I hate this.
    Spoiler: rolling again
    Show
    (3d4+3)[10]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

Cederick fires another shot at the closest spirit and then dissapears into the forest again.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Standard action attack the closest spirit, move action back in the forest,

Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[23]
    Miss Chance: Success if >50 (1d100)[17]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[13]
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Niobaran View Post
    Niala

Seeing the spirits attacking from the air, she assumes that she can move along the ground in relative freedom. She hops on her cats back, and guides her towards Cederick. Once she reaches him, she casts cure light wounds on him.

Show

I had no idea what to do, so I decided for healing the one with the least hit point percentage.
    [roll0]
    As I'm not quite sure how many actions it takes me to get there (I think I get on the cat as a move action, the cat can move on her own the way. But then I probably can't take my standard action thereafter? Mounted combat is always confusing). If I turn out to have a standard action left, I'll use my pearl of power to re-memorize the CLW.
    OOC: Niala doesn't even need to jump on her cat (although she can), Cederick has moved back to the edge of the broken road and is only 10' from her. So she can move, cast, and in the following round use her pearl of power.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

4. - Top - End - #124

OrcBarbarianGuy

Although Cederick’s bolt had no effect, both Ignasio and Karan struck true and the respective spirits dissipated like popped bubbles. Niala cast her healing magic on Cederick, getting some relief from the radiant burns he had suffered.

The jungle fell quiet again, except for the single monkey corpse that writhed feebly on the ground like a chick trying to break out of its shell.

Pisco emerged from where he was crouched next to the wagon. “Ai, never have I seen such things. The nature spirits seem not to appreciate our journey to Madaro-Shanti.”

Show

All 5 of the spirits that emerged from the monkey corpses have been defeated, leaving you to decide what to do the one still trapped in its “shell”

Health Status:
    PCs:
    Cederick 57%
    Alan 79%
    Ignasio 83%
    Karan 87%
    Niala’s Cat 91%
    Thorik 98%
    Niala 96%

NPCs:
    Mazaro (porter 2) 50%
    Henneki 50%
    All others 100%
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2020-06-21 at 11:46 AM.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Alan looked at their guide, "So these are unknown to you? Why do you assume them to be nature spirits and not some sort of side effect of the cloud we are dealing with? Undead and dark magic often go together after all. I admit I was hoping to deal with more grounded foes then this however, my talents were very unsuited to the situation. Thankfully it seems some of us are a bit more adept at this sort of thing" And Ignacio is some kind of magic user as well... though I would hazard a guess that his talents are a bit more standard then Cedrics...

He tries to pat some of the dust from the fight off his clothes, "Regardless we shall have to come up with a more solid plan for the future, I doubt that is the only time we will run into such foes, especially if they are associated with current events."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+12)[25] Spellcraft on Ignacio's Magic Missle

6. - Top - End - #126

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ma’, I have not seen their like before, never. But I think they are due to the nature spirits and the muyal kaxan. The nature spirits, Toncho, Cho-Oda, and Magalo Hiti, have been in turmoil since before the dark clouds, speaking rumors about their brother Cho-Oda and the disease that afflicts him. The shamans beseech them each day to turn away the darkness, but they remain silent.”

He mopped his brow and turned to give commands to the drivers, porters, and guards to get ready for the caravan to move out again before continuing. “And also this:” he said, “Cho-Oda’s spirit animal is the monkey. These corpses are an evil sign.” He looked distastefully at the spire monkey writhing weakly on the ground. “What do we do with that?”

Show

Also, just to clarify, neither the monkey bodies nor the spirits were undead, so attempting to turn them wouldn’t have been successful. The monkey corpses did not have an animating spirit of their own like an undead being, instead they were animated by the radiant spirits who wear them like suits of armor, so the monkey corpses would be classified as animated objects and the radiant spirits are outsiders.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Cederick wipes of anything that attached to him from running in and out of the foliage before grabbing his cane again and joining the others.

In a bit of a grandiose tone Cederick says "I say we take it with us" as reply to pisco "afterall, we are scholars, are we not?" and he gives a quick sharp look towards Alan.

He then continuous normally.
    "The two things we've learned from our little altercation with the spirits and the spidermonkeys is the fact that the spirits only come out when monkey dies and that the monkey is a whole lot easier to deal with. Surely one of our number knows how to tie a decent knot such that our simian friend will pose no danger to us when he does eventually regain consciousness. Not only would this prevent the appearance of yet another spirit but if there is enough room in one of the carts we could take it with us and hopefully learn valuable information about what is to come."

He then addresses Alan's concern

"With regards to a plan to deal with further such foes, until we learn more about these spirits it seems to me we only really have one option. Avoid killing when possible to prevent any potential spirit from escaping. If we cannot be certain is something that ambushes us is possessed or not we should focus our effort on finding out. If we know what we're dealing with it becomes a lot easier to prevent a situation like this one"

he then points his cane at the still unconscious body

"Hence my earlier suggestion we take that with us. Our biggest problem right now is a lack of information and only through study do we learn!"

Show
    I wonder if I know anything about these nature spirits. I'm assuming that would be knowledge religion
    Knowledge (Religion): (1d20+16)[20]

Play-by-Post Characters:

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thorik surveys the group as he wipes any pieces of monkey corpse off of his axe.

"Well, that could have been worse. Everyone ok?
    This must be what the shaman warned me about, monkeys with two souls. Too bad he didn't see fit to tell me what to do about them."

After listening to Pisco and the others, he continues...

"So you want me to hit 'em with the flat side of the axe? Not a usual trick, but could be worth a try, as the monkeys did seem easier than the spirits.
    As for that one, I'm not much for tying knots in ropes, but I could probably knock it out, if anyone else can tie it up?

9. - Top - End - #129

Niala

The little gnome looks not very happy with the solution. "Capturing spirits does not bode well, but then again, I agree that we need to learn. What I am wondering is whether taking this one with us, as defenseless as it appears, brings other spirits forward trying to free the prisoner, or this one if freed, take their revenge on us." She shrugs. "We could also leave the creature be for now. But of course, it could follow us. Yet I wonder whether we should focus on spirits befalling animal corpses, and not rather on teh thing that causes animals to die in the first place."

Show
    I'm open to both taking or leaving, and Niala can live with both.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ignasio busied himself checking his wounds, it stung and burned but the tears in his shirt hurt the most. Good thing he had his clothing repair kit with him. He joined the others, brushing off unseen speckles of dust from his shoulders and looked with mild interest at the unconscious monkey lying on the floor. "Study? This ? really?" he shrugged with disinterest. Then his eyes suddenly lighted "You know, this reminds me of the story of my great great great aunt of third degree, Madam Joselin de'arman. She was possessed by demons one time. It is said she could spit fire, eat nails and reach the back of her ears with her legs! She was mostly harmless except for the time she almost burnt down the mansion while being drunk, I wander…." And he found himself again lost in thoughts, wandering if the same thing happen to the monkey "Interesting though" he mentioned "The spirit thing is indeed weird, but is it common for monkeys here to have two heads? That cannot be the work of a demon, can it?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

"Yes,scholarship must come first. I think after some time to examine them, and think through the effects of our various attacks I do believe it might not be terribly useful to study further, these would seem to be radiant spirits attracted by the local spike in animal fatalities. If we leave it tied up, the possessing spirit will be forced to return back to its home plane leaving behind the inhabited corpse."

Yes that sounded appropriately scholastic, it had been a long time since he had attended a more traditional academic environment before the darkness had lured him away

"If we knew when the possession started it would be interesting to see if the local magical anomaly had an affect on the stability of the bond. Sadly without a start point we are unable to measure the full duration anyways. Though I suppose if the dark cloud is specifically interacting with the plane of radiance the possession might be indefinite, though that seems highly unlikely considering the associated properties of the event. As for the amount of craniums per monkey, I admit I am not versed in the local fauna, perhaps one of the locals knows better."
    Last edited by Stepfan; 2020-06-28 at 04:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"You think so too, do you?" Cederick says in reply to Alan "My initial assessment made while fighting these things was that they'd either be from the plane of positive energy or the plane of radiance. In the heat of battle I did not feel I could narrow it down further. I must disagree however with your assertion that further study would be futile. If it is true that the spirit cannot remain on our plane for an infinite stay without 'hatching' from the body it used to get here, then valuable intelligence could be learned from testing just how long this possession might last. You are absolutely right that without knowing when it took control we cannot determine with absolute certainty how long it can stay inside this body. This fact alone however does not mean we cannot learn anything from further study. Determining an absolute minimum for how long such a possession lasts could be helpful in situations where running away from the possessed until the spirit is forced to leave is a better solution than taking the risk that hatch more of these. To name but an example of course."

Cederick also listens to what the rest of the group had to say. He had hoped that the third arcanist of the group would also have some valuable insight, but after he started talking about his aunt, Cederick just zoned him out...

"It might indeed be useful if we could determine what killed these monkeys before the spirits took over. However, I fear that our own assault on the beast have made establishing the prior cause of death difficult, and it is already not exactly my expertise. But maybe somebody who knows what dwells in these parts better than I do could shed some light on that?"

He then started crouching in front of the writhing monkey "Given that our current hypothesis is that these spirits possess corpses and not living beings, it seems pointless to wait for a second soul to awake that has almost certainly already passed on" he then cast a spell and started focus on the spirit trapped inside

Show
    Casting "Detect Thoughts". These spirits appear to have an individual intelligence which would mean that they have thoughts that can hopefully tell us more. If I do detect an intelligence in it, it gets a saving throw (Will, DC 15). If it fails that, I can read its thoughts. If it succeeds, at the very least I know it's somewhat intelligent. If I don't detect anything, not even a conscious, that be considered informative in and of itself.

If the spirit trapped in the monkey does fail its saving throw, Jacob my familiar should notice through our empathic link that I got in and he will then start asking questions in the hope that the answers to the questions become surface thoughts (though there is always a chance it doesn't speak common, but you gotta take risks sometimes.).

Play-by-Post Characters:

13. - Top - End - #133

OrcBarbarianGuy

OOC: Blah! I thought I had already posted this, but obviously failed. Sorry, it has been sitting here two days.

IC:
    Having secured the inhabited spire monkeywith a bundle of rope, the animated corpse was placed in the back of the wagonwhere Pisco looked at it askance and Donnal and Minnee, the young teamsters,looked terrified. “No, not demons,” Pisco said in response to Ignasio. “Spiremonkeys all have six arms and two heads. It is said they can see both the pastand the future, but I’ve never seen them do either; all they can really do issteal whatever is not tied down.” He shrugged, distaste evident on his face.

Cederick and Alan examined the boundcreature, with the former casting a spell over it. It appeared to work, as thecreature thrashed a bit more energetically, but could not free itself from itsbonds.

The warlock was able to get a quick read ontwo basic desires: escape, and…”burn”, though burn was not quite the rightterm. It was more along the lines of pouring energy into everything to see it“light up”.

Show
    Oh, the radiant spirit fails thesave with a 13, so Cederick is in.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

While Cederick seems deep in thought, his familiar appears to pick up on something "IT THINKS!" he proclaims outloud. Jacob leaps of Cederick's shoulder and starts flying around the spirit trapped inside the spiremonkey.

"WHERE DO YOU COME FROM" the parrot said while circling around the spiremonkey.
    "HOW DID YOU GET HERE" he said after another circle.
    "HOW MANY OF YOU ARE THERE?".

The hope is that when probing for information the answers become top of mind even if you're trying to desperatly hide the truth, though when dealing with spirits you never know how well it works.

Show
    Normally with such a tactic you'd only ask one question just to gage the reaction. Does he start thinking about the answer to the question, is the question properly phrased, things like that. Cederick can concentrate on the spell for 5 minutes and Jacob knows through the empathic link if the line of questioning is working (even if he doesn't know the answer himself). This gives some time for a nice interocation to happen of anything that fails the will save. In PBP of course you don't really get far if you ask just one question and wait for a response, so instead I asked three just to see how it goes.

I'll try to do is as quickly as possible though so that we can move on the group activities

Play-by-Post Characters:

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

“Spiremonkeys all have six arms and two heads. It is said they can see both the pastand the future, but I’ve never seen them do either; all they can really do issteal whatever is not tied down.”

"Oh, so this is ......normal?" Ignasio's interest risen and he stepped closer to see the interrogation in progress "So any of those spiral monkeys are perfectly normal usually, and all have two heads" a multitude of options and opportunities flooded his mind " Are they considered sacred or special in any way or is it just another perfectly normal local species? Can they be tamed? Do you think I can take one with me back home? that would be the talk of the town for quite a while!"

16. - Top - End - #136

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Koral View Post
    “Spiremonkeys all have six arms and two heads. It is said they can see both the pastand the future, but I’ve never seen them do either; all they can really do issteal whatever is not tied down.”

"Oh, so this is ......normal?" Ignasio's interest risen and he stepped closer to see the interrogation in progress "So any of those spiral monkeys are perfectly normal usually, and all have two heads" a multitude of options and opportunities flooded his mind " Are they considered sacred or special in any way or is it just another perfectly normal local species? Can they be tamed? Do you think I can take one with me back home? that would be the talk of the town for quite a while!"
    "Yes, yes, all have the two heads and the six arms," Pisco replied. "As I said, spire monkeys are the spirit animal--you might say totem animal--of the nature spirit Cho-Oda. They can often be found in places sacred to him. As to taming them...I have seen shamans who raised young ones, so I think perhaps it is so, if you find a young one."

17. - Top - End - #137

OrcBarbarianGuy

"WHERE DO YOU COME FROM" the parrot said while circling around the spire monkey.
    “The place of light without heat, burning without fire, light without dark,” the spirit answered.

"HOW DID YOU GET HERE" he said after another circle.
    “The dead ones call to us, call, call. The spirit invites us, across the boundary that fails. We come, we burn without fire,” it said with an evil glee.

"HOW MANY OF YOU ARE THERE?".
    “More than the points of light in your dark sky.”

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

As Jacob flew by Cederick after each question he was picking up good responses, this spirit were more than willing to think about the answers. Though only one more question popped into the parrot's head "HOW LONG CAN YOU STAY ON THIS PLANE?" squawked the macaw.

Play-by-Post Characters:

19. - Top - End - #139

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    As Jacob flew by Cederick after each question he was picking up good responses, this spirit were more than willing to think about the answers. Though only one more question popped into the parrot's head "HOW LONG CAN YOU STAY ON THIS PLANE?" squawked the macaw.
    The spirit giggled, a biting, infuriating giggle. "Once we hatch, forever."

20. - Top - End - #140

OrcBarbarianGuy

With the spire monkeys and their inhabitingspirits taken care of, the caravan creaked back into motion, trundling over thebroken roadway with the single surviving monkey securely tied up in the back ofthe wagon. The drivers glanced warily over their shoulders as the creaturethrashed around amongst the supplies and water barrels, but the rope remainedsecure around its many arms.

The afternoon heat began to build as the groupcontinued on. Sweat beaded everyone’s faces, while those in the heaviest armorsfelt rivulets of perspiration snake uncomfortably down their torsos. Almost everyone in the partywas nursing wounds of various degrees, including the guard Henneki, but despitehis being amongst the most severe, he stumped along with a faint, satisfiedsmile on his face as he used the butt of his spear to support the weight of hisinjured thigh.

The severely reduced presence of animals becameapparent even to those unfamiliar with the jungle. A creepy stillness set in, withalmost no bird calls or movement under the thick canopy. Here and there, theparty also began to notice the tell-tale signs of the black cloud’s effect onthe flora, with plant leaves curling, ashen, or flecked with black spots. Finally, thehumidity and stillness reached a breaking point and rain began to fall, drummingthe broad leaves overhead at first but eventually turning into a downpour thatpenetrated even the heavy canopy and soaked the party. The group could do littlebut crouch down and wait for the rains to pass, which the did after half anhour, clearing the humidity from the air somewhat.

It was after this that Ignasio, who had waitedout the rains at the rear of the wagon, noticed that the spire monkey hadceased all struggles and appeared to be nothing more than an un-animated corpseonce again. It seemed that the radiant spirit had departed.

The party encountered no further resistanceas it fought its way through the jungle throughout the remainder of the day.With sunset coming on within the hour, Pisco found a site where the jungle didn’tcrowd the old road so closely, affording better views all around in caseanything approached. An old firepit with several decomposing logs set around itfor seats was apparent, evidence that the guide had used this site in his travelsbefore.

Show
    You reach the night’s campingspot unmolested, with the radiant spirit apparently departed. Let me know howyou want to set up camp and watches for the night, etc. Obviously Pisco and therest of the group can be asked questions if desired.
    Show

Health Status:
    PCs:
    Cederick 57%
    Alan 79%
    Ignasio 83%
    Karan 87%
    Niala’s Cat 91%
    Thorik 98%
    Niala 96%

NPCs:
    Mazaro (porter 2) 50%
    Henneki 50%
    All others 100%

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"So at least we know that it takes a fair amount of time for the radiant spirit to return to their native plane if they can't hatch. This means that even if they had taken possession of the monkeys only moments before encountering us that their total time on this plane would still be too long for us to assume we could just wait out any possessed creature blocking our path. It's an unfortune situation to find ourselves in, but it is good to know nonetheless.

How do we wish to divide the watch? Some of us, myself included, require a full nights rest to be able to contribute our best tomorrow.
    "

Play-by-Post Characters:

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Alan was grateful for the quite. The jungle was still to wet, to warm, for his liking, but at least it was now still. He could tell from the reactions of the locals that this was probably not an ideal sign, but he was more accostumed to stillness and quite himself. The areas that attracted his attention for study rarely also attracted natural creatures of this plane. Of course he was also hardly accustomed to traveling in such a large group either, but one makes do.

At least if this stillness turned out to be deadly there were plenty of bodies to put between him and the danger. Although when the stillness did break it brought only more wet, this time in the form of rain. Alan peered into the clouds as the rain came down, but sense nothing magical, simply normal rain clouds. Disappointing but expected.

The rest of the day was dull, uneventful which gave him time to think though no large revelations seemed forthcoming at the moment.

As the group set up for camp he was broken from his concentrations by Cedric talking about the radiance spirits, which Alan had honestly not paid much thought to after their identification as they had little to do with the true powers of the planes, and watch orders.

"I also require a full rest as well as some meditation time to keep my powers going. If there is the time allotted, or my watch is needed I am fairly comfortable in the dark. I do think if anyone has some skill with care though there are several of us that could benefit from treatment of our injuries"

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Once they arrive at the campsite, Thorik will work with Pisco and the crew to help set things up for the night, with an eye for being able to defend the caravan. He will then look to go to bed early, expecting to take a watch in the night or early morning.

"Pisco, how would you plan to set the watches? It seems that many of our group need their rest to prepare for tomorrow, but Karan and I should be able to take a watch. My night vision's not great, but it's better than some.

Who among your group needs help with wounds? I can cure 2 people before we rest."

Spoiler: OOC - daily item use
    Show

Mercurion, when do you consider daily use items to reset? At midnight, dawn, or something else?
    I will use 2 charges from a healing belt on the crew, and 1 on myself, before the end of the day.

24. - Top - End - #144

OrcBarbarianGuy

In the wet ashes of the old fire pit, Pisco started a blaze kindling, feeding it first the hairy bits of underbrush and then larger and larger branches of wood until it burned steadily. With the porters’ help, he set out cooking gear, a metal grate, and placed a kettle of water over the flames into which he dumped a double handful of coffee beans.When the grate was sizzling hot he took an oblong box from the back of the wagon and removed from it slabs of iguana steak that had been wrapped in cool banana leaves, placing the meat to sear over the fire while the porters took everyone plantains and blood oranges to tide them over until the iguana was ready.

Dyos bo’otik, master Thorik,” Pisco said as the dwarf helped set up the camp. “As to the watching, Henri and Ovari can take one watch, Nephi and Fastas another. You and Karan would be most welcome to add your eyes as you see fit. I would let Henekki rest rather than watch to let his wounds from the monkey’s claws heal some.” He flipped the iguana steaks on the sizzling grate, a bit of fat dripping into the hot coals to send a mouthwatering aroma wafting through the air. “The animals have fled, I think, and my maskab’ will most like rest tonight, unless more of these tuucha iik’ trouble us.”

Later, after the meal had been finished and the coffee of wild beans had been passed out in small wooden mugs, Pisco poked the fire, sending wisps of burning ash to dance above the flames. The wagon had been pulled into the best defensive position possible and Ovari and Henri were stationed on the outskirts of the camp, watching as darkness rapidly descended on the jungle, erasing the trees beyond the light from the campfire from sight.

“Except the tuucha iik’, we made very good time today. It is good you have the best guide in the entire Vahari Delta,” he said with a grin. “I think, if we push, and no more unnatural creatures trouble us and the nature spirits see fit to smile on us, we can reach Madaro-Shanti by mid-afternoon. Then it will be up to you to find what causes this muyal kaxan.” He swirled the coffee in his mug and looked around group. “What do you know of Madaro-Shanti?”

<tagall>

Spoiler
    Show
    Rather than spend a second night in the jungle, you should be able to reach the ruins the next day, though the timing may well depend on what, if anything, comes your way. In terms of Thorik’s question re healing, Cederick is wounded the worst of the group; the guard should be OK, unless you have extra healing to spare,but he’ll be up to 75% with a night’s rest.
    Spoiler
    Show

@Goby – dailyuses reset at midnight. Let me know the results of the healing belt and who isbeing healed.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2020-07-21 at 05:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Given that it is almost time to rest and that he has gotten considerably hurt, Cederick casts his main healing spell on himself.

"Not as much as I would like" Cederick says, as reply to a question of knowledge and he took a sip of coffee.

Show
    Casting Cure Moderate Wounds on myself (2d8+5)[19]. Nobody is below 50% so no point in saving it for "Touch of Healing" at this point. I also have a Cure Light Wounds prepared for someone who needs it as well as 2 cure minor wounds to top someone of who needs it.

Not actually sure if I do or not know anything about Madaro-Shanti, but either way what he says is a 100% true, he would always like to know more.

Play-by-Post Characters:

26. - Top - End - #146

OrcBarbarianGuy

Pisco sat back, It was the most powerful city-state in the entire Ambicuaria Jungle. Great magic they practiced, and their prosperity made for jealous enemies, none more covetous than the powerful and sorcerous Kiengaa tribe of the deep jungles. The Kiengaa plotted against Madaro-Shanti, making dark pacts. They gathered an unnatural army, ape centaurs and monkey-faced hanu-naga, and laid siege to the city itself.

As the walls of Madaro-Shanti fell, and the invaders swarmed into the city, the high priest of the city closed himself within the royal shrine they say, praying to all the gods for intervention. Yet none of the gods answered his prayers until the last – and that was Ojala, whom the people of Madaro-Shanti knew as a god of evil and treachery. A deadly bargain was struck that night, and true to his promise, Ojala caused a horrible wasting disease to strike the besieging army. But the full extent of the evil god’s treachery became clear when the surviving people of Madaro-Shanti themselves began to succumb to the same disease which had slain their enemies. Within a fortnight, all the people of Madaro-Shanti had either died of the plague or scattered into the depths of the predator-filled jungle.

And so the ruins have laid abandoned for more than a century now.” Pisco looked thoughtful as he wrapped up his tale before adding one more thing, as if an afterthought. “There is an old saying about Madaro-Shanti: ‘The Well Moves the Walls’, but none know what it might mean, not even the so-called wisest of our shamans.”

Spoiler
    Show
    Health Status:
    PCs:
    Alan 79%
    Ignasio 83%
    Karan 87%
    Niala’s Cat 91%
    Thorik 98%
    Niala 96%
    Cederick 100%

NPCs:
    Mazaro (porter 2) 50%
    Henneki 50%
    All others 100%
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2020-07-24 at 03:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ignasio tasted Pisco's coffee and decided that he was more of a tea person himself. So he placed his own small pot and mixed in some of the herbs he found, not before consulting with both Pisco and Niala to make sure that none of them would kill him, or worst yet, cause a severe diarrhea!
    He then set himself with the others, trying the food (he could do better, maybe tomorrow) and listen closely to the story told by Pisco. Now that was the real life! A campsite in the middle of the jungle, a tea of exotic herbs and a legend of ancient war, and magic and evil gods. This was exactly what he signed up for. He repeated the foreign names " Kiengaa", "Ojala", " hanu-naga".
    Although he was not assigned guard duty, he was far from being tired when the tale was over so he stayed by the fire, talking to Pisco for as long as the guide could tolerate about odds and ends of the jungle life. Some random bits filed in his head next to numerous trivia regarding horse breeding, the court of White Ridge and almost all the words of an old Gnomish child song.
    He was still awake after most hit their bedrolls, staring at the diminishing campfire, scratching some of the battle wounds he took which still itched. He then went to sleep with the last riddle of the Madaro Shanty trailing in his head "The well moves the walls" Hmmm, those slippers may yet prove useful.

Spoiler: OCC:
    Show
    is the last monkey now dead or only dazed? if still alive Ignasio will definitely try to befriend it by offering some food.

28. - Top - End - #148

OrcBarbarianGuy

OOC: The spire monkey was dead, then the corpse was animated by the radiant spirit, and now that the spirit has been forced back to its home plane the monkey is still dead.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thorik responds to Pisco's question about Madaro-Shanti:

"Not much, I'm afraid. My people have heard some of the legends, and tell some stories, but mostly I just know to stay away from the cursed ruins."

After listening to Pisco's story, Thorik will heal Mazaro, Henneki, and himself before turning in for rest. He will join the group on the second watch.

Spoiler: healing
    Show

Use 1 charge on each of 3 people
    Mazaro (porter 2): (2d8)[13]
    Henneki: (2d8)[5]
    Thorik: (2d8)[13]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"So this wouldn't be the first time that dead has spread from that city. An interesting puzzle to solve indeed. I wonder if we can find any traces of this old magic, and the old bargain they supposedly struck, when we reach the ruins."

Play-by-Post Characters: