New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [IC]

Axwheel nodded her understanding, although wasn't sure exactly how she was supposed to be totally silent, while wearing chain mail, solid metal shield and waving a chunky battle axe around, but if he wanted them to stop talking, that she could do.
    Nevertheless, she turned her attention to the fallen walls, to try and determine whether there was an easier access there that might give a better view into the interior, and anything that might be living there.
    Which could easily be Borsin, but the recent presence of the zombie monkeys helped to suggest other, less pleasant, alternatives.

Still, the gatehouse could easily become a defensible place of refuge in the event of attack, or a trap which was hard to escape...

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Karan had stopped, his eyes narrowing as he scanned the ruins. His gaze was drawn to a section of the partially tumbled down walls to the west of the gatehouse, where he saw first one and then another head pop up over the lip of a section of fallen blocks. They were ape-like, thick-necked and bullet shaped.

The sound of calls arose as the two creatures opened their mouths and began to making grunting, chuffing noises. The calls rattled around the stones, echoing amongst the leaning walls and strewn battlements. Soon the call was taking in other nearby sections of the ruins, perhaps even from the surrounding jungle, an eerie cacophony of noise.

Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"Borsin", Karan stated. "I usually avoid them, they're bad news, but that's not an option here - too many of us, and we need to walk around these ruins." He scanned the party members. "Anyone here good with negotiating with really clever animals, or perhaps intimidation? I'm, uhh, that's not exactly, well, I'm not."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

“Spiders, ugh, I hate spiders! Especially the hairy ones. Do you think there are lots of them in there?”
    Ignasio stood there in the middle of the road waiting for a decision to be made as Karan and Axewheel exchanged meaningful glances. Meaningful to them that is. He looked at Alan and Thorik, looking for any sign of assurance of what needs to be done next, and found none.
    As the cries started raising from the ruins he shifted uneasily, taking off his crossbow and making mental notes of possible hiding places by the road “What, monkeys again?”.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Ay, so that's a Borsin... Heard've such beasts but never knew the name," Thorik ponders as he tightens his axe grip. He steps forward to be clear of the group and surveys the terrain, looking for the likely path where the creatures would approach to prepare to defend if necessary.

"Never been much at negotiatin', but I can speak to animals a bit, if that would help? Though these look more like beasts than animals? Do they communicate?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

if he thinks it will work, Thorik will activate his speak with animals ability, and see if he can convince the Borsin to leave us be.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Well those things are positively hideous... it would probably be easier to simply kill the lot of them anyways I doubt they would appreciate any intense research I might need to do.

"I admit negotiations are not really my strong point. If they were I might have done better in academic politics and I wouldn't be here at all. Still there are plenty of us and we have access to abilities I'm not sure they are prepared for. Should we really be so worried?

7. - Top - End - #217

DwarfFighterGirl

Axwheel snorted.
    "they're animals, they got nasty claws and sharp teeth, an they hunt in packs.
    Sumtimes bloody big packs wot like to eat anything they kin drag down.
    So yeah, being worried is a good idea."

She nodded towards the nearest wall section that wasn't already covered in Borsin.
    "Lets get our backs agin that, so's they caint surround us, and so's more uv
    don't jump us from outa the jungle.
    and then me'n'Ignacio here kin figure out some sorta decent recipe to cook 'em
    fer dinner tanight.
    Me, I tend ta go for simple fare, stick a skewer through it and rotate over a fire,
    but I rekon that the Spice-boy here should be able to add somethin' exciting ta that option."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Karan, who was nodding during the first half of Axwheel's speech started frowning during the second half.
    "I wouldn't start a big fight with a pack, especially one we don't know the size of. Let's see if we can get them to leave us alone. If not, we'll fight."
    "Thorik, they communicate, yes. You can hear them doing it now. If you can try speaking with them, that would be good. If that fails, well..." he let the sentence trail off.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thorik casts ”speak with animals”, and attempts to convince the Borsin to leave us alone. For 1 minute, he can speak to them.

“We don’t want any trouble. Let us pass by into the ruins, and we’ll leave you alone.”

Depending on whether they seem to respond, he will consider what to say next.

OOC, he has no diplomacy or intimidation, and a dwarf’s charisma. Let me know if i need to make a check.

10. - Top - End - #220

OrcBarbarianGuy

OOC: Sorry for the delay folks.

IC:
    As Thorik attempted to speak with...well, whatever these creatures were, a number of them emerged from the ruined walls directly to the north of them. These seemed to be some of the pack that had answered the first call. They trotted out on long dusky gray legs, with the bodies the size of a kudu but the torso and upper bodies of lowland gorillas.

A very large male, his fur turning silver, lead the group, his fangs bared. Half a dozen others revealed themselves, beginning to converge behind the big male as they slowly walked towards the group. Thorik couldn't tell if the creatures could understand his speech, but from their body language it was clear they intended to drive what they viewed as intruders out of their territory.

Henneki gulped slightly, tipping his spear forward at a 45-degree angle. "Order, sirs?" he said the leaders of the expeditionary force.

Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ignasio watched with interest and excitement as the weird looking creatures emerged from the ruins. This was so interesting that he forgot to be scared.
    "There are several things that you can do with a Kudu you know, besides Biltong!" he whispered to Axeheel, shifting from one leg to another in excitement "I'll tell you all about it tonight".
    He then moved a little bit closer to the front making sure not to miss any of the negotiation about to ensue.
    "Oh, lower your weapon Henneki, but keep it at ready please, I am sure Thorik and Karan can handle this" he said to the anxious guard, looking curiously at each and every member of the welcoming committee coming to greet them no doubt "Actually, Axeheel idea may be a good one", he said thoughtfully "nothing like a joint open fire cooking night to break the ice, like we did at the Tagora passage about 5 years ago, not sure the local wild rabbits community survived that one".
    He then went back into whispering mode, making it loud enough for all to hear, pointing at the large silvery male "I think this one is the leader"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Karan supressed an urge to point at a the object with a trunk and leaves nearby and say "I think that's a tree", and instead said to the group:
    "Does anyone here have the ability to perform something flashy and scary, a spell or something? It might scare them off. If not, we'll have to fight."

Show
    That was a very good post, Dan. I actually laughed out loud.

13. - Top - End - #223

DwarfFighterGirl

Axwheel nodded as she swung her metal shield into position covering the majority of her body and started to swing her battleaxes forward and back, loosening her muscles up for whatever may come next.
    She nodded to Ignacio.
    "Yup, he's the leader, but he's probably old and stringy.
    better ta take them females, or the younger ones, meat
    on those is gonna be a bit more tender."

She waved her keen blade in an arc before her, indicating a few of the approaching horde.
    "That one looks tasty, and got some body on it, so's that one."

She indicated the leader again and gnashed her teeth with a grin
    "gonna have ta tenderize that one a bit, maybe with
    the flat uv me axe !"

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thorik considers the growing group of Borsin, still hoping that he can convince them to let us pass. Moving his axe from at his side to held firmly in front, not ready to swing but clearly displayed as a warning, he looks at the one likely to be the leader.

"We not fight, and not food. No trouble. Let us pass."

Turning back to the group, he looks uncertain.

"Not sure this is gonna work, don't often try to talk my way through a pack's territory. Might hafta fight em'."

OOC, with the spell I should be able to understand them if they're still communicating with each other. If I can't hear anything from their grunting, then this probably isn't working and it's time to fight.

15. - Top - End - #225

OrcBarbarianGuy

The group of Borsin began to coalesce behind the silver-tinged male, swinging a bit to the east before circling back towards the expedition as if to drive them back down the old road. Angry, shouted grunts, accompanied with violent gestures, made it clear the party was not welcome in the borsins’ territory.

“Go away!” Thorik heard the male say, though the common was heavily accented and difficult to comprehend, even with the short phrases.[1] “Our land! Not welcome here!” The creatures were known to be aggressive about their territory, and only the expedition’s superior numbers, perhaps, were holding them back from an immediate attack. Nonetheless, the herd performed several (what turned out to be) mock charges in an effort to drive the group away, closing to within 50 or 60 feet.

However, watching them close, the party noticed a curious fact: the borsin appeared to somewhat haggard, weak even. Their gaits were slightly unsteady, their movements sluggish even as they made their mock charges. At this distance their facial features could be seen and they appeared to be universally tired and drawn.[2]

<tag all>

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:
    [1] Techincally these are monstrous humanoids rather than animals, but they do have a 7 Int, so between that and Thorik’s ability you can manage some basic communication.
    [2] I have to say, writing this portion, with the effect obviously due to the creatures’ prolonged exposure to the plague cloud, was a little weird and unsettling during this time of pandemic.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

“Ugh, I don’t think any of them will fit for a stew, maybe if thinly grinded and fitted with some pork fat they can be used for some low quality sausages” he glanced sideways at Axwheel, suddenly realising where this conversation was going to and wandering how it got there. He shuddered slightly “In any case, I rather not eat anything that can talk, or that is looking at me while I eat it. I hate fish heads!”
    He watched in silence at Thorik’s attempt at negotiation “Why is he talking all funny, like he doesn’t know proper common? Does that mean to impress them?” he said to no one in particular, and then stepped forward flourishingly bowing with his hat in his hand, stretched forward and almost, but exactly not, touching the ground.

“Greetings. We have come here at the order of the city of Chologadi to drive away that awful black cloud” he pointed at the menacing skies above. “Let us through and we will not eat you! You seem somewhat sick and weak, maybe we can get you a good cup of tea to make you feel better” and he took out his herb pouch, now stuffed with multiple samples collected religiously along the way and opened it, showing its content to the pack leader to appreciate.

Spoiler: OOC and rolls:
    Show
    not sure if that was Diplomacy or intimidation LOL . assuming diplomacy [roll] 1d20+5 [/roll]

Spoiler: rolling again, I hate this forum
    Show
    [roll]1d20+5[/roll]
    Last edited by Koral; 2020-10-25 at 03:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

And again....
    Spoiler: And again
    Show
    (1d20+5)[20]

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Alard watched this unfold, he wasn't quite certain what was even going on anymore. Why were they negotiating with these apes? Wouldn't it be faster to simply blast them?

But no, instead they were making deals with these creatures... he couldn't break from the group so soon, he still needed there support. So for now he would sit back and look for an opening, if the beasts looked ready to pounce he could unleash his power.

But he needed them to make the first move.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Karan was surprised to find that Ignasio's actions gave him an idea.
    "Axwheel, do we have any foodstuff we can throw them? And Thorik, tell them this is their land, their land only. We just stay for short time."

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thorik manages a gruff smirk as he listens to Ignasio's parley with the borsin. Watching their actions, he almost feels sorry for them. Clearly the cloud is affecting them as well.

He considers his words after hearing Karan's suggestion, and continues to speak slowly to the assembled herd. One last chance to see if they'll let us through, as it seems a waste of effort to fight them off.

"Yes, your land. We not take. Will leave soon, but we came to stop the darkness. Make sky clear and land healthy again."

21. - Top - End - #231

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Leave land now!" the lead borsin roared as the whole group of them began galloping, albeit a bit unsteadily, menacingly towards the group.

Probably not bright enough to make the connection between their condition and the cloud, Oso reflected to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    You made a good try, but borsin are too territorial to reason with while you are in their claimed lands. Nonetheless, you put some doubt in their minds, so roll initiative with a +5 bonus and declare actions everyone. For planning purposes, the closet borsin is 50' away, whiles the furthest is 70' from Thorik.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Karan's eyes narrowed and he began muttering to himself again. He shook his head, took off his bow, and aimed at the lead borsin - releasing three rapid shots at the silverback. While he did this he stopped shaking his head (hard to aim), but never stopped muttering.

Spoiler: OOC & Initiative
    Show

(1d20+13)[24]
    Only rolling for initiative for now. If you need me to roll the shots as well, let me know.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thorik shakes his head in anger at the need to fight this simple beasts (rage), raises his axe in both hands, and prepares to charge at the borsin. Preferably the leader, but it depends on who he can reach.

(1d20+6)[13]

24. - Top - End - #234

DwarfFighterGirl

[OOC] Dammit, I promised myself to check the site every day, and then forget for a week....

[IC]
    Axwheel shook her head.
    "Got enough ta cook a couple of meals, not enuff ta feed all this lot.
    But they look as though living here under that cloud is slowly killing them anyway,
    maybe we kin just come back in a few days and they're all gonna be dead already."

Then she hefted her battle axe one more time as she continued to loosen up.
    "But I'd prefer to keep moving forward so that we kin get our backs agin that wall
    so they kin only come at us from a couple of directions.
    We're sure gonna be surrounded out here in the open."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ignasio DID NOT shake his head.
    As much he wanted to join what he believed to be a local combat ritual of some sort he could not help remembering the last time he shook his head at the beginning of some tavern brawl, his hat fell off and it took him days to clean all the beer stains, shoes marks, fat and vomit that it gathered while lying there.
    He did feel sorry for those creatures though, and tried to still come up with a non-violence solution even while his friends were all pulling out their weapons. This was not the heroic fight he was dreaming of, quite the opposite.
    “Hold, let us pass, and we will not hurt you!” he shouted while weaving elaborate patterns in front of him with his hands, finally finishing by pointing at the group of charging.... monkeys... things.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    casting Web on the leader and as many of the front group as possible, trying to rntangle them. Initiative (1d20+14)[22]

26. - Top - End - #236

DwarfFighterGirl

while ignoring Ignasio's lack of head-shaking, despite the fact that it displayed a strange lack of community spirit, Axwheel considered her options.

Her preference had been to attempt to cure the disease the band were clearly suffering from, in the same way she has managed to do to her own team earlier in the day, however her ability to do so at the moment was severely limited. She had already used many of her healing spells of that power earlier in the day and so might, at best, be able to cure 1 or 2 of the borsin before being forced to rest and recover for a day, but that was only going to work if someone was able to get communication going between them. And, quite frankly, the Borsin didn't seem the brightest of Clangeddin's creatures, and unlikely to understand the concept of
    "how about I fix these guys today, will get around to helping you guys tomorrow, and in return we're all friends and buddies for as long as we're around, OK ??"

Tempting, but not a gamble she was willing to take when getting it wrong put a lot of lives at risk. so instead, looks like clobbering time....

27. - Top - End - #237

OrcBarbarianGuy

Karan unleashed three arrows one after the other in rapid succession, aiming for the lead borsin. [1].

Meanwhile, while Ignasio's complete lack of headshaking was having a severe negative impact on the entire expedition's morale, he nonetheless began a few preliminary arcane gestures before reconsidering. The ground here was flat and covered in scrub, utterly lacking in nearby trees--not to mention having no ceiling whatsoever--with which to anchor his web spell. Something else would have to be considered, and that quite quickly. [2]

The borsin lumbered unsteady towards them; but no matter whether they were suffering from the effects of the toxic cloud, they still looked like the weighed 300 or more pounds each and could pack quite a wallop.

Show
    Sorry for the delay, I have been quite pre-occupied with the election here.

[1] Roll for Karen's attacks, he has the top initiative and can act first.
    [2] Web needs diametrically opposed anchors, which are not available here. You can pick a different action for Ignasio.

Here is the initiative order:
    Character Init
    Karan 24
    Ignasio 22
    Alan 17
    Thorik 13
    Cederick 10
    Guards 10
    Borsin 6
    Thorik can charge if he'd like, but what the field looks like might depend on Alan and Ignasio's actions.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

As the arrows sailed through the air, Karan was already stepping towards the trees on his left (careful to step behind the over party members, not to get in their way), hoping to get some cover while he continued to shoot.

first shot - (1d20+7)[27]
    damage - (1d8+3)[9]
    second shot - (1d20+7)[9]
    damage - (1d8+3)[10]
    first shot - (1d20+4)[22]
    damage - (1d8+3)[5]

29. - Top - End - #239

DwarfFighterGirl

Despite completely lacking in Initiative, Axwheel prepares to receive the incoming charge, holding her attack until the first creature was within range.

[OOC] battle axe attack - held

Spoiler: dice rolls
    Show

Initiative: (1d20)[20]
    Attack - battle-axe:(1d20+7)[21]
    damage - battle axe: (1d8+4)[10]

30. - Top - End - #240

OrcBarbarianGuy

Map! You can assume that the only hinderance to movement is through squares with jungle or ruins.