New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "May I take twenty of the gold coins we've received in order to purchase a spell component I feel will be helpful to us?"
    "Shall I divide the coins, then? Or do you wish me to keep a journal of our spending?" Freya asks, primarily to Gaakach, but also generally to the party. She can keep a ledger for the party fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    "You all know the drill, 1 will feed you for the day, and each one will heal you little if you need them. No complaining about the taste."
    "Still a better taste than boiled sheep guts from back home," Freya comments.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps dividing them and being done with it would be best," Gaks suggested.
    "I hope to add to my spellbook when opportunities present themselves, as well."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #123

Freya will divide the coins-- 40gp each and the extra 10 goes to Gaks for her pearl purchase.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn pockets his share of the coins and the magic berry while attacking his breakfast. "One way or another, I don't expect to be in an inn for a few days, so best eat up. I appreciate reliable sustenance on the road as much as anyone," he nods to Freya, "Indeed have been without it to often not to, but there is something to be said for a hot meal."

(ready to go when everyone else is)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded thanks and went in search of a jeweler witg any willing to travel with her.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Kellin points Gaks in the direction of the sundries store - owned and staffed by one Jarett Nurth. A human woman from the south, with dark hair matching a darker complexion. She does have a pearl in stock, and explains that she keeps a small stash of odd components for Sertieren, the halfling town wizard who lives in a (supposedly) haunted manor on the north end of town.

With the pearl in hand and any other business concluded, the party sets off. It's easy traveling, albeit not particularly fun given the oppressive heat. The canopy of the woods does at least provide some shade against the worst of it. It takes maybe an hour and a half until you come across a deep forest glade. Breaking off the trail is a path leading to a small cabin. A ramshackle front porch is littered with fishing baskets and skinning frames. The cabin overlooks a small, dark lake, with old grey cedar-trees draped in moss rising out of the water. An old skiff is tied up on the shore nearby, and a little smoke curls from the fieldstone chimney.

While you're still some distance off, three large hunting dogs spring out from beneath the porch and race towards you, growling and barking loudly. They stop roughly ten feet away and don't approach further, but they're clearly not happy to see guests. There's a hint of movement inside the cabin, but it could just be the wind or a shadow playing tricks on your eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone did have anything else they'd like to do in town that got missed before setting off let me know in the OOC thread tyty
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri speaks first to the others, "Dogs! This seems like it should be my job." She smiles, then pulls out a goodberry for each of the dogs and starts to bark at them.

Spoiler: DM only
    Show
    She uses Speech of the Woods "Hi there. We don't mean you any harm. We are just passing through unless there is anything we can do to help you. Here have some treats" she tosses each of them a goodberry. "Can you tell me who lives here? Who is your person?"

Spoiler: notes
    Show
    Hobgoblins, Tiamat

Drellin’s Ferry
    Norrow Winston, Town Speaker
    Soranna, Guard Captain
    Delora, Stablemaster
    Kellin Shadowbanks, Innkeeper, Old brige Inn
    Jerett Nurth, Sundries Store
    Sertieren, Halfling town wizard in haunted manor on north of town
    Jorr, Woodsman 3-4 miles north

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-04-24 at 02:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks, under the understanding that she'd need to make herself somewhat scarce, moved to the back of the party and pulled up her hood.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn spends the evening carousing with anyone interested, though she keeps a close eye on her coinpurse, keeping in mind the stablewoman's advice. The next morning she's bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready for whatever the day has to offer. She scarfs down her breakfast in true halfling manner, hoping that the flavor would last long enough before they had to resort to the goodberries Zuri was handing out. Not that she wasn't grateful, but the request for no complaints prevented her from sharing her true opinion on the magical fruits.

Once on the road, Roswyn is her usual cheerful self, humming the tune to a sailor's shanty up to the point where they're confronted with angry dogs. She stands her ground and keeps a close eye on the dogs as Zuri approaches them. She calls out in case the owner is within earshot, "We don't mean any harm. Just want to ask you about some goblins mucking about, then we'll be gone with the winds."
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2020-04-24 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

10. - Top - End - #130

Freya watches the party's surroundings while Zuri does her dog-whisperer trick. A little paranoia isn't a bad idea.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus starts his day early, taking his long-sought swim in the river. For half an hour or more, he swims around, enjoying the freezing sense of water around him. His spirits high, he eats a hearty breakfast and starts the journey, the memory of the cold water sustaining him

When they get to the woodsman cabin, Aetus also focuses on the dogs. While Zuri speaks with the beasts, Aetus kneels and starts sniffing and yelping, conveying to the dogs that they mean no harm.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Primeval Awareness to communicate with the beasts.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

The hounds continue barking, turning their nose up at the offered berry.
    Spoiler: Dogspeak/Awareness
    Show
    "Back off! No tresspassers! None!" They're agitated, and in no mood for bargaining it seems. They're clearly not hungry.
    Their hostile demanour changes when the shutter on one of the windows of the cabin slams open. Out from it leans a grizzled human of maybe fifty years, who yells out "Oi you mangy mutts, back 'ere, now." They're well trained, and they quickly shift from irritated and on guard to obedient and happy, rushing back to the cabin. The man slips away and a moment later the cabin's door opens and the lean woodsman steps out onto the porch. He has a seamed, leathery look to his face and arms and a big curved knife sits in a sheath strapped to one thigh. Across his chest lies a longbow to match the quiver full of arrows strapped to his back. The dogs surround him happily, and he gives them light pats on the head. His hands aren't on the weapons, but judging by his stance he's ready to use them if it should come to it.

"Don't get many folks round here, and you ain't look like city-slickers." He rasps. "Who're and what do you want with ol' Jorr?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    "Who're and what do you want with ol' Jorr?"
    "We are a team of adventurers, here to help Drellin Ferry end the problem of raiders," Freya says, stepping forward. "I am Freya. These are my companions; Gaakach, Aetus, Zuri, Roswyn, and Beorn. We were told by Lady Soranna that you know of the going ons around these woods, yes?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks flinched at her distinctly Goblin name as it was used to introduce her.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Jorr's teeth grit at Gaks' full name. "Show me your faces, all of you. No sudden moves." His hand moves towards the knife on his though, though he keeps it in its sheathe for now.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach slowly removed her hood and stared right at Jorr.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

Freya slowly pulls back her hood, still keeping a pleasant attitude. She shows that her hands are empty. "We are all friends here. Just want to ask a few questions. What you know of the area could help save the town."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri picks up the refused Goodberries and stands with the others, letting Freya do the talking. People always seem to like her better so Zuri has learned not to speak up when something important is on the line. She trusts Freya to handle this.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn speaks in a friendly tone, "If it helps, we cut our way through a bandit ambush on our way into town. Wiped them out, actually. Seems hobgoblins have been a bit of an issue around these parts, so we understand some reticence regarding our companion here. Not all people are the same, reckon the same goes for everybody else."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn lowers her hood when instructed, but keeps quiet and lets the others do the talking. They were better with words than she was, and she pouted a bit that the dogs weren't within petting distance any more.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh o'course, of course!" Jorr says with the voice of one infuriated by absurdity. He laughs, bitterly. "We're done. Leave. If -" He spits on the ground. " - goblins want to kill each other, I'm not gonna eat a dagger in the back over it. They're all over the woods, I'm sure you'll find some soon enough." With that, he turns back into his cabin, the dogs following him, and slams his door shut. The bang sets a number of birds in the surrounding trees to the skies, cawing loudly at the sharp noise.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not fully better yet but should be back to normal posting. Worst looks to be behind me - so far, at least.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks scowled and unfurled the map.
    "It is of no consequence. We were directed to Vraath's Keep, that's right here on the map, on the road away from Drellin's Ferry. All we need do is follow the road and keeps straight when it forks right. Jorr is right about what he implied - we don't need his help, and we're wasting daylight trying to get it."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Zuri agrees with Gaks. "Well isn't he a grumpy man. Yes, let's leave him be and keep moving."

Spoiler: notes
    Show
    Hobgoblins, Tiamat

Drellin’s Ferry
    Norrow Winston, Town Speaker
    Soranna, Guard Captain
    Delora, Stablemaster
    Kellin Shadowbanks, Innkeeper, Old brige Inn
    Jerett Nurth, Sundries Store
    Sertieren, Halfling town wizard in haunted manor on north of town
    Jorr, Woodsman 3-4 miles north (grumpy and no help)

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-04-28 at 10:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn shrugs and turns away, ready to move on.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn nods. Sometimes grumpy old men are just grumpy old men. "Well, he did tell us one thing. Hobgoblins are everywhere, everyone keep a sharp eye."

26. - Top - End - #146

Freya

Freya huffs, but rejoins her companions. "Yes, let us caution and move onward."

She keeps her hands near her weapons and spells on her mind. She was sure they would fight another group of hobgoblin brigands this day.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Seeing that their negotiation failed, Aetus takes the lead and says.

"Let us move away from the farm a little while. Let me see what the ground and wind say. Then I say I go ahead thirty steps and scout"

Aetus sits on the ground and puts his ear to the ground. For a moment or so, he sniffs the air, hears the ground and takes long looks through the trees. He tries to hear and feel the sound of heavy boots moving and sense their passing.

Show
    Using Primeval Awareness to see if and where there are hobgoblins in a 5 mile radius, their direction and numbers.
    Also, if the others agree, Aetus can move stealthily at full pace. He can stay ahead for 40 feet and scout.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Primeval Awareness
    Show
    Jorr wasn't lying when he said they were all over - you sense multiple groups of goblins (4-6 per group) from almost all directions - the closest is maybe half a mile south, the furthest is on the far edge of your senses to the north. It looks like the trail west towards the main road is currently clear and there aren't any there currently that are on your path. You do sense a larger group clustering to the southwest, 3-4 miles away, with at least 20 all close together.

With Jorr being a lost cause, you head back on the trail to Vraath Keep. Thanks to Aetus' scouting it's not hard to follow the trail and avoid stumbling on any sudden encounters, and before long you leave the back ways and reach the Dawn Way - a lofty name for a road that's less than impressive at this point. Its main difference from the trail you were just on is the wagon tracks embedded into the dirt and its slightly less covered by vegetation.

The path to Vraath slopes down into a low valley. A wide expanse of dark water has flooded the woodland here. Trees still protude from the calm, dark waters here and there, but many large reaches seem to be little more than open pools of algae-choked water. Teh trill of frogs and the whine of insects fills the air. The forest road leads right down to the edge of the flooded section, up to a rickety causeway made of thick planks of wood lashes together with mossy rope, just barely wide enough for a wagon to travel down, barely enough room for two people to comfortably walk side-by-side. The wooden auseway runs for several undred feet through teh boggy patch, only a foot or so above the water.

It's maybe just short of noon at this point, with the sun looming high and little shade to be found. The air is teeming with humidity and it stinks of boiling swamp.

Show
    Little bit of RP intermission, new set piece event tomorrow - ProudGrognard/Aetus let me know if you're staying scouted up ahead or rejoining the group for the causeway crossing.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn nods toward the causeway. "Mighty fine place for an ambush." He wipes away the sweat from his forehead and takes a pull from his waterskin.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach nodded agreement, and sent Wibbles of the One Eye ahead to get a good look at the area from a higher vantage point.

Spoiler: Perception for Wibbles
    Show
    (1d20+1)[16]
    Show