New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Aetus

With a laugh of triumph, Aetus sees the evil cleric fall to his shafts. He turns his attention to the dual wileding hobgoblin still standing.

"Let's see if you fare better than your brethen!"

he taunts in goblin. Once again, guided by Beorn, he let's loose four arrows in quick succession.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Atk1 (1d20+4)[5] or (1d20+4)[12] or (1d20+4)[21]
    Dmg (1d8+16)[20] plus (1d6)[1] Hunter's mark

Atk2 (1d20+4)[16]
    Dmg (1d8+16)[20] plus (1d6)[5] Hunter's mark

Atk3 (1d20+4)[21]
    Dmg (1d8+16)[24] plus (1d6)[3] Hunter's mark

Atk4 (1d20+4)[15]
    Dmg (1d8+16)[18] plus (1d6)[4] Hunter's mark

(1d8)[3] if any roll crits

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Freya, Bard

With the second wave seemingly dispatched, Freya turns her attention to the trio caught in the hypnotic pattern. She moves five feet south from her position to line up with her party and readies her crossbow. In her mind she considers some stronger magic for when they snap out of their trance. Perhaps a sleep spell? Or maybe a blast of sound to shatter their confidence?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn holds her ground; if the goblins didn't want to engage, she could wait for them to be taken out by the others. She hurls more javelins at the pair, assuming they're still standing. If they were both to fall before or after her javelins skewered them, she would turn back and run to help tackle the three sleepyheads.

Spoiler
    Show
    Throw up to two javelins at any of the two southern enemies still standing.

Javelin Throw 1: (1d20+6)[23] for (1d6+3)[9]
    Javelin Throw 2: (1d20+6)[20] for (1d6+3)[4]

If they're both down before Roswyn gets to act, Dash back towards the road. If they're both dead after Roswyn has attacked, spend normal move back towards the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Between the arrows, the wasps and the javelins the two hobgoblins to your south fall quickly, barely having a chance to retaliate, leaving only the injured hound and the two others remaining to the north - still locked in a trance. The battle, as sudden as it started ends as swiftly, leaving you to decide the fate of those who remain. It's ominous, almost, how quickly the quiet was broken and how quickly it returns. Adrenaline's still pumping through your veins, the high of combat almost throwing you off balance with its sudden stop.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ending the combat here because you've essentially got free reign over the remaining three depending on what you want to do with them - you absolutely *slaughtered* the rest. If you want to kill them it'll go off without a hitch, likewise if you want to take them prisoner.

The ambusher's gear holds little of interest beyond their weapons and armour - the cleric does have a holy symbol (DC10 Religion to identify). A search of the farmhouse the reinforcements came from reveals what looks to be three guards or soldiers in chain shirts and, going off his clothes, a merchant. Piled on the floor is a mound of gold - 355 pieces in all, presumably looted from the now dead merchant.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn sees the sharpest threat end quickly. He turns back to the North. "Finish off the dog. We should try to take one bandit alive for questioning."

Not speaking goblin himself, he leaves the actual questions to others while he helps investigate the house. "Looks like we aren't their first prey, though we will be their last. Anyone recognize this?" He holds up the holy symbol recovered from the cleric.
    Spoiler
    Show
    religion (1d20-1)[11] - huh, guess it was a rhetorical question
    Last edited by stack; 2020-04-14 at 06:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Lowering his bow, Aetus touches his palm to his head and to his heart, thanking one of his gods.

"Geliatish naryanna Solonor Thelandira"

After that, he surveys the field.

"That was a good battle, hest Beorn. We did good. Keep one alive, I will question it in Goblin. The dog, we kill"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn gathers her thrown javelins. Once they've been retrieved and cleaned of blood, she moves to finish off the last guard-beast with an expert thrust of her last javelin. "Sorry pup, but you picked some lousy crew-mates." The halfling then moves to the remaining goblinoids, and asks, "So, which one we questioning? I can try and hold 'em still for ya, or we can tie 'em up while they're three sheets to the wind."
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Neither is an it... and since we can leave both alive we should have no trouble doing so.
    Thinking the words came easily, but opening her mouth... wasn't her place. Instead she reached out for the holy symbol to examine it, first reaching out with her right hand, then switching to her left at the pain of opening her fingers. She turned it over in her hands to get a good look.
    Spoiler
    Show

Religion!
    (1d20+7)[25]
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri passes out the gold so everyone gets their share. She's not sure we should leave any of the hobgoblins alive but doesn't want to offend Gaks.

"Aethus and Gaks, I'll let you two decide what to do with any prisoners. We still have the wasps for the next hour so they can surround any you keep alive while you question them."

She'll search the merchant and guards in case there is still anything of value.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-04-14 at 09:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"Best to tie them regardless. If they try to get away and the wasps kill them, they can't talk." Beorn produces a rope and binds the captives.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

"It seems like Aetus has made his decision," she responded simply. She was pretty sure this thing was a
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus, at the process of salvaging arrows and helping tie up the prisoners, he turns surprised to Gaks.

"I have? On which subject? Enlighten me."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

"On our attackers. You said to leave one alive."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

"One, or both. It is the same to me. I would like some information, because these were no mere bandits. Clerics, hounds, archers... this is more than a passing warband. But dead or alive, it is the same to me. Though I think that setting them free would be foolish"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Gacs nodded, but kept her attention locked on the holy symbol in her hand.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

Freya puts her weapon away and considers an ending to this tale better than a sudden de-escalation as swiftly as it were. Well, she'll consider it later wen she pens the tale. Right now the road is a mess with bodies. She says a pray to whatever deity would listen for peace and if any of the dead attackers have cloaks, Freya uses those to cover their faces. It's at least a bit of dignity.

Hot and sweaty, Freya sips her water and checks to see if any prisoners were taken.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

With one of the hobgoblins and the hound executed, only one remains. Once he's tied to a nearby tree and relieved of his weapons he's woken up. It doesn't take him long to realise what's happened from the body's of his comrades. He doesn't seem receptive to speaking however, and instead glares silently at you. If looks could kill, it would probably have been more effective than his bow was.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    It's the holy symbol of Tiamat, the Chromatic Queen of dragons. Each of the five claws that made the symbol is made up of a different colour, with the red one pointing straight up as its most prominent.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach snarled and showed the holy symbol to the prisoner.
    Spoiler: Goblin
    Show
    "Tiamat? What link does she have to you? She cares not for us, only for her scaled offspring."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn reaches for her flail and gives it a few hefty swings. "I suggest you start talkin', the crew here aren't the particularly patient types. Especially when it comes to scum ambushing travelers on the road."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+4)[15]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn considers the question raised by the holy symbol. "A dragon cult among hogoblins. Gaks, you ever hear of such a thing? Maybe it is just local. Might know more in town."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

The hob purses his mouth at the sight of the holy symbol. Perhaps he had hoped the cleric might make an escape and not be killed. He seems to understand Common, though whether it's lack of fluency or simple choice he replies back solely in goblin. "Or haar Voc dakhaan ogaar an! T-" He stops himself suddenly, and swallows that thought before continuing. "Lhon mech ghaan ar o'kaan huuc duun. A'gh khruur aklal duun draal. O'k ach dhuul'duul ghaan tuuc, o ac daan kaan or daan daakhaal molkac ac den muul'daan."

Show
    "Our great Queen watches over us! Sh-"
    "Just kill me if you're going to. I'm not afraid to die. You'll all follow me soon, you and the rest of the wretched humans in this hole."

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "Truly? We seemed to have an easy time with your leader and spiritual leader. I think we'll be just fine."

In Gaakach's experience with army-type hobgoblins, they hated to answer questions. But they loved to correct you.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

The hob lets out a barking laugh, short and harsh. "Ha! Daan daagaan ghaagaal'dec daan dher or daan dher. Daan agec or Koth an kaarlec." He realises too late what he's said, and starts struggling against his bonds to try to escape before any further questions can be asked.

Show
    "Ha! We were merely the first of the first. The army of Koth is legion."
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-04-15 at 12:16 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Gaks is doing pretty good job of interrogating the goblin. Aetus sees a way to get more information, by being an elf.

"Hah hah! Greerht shrata duun clanssh chtipis kellnu aste polgori, te perigh da drujhe legeri. Derghen gradf di eder Koth, likjer di doomo?."

Show
    "Hah! You pigskins think every little welp that can swing a club to be a warlord, and every rag tag band of a dozen whelps to be a legion. What did this Koth do, bring up a wolf and tell you it was a demon?"

25. - Top - End - #55

Freya just watches the back and forth, having no idea what is being said and looking pretty curious.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

The hob ignores Aetus' boast, still twisting against his bonds. You hear a sickening crack and realise that he's managed to snap one of his arms in the struggle, but it doesn't deter him and he keeps struggling, albeit slower than before and with a few more grunts of pain. The snapping of his arm seems to have given him some leverage though, he's moving further than before, though he's still tied to the tree.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Since she doesn't speak goblin, Zuri didn't understand any of the interrogation, but she sees the prisoner trying to free itself and offers to help, motioning at the 3 remaining wasps.

"Aethus and Gaks, have you gotten all of the information you think you can from this hobgoblin? I can have the wasps finish him if you want."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If the prisoner frees himself and tries to move at all, She will have the wasps attack.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn plants a boot against one of his shoulders and gives him a serious, but harmless, smack upside the head with a free hand. "Quit squirmin' and keep talkin'. I'm sure you've got plenty more secrets to spill."

Spoiler: I am Halfling, Hear me Roar
    Show
    Strength to prevent him from more self harm: (1d20+3)[19] (+3 if Athletics applies, wasn't sure)
    Intimidation so he hopefully knocks it off and keeps spilling his figurative guts: (1d20+4)[11]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

The interrogation appearing to be well in hand, Beorn looks into the prospects for burying the dead merchants.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

When she realizes what Beorn is trying to do, she says "I can help with that." Still keeping one eye on the prisoner in case she needs to command her wasps, she waves her Yew wand for a few moments, digging 4 parallel 10' long, 5' wide, and 5' deep trenches. Once the bodies are deposited in the trenches she fills them over with the dirt she had removed.

Spoiler
    Show
    So 8 castings of mold earth to make the trenches and then another 8 to cover them back up. Mold earth is my favorite cantrip.