clouds in the sky allow for easy travel. Well, as easy as can be expected for two days of hours on end anyway.

You stream through the town of Witchcross onto the Rhest trail itself, barely stopping to look back - they weren't in the immediate path of the Red Hand, and news would reach them soon enough if it hadn't already.

For hours and hours you press on into the late afternoon, the Witchwood at your west giving way to the swampy muck of the Blackfens that stretch into the horizon. Far off in the distance across the swamp, miles and miles west of you, is the Red Hand. You can't see it, you can't hear it, but you know it's there. On the move.

Up ahead a crude, ten-foot-high palisade of logs has been erected across the road, extending forty-feet to either side and completely blocking all passage. Even far off you can glimpse a movement up on the walls, and spy a hobgoblin archer leaning against a post, chin on his chest. A path breaks off just before the palisade into the marshes, and a small stream is runs just in front of the wall, preventing an easy way across. It doesn't seem deep enough to require swimming (save, perhaps, for Roswyn) certainly doesn't seem to be toe-deep either. This far off you can't see more than the one figure clearly. A small bridge crosses the stream to a closed wooden gate.

Show
    Phew, big post. I considered giving a break for party RP in Talar but thought it best to move along. Maybe I was wrong? Put opinions in the OOC thread if you feel strongly, but it's already done now :P For now there's a road blockade to deal with.

Phantom steeds halving that journey time something fierce. You'd be on Day 9 at minimum without them.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-06-30 at 06:32 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri is a little tired from the journey, but not too bad. The phantom steeds make for a much smoother ride than a real horse, and likely travel twice as fast. She enjoyed meeting Lady Nesten in Talar, but like the others, was tired from the first day of the journey and was not as talkative and cheerful as she could have been. Still, she was polite, thankful for the hospitality, and truly hopes to see Lady Nesten again.

"Gaks, great idea and great work on the steeds. They've saved us at least a couple of days over the boats and living horses. We are all grateful."

When she sees the hobgoblin, she quickly backs up to get out of view so they are not spotted.

"I assume this palisade means that Rhest has fallen or is currently under siege. What does everyone want to do with the hobgoblin on the wall? Maybe the bat can see if there are more? Or I could crawl up there as a badger and look myself if we need me to. Once we know what we are dealing with, we could walk upstream and find a place to cross that's out of sight. The palisade walls can't go on forever."

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn takes a mental image of the defense, then retires from view of the defenders. "One way or another, we do not want to attack from the road. Clearing the blockade would mean it was not there to hinder us coming back, or any messengers or scouts. We could go around and ignore it though. If we attack, I would like to be across the river with Roswyn before they are aware of it."