New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

As the party begins its exit from the battlefield, they hear the sounds of arrows being fired from above and the snarl of hobgoblin voices. Though no one can see what is happening, Zuri is aware that two of her animals have vanished from existence. Freya catches a glimpse of the goblin swooping down the hole into the building proper before she rounds the corner onto the walkway, but he doesn't seem to pursue, yet at least. Her deception may have paid off.

Between Gaks and Trellara they manage to tip the great winged beast over the edge of the boat to flop into the water freeing up space for the rest of the party to mount up. After dispatching one ogre and dealing a glancing blow to the remaining underwater combatant, Roswyn breaks away, though it nabs her with its javelin as she escapes onto the escape vessel. Beorn, even in water, is a hardy opponent and when the lumbering creature turns its attacks on him, his skill and armour keep him safe from any harm.

Spoiler: Maps
    Show

Spoiler: Inside
    Show

Spoiler: Outside
    Show

Two raptors dead, not that anyone can see it going down at this point. Hobs are out of range flying so there's not a whole lot they can do. Sitting ducks dinos. Roswyn also eats 11 damage on the OA getting to the boat.

I expect next round will 'end' combat so to speak, or at least not require turn-to-turn plays depending on how it goes.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

The two velociraptors on the northern stairs step into the spiked ground and see the eventual slaughter on the roof. They turn and dash to get back to Zuri for further instruction.

The remaining two velociraptors on the roof try to kill the goblin next to them.

Zuri speaks to all 4 of the velociraptors now on the ground floor.

"Go inside and tear up the compound. Destroy any papers or books. Anything you can grab, throw in the water."

She looks looks at Freya, "Let's get out of here." She backs up, gets a running start, and jumps onto the boat.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The two raptors that had been with Zuri dash inside to cause damage.

The other two stay at the entrance and will enter next round. (they used all of their movement just to get to her)

The two remaining rooftop raptors move and attack the goblin. If the goblin flew up in the air they would stay still and wait for him to get close with readied attacks.

Attacks or Readied Attacks

#7 13AC 16HP, 3THP
    Bite (1d20+4)[20], pack tactics (1d20+4)[7] damage: (1d6+2)[5]
    Claws (1d20+4)[19], pack tactics (1d20+4)[14] damage: (1d4+2)[4]

#8 13AC 16HP, 6THP
    Bite (1d20+4)[10], pack tactics (1d20+4)[15] damage: (1d6+2)[8]
    Claws (1d20+4)[11], pack tactics (1d20+4)[19] damage: (1d4+2)[5]

Spoiler: Velociraptor
    Show
    Velociraptor
    Tiny beast, unaligned

Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
    Hit Points 10 (3d4+3) +6 HP from Mighty Summoner
    Speed 30 ft.

STR DEX CON. INT WIS. CHA
    6 (-2) 14 (+2) 13 (+1) 4 (-3) 12 (+1) 6 (-2)

Skills Perception +3
    Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)

Pack Tactics. The velociraptor has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the velociraptor's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.

_____________________ Actions _____________________

Multiattack. The velociraptor makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 5 (1d6+2) piercing damage.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4+2) slashing damage.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    She looks looks at Freya, "Let's get out of here." She backs up, gets a running start, and jumps onto the boat.
    Freya

"Freya is right behind!" She leaps into the boat after a decent running start around the pier corner. Freya grabs a paddle ad is ready to get underway... well, when Beorn shows up. Can't leave a team mate behind!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks stuck a hand in the water. "Beorn!" she shouted. "Grab my hand!" She didn't like her chances of hauling him up, but he was pretty tough, so...
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn gives one last feint as he withdraws towards the boat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    bonus action for advantage on next attack verses the ogre, then disengage towards the boat

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Trellara brought the boat about so that they could get Beorn on it, and Gaks hauled him up with her wounded hand, actually screaming from all the work she'd been putting it through. Observing this, the Rogue helped haul up the armor-wearing, soaked commanded before whistling for the boat to get out of there.

Show
    Using both Gaks and Trellara's actions to haul Beorn into the boat and now that everybody's in, GETTING OUT! Moving the boat as quickly as possible back the way we came.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn scurries for the tiller to make sure the boat takes a steady course, in case they were going to be chased.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

With everyone aboard the boat spins in a circle from Trellara whistling it to life. With a heaving arm the ogre hurls a javelin up through the water at the boat's occupants but the party ducks away and it spins overhead - the aggressor misjudged the force needed, evidently, and you're off away from the severely diminished Red Hand base.

It's barely any time into the fog before the 'lives' of Zuri's summoned creatures blips out and falls away. A flurry of arrows cut through the ever present haze shortly afterwards. Two of them strike armour, but don't lodge or do any real damage - their angle and force were poor. Another comes perilously close to spearing right through Roswyn's hand on the tiller but they're firing blind, and instead it thunks with deadly force into the back of the boat. Through the tinkling rain you hear another few volleys thwip through the air, but without a clear target they're doing little more than guessing, and none strike true.

Once the arrows cease, Trellara exhales. She'd been holding her breath without noticing. "We should go back tomorrow," she asserts, with a surprising amount of decisiveness in her voice. "One of those things that killed my brother was there. There could be more of them, or at least some clue for where they came from." She's not looking at you as she says this, her eyes set on where you just left. She has no issue with the retreat, but it's not until she turns to you that she sees the extent of the injuries and fatigue you've accumulated - while she came out of it relatively unscathed. "Ah, I'm...sorry." A stumbled apology. "I'm still new to this, you should be the ones deciding what to do not me. You'd know better." A tinge of pink embarassment colours her rosy cheeks and she tugs the hood that had fallen from her head during the fight back to cover her face.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

"You were spectacular," Gaks assured Trellara. "And you killed that thing. Though I fear we arrived here far too late to prevent the alliance, we killed the dragon and wizard, and that is a victory." She nursed her wounded hand, then unstrapped her shield and went through her component pouch carefully. "Who taught him enchantment?" she asked nobody.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Breathing heavily from the swimming, fighting and running, Zuri collapses onto the floor of the boat.

"I agree that we should come back tomorrow. But for now we are too tired to continue, and need to find a place to hide. Maybe we can put the bubble camp inside one of these buildings. Everyone eat some goodberries if you have them in case we run into something before we can rest. I can make some more if we need them."

She eats her remaining goodberries, looking around at her friends in awe at how well they performed.

"Nice job back there everyone."

Show
    Eats 9 goodberries taking her to 39HP.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

"I can set up a bubble camp," Gaks agreed. "We may wish to get further away this time, however. We do not know if they have a way to dispel it."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #942

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "Though I fear we arrived here far too late to prevent the alliance, we killed the dragon and wizard, and that is a victory."
    "Also a not-dragon, an ettin, a dozen hobs and lizards, a... pigeon or something. I lost track," Freya counts. she seems a little pleased with the racked up body count. Probably because it'll make her stories sound that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    "Everyone eat some goodberries if you have them in case we run into something before we can rest. I can make some more if we need them."
    Freya reaches into her pocket and pulls out a twig with a leaf on it. "Ehh, I am out. This was maybe from fighting those evil bushes."

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "I can set up a bubble camp," Gaks agreed. "We may wish to get further away this time, however. We do not know if they have a way to dispel it."
    "I agree. Either they will give up chasing us, or they will be most determined than ever before. We put some distance, get sleep, come back for an encore. Though, they will definitely be ready for us next time."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-10-17 at 07:38 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Day 10 - 2(?) days until Drellin's Ferry

If the Red Hand do send any patrols or search parties after you, you don't encounter them during your search for a viable resting ground. Trellara's map isn't terribly useful here. As it's 'sacred' territory it's not well mapped by the Tiri Kitor, but she does advise you against some choices you come across ("Too open air", "Too obvious", "Probably crumble out from under us in the night.") but after some foggy searching you do eventually find a squat, half-submerged building whose upper floor seems to be solid enough. The window openings are mostly blocked by encroaching watervines that wrap tight around the building, save for a small gap in the wall that allows your boat to pass into cover.

Despite the lack of a solid roof over your heads Gaks' 'bubble camp' keeps you from getting damper than you already were and allows you all to dry off clothes and armour. The spot seems well chosen. At the very least you aren't bothered during the night and when the dawn comes the fog - as predicted - has moved on. There's only the lightest of layers of it in the morning light, enough to haze distant objects but not to block vision as the day before. You'll be clearly visible on your journey back. Trellara, restringing her bow at breakfast, doesn't seem concerned though. "Maybe seeing us coming full force out in the open will send them running?"
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-10-17 at 09:25 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks was very quiet in the morning, as she was committing another spell to memory with her newly expanded mind. After that was done, she cleared her throat to address Roswyn. "The stone I gave you. Might I have it back?"
    And once she held it in hand, she began chanting in Goblin, taking the ten minutes to fill everyone's lungs with her transmutative powers that would allow them to breathe underwater.

Show
    Ritual Casting Water Breathing on everyone, and switching the Transmuter's Stone back to Con Save proficiency.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #945

Freya

Freya's sleep was mixed; out like a candle from exhaustion of the day, some fitful moments dreaming of that shambling mound chasing her, and bits of strange moments in a tavern singing in languages she couldn't recognize. She gets enough sleep, however, and wakes up in a passable mood. She would slay another dragon for a hot bath and some home-cooked breakfast, but rations and such will have to do another day. No matter how often she roughs it on an adventure, she could never shake off the desires and comforts of a town.

"Head on might work for some, but I am a squishy baked potato. I rather scout and use stealth to make sure they did not triple the number of damn goblin archers while we slept." Freya rubbed where that foul being hit her in the battle yesterday. Despite her wounds healed, she still felt the soreness.

Freya pulls out the soiled cloak that was acquired from that water-logged chest yesterday. She casts Prestidigitation a couple times to clean it up some, but she may need a proper seamstress/tailor for the frayed ends. "What is the end game here? We take this fort and... plant a flag on top? Burn it? I jut want to be on the same page when we go back."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri wakes up feeling refreshed. While she grew up in the luxury of castles, she has found more comfort in the wild than she ever felt in court. Sleeping on the ground next to her friends in 'bubble camp' is the best she ever sleeps.

"Freya, I don't think our goal is to plant a flag, but we can if you want. I think our goal should be to kill as many of them as we can, demoralize the rest, and disrupt any communications they have with the main army. We've probably accomplished more than we needed to, so if we need to retreat, that will be ok."

"I agree that head on might not be the best route. I can cast spell to help keep us hidden as we approach. Can Wibbles scout for us again, Gaks? We might need to search around. They may have moved, and if they are still at the same compound, they will surely have set a trap for us."

I don't have as many berries today, but everyone take one for an emergency. I'll hold on to the rest.

Show
    I'll just keep track of the total goodberries on my sheet. Less accounting for everyone else. If you use any, just let me know.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded to her empty shoulder. "Wibbles was destroyed, and I have not the materials to resummon him."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #948

Freya

"Alas, poor Wibbles," Freya recites poetically. "I knew him, Zuri, a creature of infinite stealth of most excellent scouting... okay, can not think of the next line. We will have to scout and assume that they have set a death trap for us. Three dragons or something."

She munches on some trail rations. "So, we will be careful, but forceful to defeat them. And we shall. My idea is we make a flag out of the pantaloons of whoever is the most in charge there that we slay. Should send the perfect message, yes?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn passing around his remaining magic berries, confident that a night's rest will be sufficient for his own bruises. "Going back, I would hope to recover some intelligence; numbers, movements, maybe, if fortune smiles on us, some leverage we can use to put a rift between them and the lizardfolk. Or dragongold. We may have need of friends before this is over and gold can buy a lot of friends, for a time."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe Beorn had 13 goodberries remaining.

one HD should fill him up unless he rolls a 1 (1d8+2)[7]

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri laughs at Freya's suggestion of hoisting their pants as a flag, then turns her attention to Beorn, listening as he describes the goals for today.

"Those are all great ideas Beorn. Since we don't have Wibbles to scout for us, I suggest we leave the boat hidden here and swim to the compound. Then if we have to bail, we dive deep under water out of the range of arrows and javelins, and then meet back here."

Show
    This plan assumes that the characters think the boat is well hidden and safe.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

"Entering from underneath will also minimize any advantage they have in ranged combat from massed, possibly flying, archers."

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps we could bury it," Gaks suggested, nodding to the boat. "You can unearth it rather quickly, yes?" she asked Zuri.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #953

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    "Entering from underneath will also minimize any advantage they have in ranged combat from massed, possibly flying, archers."
    "The hole we used the first time was plugged with the bodies of the dragon and ettin."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

After burying your boat on an island near where you rested, you take to the water once more (with some trepidation from Trellara). It's slow going under the water, much slower than on the boat, but you are at least much less likely to be spotted. Directions are also less easy to follow, lacking any clear markers, but Trellara keeps you on track despite her not wanting to be in the swamp again. It's worth it, she tells herself.

Most of the buildings you do sweep are as empty as the one you rested in, but a ruined clocktower to the north of the Red Hand base seems to have had recent inhabitants - a fresh, but extinguished and cold, a missing layer of dust, and scattered bedrolls. Whatever other expected items for camping out there might be are missing, if they were there in the first place. It has all the hallmarks of a sentrypost hastily abandoned.

With no new leads, you proceed back to the location of your previous two battles. Looking up at the walkways from below the water level at the building you see no sentries. No ogres with javelins atop the walls, no hobgoblins casting steely gazes across the water with bow in hand. It's quiet, at least from below the water. You do see a number of the bodies you created though - in the water, bobbing against the surface where they appear to have been dumped, though the dragon and ettin are missing, presumably still atop the 'hole' in the building itself.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks spectral eye - plucked from the prosthetic - flies up to circle around the building. There's no guards hiding flat against the roof, nor any bodies there. The main door is closed but via the stairs and the roof-hole she can fly down into the building proper. Concealed on behind the front door is what looks to be a rudimentary, but obvious, spike trap that would trigger on the door being opened, though it's evaded by taking the stairs up and then down.

The goblin's room remains shut to you, but Gaks might note that the elven bodies that were there yesterday have disappeared - along with the corpse of the dragon, though the ettin remains blocking the water entrance. There's blood trails leading out to the walkway where the dead hobs and ogres were, explaining how they ended up on the lake surface.

It wasn't obvious on your previous foray into the dragon's room but a hidden compartment appears to have been opened, spilling gold coins across the stone floor. Too many to count by eye. Whomever opened it appears to have left it in a hurry rather than tidying up after themselves.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Being unable to speak – or at least unwilling to try – under the swampy marshwater, Gaks tapped those nearest her on the shoulder and swam up to the surface, bringing her head above water. She could not resist taking a breath of... well, not clean air, but at least not actual swamp water, before using her See Invisibility to ensure nothing was afoot. She slapped the water next to her, assuming she saw nothing, to get the others to swim up with her.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri pops up out of the water next to Gaks. After hearing Gaks tell them what she saw with her magic eye, Zuri looks around to make sure she doesn't see anyone watching us and then gets out of the water to explore the base.

"That's disappointing that the dragon is gone. I really wanted to skin this one too. Since it looks like they left, we should see if they forgot anything. We also need to see if there is anything in the goblin's room. Be ready for an ambush everyone."

Show

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn volunteers to take point, keeping his shield ready.

29. - Top - End - #959

Freya feels that it is too quiet here. No scouts at all to see if the party would return to the scene of the battle? Hmm...

She tries to keep silent while she swims with her group (stealth (1d20+5)[12]), checking over her shoulder in case something happens to follow the party.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

"They did forget something. The chamber with the dead dragon is filled with gold," Gaks relayed, pulling herself onto the platform. "There is a pit trap in the entrance. It can be easily avoided, however."
    Show