New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Zuri

On Beorn's signal, Zuri prepares to cast her spell. She whispers a few words but the chant takes a little longer than she expected. When she finally finishes, vines grow out of the ground and start to wrap around the goblins and worgs.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

She casts entangle. Each creature needs to make a DC15 Strength save or be restrained. Once restrained, they need to use their action to make a Strength check to get out.

Entangle

Conjuration

Level: 1
    Casting time: 1 Action
    Range: 90 feet
    Components: V, S
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Grasping weeds and vines sprout from the ground in a 20-foot square starting from a point within range. For the duration, these plants turn the ground in the area into difficult terrain.

A creature in the area when you cast the spell must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be restrained by the entangling plants until the spell ends. A creature restrained by the plants can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. On a success, it frees itself.

When the spell ends, the conjured plants wilt away.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-05-07 at 12:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus
    HP:33 AC:16

Aetus nods slowly and positions himself for maximum coverage and distance, making sure the wolves can easily reach him. At the count of three, he comes out and starts raining arrows at the goblin riders, following Beorn's guidance. He then steps back to cover.

Spoiler: OOC with LOTS of rolls
    Show
    Soooo, in case he has advantage and Five (!?!) attacks, he will pick a thicket of trees for cover. Then, he will move, shoot and get back to cover. Sharpshooter, Elven accuracy and Favored Enemies

Atk1 (1d20+4)[11] and (1d20+4)[9] and (1d20+4)[15] dmg (1d8+16)[22]

Atk2 (1d20+4)[11] and (1d20+4)[13] and (1d20+4)[6] dmg (1d8+16)[23]

Atk3 (1d20+4)[15] and (1d20+4)[18] and (1d20+4)[11] dmg (1d8+16)[18]

Atk4 (1d20+4)[13] and (1d20+4)[16] and (1d20+4)[21] dmg (1d8+16)[19]

Atk5 (1d20+4)[15] and (1d20+4)[14] and (1d20+4)[7] dmg (1d8+16)[24]

EDIT: It could have gone better, but with some luck one or two riders will be out

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks doubled down on Zuri's plan and withdrew a spiderweb from her component pouch, which she expanded into a massive spider-web that was interspersed between the plants, reinforcing the difficulty of getting through.

Spoiler: Web, 20 foot cube or as close to that as possible using the plants as supports
    Show
    So the wargs and possibly the goblins will need to make dexterity saves at the start of their turns or become restrained, requiring strength checks to get out on subsequent turns. Better yet, if they succeed but are restrained by entangle, starting their turn in the web forces them to make the save vs restrained again.

Wargs:
    (1d20)[6]
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[18]
    (1d20)[18]
    (1d20)[10]
    (1d20)[17]

Goblins:
    (1d20)[2]
    (1d20)[11]
    (1d20)[2]
    (1d20)[4]
    (1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[20]
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn hurls a pair of javelins at any surviving riders before running adjacent to the edge of the webs and vines. Maybe she could flank any riders trying to flee and cut off their escape.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:(1d20+3)[20]
    Attack:(1d20+5)[7] or (1d20+5)[7] for (1d6+3)[4]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+5)[19] or (1d20+5)[16] for (1d6+3)[5]
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Spamalot in the Playground

Freya

She watches the goblins and worggos pass by. Then the party attacks! Freya will follow up at the end of the strike with a lullaby to put several of the group to sleep.

Sleep:
    (5d8)[20] HP worth of enemies.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

The patrol is taken utterly by surprise. They didn't see you coming at all, and it's reflected by their inability to respond to the onslaught of magics and projectiles that fly their way. One of Roswyn's javelins flies wide, but the other bites into the nearest goblin. Any response he might have had to this is cut off when Freya's sleep spell knocks him out, though his harness keeps him in the saddle. Aetus' arrows are similarly successful, striking two dead while the remaining arrows plink off of armour and shields or skirt past their targets.

The combination of webs and swirling vines that spring forth from Gaks and Zuri grasp at a number of them, though some of the targets break free and try to rouse their companions to do the same.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

You've got half-cover while in the treeline, that's the only 'special' terrain here.

White box=Webbed area
    Green box=Entangled area

Top Left Goblin - Took a javelin to the face, now asleep, but Worg awake
    Top Middle Goblin - He's webbed, his Worg is entangled.
    Top Right Goblin - He's fine, his Worg is entangled.
    Middle-Left 'Goblin' - Died to an arrow, Worg is fine.
    Middle-Right Goblin - He's entangled, his Worg is webbed.
    Bottom 'Goblin' - Died to an arrow, Worg is fine.

Hope that clears it up? Lots of spell effects hitting around at once. Let me know if there's any confusion. I tried to accommodate spell effects not directly overlapping but still hitting multiple targets as best they could.

Final initiative count was:

Roswyn - 20
    Aetus - 19
    Gaks - 13
    Beorn - 10
    Freya - 10
    Goblins+Worgs - 9
    Zuri - 4

So Roswyn through to Freya get another turn before the goblins+worgs will finally get to (potentially) act.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn points to the nearest worg, "Focus on the free worgs, don't let them escape."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bonus action is to aid someone's attack (does Aetus already have advantage? Will aid the first attack made without advantage)
    Will move straight to the right to try to physically block escape.
    Action is to give Aetus two attacks (this is getting familiar)

8. - Top - End - #188

Freya

She hears Beorn's command and it seems logical enough to her. Freya points to the [Bottom Worg] and lets lose her twin beams of force to slay the creature.

Spoiler: Eldritch Blast
    Show
    Attacking the bottom worg in hopes to teach it to play dead. Forever. :3
    Beam 1: (1d20+7)[21]
    Damage: (1d10)[9] force

Beam 2: (1d20+7)[26]
    Damage: (1d10)[5] force
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

"Duuch daan Draal!" Gaks cried out, flicking her wrist upward. Decay and rot carried over the worg that Freya had injured, threatening to suck away its vitality.

Spoiler: Toll the Dead
    Show
    It needs to add its WIS bonus to (1d20)[12] and make a 15
    Or take (2d12)[15] necrotic damage.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn keeps moving to cut off the retreat of the worgs and their riders, reaching for her flail before lashing out with enough force to almost throw off her balance. If she weren't so small she would try and tackle one of the worg to keep it from escaping, but she had to settle with cutting off their retreat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to be diagonally adjacent to top left and top right Worg for the purpose of triggering AoOs.

Attacking Top Left Worg
    Reckless Attack: (1d20+5)[18] or (1d20+5)[21] for (1d6+3)[7]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+5)[22] for (1d6+3)[5]
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus
    HP:34 AC:16

Aetus once again fires from cover, targeting goblins first and then worgs. He is smiling grimly, seeing that his enemies are entangled and he can aim better.

"Solonor,aist- mime cú!"

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Here we go, Sharpshooter and elven accuracy and Hunter's mark as BA
    1st attack (1d20+4)[11] or (1d20+4)[14] or (1d20+4)[22] dmg (1d8+14)[19] add +2 if goblin and (1d6)[5] from HM
    2nd attack (1d20+4)[17] or (1d20+4)[10] or (1d20+4)[19] dmg (1d8+14)[16] add +2 if goblin and (1d6)[4]
    3rd (1d20+4)[23] or (1d20+4)[16] or (1d20+4)[12] dmg (1d8+14)[17] add +2 if goblin and (1d6)[4]
    4th (1d20+4)[23] or (1d20+4)[16] or (1d20+4)[22] dmg (1d8+14)[21] add +2 if goblin and (1d6)[3]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks and Freya's spells combine to bring down the lead worg, shattering the formation that was already crumbling. This isn't helped by Aetus deftly taking out all four remaining goblin riders in a flurry of arrows, leaving only the pack of worgs to contend with.

The one that Roswyn cut off from escaping to the north and struck, lacking any direction or guidance, bursts away from his attacker through into the treeline right into Aetus. Surprised, it lunges onto him, knocking him onto his back and biting into the arm that he flung up to protect his exposed neck. The dead goblin rider flops precariously back and forth on the worg's back as it shuffles left and right trying to get, a farcical mockery of life and death. Another worg manages to free itself, and rushes to attack Roswyn from behind.

Spoiler
    Show

Three central worgs are webbed. One broke free of the entangle but then got webbed (good job).
    Aetus is knocked prone.
    Roswyn can use her reaction to attack the fleeing worg if she wants, but I didn't calculate it changing how the turns go so I'll leave the rolls up to you.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

In an attempt to force the Worg away from Aetus, Zuri steps up to it, hold out her hand and a thunderous boom erupts, knocking into the great, ugly beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    She moves one square up and one to the right and casts Thunderwave, DC15 CON save or (2d8)[9] damage and pushed 10' away, hopefully saving Aetus from needing to disengage. Save for half and no push. Could you resolve this before Aetus goes so he knows what he needs to do.

Thunderwave

Evocation

Level: 1
    Casting time: 1 Action
    Range: Self (15-foot cube)
    Components: V, S
    Duration: Instantaneous

A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you.
    Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed.

In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from you by the spell’s effect, and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

The worg in her face gave Gaks a pretty simple idea of what to do.
    "Duuch daan Draal!" Gaks said again, once more leeching away at life, this time of the dog that had just gone for Aetus.

Spoiler: Toll the Dead
    Show
    It needs to add its WIS bonus to (1d20)[15] and make a 15
    Or take (2d12)[9] necrotic damage.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

Freya

"Bad dog! Sit your runty butt down like the pup you are!" Freya commands with a vicious tone of mockery.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casting Vicious Mockery at the close worg, the one on Aetus.

Worg must make a WIS save (DC 15) or take (2d4)[5] psychic damage and have Disadvantage on its next attack.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Unable to aid Aetus, he leaves him in the hands of the others. Beorn lays into the worg in front of him with his blade. "Roswyn, don't let that one escape."
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack (1d20+7)[21]
    Damage (1d8+4)[12]

attack (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage (1d8+4)[6]

IF worg drops, move 'NORTH' 10 feet and bonus action expend leadership die to aid another on Roswyn, next attack has advantage
    Last edited by stack; 2020-05-11 at 07:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn lashes out at the single Worg which broke rank before folinw up with a pair of swings at the would-be flanker. "C'mon you mangy dogs, think just because you're bigger I can't keep up?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack of Opportunity: (1d20+6)[17] for (1d8+3)[9]
    Attacking the upper Worg: (1d20+6)[7] or (1d20+6)[8] for (1d8+3)[7]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[10] for (1d8+3)[8]

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Intent on his shooting, Aetus does not act fast enough to avoid the worg coming on him. He is knocked down. As he does, he rolls and comes up running, taking strength from the ground and wind itself.

He comes up and starts moving away from the worg, shooting all the while.

Show
    Casting Zephyr Strike as a BA. Standing up and moving away 45/2= 20 ft without provoking AoO.

Two attacks this round, the first with advantage, against the warg

1st attack (1d20+4)[22] or (1d20+4)[14] or (1d20+4)[19] dmg (1d8+14)[19]
    2nd attack (1d20+4)[8] dmg (1d8+14)[22]

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Despite not understanding Freya's words, the worg atop Aetus is clearly thrown off balance by the magic that strikes it, though it resists that of Gaks. It's enough to force it back, and then be sent flying by the wave of energy that Zuri unleashes. It's launched away, slamming into tree after tree with sickening crunches before it falls down dead.

One of Aetus' arrows goes wide, but the other strikes the worg beside Beorn, giving him ample opportunity to drive his sword deep into the enormous creature's neck. Blood seeps down the blade and onto his hands as the beast falls and gurgles it's last sad howl.

Roswyn and her worg strike at each other but neither seem to find purchase on a proper hit. It lashes out, trying to bite down on her head, but she dodges barely. A flash of realisation seems to come over the worg as it chances to glance beyond his target at the dead, and it spins in place, bolting north down the trail away from you. One of its allies follows suit, leaving just one worg behind still struggling and barking furiously against the webs.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

For distance on the northernmost worg, he's 60' from Gaks, 55 from Roswyn, 70 from Beorn/Zuri, 80 from Freya and 90 from Aetus. Knock off 15' for the one just below him. Just to save you from counting squares for range.

Roswyn gets another reaction chance on the fleeing worgs - please specify which you'd like to hit. Have I kept consistent with it being worg and not warg? I don't know, and I'm not going to check. It should be worg. One of the two finally escaped the webbing, but there's still one stuck.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #200

Freya

"We have some runners," Freya mutters softly. She quickly gestures her hands together and unleashes an eldritch blast of magic at the lead escaping worg, hoping to injure it badly so it can be taken down before it gets away.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Eldritch Blast at the top most worg, 90 feet away.

Bolt 1: (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage (1d10)[2]

Bolt 2: (1d20+7)[18]
    Damage (1d10)[5]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn skirts the edge of the spell effects to interpose himself between the final trapped worg and those fleeing, giving a shout. "Drop the runners if you can!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    2 attacks to Aetus and moving North, then west to stay out of the spell areas

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Along with the others, Zuri runs after the fleeing Worgs, a spectral vine appears in her hand and she whips it, lashing out at the trailing Worg in an attempt to trip it and pull it back. "Stop!" She yells at the Worg.

Show
    Thorn whip attack: (1d20+7)[19] Damage: (2d6)[7] and pull it back 10'

Edit: looks like I'll only be able to reach the trailing Worg so I changed the post above. 30' of movement followed by 30' reach of the thorn whip.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-05-12 at 07:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Still chanting his druidic chant, Aetus moves faster than most humanoids, unleashing two arrows as he does.

Show

With Zephyr Strike, Aetus has MV 45 so he pursues. He rolls two attacks, the first with advantage and Sharpshooter.

1st attack (1d20+4)[21] or (1d20+4)[18] or (1d20+4)[12] dmg (1d8+14)[19]
    2nd attack (1d20+9)[26] dmg (1d8+4)[5]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks moved her target to the trailing worg, as the other was getting focus fire from Aetus and it was her opinion that it was already dead. She flicked her crippled hand up once more, feeling the familiar pain of working magic with her weakened hand. She transferred that pain to the worg, leeching life once more. "Duuch daan Draal!"

Show
    Toll the Dead on the closer of the fleeing worgs.
    It must add its WIS save bonus to (1d20)[10]; beat a 15 or suffer
    (2d12)[12] necrotic damage.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn swings her flail at the fleeing worgs. She stashes her flail for a time as the two remaining worgs seem intent on getting away, hurling the last of her javelins while running to catch up with the escapees.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO on the upper worg: (1d20+6)[11] for (1d8+3)[9]
    Move straight north 15'
    Attack the upper worg: (1d20+6)[11] for (1d6+3)[8]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[10] for (1d6+3)[6]
    Move north 20'

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

The combined might of the party brought to bear is enough to halt any chances of escape. Zuri's thorn whip drags one back towards the group while an assortment of magic, arrows and javelins tear into the two fleeing animals. The yelps are short and quickly cut off. Dead, like the rest.

Only one worg is left that Beorn moved to intercept. It keeps struggling at the webs but ultimately fails to break free. It barks, loudly, but it's sound and fury signifying nothing but failure.

Spoiler
    Show

If you want to roll attack/damage, it's up to you, but honestly there's essentially a zero% chance that the worg survives the next turn even without expending resources - since he's still restrained, all attacks against him have advantage. I dunno, do people wanna roll dice? The option's there but if someone wants to just RP executing the worg (it won't surrender) then...first come first serve.

S'up to you, but combat's 'won'. I'll shift to next setpiece either tomorrow night or thursday morning unless it looks like people are in the middle of something STEAMY so kinda free RP time as you keep making your way north.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I think I'll take the execution if that's alright.

Gaks spurted fire from her hands, catching the web aflame to cook the worg in burning thistles and webbing until it thudded down, dead.
    "We should search the goblins," Gaks said. "Look for clues on how long they were expected to be away - and how long we have before they're missed."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

Freya

"Do we want to track the path they took back to where they started?" Freya asks the group.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded. "It's the best lead we have."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn sifts through the looted weapons and grabs a shortbow and 20 arrows for herself after grabbing all her javelins. Couldn't hurt to have something that could send an arrow farther than she could throw anything. At the suggestion of tracking the worgs back, she agrees. "If we can follow them back to their safe harbor, we can get a better idea of what we're really dealing with."