New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Roswyn can feel the wood of the tiller groaning against the strain as her knuckles turn white as she keeps the boat as steady as she can. The sudden explosion of fire was definitely something she had wanted to see, but she was suddenly wondering how the goblins they were hunting dealt with this, since the group was supposedly headed towards somewhere the goblins were hiding. Surely not by holding their breath and moving through ... would they set their own fires here? Did the lizardfolk have something to do with it? Thoughts for later, she surmised, for now she would keep the boat on track.

Roswyn smirks, and adjusts her headband as she prepares to bring the ship to shore. "Always ready!"
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2020-08-21 at 09:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn appreciates the scale of the deflagration, lamenting that they couldn't use it directly against the enemy horde.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

He nods, "Securing the flank before going into the ruin is the wise course."

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri looks to the others to see what they plan to do, "Should we approach this outpost by boat in case we need to speed past them, or should we beach the boat and approach by foot?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

"Can we hide the boat?" Gaks asked. "So that we can take it back?" she looked about for a hiding place, including one that was invisible.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #755
    Spamalot in the Playground

If anything, Freya at least appreciated that her own fireball spell was not THIS destructive. Maybe it's blasphemy for a bard not to outdo something in grandeur, but then explain the subtlety of a good lullaby.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "Roswyn, Freya," she began. "Do you feel ready to have another battle today?"
    Freya takes in a deep breath.

"If it is by fate's maw that I am to die today, then I shall give fate the worst meal of its existence."

She could have died in the earlier skirmish with the plant creatures due to her casual carelessness. This fight is a chance of redemption--be not only more cautious of her surroundings, but more decisive to take the offensive. And that means not to be timid with attacking these lizard folk.

She's still a bit scared here, don't think otherwise, but Freya is going to push forward past her fears and fight to see the next sunrise.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

"If we land, we can approach the camp on foot, then find a suitable hiding place for it afterwards."

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded. "Very well," she said to Beorn, trying a comforting smile to Freya.

Spoiler
    Show
    How well do I smile?

(1d20-1)[17]!
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #758

During the rest period, Freya will softly hum a tune to aid her comrades. It is a peaceful melody.
    (Song of Rest, +6 HP)

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Gaks nodded. "Very well," she said to Beorn, trying a comforting smile to Freya.

Spoiler
    Show
    How well do I smile?
    (2d8)[8]!
    Freya loses the battle of wills and smiles back. She whispers, "Maybe this battle not so bad. Lizards do not... turn into Freya that I know of."

Spoiler: Short Rest roll
    Show
    Spent 2 dice on the short rest: (2d8)[8]

With the Song of Rest, that should get Freya up to full.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-08-21 at 07:42 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks had no idea what that meant, but she agreed with the plan of getting off of the boat and removing the threats.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn prepares to bring the boat in for a landing, as quietly as she could.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri casts a spell on herself that makes everyone a little quieter and able to step little lighter, "This should help us sneak up to them and then back here. But I won't be bale to summon any help for us now. Let's see what Wibbles can find out for us before we approach."

Show
    Casts Pass Without Trace and concentrates on it.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Wibbles can't get to close for fear of discovery - a bat flapping around in the middle of the day would catch the attention of anyone. Even more so the lizardfolk who are actively on guard. The outpost looks to be a repurposed human shack rather than something they made themselves, built up against a great tree. It's in a state of partial repair, with haphazard plans here and there that the lizardfolk seem to have used to cover up holes or shore up its walls. There's a small jetty with a boat, which looks water-worthy, albeit smaller and almost certainly less magical than yours.

Thanks to the familiar's scouting, you know that there are three guards out on the pier, peering into the murky fog with squinted eyes. As with the ones you fought at the blockade their wear no armour and hold no weapons, instead powerful scaled muscles and dripping toothy maws as their only armament. None of them look distracted or at ease, but nor do they see you coming. Zuri's spell masks your approach, allowing you to get closer without being detected. The first move is yours.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

SURPRISE

So everyone gets a turn even though the enemies roasted you on initiative. Fog's still in place with the same visibility as before.

Water squares are difficult terrain for 1 and then swimming further right. The tree "stump" on the map is a full tree, so it could be hidden behind.

Not much other terrain to really mention I don't think, but ask if anything's unclear.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

(So this doesn't get lost, when we aren't surprised, everyone of us within 30 feet of Beorn (everyone, in this case) at the start of combat gets a free 15 foot move)

Attack begun, Beorn directs everyone to move into position, signaling to Roswyn that it is time to begin her assault.
    Spoiler
    Show
    free 15 ft move puts him just north of Gaks
    Roswyn +2 attacks, advantage on the first
    Move up toward the lizards 25 ft

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Trellara's keen elven senses allowed her to look through the fog and fire at the north-most lizardfolk with a sharp TWANG.

Gaks looked at the three lizardfolk, not trusting that there were only the three foes. Still, she could not see them.
    Her hand painfully worked through her component pouch, brushing by her hypnotizing orb... then moved on to her spiderweb, which she withdrew and expanded into a much larger net of webbing that she layered beneath the feet of the lizardfolk. She then moved out of the way of her fellows. Fly above us, she thought to Wibbles. The bat circled overhead, trying to stay near enough to be called in to help.

Trellara noted the webbing that the lizards were about to be bound in as she loaded her longbow and... waited. She watched with an arrow notched to see which lizard would become the best target. Noting Roswyn behind her, she moved south to stay out of the way and at a safe distance.

Show
    Trellara's first attack had a 16 to hit, 11 damage.

Using the +15 ft (well, 7 really) to move one square north and three squares east with Gaks, and Webbing up all three lizardfolk. The Web extends from the southwesternmost lizardfolk's square to the square just northeast of the furthest lizardfolk from that one.
    So they must, at the start of their turns, beat a 16 by adding their DEX save bonuses to
    (3d20)[10][7][18](35) (left to right) or be restrained.

Trellara readies an action to shoot the first one that fails when they start their turns. So... not much point in Bonus Action hiding in the fog. (1d20+6)[14]/(1d20+6)[24]; (1d8+4)[12]+(2d6)[3] sneak attack.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-08-24 at 08:48 AM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri runs up along the shore to get closer to the lizardfolk. She creates a long spiked vine and attacks one of them.

Show
    Concentrates on Pass Without Trace.

Moves 4 squares up and 2 squares left. I think that keeps her out of the water.

Casts thornwhip, attacking whichever lizardfolk is farthest right and still standing after Roswyn's attacks, she does not pull it out of the web.

To hit: (1d20+7)[14], Damage: (2d6)[7]

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn charges forward with quiet determination, shield quietly uncoiling from its hiding spot within her fancy new bracer, shiny magical sword cutting through the air before bringing it down to cut into lizardfolk scales. Inwardly she was biting her tongue. Why be a boisterous warrior when everything had to rely on sneakiness? It wasn't her way, but seeing as the lizards hadn't noticed them yet, she figured a quiet quake through their ranks would at least disorient them enough to give the others easy targets. She figured a spell was coming from her crewmates, so she kept herself light on her feet to make sure she could dodge whatever was coming.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roswyn moves to the square under the right-most lizardfolk. All attacks go to the top lizard, with any spillover going to the one on Roswyn's left.

Beorn's Advantage:(1d20+6)[18] or (1d20+6)[9] for (1d8+3)[6]+(1d6)[1]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[16] for (1d8+3)[6]+(1d6)[1]
    Even More Attack: (1d20+6)[24] for (1d8+3)[7]+(1d6)[6]
    Still More Attack: (1d20+6)[9] for (1d8+3)[9]+(1d6)[6]

I believe this puts Roswyn under the AoE for Web, but Danger Sense should make it easy to dodge I hope: (1d20+3)[11] or (1d20+3)[10]

17. - Top - End - #767

Freya

With the party surprising the lizard folk, Freya takes this advantage to get behind the large tree for cover. She fires her crossbow from her, keeping a small profile in hopes that should something else come out of hiding, she isn't immediately spotted. At least, that's her hope because she really doesn't want to relive being a creatures snack again.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    With 30 foot move plus the bonus 15 feet I'm sure Freya can reach the tree.

Taking one shot at the right-most lizardfolk.

Attack: (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[10]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Trellara's arrow signals the start of the attack, and the guards immediately hiss and snap in response. They're unprepared for the webs that cover them all of a sudden, only one evading capture. Their 'reward' is taking Roswyn's full attack directly, the halfling's swipes cutting deep into the coldblooded opponent. They're still standing by the end though, weaving around Zuri's thorn whip. For a moment it looks like Freya's bolt might sign his death warrant, but a faster-than-sight fist catches the bard's shot from midair, stopping it cold. Despite its bleeding injuries it laughs, and launches it towards Gaks, striking her directly. Its projectile expended, it weaves around Roswyn, dashing past her with inlizardfolk speed. Unfortunately, it doesn't get far. As soon as it breaks pats the barbarian Trellara's second arrow is loosed as soon as it breaks away, felling the foe before it can enter into a melee with any of the 'back line'.

Those suffering from the web, while impeded, choose attacking over attempting to free themselves proper, lashing out with fist and jaw against Beorn and Roswyn. The latter manages to evade or block the strikes, but the stalwart warlord is struck on his side by a particularly powerful blow.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Beorn takes 4 bludgeoning damage before reductions.
    Gaks takes 6 piercing damage.

Also Beorn needs to save against Web next turn, unless Gaks' concentration breaks or she chooses to drop it.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri stands her ground without getting closer to the lizardfolk. She again uses her long spiked vine to attack one of the remaining creatures.

Show

Casts thornwhip, attacking whichever lizardfolk looks most injured when it is her turn. She does not pull it out of the web.

To hit: (1d20+7)[20], Advantage since restrained: (1d20+7)[17], Damage: (2d6)[5]

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn lashes out wildly against the lizardfolk adjacent to her, despite the thick web holding her small frame down against the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reckless Attack cancels the disadvantage from restrained.

Reckless Attack:(1d20+6)[17] for (1d8+3)[9]+(1d8)[6]
    Extra Attack:(1d20+6)[26] for (1d8+3)[10]+(1d8)[1]
    More Attack?:(1d20+6)[18] for (1d8+3)[9]+(1d8)[7]
    Even More Attack?:(1d20+6)[21] for (1d8+3)[11]+(1d8)[1]

I added more rolls assuming Beorn plans on giving Roswyn more attacks, if thats not the case than ignore the last two.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Trellara, after killing a lizardfolk like the awesome rogue she was, turned her bow to the one Roswyn was wailing on to confirm the kill. With a TWANG the arrow was loosed.

Show
    Attack! (1d20+6)[12]; (1d8+4)[10]+(2d6)[6]

And if the one attacking Roswyn is already dead she'll switch to the other.

"Agaan o dholec merthec ghaan?" Gaks asked, though no one else spoke goblin. She pulled back her hand, and the web shrank back down into the little bit she kept in her pouch, which she replaced. She advanced directly toward action and pulled from her pouch a stale tart and feather, which she waved in the air as though tickling the lizard facing Beorn.
    "Merthaan karlaar!"

Show
    Moving 15 feet closer with 30 feet of movement.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter! Now with a DC of 16!
    Save: (1d20)[16]
    On failure, Prone and Incapacitated.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #772

Freya

The lizard caching her arrow was an interesting, if unwanted surprise. Freya was getting to hate surprises. Needing these lizardfolk dispatched sooner rather than later, Freya switches to her Eldritch Blast spell to take out the farther one, to Beorn's left. "Forna afl sprengja," Freya growls, letting loose the spell.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Let's try Eldritch Blast. two beams, same target (leftmost lizardfolk).

Beam 1
    Attack (1d20+7)[20] (If Advantage: (1d20+7)[23])
    Damage: (1d10)[3] force.

Beam 2
    Attack (1d20+7)[16] (If Advantage: (1d20+7)[19])
    Damage: (1d10)[10] force.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn grunts at the impact, but he twists to use his armor to deflect most of the force. "Roswyn, hammer and anvil." He keeps position to hold the lizardfolk in place while the halfling does her work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    2 attacks to Roswyn, as used in relevant post above

She is reckless attacking, so I guess I give advantage to the first attack someone else makes against a lizard this round as a bonus action.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

It's a flurry of quick attacks that fells the lizardfolk guards. Even without Gaks' spell taking its intended effect, the combined attacks of the party on the two lowly lizards puts them down with lethal efficiency. The battle itself lasted barely fifteen seconds, and as you strain your ears against the pounding rain you can't hear any yells of alarm from nearby. That you put them down so quickly meant they weren't able to shout for help, and the way is now clear for you to 'sail' through onto the lake proper, if you so wished. Trellara looks quite satisfied with her performance, though her second shot would not have landed its mark had it not been for Beorn's wisdom guiding her aim. She keeps her bow on hand in case of further threats, but none emerge.

A search of the motley shack reveals little beyond food - fish, primarily, along with some wild greens - and bedding. Perhaps as expected from their appearance the ascetic lizardfolk eschew material goods and gains.

Show

Combat over. I wasn't expecting it to take very long to begin with but that was still faster than anticipated!

Decision now whether to spend time going to other outposts to knock those out too or head onto the lake proper now that you've got a clear passage.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri lets her thorned whip disappear. After a quick view of the shed, she speaks quietly to the others, in a slightly more bossy tone than she should, but the others are all used to it by now and know she will relent if they have another idea, "We have fog and surprise. We might lose the fog if we wait until tomorrow. We might lose surprise if we try to attack any other outposts. We lose my spell that hides us if we wait much longer. I suggest we push towards the ruins now before we are discovered. Does anyone have another suggestion?"

Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-08-26 at 05:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

"I am agreed," Gaks said. "Further, Zuri, I know this is not the best time, but I have been in a period of self-reflection since Krakash's death, and would like to take this opportunity while my throat is feeling well to sincerely thank you for your friendship. You have been kind to me, and I have not noticed or truly reciprocated." Gaks attempted a friendly smile.

Show
    SMILE! (1d20-1)[7]
    Show

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri loves Gaks' smile. It's ugly, but she still loves it. She gives her a hug. "Gaks. You're so sweet."

Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-08-26 at 06:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778

Freya

Freya smiles at the happy moment, but she knows time is limited. "Ahem, hate to ruin the moment-- I think we use our stealth advantage to hurry to the ruins and take them out in big surprise attack."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks's next smile was natural, if no less ill-practiced and hideous, and she wrapped her shield arm around Zuri, her wounded hand remaining limp. "Yes. That is what I am," she said, and then returned to the front of the boat. "The ruins are our goal. Everything we put in between here and our goal is another chance for us to fail."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn listens to the others as she wipes her blade clean on some nearby moss. She grins and chuckles to herself at the sudden outburst of kinship between the other girls, but doesn't add much to the situation. Maybe when they were at a campfire or resting in the ruins she'd poke some fun at the hobgoblin showing emotion outside of battle. "Aye, back in the boat then. Shouldn't take long to get her back into the water."