New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Captain Spatha's Solo Adventure [IC]

You dismount from the caravan you came into Oakenleaf on. The merchant who you were traveling with thanks you for your time and help, giving you the agreed-upon coin, though he does comment "Given the easy ride, maybe you should be paying me! Heh. Good luck, with whatever you're here to do."

Following that, you head into town. You've chosen the quiet, sleepy village because of the barrows it's built near. Supposedly the resting place of a famed hero, you've received visions indicating that not all is well in the tomb. Now would be the time to investigate, to see what troubles have been besetting the villagers.

What will you do?

OOC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-04-15 at 06:11 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Captain Spatha's Solo Adventure [IC]

Spatha adjusted his backpack and nodded at the caravan leader: "Thank you for your kind words. Having no need for my services on your travel is a very valuable service in and of itself. May you find similar experience on your further travels without my presence to deter would be bandits."
    The words were delivered in a curious metalic sounding cadence that nonetheless was quite melodic.
    Spatha still wore his old military tunic and made sure both his beret as well as the uniform sat as regulation demanded.
    Turning slowly around, he scanned the place for the local tavern. Not needing sustenance himself, Spatha nonetheless appreciated them as a way to get acquainted to the peculiarities of a given location. Once there it would just be a matter of time until he would be able to learn more about the barrows...

3. - Top - End - #3

The tavern is easy to locate. Inside, it's mostly quiet. There's a young woman, maybe 20, sitting in the corner with a drink. She's dressed with an apron, but it's clearly not busy enough tow arrant her active work. Behind the counter is a much older woman, though the two look similar-probably mother and daughter-who waves at you as you enter. "Haven't seen you before, stranger. What brings you here?"

The only other occupants are a tall human man with broad shoulders and what seems like his half-elf son, also built quite large. They're deep in conversation, not noticing your entrance.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Having assessed the situation, Spatha nodded towards the woman and stepped closer to the bar:
    "Greetings. I have just arrived with the caravan and I am in need of guidance." He produced two silver coins and pushed them across.
    "Is there a place where I can get lodgings around here? Also, I heard rumors about "activities" concerning the barrow mounds around here. Do you know something about that?"

5. - Top - End - #5

She looks at the moment, then at you. "If you're not buying food or drink, you don't have to pay. Gossip's free. As for the barrows... Michael!" she calls over to the big human. "You might want to talk to... Erm... I'm sorry, I didn't get your name. I'm Minerva Xeres. That over there is-"

"Michael Carpenter," the big man says as he walks over, bringing his son in tow. "And this is my son, Daniel." Daniel waves hello as Michael talks more, saying "You wanted to look at the barrows? What for?"

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Spatha smartly saluted: "Captain Spatha, retired of his Majesty's service. Keep the coins - you provide a valuable service here and I wish you to be able to continue so."
    He turned to the Carpenters: "Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am here as a Paladin of my Lady, but unfortunately my intelligence about what is going on here is limited to suspicions of necromantic activities. I intend to find out if and what is going on - and if necessary to put an end to it.
    Can I count on your support, citizen?"

7. - Top - End - #7

Minerva shrugs, and takes the coins. "Much appreciated, Captain."

Michael nods. He gingerly sets himself into a seat, and you can see that he's clearly dealing with old injuries. "I can't fight anymore, but I can damn well work towards keeping my home safe."

Helping his dad get into the seat better, Daniel nods too. "We aren't going to stand by while something nasty happens."

"Now, that tomb should be one of the safest places in Oakenleaf. Shiro's tomb is supposed to be guarded by the spirits who have served with him," Michael says, "as well as Shiro's spirit himself, should it come to that. So I'm doubtful that it's something directly evil-more likely, we'd be dealing with something a little more insidious. I can personally vouch for everyone in this village, barring you of course, as uninvolved with it. And, given that you came here to stop it, I'd wager you're not a ne'er-do-well either. That being said, I haven't visited his tomb in... Eleven months, I think. I check on it at least once a year, on his birthday, but life's been too busy to check it more often this year. Daniel, I know we were talking about you leaving home, but right now, we do need you."

Daniel seems a little nonplussed at that, but nods again. "I get it. Besides-if I left now, knowing you guys might get hurt... I'd never be able to sleep. And if anything actually happened!"

"I know. But we'll be safe. I'd like you to take the Captain here to the barrows, show him where everything is, and make sure everything is good," Michael instructs. "Take something to defend yourself too. Just in case."

"Alright. Will do-I'll meet you on the eastern edge of the village, okay, Mr. Spatha?" Daniel says.

Michael corrects him. "Captain Spatha."

"Right, sorry-Captain Spatha."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I got work real soon, so I won't be able to update for about 5-6 hours.

When I'm back and ready to resume, should we just skip forward to the trip to the barrows?

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Don't worry, it's a good start to get a few posts in rapidly, but I don't expect more than one post per day - anything above is a bonus. I'm UTC +1 and will post mostly during the evening

Spatha nodded: "I appreciate your help. Mr. Carpenter, I'll make sure your son savely returns."

At the agreed upon time and place, Spatha met Daniel and followed him. During the walk he said:
    "I don't expect you to follow me inside, but should you insist on doing so, I expect you to follow my orders and retreat if I command you to."

9. - Top - End - #9

Daniel arrives, dressed in a chain shirt and with a shield and warhammer strapped to his side. "Understood, sir," he replies. "But I trained with the best Oakenleaf has to offer. Which... Okay, admittedly, that probably doesn't SOUND like much, but my dad was a Knight before his injuries forced him to retire. So it's better than you'd think, for a village this size. Um, anyway," he says, "let's get going to Shiro's tomb."

The trek takes about half an hour. It's a ways away, built into a hillside. Outside is a small memorial-a simple stone engraved with Here lies a man who served for the betterment of all. Inside is not yet visible, as there's a solid stone door in the way. It doesn't appear to be locked, and appears to be fine dwarven craftsmanship.

Show
    Before you open the following spoilers, choose whether to use Passive or Active rolls. If you choose Active, roll a skill check. If you use Passive, use 10+Skill modifier. Do NOT use both.

And note that there will be higher DCs within the spoilers.

Spoiler: Perception DC 8
    Show
    The engraved stone has moss growing on it. Hasn't been moved in quite a while.

Spoiler: DC 12
    Show
    There's a faint path, starting to get overgrown, leading from town. It's not what you and Daniel have been on-probably takes a different route than his dad.

Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    Although, you do recall a slight divergence in the path spotted earlier. Leading AWAY from town.

Spoiler: DC 22
    Show
    The door to the barrow has been opened recently. You can tell from the marks on and around it.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception check
    Show

(1d20)[20]+2

Spatha nodded: "Very well, in that case I'm glad to receive your support."

He scrutinized their surroundings and the door: "There has been someone here, opening the door recently. Do you know where this second path here leads? Maybe someone is camping outside of town.
    We'll investigate later. For now, please light a torch and keep it aloft two steps behind me."

With that, Spatha pulled open the door, his shield ready, drawing his sword with the other.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-04-14 at 02:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Show
    Damn. Did not expect that Nat 20. :P

Daniel nods. "No one from the village has been here for... Well, my dad's the only one who visits usually, and he says eleven months. So eleven months." He pulls a small, gold-tipped stick from his pack, and strikes the end against a hard surface. It begins to emit a healthy and quite bright glow. "Sunrod-Clarissa makes them, and we've got some stocked up."

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"Very good. Onward."
    With the boy lighting the way and his shield raised, Spatha led the way into the Barrow, watching out for signs of movement and - of course - traps that his guide might have forgotten to mention.
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't worry, my luck usually doesn't last ;)
    But just in case it is necessary:
    Perception: (1d20)[3]+2

13. - Top - End - #13

You head into the barrows. It begins with a hall, winding its way downward, eventually ending in a large stone room, full of coffins and shelves for the bodies. There's a few half-melted candles near the most prominent coffin-presumably Shiro's-as well as a few crumpled bits of parchment.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"Stay by the door."
    Spatha carefully moved closer to the coffin, he assumed contain the mortal remains of the hero and bent down to pick up the parchments to see what was written on them.

15. - Top - End - #15

The parchment is only half-full of writing, and all of it is in a language you don't understand.

Spoiler: Intelligence DC 11
    Show
    You can at least tell it's Gnomish writing, even if you can't translate it.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[8]+0

Spatha took a close look at the parchment scraps, but couldn't make heads or tails of it.
    Slowly he walked back to the boy: "Mr. Carpenter, can you make something of this script? I'm not familiar with this kind of writing."
    Spatha walked slowly back towards the coffin and searched carefully for signs of tampering as well as ritual magics.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-04-16 at 03:05 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

The coffins seem pretty well in order. While the dust and lack thereof in some spots indicates someone likely leaned or sat on some, they seem undisturbed save for that.

Spoiler: Int Check
    Show
    (1d20+1)[8]
    (1d20+1)[8] Advantage for familiarity.

"It looks... Familiar, kinda? I've seen this kind of writing before, but I can't place my finger on where. I'm pretty sure someone in Oakenleaf writes like this, though," he says. "But it's not any handwriting I recognize-just the language."
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-04-16 at 11:04 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"Alright. Other than that, everything seems to be in order here. Let's go back to town and try to find someone who can translate this."
    With another ponderous look, Spatha turned to go outside again. For a moment he thought about following the second path, but without knowing what to look out for, he deems it better to first have those papers identified. Starting at the bar, he intends to ask next at the mayor's and then at the nearest temple.

19. - Top - End - #19

At the bar, Minerva's able to tell you that it's written in Gnomish-Clarissa MacDougall, a tinkerer, knows the language well, being a gnome. She offers Daniel a drink, which he turns down, saying "The captain's probably gonna need more help. I'll take some water, Mrs. Xeres, but nothing that'll cloud my judgement."

You head for Clarissa's home, a small ways from the village center, and knock on the door. "Just a minute!" she calls from within. You hear some small pops, and then nothing. A few moments pass, and the door opens, revealing a tall (for a gnome) woman, goggles pushed up on her head. "Oh! This is... Unexpected. But hello! I don't believe we've met."

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Spatha gives the gnome a stiff greeting: "Captain Spatha, former Member of his Majesty's armed forces, now in service of the Lady investigating local undead activities.
    Pleased to meet you. If I understand correctly, you are the producer of these very useful sunrods?
    Earlier today Daniel and I investigated the Hero's Tomb and found signs of entry there. These documents were also left behind. Do you recognize them and what's written on them?"

Spatha did refrain from accusing the woman, but his piercing gaze was nonetheless hefted at the gnome woman's face to search for signs of guilt or recognition.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[8]+0 Insight

21. - Top - End - #21

Clarissa takes the paper, and starts to read it. "Hm..." she says. "Nothing worth translating here and now-it's formula. Along with a few notes-generally stuff that seems like hero worship. Seems like whoever wrote this wants to... Well, I'm not entirely sure. I'll translate this into common for you, if you'd like, but I don't think anyone here in Oakenleaf can make proper sense of it. I'm sorry."

Spoiler: Insight
    Show
    She seems 100% honest with you.

"If you need any more sunrods or anything else, let me know. I keep some around to entertain the kids, though a lot of them have grown up nicely now. Good luck, Captain!" she says.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

"I'd like to buy a sun rod then. I'll be back for the translation tomorrow."
    Having secured the sunrod, Spatha went outside with Daniel and looked at the sky: "We still have some sunlight left. I'd like to follow the second path we saw and see if there is anything amiss. If that doesn't work out, I'll camp next to the barrow and wait for someone to come by."
    With that said, Spatha wasted no time to execute his plan.

23. - Top - End - #23

You take Daniel and head for the path. It's a little tricky to follow, but with Daniel's help, nothing you can't handle. In time, you come to an open clearing, with a tent recessed into the side of it. There's a circle of stones surrounding some charcoals, but no one seems to be there.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Finding his suspicions proven right, Spatha walks directly towards the tent, to take a closer look, but not without glancing around for traps - after all, who would leave his campsite unguarded if they seem to be able to use rituals.
    "Anybody at home?" Spatha calls out, preparing himself to open the tent should no-one come forth
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-04-17 at 03:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

In case of traps:
    Perception (1d20)[4]+2

26. - Top - End - #26

You do not see any traps.

Opening the tent, you see about what you'd expect. A bedroll, a backpack, and a few scraps of parchment.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Without hesitation, Spatha picked up the scraps to see if they fit the ones lying around in the barrow.
    "Keep watch, I'm taking a closer look."
    With that, Spatha opened the backpack, sorting through the contents to learn something about the identity of this mystery camper.

28. - Top - End - #28

There's a large amount of parchment and other writing supplies, as well as more ordinary things like dried meats, a bit of rope, and other basic necessities for traveling. There is not, however, anything especially suspicious.

Show
    The campsite lacks any valuable information for the moment. Gathering more info will require more than this.

A couple of ideas Spatha would certainly know.

-Lay an ambush for the suspect here at their campsite
    -Investigate the tomb now, where they presumably are
    -Send Daniel in (either to the tomb, or waiting for her here) as a representative of Oakenleaf and a less alarming figure than a warforged captain

So let me know your course of action, and we'll skip to it. (And, of course, if you have other ideas than what I listed, you can do that too! Don't feel restricted by me-those are just suggestions.)

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Spatha put everything back from where he had taken it and left the tent.
    "Daniel, I'll be staying up at the barrow. For now go back to town to fetch a tent and bedroll for yourself and set it up out of sight there. Should I need assistance, I'll call out for you. While you are in town you can ask Clarissa if she has finished the translation."

With that, Spatha left the campsite to get comfortable waiting outside the barrow.

30. - Top - End - #30

Daniel asks "You sure? You want to go alone?" but, when you make clear that you're confident in your abilities, he agrees and sets up.

You head for the barrows, as silently as possible (just in case) and find a good spot to lurk in for a while. It takes some three hours before anything eventful happens, whereupon a young gnomish woman exits the barrows. She's carrying a backpack overflowing with parchment, a lot of which has writing on it.

She does not seem to see you.

Show
    Show

Show