New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom 5e (IC)

With a plan of attack decided, you make your approach. You pass the gatehouse first - it's seen better days. The watchtowers to either side have partially collapsed and several large boulders lie strewn about without any sign of cleaning attempt. The decayed remains of two sets of large wooden gates lie in a heap on the ground. Passing through the splintered wood you enter the courtyard of hard-packed earth that has an eerie air of desolation. Jagged boulders embedded in the ground seem to have been dropped here, or thrown from a great distance. Many of the walls bear large dents and cracks where the boulders probably struck. Two massive skeletons lie at opposite ends of the courtyard, one propped up by the watchtower to your left, and the other sprawled at the far end by what you judge to be the stables or other animal pen.

As you step into the courtyard proper, you note a hole in the walls of the buildings to the southwest and the 'stables'. From your current angle, neither give you line of sight into the rooms proper. You can hear muffled foot shuffles to the southwest and the snoring of the manticore, but that's all for now.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

I hope the doors are clear on each part of the wall? One door to the stables immediately to your north, two doors to the manticore room - one south and one through the ruined watchtower, and one door into the "firepit" room immediately to the west.

Also I've got no idea how Aetus' token got rotated slightly but I'm not gonna fix it for now, I'll do it for the next map.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Surprised that we weren't stopped on our way in, Zuri is happy that we have this opportunity. She uses some of the well-practiced combat signs that Beorn and Aetus had taught her to suggest that we take out the Manticore silently and quickly. She wouldn't want to have to fight it at the same time as whatever else lives here. She waits for a reply from the others before getting in position to attack, knowing that most of the attack will be carried out by Aetus.

As the team prepares, she scans the room, including looking up to make sure nothing will surprise us from above.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I assume that the rotation to Aetus' picture is just a hint that someone should look up.

Perception: (1d20+4)[17]

3. - Top - End - #243
    Spamalot in the Playground

Freya

Freya studies one of the skeletons, ust to be sure it is just bones and not animated by foul magics.

Spoiler: Die roll
    Show
    Arcana or Investigation? Both have the same modifier: (1d20+3)[5]
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks sent Wibbles into the open door on the north wall, to make sure they really were in a deserted camp.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    The 15' sheer walls on the Manticore's 'room' show no real footholds or handholds that might offer an easy way to climb over. The hard ground means that most tracks are light and blended into each other, but you do note what looks like hooves in some. Nothing else stands out.

Spoiler: Skeletons
    Show
    From what you can tell, they're just skeletons. Ordinary, dead skeletons.

Spoiler: Wibbles
    Show
    The scent of animal gets stronger as Wibbles approaches the gap, and poking its tiny bat head round the corner it immediately spots two Worgs sleeping there in what look to have originally been stable pens for horses but repurposed for the enormous canines. One, seemingly confused by the new scent, sniffs the air somewhat, but stays asleep for now. Though Wibbles can't spot anything further from their current position, they do hear the sound of two more sleeping creatures further in - much smaller than the worgs though.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks dismissed and resummoned Wibbles rather than having him flap his wings back. Worgs, she mouthed to the others, and attempted to open her crippled hand enough to show two fingers, but gritted her teeth and instead blinked pointedly twice.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn whispers to the others, "we are exposed in the courtyard. If the manticore can fly, best not let it make use of that advantage. Aetus, check the door to the north, if it is clear we will have cover."

8. - Top - End - #248

Freya nods to Beorn and is ready to move to a better defensible spot.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus nods and very slowly and carefully scouts the door, going from shadow to shadow.

Show
    Stealth (1d20+7)[19]
    Perception (1d20+5)[11]

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

As Aetus pushes against the wooden door it creaks slightly, and for a moment it sounds like the occupants of the stables might wake up, but it passes just as quickly - presumably their sleep-addled minds puts it down to the wind. The floor of the stables has a thin layer of dry, moldering straw thrown across the floor. Immediately ahead of Aetus is a decrepit, dust-ckaed forge and a large mound of moldy straw. A battered table and four chairs sit in the middle of the room. To the west, four horse stalls divide up the remaining space, though two of these are now occupied by beds and sleeping goblins, alongside the two with worgs.

Show

They're all still asleep.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus approaches the worgs quietly. Counting silently to three for the rest to attack in the same time, he quickly sends three shaft with all the power he can muster into their necks.

Show
    Attacking and switching target if one is dead
    First attack (1d20+4)[22] or (1d20+4)[23] or (1d20+4)[20] dmg (1d8+14)[18] and (1d8)[6] for critical hit

Second attack (1d20+4)[9] or (1d20+4)[20] or (1d20+4)[19] dmg (1d8+14)[15] and (1d8)[4] for critical hit

Third
    First attack (1d20+4)[19] or (1d20+4)[24] or (1d20+4)[15] dmg (1d8+14)[15] and (1d8)[6] for critical hit

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks remained behind keeping an eye on the South Door, and once she heard the screams and arrows, she pulled a length of spiderweb from her pouch and layered the floor in front of the south door with a massive web in case there was an ambush incoming from that direction.

Show
    Layering Web across that 15x20 hallway that leads to two doors.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn moves to deliver a coup de grace to one of the sleeping goblins. Two swings of her flail ought to do the trick.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving up and attacking the right-most sleeping goblin.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[9] or (1d20+6)[12] for (1d8+3)[11]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[18] or (1d20+6)[24] for (1d8+3)[6]
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

14. - Top - End - #254

Freya

Freya draws her rapier and plunges the blade into the injured goblin's chest.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Attacking the injured goblin.

Attack: (1d20+5)[15] or (1d20+5)[24]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn does his part to dispatch whatever is left.
    Spoiler
    Show
    att1 (1d20+7)[15](1d20+7)[12] for (2d8+4)[16] damage
    att2 (1d20+7)[15](1d20+7)[16] for (2d8+4)[18] damage

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Sweet, princess-looking Zuri snarls with acid dripping from fangs that appear in her mouth. She growls as she dives in and bites the remaining goblin's neck, trying to rip its head from its body with her new fangs.

Show
    Primal savagery to hit: (1d20+7)[15] Advantage: (1d20+7)[23]

Damage w/Crit: (4d10)[24]

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

All four of your targets are dispatched in quick succession, bringing their sleep to a quick, brutal end. One of the worg survives its first hit long enough to howl in pain before its brought low. Whether it was the startled deathrattles of the slaughtered or the thickspun webs that now drape themselves across the south corridor, you hear muffled goblinoid yelling nearby, though you can't make out what's being said. You have precious little time to prepare for whatever's on the other side of those walls, because they seem to be keenly aware that they're under attack now.

Show

A turn of hostilities where neither side can see each other! Make sure you're keeping track of movement etc.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Gaakach sent Wibbles to look in the room she'd layered the web next to, flying over the web before coming back to her.

Show
    Does Wibbles see anything through the open door?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn takes up position in the double door to better see the courtyard. "They know we are here. Aetus, be ready to take any that show themselves. Everyone, we know the manticore is a threat; we don't know how many other goblins or others are in the tower. Stay sharp"
    Spoiler
    Show
    move 25 feet to just inside the double door, two attacks to Aetus in case it matters. Well, Aetus goes first, so 2 attacks NEXT turn I guess

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks nodded at the information as Wibbles returned to her and she moved in front of the door, shield raised ready to bottleneck them at the doorway. "There's two in here!" she shouted back over her shoulder at the others.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    "Stay sharp"
    "I have my rapier wit," Freya whispers, flourish her blade and then moving to backup Beorn at the door.

Spoiler: Movement
    Show
    So from where Freya's icon is on that map, she moves 1 square down, and 4 squares right.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2020-05-19 at 09:06 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

Wiping the blood form her chin, Zuri looks south out the western hole towards the door across the hallway, waiting for the figures to come out. She makes sure to leave room for Aetus since his bow will likely do most of the work.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus takes aim, readying his bow to shoot any that will come out of the door.

"We should take them out before the manticore comes. This is the only foe that worries me"

Show
    So, two attacks plus one for the 1st round from Underdark scout, presumably with advantage.

1st attack (1d20+4)[12] or (1d20+4)[11] or (1d20+4)[14] dmg (1d8+14)[20] add +2 if humanoid

2nd attack (1d20+4)[20] or (1d20+4)[12] or (1d20+4)[18] dmg (1d8+14)[22] add +2 if humanoid

3rd attack (1d20+4)[15] or (1d20+4)[22] or (1d20+4)[24] dmg (1d8+14)[20] add +2 if humanoid

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn wipes her brow after taking care of the goblins and looks around. "Alright mateys, good work. Next up, one ..." Her voice trails as she mentally counts each of the nearby faces. Noticing one person missing, she pokes her head back into the courtyard before seeing Gaks by one of the other doors and hearing her comment. The halfling woman scrambles to take a defensive stance next to her hobgoblin friend. "What, you jealous that none of the guts 'n glory makes it all the way to the back of the group where you usually sling your spells?" she teases, bracing herself for whatever will come through the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move adjacent to Gaks if possible, otherwise move to the square to the right of the left doorway.
    Ready Action to attack the first enemy goblinoid which comes within reach: (1d20+6)[13] for (1d8+3)[5]
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

There's a silent hum of anticipation in the air as both sides, unseen to the other, prepare for the tipping point. The tension is thick, palpable. You might find your lips dry as you ready yourselves. Then, Gaks and Roswyn hear just the quietest of murmurings, followed by an enormous explosion ripping through the keep. The webs that Gaks laid are aflame, all of them. Already they're wilting away into nothing. A shout of "Khruul!" rings out and the door in front of Gaks is torn open. An enormous hand stretches through to try to grab her, but one of Aetus arrows connects into the creature's hand. It lets out a roar of pain and stumbles back, revealing the hand is connected to a minotaur.

A hobgoblin quickly moves up to plug the hole and swings at Gaks, but is thrown off balance by Roswyn's flail. He manages to pull his shield up in time though, and neither manage to do any real damage to their targets. It does give the pair a moment to assess the true force size inside the room though - four hobgoblins, a bugbear and a minotaur. Two hobs are blocking the north door, while the remainder seem to be awaiting the webs burning away in full.

Any hope you had of the manticore sleeping through the combat was shattered by the fiery explosion. With beating wings that send dust flying with each flap, it half-flies half-climbs from its roost. Gaks and Roswyn can see it shout orders to the manticore through the webs. "Draaruun daan akorthaar!" It perches on the top of one of the ruined watchtowers and flings a trio of spikes, scattering across the courtyard. All three find their marks - Roswyn, Aetus and Beorn.

Show

The hobgoblins are equipped with chain mail, longswords, shields and longbows.
    Spellcaster isn't wearing armour that you can see and has a wand of some sort in one hand.
    The minotaur has a greataxe - and would have provoked opportunity attacks when it moved away.

Roswyn, Aetus and Beorn take 7, 8 and 10 piercing damage respectively. That dodge action saved Gaks from 16 longsword to the face.

Spoiler: Goblinoid
    Show

"Now!"
    "Destroy the intruders!"

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zuri

With Gaks and Roswynn holding off the garrison for now, Zuri decides her best contribution would be to tie up the Manticore for a while. We need to eliminate their air cover to gain the advantage. She steps out into the hallway, stopping behind the top boulder in the middle of the room (moves down two and right four squares) before dropping prone. She yells at Aetus,

"Help me take out the manticore before we face the garrison. We don't want it raining spikes down on us the whole fight."

She mutters a short prayer and 8 flying snakes appear between her and the manticore. She then creates a shimmering glow briefly covering all of the players and the snakes.

"Kill the beast! Protect my friends." she tells the snakes, pointing at the manticore.

The snakes fly at the manticore, attacking and harassing, but keeping their distance after their attacks, surrounding the manticore from about 15' away in all directions.

Show
    She summons 8 flying snakes, then uses her BA to create her bear totem to give the snakes and all of the players 10 temporary hit points.

1. AC14 15HP, Attack: (1d20+6)[9] Damage: (3d4+1)[10] (1 piercing and 3d4 poison)
    2. AC14 15HP, Attack: (1d20+6)[7] Damage: (3d4+1)[6]
    3. AC14 15HP, Attack: (1d20+6)[24] Damage: (3d4+1)[8]
    4. AC14 15HP, Attack: (1d20+6)[20] Damage: (3d4+1)[10]
    5. AC14 15HP, Attack: (1d20+6)[19] Damage: (3d4+1)[6]
    6. AC14 15HP, Attack: (1d20+6)[25] Damage: (3d4+1)[7]
    7. AC14 15HP, Attack: (1d20+6)[19] Damage: (3d4+1)[4]
    8. AC14 15HP, Attack: (1d20+6)[8] Damage: (3d4+1)[7]

They have flyby so they move out of melee range after they attack.

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Flying Snake
    Tiny beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 14
    Hit Points 5 (2d4)
    Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft., swim 30 ft.
    STR
    4 (-3) DEX
    18 (+4) CON
    11 (+0) INT
    2 (-4) WIS
    12 (+1) CHA
    5 (-3)
    Senses Blindsight 10 Ft., passive Perception 11
    Challenge 1/8 (25 XP)
    Flyby. The snake doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
    Actions
    Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) piercing damage plus (3d4)poison damage.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Beorn grimaces as he takes the hit. Regardless, he moves up to support those holding the door, though the rocky courtyard offers little cover from the air. "Aetus, take it down."
    Spoiler
    Show
    move 25' to right in the middle of the three rocks
    Bonus action rallying mark, first hit on the manticore does +1d6 damage and heals the attacker the same amount
    Actions- +2 attacks to Aetus

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Gaks was briefly taken aback by the level of force within, but her eyes noted the dimensions of the room and she smiled. Her crippled hand withdrew from her pouch a crystal vial filled with a phosphorescent material. She conjured hypnotic lights that dazzled at the eyes of every creature in the room she was looking into. "Mukhuukhen hakhaar!" Gaks declared. She then turned to Roswyn. "Don't hit the hypnotized ones." But Ros knew this, so Gaks was just being a worrier.

Show
    Hypnotic Pattern on every hostile but the Manticore. They need to add their WIS save bonus to the following rolls:
    Hobgoblins (in order of left-to-right, top-to-bottom)
    A: (1d20)[9]
    B: (1d20)[15]
    C: (1d20)[17]
    D: (1d20)[6]
    Spellcaster: (1d20)[14]
    Minotaur: (1d20)[1]

Edit: on failure they are charmed by me, while charmed they are incapacitated and their movement becomes 0.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-05-20 at 10:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Aetus

Aetus nods and turns his bow to the manticore.

"Grad. Huruth. Shalmader? Shalk. Derash!"

Each word is punctuated with an arrow sent flying with the bow at maximum tension

Spoiler: OOC translation from Goblin to common
    Show
    "Want to play arrow-games? This is how it is done."

Spoiler: OOC Attacks
    Show
    Casting Hunter's Mark as BA

1st attack (1d20+4)[10] dmg (1d8+14)[17] and (1d6)[6]
    2nd attack (1d20+4)[17] dmg (1d8+14)[21] and (1d6)[5]
    3rd attack (1d20+4)[7] dmg (1d8+14)[15] and (1d6)[6]
    4th attack (1d20+4)[12] dmg (1d8+14)[19] and (1d6)[6]

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Roswyn nods curtly at the hobgoblin's suggestion, despite the familiarity of how that particular brand of magic worked. She hooks her flail back into her belt for a moment, drawing and throwing two javelins at the manticore. "Let's see how you like being turned into a pincushion," she jeers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[24] for (1d6+3)[7]
    Extra Attack: (1d20+6)[7] for (1d6+3)[8]