New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

Zuri

"Yes. They came from the way we are going anyway so let's keep going. Does anyone have some way to scout ahead so we don't risk Aetus getting attacked again?"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded to her bat, Wibbles of the One Eye. "Fly ahead of us, but always within range of our link," she told him, and the bat (secretly a fiend!) flew off.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-05-12 at 06:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Spamalot in the Playground

Freya

"So we follow, but stay off the road, yes?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

"What's wrong with the road?" Gaks asked. "If the tracks are on the road, don't we need to stay on the road to follow them?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #215

Freya

"Well, I do not wish for us to be ambushed in return. We only need one of us to read the tracks, no?" Freya explains.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn weighs in, "We have no knowledge of the frequency of their patrols. I advise a cautious advance; when our forward eyes, thank you Gaks, are in a position to see before we are seen, the road will be safe enough to be worth the convenience; we can move off the road and set up our own ambush if anything is spotted. It will be some time before news of this skirmish reaches the ears of anyone who can ambush us in return."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded at the thanks. "Is there any need for mounts? If anybody requires a respite, as I do not, I can take the time to provide steeds for us."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #218

Freya

"I am okay walking. I would prefer to horse around at a tavern with tales of our victories," Freya humors, "I should pen a ballad about the hydra vanquished today."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded and sent Wibbles of the One Eye ahead while she fell in line walking, deciding not to create a horse until they were at a tavern.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn agrees, "I'm all set to keep marching. Horses make noise, and we don't want to be heard."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus looks mildly offended by the suggestion that he should let someone else scout.

"I will look for tracks either way"

he says, as he starts to move stealthily but quickly, his eyes darting around.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Survival (1d20+5)[8] Advantage if there are Humanoids there (1d20+5)[15] . Moving at normal pace, staying 35 feet ahead of the group.
    Stealth (1d20+7)[19]

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

The tracks are easy enough to follow - and they do take you on your intended destination to begin with. It's still a few hours of careful path following but you're not disturbed by any further patrols, either on the ambushed or the ambusher side. The road eventually forks, with the main path continuing north and the tracks leading west. A quick consultation of the map you received from the Speaker confirms the suspicion that you're headed directly to Vraath Keep.

While it's not quite dusk when you approach, it's not far off. Looming out of the shadowy woods ahead is the haunting sight of a ruined keep. The old castle sits on a small rocky hillock, and you can catch glimpses of a broken tower between the trees. A moss-covered stone at the side of the road you're following marks a footpath that looks like it leads up to the keep. Aetus easily identifies that numerous humanoids - some with much larger feet than him - and several large wolves/worgs have been using this track recently.

The old keep is in very poor repair. The gatehouse is partially collapsed, as is a section of wall to the south. A small wooden building sits next to the remains of a long-abandoned garden in front of the structure. The walls surrounding the keep are about fifteen feet high, with a two story tower rising up in the southwest corner within. Large boulders lie strewn amid the ruins of the two watch towers, and a massive humanoid skeleton, maybe 18 feet tall, slumps amid the ruins of the northern one. The skeleton wears the tattered fragments of hid armour, and a large club lies next to one of its bony arms. If there are any inhabitants, you can neither see nor hear them from your position a few minutes walk way from the keep walls.

Spoiler
    Show
    How you gonna approach this?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn studies the walls. "If we rest and move in fresh, there is a chance that they might discover us via patrols or get word of the missing patrol. We still have light. While some of us can operate in darkness, I expect most of them can, so would we would be at a disadvantage if we linger too long. I expect that the gate and gap are watched if anyone resides here, so don't know that either is more favorable. So, do we go now, or wait for dawn?"

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

"Since it is almost dusk, I suggest we find a place to hide inside one of Gak's magic huts for the night and investigate the keep at first light in the morning. I think that gives us a better chance of catching anything inside asleep. If everyone else wants to go in now, though, that's fine with me too."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks called her bat back to her, but didn't offer commentary on whether dusk or dawn would be preferable - the choice didn't affect her much, she had the same advantages in the dark as their foe. In her mind the choice was Aetus's if it was not Beorn's, for he had been chewed on by a massive multi-headed serpent earlier that day.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226

Freya

"Delaying till dawn would allow us rest for the coming confrontation contained within the keep," Freya proses, "However, they will know by then that one of their patrols is slain. We would be at our best, but so would they. It will be an epic encounter, and I am okay with that."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

"I say we rest and observe. It would be best if we do that while rested. But unless we have magic, let us use no fire nor make any sound. If you want, I can scout for you now, see if anyone is there. I make a convincing hobgoblin.

Otherwise, I will look for a good, hidden spot to scout."

Show
    Survival to find a place where we can remain hidden while resting. (1d20+5)[23]
    Stealth (1d20+7)[17]

From Gloom Stalker, also hidden by Darkvision

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

As you settle in for the night nearby and make a small covered camp, you notice a thin plume of smoke rising from the southern section of the keep. Shortly afterwards, a sickly greenish-yellow light flickers inside the second floor of the ruined tower, and the faint sound of eerie moaning can be heard from within.

The night passes quietly and without issue, those on watch are unbothered by any wandering creatures or monsters - perhaps they steer clear of the Keep since the new occupants moved in and you face no ambushes. There's a slight chill in the air due to lack of cloud cover, but it's more relative to the scorching heat of the day than actual cold. In the distance you hear the occasional wolf howl or other animal call, but they're all far off.

The dawn comes and you're faced with another day of clear skies and scorching heat. Time to go.

Spoiler
    Show
    Long rest occurs - refresh your HP, HD, spells, etc.

Are you going to approach the keep from the east or south? Will you check the exterior shack?

Here's a nice fog-of-war'd map to give you an idea of what you can see from outside the keep - it's not much! But just to give you an idea of size/layout.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn begins strapping on his armor. "Alright, we have a fresh day. Let's get ready, with any luck they will sleep in. Thoughts on approach? Seems they ought to guard both, if they of a mind to set a guard. Scrambling over the broken wall might slow things down if a withdraw is required. Have to be prepared."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

"The tower can see anything West and South, and they are likely watching the road to the East, so I think we should approach from the North, then work our way around the corner, staying along the wall on the front of the building on the East, and try to enter from the rubble on the northern section of the East entrance. This should cut down on any cover they could use to defend against us.

Perhaps Aetus can hide in the woods with a clear view of the entrance to give us cover. If we get stopped, I could summon some animals to attack from the south end of the east entrance.
    "

Show
    Are there any visible guards, arrow slits, windows or battlements that could ruin this plan?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach hastily armored up, strapping her shield to her less dominant but stronger hand. "Shall I send Wibbles ahead? To get a clear view? Or do we fear that that would alert them to our approach?"
    Though as an afterthought, Gaks added: "Though I could turn him invisible."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-05-15 at 08:51 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

"A quick overflight would be helpful. I doubt Wibbles would attract much attention, so I doubt the spell will be required. After that, we can decide is the circuitous route is needed.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded and woke up Wibbles, who was hanging upside down in her cloak. "Wibbles of the One Eye, we have need of your services. Perform a flyover above the walls, come back, and tell me what you see."
    The one-eyed bat chirped happily and flew over the keep walls and, hopefully, back.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

Freya

"I agree with using the east main gate. Large gap to get inside before archers attack," Freya says. "Distraction could be useful too."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Overflight
    Show

The courtyard is empty save for boulders and the massive skeletons of long-dead giants. The room on the north side is covered, but judging by its hatched top it's most likely a stable or similar animal pen.

The room adjacent to the tower, to the southwest, is also covered but this time with stone. There's a small hollowed hole in the ceiling which is, presumably where the smoke was coming from last night. You can't see much from your position above, unless you wish to risk getting closer.

The room to the southeast is the most interesting - any roof it had has crumbled leaving it open air despite its four walls. Sleeping in this room is a large winged beast. Its body resembles that of a lion, its wings a dragon, and its head somewhat humanoid head. It has long tail had a cluster of spikes that look exceedingly dangerous, and potentially fatal to Wibbles
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks called Wibbles back while she still could and nodded. "There's something incredibly dangerous in there. Wings of a dragon, body of a lion, almost human head. Ever heard of something like that?" she asked the party in general.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

"Strange; I expected a goblin outpost. Perhaps it is in charge? I would be concerned about anyone that could keep such a beast as a pet."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

"How dangerous could it be? Sounds like someone took the least dangerous parts of each animal."
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "There's something incredibly dangerous in there. Wings of a dragon, body of a lion, almost human head. Ever heard of something like that?"
    Freya scratches her head. "Nothing like that while sober, no."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus thinks carefully, and an old camp tale comes to mind, from an elderly hunter who had fought something similar.

"I think that you call this a manticore. We call it Dhelarhiss. It can fly, and it can shoot spiked from its tail, sometimes poisonous. It is not too bright, but smarter than a dog. It would be a dangerous foe, but I think I can take it down in an archery contest."