New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Freya

Freya hides out somewhere where she can see the other streets, in case someone or something else wants to interrupt this meeting. She thinks about everything her group has done so far on this adventure; fought many Red Hand members and she came close to death's door a few times. Perhaps Freya is just feeling a bit skittish from all the close calls in recent days. Still, did he do enough to help? The Red Hand was still on the march. How much did she contribute to hinder the forces of Tiamat?

Hopefully her friends were able to do enough. Hot and muggy as this vale was, the people deserved their little peace and quiet.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    "Daach ghaar, Gaks, and greetings to you all...though I note that your group isn't fully in attendance.” She shifts slightly in her saddle, perhaps thrown slightly off balance by the disparity in expected numbers. "Thank you for agreeing to meet. I hope we can come to an agreement today, but introductions first – once again I am Ulwai Stormcaller, Wyrmlord of the Red Hand. These two are of the same mind as I –“ she gestures first to the hobgoblin to her right, then her left, "This is Lun, and Nognog the Explosive,”. The two behind her both bow their heads in greeting. They fall silent, and none of them move to dismount, evidently waiting for permission, or at least a reply, from you before doing so.
    "Daal'duulkaan, rhuukhaar ac teraar.", Gaks nodded a greeting and brought her fist across her chest.
    "I am Gaakach the Transmuter. I hope to come to an agreement here as well, though perhaps I would first like to clarify something. You say you have come to us to negotiate for your safety, but we did not know of two of your existence until this moment, and have no authority in Brindol. What is threatening you, and what do you expect us to be able to do to help you avoid this danger?""
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Titan in the Playground

"You might have no official authority, but your actions around the Vale will bend the ears of Brindol's leaders. Already there's word in the capital about the heroes fighting against the Red Hand forces. If you beg mercy on our behalf, I feel confident they will listen." Ulwai doesn't smile at this, but neither does she look dissatisfied, it's just her speaking what she views as fact. "The Red Hand's forces are significant but I've tracked your movements and believe that with proper intervention the invasion will be damaging, but ultimately unsuccessful. I'm not stupid enough to tie my horse to a flaming cart, and so I come bearing information, in exchange for our guaranteed safety." One hand drifts to a satchel at her side, from which she gently gestures at a rolled up parchment poking its head from it, careful to ensure her actions could not be mistaken for a sudden threat or move towards a weapon or spell. She doesn't pull it out however, not yet at least.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks looked confused. "Why not simply run then? And are you also going to stop fighting with the Red Hand? In the heat of battle, I do not believe I can promise you safety." She noticed Ulwai’s movements. "Please, what do you have to show me?"
    Hobgoblins never used to act so carefully in front of me. Part of her considered this just an observation, but another part heard Kirxia’s voice, promising the Academy students that their peers would tremble before their might. And how unappealing the idea has been to her. I suppose one cannot escape everything.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

Ulwai hesitates for a moment, before tossing Gaks the parchment. "If we ran now we'd be tracked and hunted down. Kharn wouldn't let me escape. The only reason I've managed to arrange this meeting us under pretense of hunting you down. We have little choice but to continue as we are, for now, and perhaps slip away when the battle begins proper. But afterwards, I expect that goblinoids like us will not be viewed favourably, and so I am looking to strengthen our position."

Unfurling the parchment Gaks finds a map of the Elsir Vale, not entirely dissimilar to the one you took from Koth's quarters weeks ago, though its notations are a lot neater, precise, and efficient, and includes something that Koth's map was missing - that being a detailed trail path through the Giantshield Mountains to the north. "A second force is moving through the mountains, quietly. They lack siege engines but their giants are living weapons, and the troops are elite. As the majority of the Brindol forces will be facing to the west, distracted by the larger army, the Red Hand intends to deploy a sudden strike force from the northeast, crack and climb the walls and wreak havoc and chaos as a pincer. However, the summer heat makes the mountainsides brittle and easily cracked. With the application of magic or alchemical explosions you could bring the mountains down on the second army, wiping them out with rockslides before they get close."
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-05-06 at 10:37 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri continues to watch from the shadows in the second story of the building. She is ready to help if needed, but trusts Gaks to complete these negotiations.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn studies the map, thinking, Curious that Koth was not privy to this information. A ruse?

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps you can run with our help," Gaks suggested. "I am capable of making very fast steeds, as you may be aware. We can take you to Brindol, do all we can to ensure your safety and freedom – at least after the siege is over," Gaks said.
    "Then the best way to keep yourself safe will be to help prepare the city for the siege."

She wanted to give them time to say whether they'd accept this, but too many questions were burning on her mind for her to refrain from following up with "How did you know my name? And why have so many hobgoblins cast their lot in with Tiamat and her children?"
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

"Are you really suggesting that the safest place for us is going to be a city under siege, surrounded by people whom are about to face an impending goblinoid invasion?" She gives a dismissive chuckle. "No, I don't think so. Your words may buy us safety after the fact, but you're not going to be able to protect us while you're off stopping the second army. 'Just an accident', they'll tell you. 'She came right at me!' they'll say. Nevermind the risk of a building falling on us during the siege itself."

"You gave your names in the presence of one of the Red Hand's spies, though I'm not sure which one, just that one of Kharn's agents messages included them, along with rough descriptions. You do stand out, you know."

"As for why the Red Hand is joining with Tiamat...isn't it obvious? Power. Through her they've managed to unite disparate goblinoid groups, enslaved enormous beasts, gained the assistance of numerous dragons, and now stand poised for conquest undreamed of. Without Tiamat's support, would the Red Hand have so much momentum and strength behind it? No. It's a transaction - worship and service in return for boons, and it's a transaction most are willing to make happily."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks didn't think that the elves would necessarily be happy to accept these guests, and they had already offered so much help. So she did not bring them up. "Then you have my word. Do your best to stay out of the fighting at the end and I will personally see to your safety. If Brindol will not give you your freedom then I will get you away from Brindol. This I swear."
    They already had the map. And they only asked her for their word. "But there is one other thing... where we found you, you were with the Ghostlord. Do you know where the Red Hand keeps his phylactery?"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Titan in the Playground

Ulwai looks to Lun and Nognog the Explosive, who give curt but firm nods. "We'll do what we can. As for the phylactery, Saarvith keeps it with him at all times now. After you interfered with his mission in the swamp he got retasked to aiding the Giantshield troops. His pathfinding skills have been invaluable through the narrow passes, or so I'm told. I've got no love for the Ghostlord. If you happen to smash his phylactery, so much the better for us all." She tugs on the reigns of her worg, spurring it from its quiet rest. "I will trust your word, Gaakach the Transmuter. I hope I do not come to regret it."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks offered her wounded hand to clasp Ulwai's. "I as well. Kerthaan der ghec rhaarec."

Spoiler: Goblinoid
    Show
    Ride with my blessing.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Titan in the Playground

Ulwai hesitates at the gesture, but does finally grasp the hand in a firm handshake, before turning her worg and spurring it into action. Followed by her wolves and the other two riders, they stream down the country road, turning out of sight, the sounds of their movement carrying until it steadily fades into the distance, leaving you alone with the encroaching nightfall and Ulwai's map to make your next movement and decisions.

Spoiler: Insight
    Show

Neither Gaks nor Beorn detect any hints of deception from Ulwai's words.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Titan in the Playground

"It would seem that our next step is simple. Saarvith, the phylactery, and a chance to destroy an entire army supporting the Red Hand all lie within the mountains to the north," Gaks said, gesturing them all closer and passing the map around. "It is too important not to at least visit. Though while we are so close to Brindol, it may be a good time to try and send a message."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus comes out of his hiding place, as the enemy party leaves.

"This went much better than expected. Do you trust them? Because it seems we will be away when Bristol is attacked. This would be an excellent way to take us out of the fight and stage an ambush in a very convenient location."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Waiting for the Insight results.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Titan in the Playground

"I trust them," Gaks said. "And they trust me. That is... a heavy bond."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1457

Freya continued to watch and wait until the meeting concluded. Then they comes down from her hidden perch and rejoins the party. "I wish more meetings went this peacefully."

"So, where do we go now?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

"My advice would be to leave now. I see now point in waiting here. Perhaps if we move fast enough, we can be back for Brindol, though I don't see how. But stranger things have happened.

The only other option is that we split. Some of us go to Brindol, and the others go to hold this new army off. I am not yet sure how this will work, but I don't know this kind of magic. And if Saarvith is also there, perhaps all of our strength is needed"

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Titan in the Playground

"They say they trust you. We will have to see if it is true. Do we have a way to see if this second army is indeed coming without taking the time to go find them?"

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks shook her head. "Nothing good. We could send Wibbles ahead, but he is slower than us. Further, if anything happened to him I would have no way of knowing. He is also not particularly clever or if good memory, and I have not the materials to change his form with a raven that is. The good news is that Ulwai believes it is possible for us to destroy the army by bringing the mountain down upon them; much better than merely slowing them, would you not agree?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

[QUOTE=Bobthewizard;25036742]Zuri

Zuri trusts Gaks. She comes down from the second story lookout and joins the others.

"Since Gaks trusts this other hobgoblin, we should follow her directions and meet the army in the mountains. We need to find them and then get above them. I am ready to go when you are, Gaks."

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks's remaining biologic eye teared up and she wrapped Zuri in a hug. "Thank you, Zuri."
    She took note of the sky. "We can get two hours of travel in. I will make the horses." And she began the process of creating horses from the moisture around them.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

With a nod of his head, Aetus signals acceptance and deference to the plan.

"Onwards, then."

24. - Top - End - #1464

Freya agrees with the plan. "Yes, let us stay together and move mountains to save the Vale."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Titan in the Playground

It's not a great deal of progress made towards the Giantshield Mountains, but you at least put distance between yourselves and Elsircross in case of a sudden ambush - by Ulwai or others that don't share her professed beliefs.

Day 32

By midday you reach the foot of the Giantshield Mountain range which stretches for miles to the west towards Brindol, and much further east, all the way out of the Vale. The looming peaks shelter the Vale, and its inhabitants, from harsh climates to the north. The well-weathered peaks are arid, though not lifeless, with the northern slopes bearing the brunt of the weather being dry and rocky, and the southern slopes - where you're approaching from - more hospitable with patches of forest and gorges cut by streams of seasonal snowmelt, long since dried up by this point. Isolated farms and cottages are scattered over the southwest portion of the range, though most who live on the mountainsides are little more than hermits and not 'part' of the Vale per se. Out here, in the wilderness, there's little enforcement of Vale law, leading it to be lawless in a way that isn't necessarily criminal, simply the lack of any enforcement beyond the end of whoever has the biggest blade and the will to use it.

The lack of significant settlement by so-called "civilised" races means it's trailpaths are little more than animal trails at best. There's no room for carts or wagons, and it's much slower going to make sure a footfall isn't missed, as doing so could send you tumbling onto rocks below. Your first day in the mountains is spent picking routes that bring you ever further skyward, occasionally having to double back when a rockslide has ruined a path. With your slowed pace, you're perhaps halfway to the peak (which isn't even the tallest mountain).

Day 33

By the time you reach the top of the mountain, it's late afternoon. A strong westerly wind slowed your pace even further as you climbed, with each step against the rocky ground threatening to suddenly be wrenched out from under you by a particularly sudden gust, not to mention the rocks falling from overheard, requiring you to periodically cover your heads for fear of shards raining down on your heads. Cresting the peak is simultaneously exhilarating for reaching the top and deeply concerning, as any sort of protection you had from the wind is lost, forcing you to crouch, lest it carry you away. Still, now above the lip you have a better view of the Giantshields as a whole...and it's much of the same, as expected. There's no army in sight from your current position, but you do spot what looks like a smoke plume, hidden behind another mountain's height, off to the northeast. Distance (and time) is difficult to judge, but it's maybe one or two days away by foot.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-05-12 at 07:59 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri is cold. She's not happy to be up here on this mountain. She's not prissy and doesn't need a soft bed, but she prefers the forest to this world of snow and rock. But she knows what must be done.

"Let's go towards the smoke. When we get stuck, I can summon owls or bats to carry us for a little while."

Show
    2 times per day she will summon bats or owls to carry us for an hour. Each of those hours probably makes more progress than a whole day hiking in the mountains with switchbacks and no real trails. Whenever possible, we should use Gak's steeds since they don't use spells slots.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you, Zuri." Gaks said with a smile. But then she turned away. She didn't seem all there. She kept looking at her crippled hand and trying to open it all the way.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

The addition of favourable wind, and being able to fly above some of the more mountainous terrain, means you make good time moving towards the smoke plume, though the distance is still vast. Covered by the far mountain, the smoke melds with the darkness of nightfall, and you're forced to hold your progress for rest and recuperation.

Day 34

No such favourable wind exists today but the giant owls carry you close enough that you can see a new smoke plume in the early morning. By circling the taller mountain you gain visibility of a small group of hill giants below, sat around an enormous bonfire that's almost as big as the giant themselves. They seem to be alone, save a few giant lizards casually lazing in the sun at their sides, and there's no visible goblinoid presence, or indeed anything else that suggests they're Red Hand. They're positioned towards the bottom of a valley between two mountains, sparse arid grassland beneath them. Just where they found the wood for the bonfire isn't clear, but they seem to have a significant stash of it. Enormous chunks of meat are skewered besides the fire, gently roasting as the giant feast loudly. You can't reach them with your current mounts, but a second casting of conjure animals would allow you to reach them with time to spare. Because of the clear skies and lack of cover, any advance - be it on foot or by air - is going to be visible to the giants.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Titan in the Playground

"Giants, yes. Army, not so much. Aetus, can you sense any goblins about?"

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps they know if the Red Hand is passing through their lands," Gaks said, recalling their last encounter with a friendly giant. "Perhaps they have been driven from their home and may help us."

Show
    Is there anything suggesting that these giants are living out here? Tents, mixed men and women, children?
    Show