New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default help with wizard/ wizard impersonator gestalt build

For an NPC build and i want to do a full build because i don't like DM fiat. anything they see someone do, they should be able to do too.
    and i want to make him gestalt because i want him to be effect at both.

the idea i have is to have a Heir of Siberys with charlatan and other classes that imitate spell casting without any magic on one side and ultimate magus on the other (i've homebrewed that any class with 10 or level and a set pattern can be taken beyond 10)

his background is that as siberys marked member of house vadalis, he has always been given special privileges and was sent to The Twelve, a school of magic where he proved very talented and also made friends with the son of a minor noble from thrane (and anyone familiar where eberron knows how much a minor noble in thrane is worth) who has the excel simply to keep his place at the school, while it doesn't matter what he does, so he vowed to graduate the school without using real magic to spite them.

the point of him is a little fun for me, the characters meet what appears to be a mighty wizard, discover he is a fake, see him pushed him too hard and find out that he is as good as he pretends to be, potentially the hard way.

the practical point of him is that while studying he discovered and became somewhat enamoured the writings of the wizard-priest Jezule the driving force of the Mud Sorcerers of the Mud Sorcerer's tomb adventure module and acts as a potential plot hook for it cause i want to run them through it when they get to a high enough level.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: help with wizard/ wizard impersonator gestalt build

Quote Originally Posted by Noxangelo View Post
    the point of him is a little fun for me, the characters meet what appears to be a mighty wizard, discover he is a fake, see him pushed him too hard and find out that he is as good as he pretends to be, potentially the hard way.
    That would be settled by RP'ing, not by the build.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    That would be settled by RP'ing, not by the build.
    he needs the tools to pull it off though. my advise? abuse the hell out of UMD. avoid using your spell slots whenever you have another effective solution to a problem. you become effectively a double bluff, and those who know your reputation will not know what to make of you. and then when the chips are down rain fire from the sky. or just dominate monster or something.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

thanks, i'm even hoping to avoid UMD but there aren't many other good options.

so factotum15/charlatan5?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

That sounds good, forgot factotum was a thing. also factotum has some huge buffs to how effective their magic is, then when gestalted with an actual spell caster, probably breaks the game in half (extra turns, ignoring SR, etc.)
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

since the goal is to do as little actual spellcasting as possible, the factotum gestalt shouldn't be issue. and he should be an ally anyway, with all the deathtrap dungeons i'll be throwing at them, they'll need as many as they can get.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    he needs the tools to pull it off though. my advise? abuse the hell out of UMD. avoid using your spell slots whenever you have another effective solution to a problem. you become effectively a double bluff, and those who know your reputation will not know what to make of you. and then when the chips are down rain fire from the sky. or just dominate monster or something.
    Spellfire can imitate spellcasting...