New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Freya

Freya continues shooting beams of Eldritch energy at these creatures and hoping she has enough magical juice to keep Ros standing.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Eldritch Blast at the same target from last round.

Beam A: (1d20+7)[22] (damage (1d10)[3] force)

Beam B: (1d20+7)[11] (damage (1d10)[6] force)

Healing Word on Roswyn: (1d4+4)[6] HP healed.
    (maybe Ros will be lucky enough to stall be standing)
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Con save for 23 to maintain concentration. I will run over both monsters to the south of the sphere. Strength saves (DC 16)
    (2d20)[8][16](24)

Gaks swore, but pulled to the left with one hand, the water following her motion and ramming into two more of the undead creatures, threatening to whelm them yet again.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn keeps plying his whip, trying to get one of them off Roswyn.
    Spoiler
    Show
    whip the fairie fire'd one south of Roswyn
    (1d20+9)[26] for (1d4+6)[7] + (2d6)[6] lightning
    (1d20+9)[29] for (1d4+6)[7] + (2d6)[6] lightning

would use last leadership die to heal Roswyn, but I don't think it would keep her from dropping so it would be more efficient after she goes down

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

The undead continue to ignore Zuri's flames nipping at their heels (and ramming into them) despite the fact that they're clearly taking damage from it, much to the detriment of one, who falls before the whip cracks of Beorn, the flaming aura and Freya's beams This frees Roswyn from the grasp of one of the two, though not both. As the waterball rolls over the slowed creature, it uses the momentum to carry it out of the puddle and back onto 'dry' land, though it still seems inhibited by its touch with the mustard liquid. Its comrade in bones is less lucky, being wholly swallowed by Gaks spell, allowing Roswyn a chance to retaliate on equal footing - tentacles holding her back, water holding it back - and landing two solid strikes.

Beorn and Zuri face the worst of it this turn. Though blasted with force missiles, the undead holds fast on Zuri, drinking deep of her energy while still clawing at her flesh for more, and Beorn receives much the same, albeit the slowed creature is unable to muster a siphon of its own.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Zuri is struck for 11 slashing damage and then 6 necrotic damage (two attacks, so two conc saves). Her max HP is also temporarily reduced by 6.
    Beorn is hit for 8 slashing, 8 necrotic, and 8 slashing (3 attacks). His max HP is also temporarily reduced by 8.

Though I'll keep mentioning it, you can assume any necrotic damage they deal reduces your max HP by the same amount.

Roswyn somehow managed to avoid being hit at all this round which is lucky. She's attacking the remaining tentacle boy restraining her to the bottom-left (33 damage dealt this turn). After Freya's healing word she is at 9/52 HP

The bottom right guy missed Gaks again with both attacks.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Titan in the Playground

Going back and forth seemed to be going well, so Gaks sent the sphere up once more to engulf the two undead to its north.

Show
    Strength saves for them! (2d20)[6][18](24)!
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn keeps plying his whip, changing target to the remaining highlighted foe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[15] for (1d4+6)[9] + (2d6)[9]
    (1d20+9)[25] for (1d4+6)[10] + (2d6)[5]

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri staggers from the attack from this creature. She feels an overwhelming weakness cover her body. She wants to give up and let the others handle this. But she's not dead yet. She needs to keep fighting. She clutches her wand and again shoots 3 blasts of force at the ghoul grappling her.

Show
    Magic Missile (3d4+3)[14]

Again rams the flaming sphere into the far right ghoul for (2d6)[10] DC15 DEX save for half.

Then if they end their turn next to the sphere, they take (2d6)[2] damage, DC15 dex save for half.

8. - Top - End - #1298

Freya

Freya turned her attention to the creature next to Zuri and opened fire with her spell. She was nearly out of juice and these things did not want to go down! "Hold on, Zuri. We can win this!" Freya says, inspiring the druid.

Show
    I think Freya can hit the undead critter to Zuri's left.

Beam A: (1d20+7)[27]. (damage (1d10)[7]+9 (crit)= 16 force)

Beam B: (1d20+7)[24]. (damage (1d10)[2] force)

As a bonus action, Inspiration to Zuri (+1d8)

Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-03-01 at 11:06 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks' watery sphere washes north, pulling in the slowed undead while pushing the remaining target of Beorn's ire bank into his corner and out of slashing and drinking range. Roswyn, still struggling against tentacles, takes the opportunity to finish off the monster locked in its aquatic prison with a severe hit that ends its unlife brutally and efficiently, leaving you with four remaining foes. Zuri's grappler, struck by force blasts from two of you, continues unabated, failing to scratch her but succeeding at extracting more of the druid's life force. Beorn easily the slowed-and-now-water-logged opponent, landing two cracking strikes on his enemy in the corner. Gaks' enemy continues to scrape and claw and try to lock its tentacles on her. The claws find their mark, the tentacles do not.

Show

Roswyn is now free of restraint as she has killed her last grappler. Beorn is still restrained by the last faerie-fire guy, and Zuri by the one to her immediate left.
    Zuri takes 6 necrotic damage (and loses as much from her max HP)
    Gaks takes 7 slashing damage.

With the exception of the slowboy who has thus far taken 0 damage from my notes, the others are on ~roughly~ half-health each. Except the two dead ones, obviously. They're dead.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn keeps up his attack, attempting to finish his target before moving to the next.
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack x2
    (1d20+9)[25] for (1d4+6)[10] + (2d6)[7]

(1d20+9)[17] for (1d4+6)[9] + (2d6)[5]

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks then pushed the sphere to keep the creature in it out of the action, as she could hit no others with it at this time, moving it southwest until it hit the wall.

Show
    Moving the sphere 20 feet directly southwest.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri continues to feel weakness cover her body. She wants to give up and let the others handle this and she's not sure how long she can continue. But she's not dead yet. She clutches her wand and again shoots 3 blasts of force at the ghoul grappling her.

Show

Magic Missile 9 (OOC #306)

Again rams the flaming sphere into the far right ghoul for 4 (OOC) DC15 DEX save for half.

Then if it ends their turn next to the sphere, they take 5 (OOC) damage, DC15 dex save for half.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-03-02 at 09:02 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1303

Freya

Freya continues firing upon that creature assaulting Zuri.

Spoiler
    Show
    Beam A: (1d20+7)[9], (damage (1d10)[3] force)

Beam B: (1d20+7)[23], (damage (1d10)[7] force)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

The slowed creature is carried away from the battlefield, and is unable to free himself from the sphere, instead being forced to sit in a corner and struggle pointlessly against the water. None of the monsters fall from your attacks this turn, though they all look severely weakened. Beorn's whip cracks twice over the head of the remaining faerie-fire'd creature, who retaliates by slashing at him with its claws, though his armour absorbs the entirety of the blow. Zuri and Freya's target, though filled full of singed holes from magic blasts, continues unabated, ignoring the damage as it rakes the druid with its claws and siphons yet more of her energy into itself leaving Zuri drained. Roswyn, freed of her bonds, lays into the remaining south undead that's harassing Gaks, though she doesn't manage to end its existence, and the undead does manage to wrap its tentacles around the wizard's arm, holding her in place, latching deep with the promise of drains to come.

Show

Zuri takes 5 slashing and 5 necrotic damage (two conc saves) with her max HP reduced by 5.
    Beorn takes 3 slashing damage, though it's zero after heavy armour master.
    Gaks takes 4 bludgeoning damage and is restrained, unless she blows one of her few remaining spellslots on another Shield.

Roswyn rolls low on one attack so she only deals a measly 15 damage this turn, despite being Reckless.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri gets weaker and weaker, almost passing out from the last attack. I don't have much longer, we better end this quickly. She continues her assault, trying to finish the creature attacking her and the one attacking Gaks.

Show

Magic Missile (3d4+3)[14]

Again rams the flaming sphere into the far right ghoul for (2d6)[12] DC15 DEX save for half.

Then if they end their turn next to the sphere, they take (2d6)[2] damage, DC15 dex save for half.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn clicks "autoattack"

Beorn continues his attack, growing frustrated at his inability to fittingly fell his foul foe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack vs FF target
    (1d20+9)[12] for (1d4+6)[10] + (2d6)[8]
    (1d20+9)[27] for (1d4+6)[8] + (2d6)[6]

(1d20+9)[16] for disadvantage on second attack if needing to switch targets.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I... will blow a spell slot on Shield.

Gaks lifted her shield, which grew to deflect the blow before shrinking down again before the weight could put her into a compromising position. She briefly surveyed the battlefield, and noted that her sphere could move to hit two of the creatures – but might douse Zuri's flaming sphere if it hit the lower one. So she brought it directly back to where it was.

Show
    Let' restrain the northeast one, shall we? (1d20)[9] strength save.

Evard's Tentacles – Web that does damage: broke
    Watery Sphere – Web that you can move: woke
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1308

Freya

"Don't pass out on me, Zuri!" Freya warns. She is getting a bit tired of all the fighting, but in a way this probably meant that this place was important to the Red Hand. Maybe defeating the forces here will cut off the thumb?

For good measure, Freya burns a little juice to keep Zuri's health going, via Healing word.

Show
    Beam A: (1d20+7)[10], (damage (1d10)[10] force)
    Beam B: (1d20+7)[25], (damage (1d10)[2] force)

Healing Word on Zuri: (1d4+4)[6]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

Like a small row of dominoes, the last three foes fall before your weapons and spells in quick succession. One of the undead gets one final slash of its claws against Zuri before falling still, along with the ones cut down by Roswyn and Beorn. The rest of the complex, what you can hear of it, is silent.None of the spellslinging or creature screaming seem to have alerted anyone, and if it has they've not come to check on you. There's only one door immediately visible to you, that being adjacent to Gaks, though there is another path untrod to the north. Beaten, bruised and drained your only question is "what next?"

Show

Combat over. Not a whole lot of loot on a bunch of naked zombies, shockingly.

With its last attack Zuri takes 6 slashing damage, but she barely saves against further necrotic damage.

Make sure sheets are updated with spells expended and health lots and healthpools reduced.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

"This area seems more secluded," Gaks mentioned to them. "I think I would best Identify the fountain." Laying her wounded hand on the OUTSIDE, and not in the sallow water, of the fountain, she began chanting with a pearl in hand.

Show
    Ritually casting Identify.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

"That was unpleasant. Not sure I am up for another fight like that for a bit." Beorn says as he slumps against the wall.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri slumps down to the floor, bloody and exhausted from the fight. She is definitely paler than normal. She eats the last of her goodberries, creates some more and eats those, and then creates some more and offers them to Roswyn.

"Can everyone keep going? I am wounded but can press on if we need to."

Show
    Eats the last ten goodberries, then uses her last fist and second level slots to create 20 more. She eats ten of these and then offers the last ten to Roswyn.

I am down to one 3rd and one 4th level spell slots. I only have 1 magic missile left. But with Conjure animals and my bear totem, I likely have one big fight left in me today.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Gaks Identify
    Show

The necromantic magic oozing from the mustard is clear, and it appears to be used in reanimation rituals, though its exact composition and method of production isn't clear. Removing the liquid from the pool will see its effect fade after roughly one hour. Brief exposure to the liquid hinders body and soul, equivalent to a Slow spell for roughly ten minutes. Prolonged exposure - or worse, being completely covered in it - risks paralysis for up to a day, though both can be avoided with a constitution saving throw.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #1314

Freya lets out a sigh of relief. "I am out of 'juice' as they say. A rest would be good, for I feel that there is something bigger awaiting us at the end.."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you think we ought retreat from this fortress before I put up the bubble?" Gaks asked the group. "Or rest here?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri looks around at the pool and the dead zombies.

"I'd rather go back to the wizard's room or the last room with the monks and rest there. This room makes me uneasy."

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-03-07 at 07:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks looked at the fountain. "I would not expect someone sensitive to the natural world to feel comfortable around this. It is a perversion of life, rotting away at all that it touches." A thought occurred. "Though I suppose another druid may have made this in the first place. We should not destroy anything we do not have to, and risk the rage of the Ghost Lord." She began following Zuri's directions back to the area with the monks to burn the bodies before they made a camp there.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

"A room with a single entrance is easier to defend, but harder to escape. Hopefully the magic will not attract notice."

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

Your path back to the monk-room is uninterrupted, as is the burning of the bodies and settling in. It's mid-afternoon at the latest when you set up, and a full rest will require the night, so you get a bit of time to just sit and nurse the many wounds that you've received over the battle.

Day 18, Night

It's during Freya's watch that something untoward occurs. Though muffled behind thick stone the sound of foot on stone, clacking as if it were bone striking the hard floors beneath you, can be heard approaching. The steps are awkwardly paced, as if limping, and lack a normal stride tempo. Once it reaches your door the enormously noisy screech of stone scraping against stone echoes throughout the room, interrupting any easy sleep. The creature standing in the threshold carries no light, and unless you've got any of your own stands in total darkness. Those with darkvision can make out the silhouette and some details of this creature. A man, once, perhaps. Now hunched, resting one arm on a small staff that seems incongruous with the ease at which it pulled open the door to your resting place. He's wearing what may have been a robe at once point, now pockmarked by moth holes and tears, it's little more than strips of cloth lazily layered atop him. A crown of what looks to be six rib bones - possibly human, possibly some other animal - is placed atop his hairless brow. His skin is taut, gaunt, and with clear gaps showing tendons and bone beneath. His feet are bare, with only the thinnest of skin cushioning the skeletal feet from the stone, though if it causes any discomfort he's made no effort to remedy it.

Most striking of the creature is its empty eyesockets, instead of eyeballs they're filled with a sickly yellow light, not entirely dissimilar to the liquid you encountered earlier. Any expectations that this was a normal skeleton are dispelled by these undulating gaseous lights, which permanently set shadows dancing across his wrinkled grey-brown skin. The creature ***** its head to one side, far further than one could with a fleshy neck, as it regards your bubble camp. "More thieves come to steal? But steal what? The most precious treasure is already stolen." The creature's not talking to you, you can tell as much by its tone and inflections, it's ruminating to itself. "But they ruined the Red's creatures and then came here. Why? Do they know? Do they suspect? Do they think? Does anyone think?" Another step closer. "So why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?" It repeats the word over and over again, as with the exact same tone, as if stuck in a loop.

Show

No long rest heals/spell slot refresh yet, your long rest hasn't yet been completed.

Unless you're exceptionally deep sleepers by choice, you should all hear the door scraping and wake up from it. Time to meet a strange druidic lich who's probably the Ghostlord but you don't know that for certain just yet.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri steps out of the bubble with a torch to talk to the lich. She knows this might be a terrible idea, but we need to see if we can keep it out of the war for the valley.

"Umm. Hello. Are you mister Ghostlord, sir? We aren't here to steal anything. We're just trying to protect our friends from these hobgoblins. Did they take something from you?"

Show
    Freya might want to do the talking if we are going to persuade him of anything. Hopefully we use my action to give her help.

She is also ready to dive back in the tiny hut if she needs to.