New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Inn
    Freya takes a few bites of her meal and drink, listening to the story the two give.

She nods when Gaks speaks up, but doesn't add anything. Yet.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus digs into his food with gusto and appetite. When the elders of the town come, he nods respectfully as he hears their story.

It makes sense. They will certainly have a problem. He waits for Beorn to talk about accepting, but it does seem like a kind of assignment they would undertake. Plus, it would gibe them a excuse to g looking for their keep.

"The hobgoblins we encountered were very well organized. They had magical support and a hellhound. They also displayed a fanaticism that is rare. There is something strange going on here."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Inn

"Krell...Krell..." Norro mutters, rubbing his beard in thought. He looks to Soranna who answers for him after a pause of her own. "We haven't heard anything about a Krell, but they're not exactly talkative. If they've got a central leader though that makes sense for how organised they've seemed."

Stables

"Thank you kindly. Eustace'll be in good hands. We'll get on like cats and sunbeams." She takes the coin with a smile. "Guessing you can handle yourself from your gear, so bandits and raiders ain't gonna trouble you - watch out for the halflings at the Old Bridge. They've got...sticky fingers, so keep your coin purse where you can see it."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Seeing that Eustice appears to be in good hands, Zuri thanks the woman, "Thank you, Delora. We will check in on Eustice soon."

She then approaches the mule's face and gives a quiet bray (speaks in Mule), "Be good for this lady. She'll take good care of you." before turning to Roswyn, "Shall we go and meet the others. I'd love to take you up on that beer now."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn smiles at the children as they pass. At the inn, he wastes no time in attacking the food; one never knows when you will have your next hot meal.

He chimes in to the discussion, "Seemed to be part of a dragon cult, Tiamat's holy symbol was on one of them. I believe the name Koth was also mentioned. Sounds like the problem may be a bit more widespread then we thought, from what you have said. Any clues as to where they may be operating out of?"

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Inn
    ""Have there only been hobgoblins and hell hounds in their ranks?" Freya asks.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aye lass, let's go. I'm sure the others are waiting for us." She gives a short nod of her head to Delora before turning to head towards the inn. "And to you Ma'am, thanks again and good day to ya!"

Once inside the tavern, Roswyn adds some bounce to her step when she hears the hustle and bustle of halfling voices serving food and drink. She strolls up the bartender and places her order, "Two ales please," before continuing in Halfling, "one standard and one nicer ale."
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2020-04-20 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Drelora wishes the Stable Team a fairwell, and turns to lead Eustace to his new accomodations.

Back in the inn, Kellin nods and sets about delivering the ales in record time. Behind the bar could be enchanted with the speed he dashes about at.

Norro opens his mouth to answer, but Soranna cuts him off. He doesn't look put out by it though. "We've seen a few spellcasters from afar, didn't manage to bag any though. They've not fielded anything other than hobs and hounds that we've come across, but if they're organised they could be holding them in reserve."

"Most of the attacks are on the west side of the river, so if they're coming down from the Wyrmsmokes then they may be situated somewhere in the Witchwood forest." Norro pulls out a scroll and unfurls it to reveal a map of what looks like the nearby forest. "Outside of the Dawn Way you won't find many travelers, the forests are filled with all manner of beast and giant at the best of times. These hobgoblins are only adding to it."

"There's a woodsman - Jorr - living around here." Soranna taps a point on the map on one of the trails, maybe 3 or 4 miles in. "If anyone knows about the goings on, it'll be him. Tread carefully though, he really doesn't like people." She nods at Gaks. "Apologies, but you may want to wear a hood or cloak when you first approach. he's been known to let his arrows do the talking with..." She coughs, but is saved by Norro speaking up - loudly and quickly.
    "We don't expect you to work for free, of course. We can pay you - 250 gold now, 250 once you've found out what's going on and dealt with it." He fumbles at his belt and drops a jingling coin bag (some may say 'bulging') onto the table. You may notice Kellin at the bar perk up and look in the table's direction. Norro also pushes the map across to you, indicating that it's yours to keep.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Ignore that big red hand (of doom) marker, that's not on the map in game :P
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn studies the map a moment, wanting to see what he could about what they seemed to be getting themselves into. He gets his bearings quickly. "Sounds like it might be in our line. What can you tell us of these places, Vraath Keep and...Skull Gorge bridge?"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

The place names had also caught Gaks's ear. "The Wyrmsmokes? Why is the area they're coming from called the wyrmsmokes?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #101

Freya looks the map over, ignoring the big red hand of doom marker that doesn't exist. Her eyes glance over to the sack of coins. It's a start, but if the Hobs have been sacking travelers, they'd have more. The party could call dibs on salvage...

"The keep sounds like a good starting point. Need a place to stage a town raid, yes?" Freya adds, wanting to know more about it too as Beorn had asked just a moment ago.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri takes whichever beer Roswyn hands her "Thanks for the beer. Let's join the others.It looks like there's room at the end of the table"

She sits at the table with the others but since she's at the end she can't really see the map. She waves a quick polite greeting to the visitors and her friends at the table "Hey guys" but doesn't interrupt further since the others are already in a conversation.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Norro takes up answering here - while Soranna may be the local expert on things martial, it seems the Speaker is the history buff of the two. "I could spend all evening recounting the full story of Vraath Keep - the twists and turns it took...but maybe another time. The short version is that a noble decided he wanted to 'tame' the Witchwood and had a keep constructed to use as a powerbase for his army of mercenaries. A local tribe of giants proved stronger though, and the keep was left standing but mostly ruined and abandoned. I could certainly see hobgoblins using it as a base to strike out from."

"Skull Gorge Bridge is...well, it's the bridge over Skull Gorge. Traders use it when coming down from the north. The gorge itself was named because giants used to throw their dead into it - the skeletons, particularly the skulls, were left littering the bottom of the gorge. There's not enough giants for that to really be widespread these days, but you can still see many of the skeletons today."

"It's a local legend, the Wyrmsmokes. There's a number of volcanic peaks in the area which periodically shoot ash or smoke out from them. The first settlers here wondered if it might not be an ancient dragon that...was...causing..." Norro trails off as he connects the dots to Tiamat. "You don't suppose...a dragon...? All colour falls from his face and he's left pale as a sheet. Soranna looks grim.

"Even if there's not, if the hobs believe it, that could be what's brought this warband south - any warleader who speaks with the voice of a dragon could easily command tribes and tribes."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach nodded grimly at Norro's realization. "I would advise that we take the Speaker up on his request."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

15. - Top - End - #105

"If a dragon did exist, it surely would have been confirmed by now?" Freya postulates. "However, one with a convincing voice would not need a real dragon to convince a following. I am curious to find out which it is."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn holds up a finger, addressing the speaker and captain, "Such a matter is not to be engaged in lightly. Would you kindly give us a moment to discuss the matter before we commit? Then we if we wish to proceed, we can negotiate, draft a contract, and so forth. Formalities and all that."

If his request is granted, he speaks to his companions, "I say we give it a go. What do you all say?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri agrees with Beorn. Even if she did disagree, she's learned it's best to follow his lead. He has great judgement and she trusts him completely. She nods in agreement.

"Let's sleep here tonight and then leave in the morning. How's the food here?"

She tries to get the halfling's attention and orders some food if she can.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn makes sure Zuri gets the more expensive of the two beers ordered before joining their companions. She listens to the discussions and gazes over the map. They sure didn't pick the cheeriest names around here, she inwardly muses as several names seem too intimidating for such a town to be existing nearby with what seemed like relative stability. She hearitly drinks her beer while she listens, and as the question of their involvement is finally brought up, she chimes into the conversation for the first time. "We're here, they need help, we need cash ... sounds like smooth sailing provided we can continue to beat up some washed-up hobgoblin swabbies."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

"I suspect we may not have seen the best they have to offer, and if there is indeed a dragon involved, things may get hot, in more than one sense. We should keep reasonable expectations of the forces we will face. We can hope it will be easy, but if it proves too much, it is better to know what is out their than let these people wait in ignorance."

20. - Top - End - #110

If no one has touched the sack of coins, Freya will gently tug it over to herself.

"You can count Freya in! ...after a bath and one night's rest. Maybe food... well, could eat on the walk there. But yes, let us scout what this keep keeps inside."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-04-23 at 11:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach was ready to move out right then, but nodded with the others. "Then it seems that we are agreed."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn raises an eyebrow at Aetus, silently seeking his input.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus is looking silently around, eating with gusto. When all others have spoken, he also speaks.

"Count my bow among you weapons. This is a worthwhile goal."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn nods. "It is a job then."

He fetches the speaker and captain back to the table. "We are agreed. You have presented the up-front cost proposed already. Given the urgency of the situation, it would be somewhat unseemly to haggle for more. We cannot promise that the situation will be fully dealt with, as we do not know what it fully is, but will report back findings should it prove beyond our ability. Let us draft up a contract, standard conditions, force majeure and such. We can be ready to depart in the morning, see this woodsman you spoke of."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see any need to actually write out an entire contract for real, we can handwave it as RP.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

With the decision made, Norro and Soranna thank you. They leave the gold with the sincere hopes that you proceed as soon as possible, but to make sure you're well rested, and leave to attend to other duties. Food arrives before long - a modest but filling affair, and Kellin is sure to stay on top of any requests for more food or drink. There's a stream of other patrons who come and go to the bar - some retiring to rooms while others just drink and then go back to their homes, but the rest of the night is quiet and uneventful.

The rooms are what you've come to expect from inns like this - sparse but comfortable, and night passes quickly.

The morning's light is early, barely past the sixth hour, and it brings another day of sweltering heat and drybone winds. Drellin's Ferry wakes up with dawn though, and the sound of traders carting their wares into the Green begins to fill the air outside your windows. There's banging of chairs and smell of food wafting up through the floorboards, beckoning you downstairs for another day.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach, in the morning, awoke with a proposition for the group. "May I take twenty of the gold coins we've received in order to purchase a spell component I feel will be helpful to us?"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

"Of Course, Gaks. Would you like some company walking about town to find it? What are you looking for?"

Zuri passes out goodberries that she cast the night before so everyone gets 10. "You all know the drill, 1 will feed you for the day, and each one will heal you little if you need them. No complaining about the taste."
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-04-23 at 03:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"I require a pearl. I assume fishers will be the best people to speak with, but I am uncertain of this."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Or maybe a jeweler. Let's ask the innkeeper."

She flags down the innkeeper (or bartender) "Excuse me, do you know where we can buy a pearl? My brilliant friend here needs it for a spell."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach held in a smile at the compliment, but her cheeks colored somewhat.
    Show