New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Gaks raised her scarred hand toward Roswyn.
    "Hold. This man is a warrior, and he is trying to get himself a warrior's death. We know about the legion, and if we wanted troop details we should have left the leader alive. He can have his death."

She turned her full attention toward the hobgoblin. "Dhagaalkhaach, rhuukhaar. Ghuul Maglubiyetot dec dhach tuuklec akhuuc or rhan."

Spoiler: Goblin
    Show
    Farewell, brother. May Maglubiyet's whip fall softly upon your back.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Gaks raised her scarred hand toward Roswyn.
    "Hold. This man is a warrior, and he is trying to get himself a warrior's death. We know about the legion, and if we wanted troop details we should have left the leader alive. He can have his death."
    "If he wanted an honorable death, he shouldn't attack merchant-folk trying to make an honest living. He wants to act like a wild dog that needs to be put down, he gets to die like one."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

The hobgoblin snarls at the boot on his shoulder, and attempts to take a bite out of Roswyn's foot. His teeth mark the leather, but fail to do any real damage or injury. You hear another snap and grunt of pain - his other arm is broken and the ropes are starting to look looser than they were before, though he is kept against the tree by Roswyn's foot.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

With a quick gesture, Aetus takes out his dagger and cuts the hobgoblin's throat. Wiping his dagger, he says to Gaks

"What he wants is no matter to me. After ambushing merchants, he is no warrior. He is a murderer. Let him here to be eaten.

Now. I say we take the medallion and go the nearest town. It seems a horde is coming."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Spamalot in the Playground

Freya takes a step back. She is a little bothered by the sudden escalation of this interrogation. "That did not go very well. So what did he say?"
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-04-16 at 08:38 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

With the burial and the interrogation concluded, Beorn nods down the road. "Back to the road then. I believe we acquitted ourselves well, though I would expect no less."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

With the hobgoblin ambush now well and truly dealt with, you're back on the path. It's a few hours still until you crest a hill into the setting sun. The road descends into a small town built mostly on the near side of a broad, sluggish river. Six old stone piers jut from the water, marking the spot where a bridge once stood but has long since gone. Instead, a couple of long, thick ropes cross the river, each secured to a flat-bottomed ferryboat. Brown fields and green orchards surround the town.

A group of armed and armoured townsfolk - three in leather, one in mail, stands guard on the road as you approach, watching warily. The one in mail - a burly man with a curling, waxed moustache calls out. "Ho there strangers. State your business." It takes a moment for him to catch sight of Gaks and the man's demeanour changes quickly from bored apathy to active concern. "If you please." Though none of the guards draw their weapons yet, their hands don't leave them.

Spoiler: Drellin's Ferry
    Show

To give an idea of scale of the town, its got a population of around 1150, so you're looking at about 300-400 buildings in total, spread out across the central town (that itself is split across the river) and the surrounding farmlands.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn waves as the draw near. "Greetings. We are traveling adventurers. We have dealt with a bandit problem back up the road a ways. Hobgoblins, seemed to part of some cult. I am sorry to day that they seem to have taken a traveling merchant before we came by. To whom shall we report this and where can we find a meal and bed?"

9. - Top - End - #69

Freya senses some tension, so she steps forward, but not as front as Beorn. "And a bath. My friend Gaks and I are weary from the battle and only wish to rest in your good town. We mean no trouble at all," she says, gesturing to Gaks by putting a hand behind her.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

"I am fine," Gaks said when told she was weary.
    "It takes more than a mere march and scuffle to exhaust me."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus lets the others talk this out. When the time comes to report, he will make his note that there could be more than a few hobgoblins around.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"Hobs you say?" The man looks pensive as he gently robs twirls his moustache between two fingers. "We've been having troubles with some warbands lately, haven't been able to track them down and the farmers are getting antsy. Adventurers? I suppose you do look the part." He pauses before sniffing loudly. "Alright, you can pass-" "Sarge, you can't be serious! They're one of 'em!" One of the guards pipes up, pointing directly at Gaks. The sergeant abruptly turns and backhands the youthful guard across the face with the full force of his gauntlet, knocking him into the dirt with a clatter. The other guards don't move, just watching the scene play out. "You think they're travelling with humans and halflings you thick idiot!? These adventuring sorts pick up all kinds. If you've got time to run your mouth then run along and tell the Captain. Go on, GET!" The Sergeant turns back to you as the guard scrapes himself off the ground and dashes off towards town, leaving his weapon behind on the ground.

"Drellin's Ferry is open to you - don't cause trouble and there won't be trouble. Old Bridge Inn's just off the Green -" He points down the road towards the centre of town. "Chances are you'll get a visit from town council before long, but it's always better to talk over ale than air."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

"Thank you, sergeant. We also would be interested in meeting with the Captain at some time, to see if our encounter fits any pattern of what you have seen."

She shakes his hand with respect and then heads down to the inn, waving thanks to all of the soldiers.

"Good day, gentlemen."

She turns to Gaks, stating what is somewhat obvious for a small town in this area, but just showing concern for her friend, "Maybe you shouldn't walk around town alone."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I had to switch to green. The pink was too much for me.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-04-18 at 05:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

"I can help win the town over to Gaks with a good tale at the tavern. If town has more war band problems, we could make some friends by taking more of them out. Could make for a great epic."

Freya ponders the story possibilities here.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-04-18 at 07:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded at Zuri's suggestion, then tightened her lips at Freya's. She didn't really care what the town thought of her, but Freya had fun in odd ways, so she left that well enough alone. She took up stride behind Zuri, as expected of her.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus' face darkens quite visibly, and he would have said something harsh, but the Guard sergeant was swift and precise.

To think that a soft townsman who would not survive a week alone would talk like that about Gaks.

He then notices Gaks walking a step behind and his face darkens again. Aetus walks in the front and very specifically, speaking in common, says

"Gaks, please come keep me company, please. In the front. You are a proven warrior and a master of the arcane arts. You should walk with pride, like a lion among alley cats."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Stiff-backed, Gaks obeyed and strode alongside Aetus. "Thank you, sir."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Before following anyone headed towards the inn, Roswyn asks the guardsman, "Does the inn have stables for my furry friend here, or is there any place I can put him up for a day or two?", gesturing to the mule she has been guiding along the road this whole time.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

"There's Ol' Delora's stables. It's just round the corner from the inn, you can't miss it. In fact," One of the guard points, and through gaps in some trees and buildings you can see a fenced off area. "You can see it just there. Might even buy it off you if you're looking to sell. Or trade in for a sturdier model."

Heading down the road towards the Green, you see an expansive central area around a great old oak tree flush with bright leaves. It's a grassy field where kids are playing and traders are hawking the last of their wares before the sun disappears. Most of the buildings are houses that telegraph no real significance but down one road you do spot a sundries store - the kind that has a bit of anything and everything. The Old Bridge Inn itself is already lively. There's a number of tables outside with what looks to be mostly merchants sat drinking and smoking. The workers here, from what you can tell, are all halflings. If any of them are offended or distrustful they choose not to show it - perhaps your entry being approved by the Watch gives them all the assurances you need? Still, you do get some curious looks, a few rubberneckers, especially children who stop and stare.

The inn's interior is well decorated (the owner would say lavish, but it's not that nice) and has a full bar stocked, but inside is relatively quiet - most of the guests look to be enjoying the weather while it lasts. The barkeep, also a halfling, is welcoming, always happy to have meet new people, and new coin.

Should you go to meet Delora, round the corner, you'll find an ageing human woman, perhaps in her 50s or 60s but still physically in excellent shape. Tall, broad-shouldered and graying blonde hair tied back into a long thick braid. She's got scars criss-crossing what is otherwise quite a pretty face. Everything about the way she moves tells you she does everything with a purpose, no wasted movement, and her gait indicates some martial training in the past though she's not got any weapons - that you can see.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]especially children who stop and stare.
    Unable to help herself, Freya will use Prestidigitation so that her steps sound like drum beats. She 'dances' a quick five-second tune and then ends it with a hop and making her landing sound like a crash of cymbals. She giggles and bows for her audience, using her magic to make a puff of glitter just for effect.

Freya then heads to the inn. She hops up to the bar and smiles at the barkeep. "Greetings. A mug of something refreshing, please," she orders. Freya stacks some coins on the bar. "My companions and I have slain a nasty warband on the road here, and I am parched from our battle."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus takes a little time to freshen up, by washing his face and hands thoroughly. The dive to the river would also be nice, if Roswyn was serious.

Aetus then also sits near Freya and says

"Some food would also be nice. And we will probably need lodging".

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn hollers to the others, "I'll catch up in a bit!" before turning the corner to find this 'Delora' character. Finding the strapping woman, she makes her presence known with a boisterous, "Ahoy there Ma'am! I heard you're the one to talk about when it comes to letting a furry friend find a safe port in this humble town."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri follows Roswyn to the stables, curious to see what animals they have there, but mostly to make sure no one in the group has to travel alone.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks followed behind Aetus, standing behind him as he sat. She then cast a few glances over her shoulder.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus makes room for Gaks to sit and eat, getsuring an additional serving of food for her.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded and complied, sitting beside Aetus.
    "...Tiamat," she muttered again. "Why Tiamat?"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Inn

"Of course, of course. Travelers are you? Performing troupe? No, no, not from the weapons. Mercenaries? Adventurers? Happy to have you regardless! Welcome to the Old Bridge Inn. I'm Kellin Shadowbanks, owner and proprietor." The halfing babbles on as he fossicks about behind the bar which is all too tall for him. He hops up and down off raised boxes, throwing mugs up in front of you with practiced skill. "I'll have food brought to your tables and have your rooms put together shortly."

It doesn't take long for food to arrive (a meat stew with hearty bread and thick hard cheese). You're just settling in when two figures enter the inn. One, a tall balding man of about fifty, the other a capable-looking swordswoman, maybe mid 40s. They both approach your table. "Please accept my sincerest apologies for disturbing your meal, but we would like a few minutes of your time." The man says. His accent and smooth hands indicates a learned man not used to physical labour, but he carries himself with a humble confidence, not that of an upstart noble. His neat salt-and-pepper beard accents his face. "I am Norrow Wiston, Town Speaker for Drellin's Ferry. This," he gesture politely to the woman at his side, "is our guard captain, Soranna. I understand that you dealt with some hobgoblins on the road in. To get right to the point - we're in a lot of trouble, and we need help."

With your approval, they take a seat at the table.
    "Our town is under attack." He begins with a deep breath. Worry is clear in his face. "Hobgoblin raiders have been harrying our lands for several days now. They've attacked and killed people in the outlying homesteads and waylaying travelers along the Dawn Way - what you faced was probably one of their raiding groups."
    "We've had some trouble with them before," Soranna interjects, "a quick raid on the west side of town, not that bad usually - but this is different. It's larger, more coordinated. It looks like a tribe may have come down from the mountains." She pauses and purses her lips. "I fear they mean to sack the town, and have the numbers to do it."
    "Beyond the immediate threat, the road is our lifeblood - if they're stopping traders from traveling Dawn's Way, our town is doomed, and the rest of Elsir Vale will die soon after. We need this road. Can you help?"

Spoiler
    Show
    4g 8s for the entire group's stay plus meals. Gonna assume you're buying for the stable team too, for when they're back.

Stables

She doesn't jump at your voice - chances are she heard you coming. "Aye lass, I reckon yer in the right spot." She's got a long drawl to her voice. She finishes unsaddling a horse and turns to you, seemingly not burdened by the some 15-20lbs of leather in her hands. She takes a few steps forward, not really acknowledging you directly and instead inspecting your beast of burden. "Oh she's a beaut. Lotta people overlook mule's 'cos they ain't 'noble' and 'majestic' like horses, but this 'un's lovely. Nice coat, healthy eyes. I got space. Three silver a night, comes with full room and board, with grooming. Drop off and pick up whenever, I'm always around town. Just holler and I'll come runnin'." She one-hands the saddle for a moment to scratch your mule behind the ears affectionately.
    "They got a name?"
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-04-20 at 07:55 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri casually looks around admiring the stable before she turns to Roswyn, "It's on me. Thanks for hauling all of the camp supplies for us."

She hands the woman 3 gold pieces. "These are nice looking stables you run. We'll prepay for a ten-day. Don't know if we'll stay that long, but we'd like to make sure he's well cared for in case we do. It looks to me like he's in capable hands. Thank you for your help."

She pauses a second before asking a question. "Anything we need to watch out for around here?"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

"Krell's Legion," Gaks filled in. "They said they were a part of Krell's Legion. Krell mean anything to you?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn shrugs, but doesn't argue with Zuri. "Fine, but I'm buyin' your first drink inside for your troubles. And you'll have to arm-wrestle me for it if you say no." The halfling hands the reigns of her mule over to Delora and appears pensive for a moment when she asks for the mule's name. "His name's Eustace. Lives up to his name once in a while when he gets ornery, but he's a good boy."