New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Starsong War (IC)

Zeke sends his own message; Seems this is more complicated than it seemed at first. I'll see what I can do, but without information on who I'm looking for that won't be so easy. He already had a hunch it would be, but he didn't mention this because he didn't want to cause any undo stress.

He would then run Strider to the ship, hoping he could figure something out about finding the right person or persons.
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2020-04-16 at 09:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

---The Latrodectus---
    When Zeke arrives at the landing pad holding the Latrodectus two mena and a women are just leaving the pad. Patches on their overalls identify them as being part of the 'Treasure Cove' scrapper crew. Sergeant Eiko is standing at the entrance to the pad, and raises his hand in greeting as Zeke approaches in his mech.

"Good morning , Zeke! Here to take a look at our mystery ship?" the sergeant says, once Zeke has dismounted. "If so, I'm going to have to ask you to wait for a couple of minutes. Those guys from Treasure Cove had a rather interesting theory about the ship's appearance that I'm going to let them test, but I'd prefer not to have anyone roaming through the ship in case they're wrong."

The Latrodectus itself is an ugly ship, with a hull that's been patched up so many times that it's hard to tell what class of ship it was initially. It's a fairly large freighter too, nearly 70 meters in length. There are signs of fairly recent damage to the hull, though nothing major (a couple of laser burns, mostly).

---Fujin's holdings---
    Yue finds the warehouses to be quiet, with only a single police officer keeping an eye on them. When approached, he informs Yue that the Portmaster is currently at Fujin's offices.

Fujins offices area actually a custom-built ship. Fujin uses these on frontier worlds as easy to deploy offices. There's another officer standing watch at the entrance. She nods at Yue when she sees the pilot approaching. "Looking for the Portmaster?" She asks. "if so, I do hope you've got something to lighten her mood, as Fujin's really getting on her nerves right now."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-17 at 03:19 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

The trip back had Yue pensive; she was thinking of Ouroboros' End the whole time, hoping in great measure that it wasn't true. There was an orphanage she was involved here... she knew that they would catch up with her eventually, yet...

"I see... I will check the offices, then."

Yue heads to the ship, and looks to the officer. "I have urgent news to relay to her. The entirety of Rustport may be in danger."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

The officer grimaces, then gets her communicator. "Boss, Yue Shiratsuyu is here for you, says it is important." She says. A moment passes, then the officer speaks up again. "I mean, maybe? All she said is that there's a potential colony-wide threat." The officer winces at whatever response she gets, then turns to Yue again. "Alright, she's on her way down."

A minute later, Portmaster Kameko barges into the entrance hall, an expression of barely contained rage on her face. "Yue, this had better be good." She growls.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-17 at 03:06 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Yue's expression is terse as she pulls out her phone and shows Kameko the images of the message, as well as Adrian's texts and conclusions. "... this is what we were able to gather - this was information rigged up to a bomb that, if we had not bypassed it, would have been erased completely." A quiet frown. "I believe we need to move fast. Zeke is moving to investigate the Latrodectus in the case that it may be their escape plan."

A pause, as she glances aside. "I might have an inkling of some of the collaborators, but do not have proof yet."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

The portmaster slowly regains her composure as she listens to Yue talk. "So, this 'evacuation of critical assets' occurred two days ago, right? What would you say if I told you that the director in charge of Fujin's Avron affairs, as well as his top accountant and their families left the colony for the core worlds two days ago? And with explicit instructions to their personnel to keep up the illusion that they were still here, 'to avoid worries about Avron's viability'?" She shakes her head. "Don't answer that, I know exactly how that sounds. I'm going to see if those paper-pushers they left behind have anything new to say if I reveal that their boss might have just left them here to die. If I find anything useful, I'll let you know. If that bomb, or whatever it is they're planning hasn't been found by noon, I'm going to order an evacuation of the colony. We can rebuild these buildings, but people are a lot harder to replace."

After this, she turns to the female officer that had been guarding the entrance. "Go get some heavy tools, and start breaking open those Fujin warehouses. I want to know exactly what they contain."

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    ---The Latrodectus---
    When Zeke arrives at the landing pad holding the Latrodectus two mena and a women are just leaving the pad. Patches on their overalls identify them as being part of the 'Treasure Cove' scrapper crew. Sergeant Eiko is standing at the entrance to the pad, and raises his hand in greeting as Zeke approaches in his mech.

"Good morning , Zeke! Here to take a look at our mystery ship?" he says, once Zeke has dismounted. "If so, I'm going to have to ask you to wait for a couple of minutes. Those guys from Treasure Cove had a rather interesting theory about the ship's appearance that I'm going to let them test, but I'd prefer not to have anyone roaming through the ship in case they're wrong."

The Latrodectus itself is an ugly ship, with a hull that's been patched up so many times that it's hard to tell what class of ship it was initially. It's a fairly large freighter too, nearly 70 meters in length. There are signs of fairly recent damage to the hull, though nothing major (a couple of laser burns, mostly).
    "I see, is the ship in operational order?" he would lean over, trying to be discreet as possible, "We have reason to believe someone my be trying to use this ship to escape. I could easily prevent this with the Strider, but there's no guarantee they'll make it out alive and we need to question them."
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Sergeant Eiko looks a bit skeptical. "Technically, yes, the ship is operational, but its fuel reserves are low. It might just about make it to the next system on what it has left, but only if it did a very slow approach. Not exactly an ideal escape vehicle, at least not until it's refueled. What is this about escaping anyway... oh, has this something to do with that missing engineer, Bernhard?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Yue frowns rather deeply as Kameko relays the news. "That strengthens our case further. I'm headed back to the warehouse - I have the appropriate protocols to give them a head start."

A pause, as she lowers her head. "I have a request. If I am not back before the order, could I please have you send someone to the Sunlight Orphanage...? I cannot bear to see those children..."

A longer pause, and she shakes her head. She can't afford to be distracted here. Heading down to the warehouses with the officer, she nods and says, "Let me assist." She draws the beam knife she'd prepared as part of her tools, focusing as she channels the appropriate nanomachines in her body -- and makes a focused tap upon the locks. Just like she had been trained by Ouroboros' End...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going to use Mountain Hammer, which deals 2d6 extra damage and ignores hardness.

(1d20+10)[24] - Attack roll (Dex - Weapon Finesse)
    (3d6)[9] - total damage (1d6 (no Str) + 2d6 extra damage)

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course, I'll make sure someone stops by to pick them up if it comes to that." the Portmaster reassures Yue.

It takes a couple of taps, but the doors on the three Fujin warehouses don't hold back Yue for long. Two of the warehouses themselves are about half-full. There are crates with long-lasting food supplies, as well as boxes with electronic components, and a large variety of small spare parts of all kinds. One warehouse mostly contains specific pieces of salvage, such as a part that appears to be a mostly-intact mecha cockpit or another that seems to be a heavily modified rifle. This warehouse is mostly empty though. Nothing immediately suspicious stands out.

Show

Please roll a search check.
    also: cop search checks
    (1d20+7)[10]
    [roll] 1d20+5[/roll]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Yue frowns quietly as she works with the officers to investigate -- the salvage is getting closer, certainly, yet...

Show
    (1d20+6)[25] Search

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

"This'd be easier if we had the official manifests for what should be here." One of the officers mutters as he checks box after box. "For all we know, we're looking for something that's missing rather than something that's still here."

"The portmaster should have those in a bit. We can do a second sweep then." The female officer that had been guarding Fujin's offices before brings up.

During her own search, Yue stumbles across a box that sounds hollow, and after opening it up, it seems almost completely empty, which is odd, given that all the other boxes and palets in the warehouses contained at least something. At the bottom of the box lies a small metal badge, which on closer inspection appears to be an imperial rank insignia, which when worn with a full dress uniform would identify the wearer as holding the rank of captain. A small piece of torn paper is also stuck in the bottom of the box. It seems to be the corner of a map, but it's too small to figure out what the full map would have depicted, though there's part of a river visible in the sliver she has, which makes it doubtful that it'd depict Rustport or its surroundings.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll see what I can do at the Messiah" Adrian waved goodbye, writing the same thing to Zeke, and taking off with Fluffy.
    On the way, he remembered something- something rather old, and probably useless, but still something.
    He wrote to Zeke and Yue:

This should be useless info but, keep a look out for a patch with a skunk wearing a mecha jetpack and a gear in the background. If you see one, it's likely that they are one of the culprits- though it shouldn't happen. Don't tell anyone else

He was gonna have to explain it later, but for now he hoped it could be even a bit useful.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Yue glances towards Adrian's message, biting her lip to the officers for a moment. Sounded sensitive...

She does stop as she looks towards the hollow box and opens it. A small metal badge... Imperial, possibly quite high ranking. She frowns and takes a picture of the map as well, sending it to both Zeke and Adrian, before pocketing the badge.

Found a lead as well. We may have Imperial perpetrators in the mix. And, to tell the truth... I have a possible lead on the 'Ouroboros' mentioned in Zeke's note too... if you see either:

- a sigil of an armored knight crushing a coiled snake underfoot
    - a ship bearing a symbol of a chained hound and flames

Please let us know.

Show
    History - (1d20+1)[3]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

For Adrian, it's a little over two minutes flying to the wreck of the Messiah. The wreck is a massive rustig hulk, over 700 meters in length and dozens of meters wide and high. It was a 'Smite' class battleship, and in its time the pride of the imperial navy. Now, it only functions as a wind-break for the colony of Rustport.

In front of the colony is a sizeable gathering of people, about 40 all told. Adrian can easily make out the massive frame of Revalk standing in front of the group and gesturing at the remains of the Messiah. The size of the group with him indicates that he's roped in more than just his own crew for the search, as his crew only has a dozen members.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

șOf course we needed imperials too in the mix... Though it makes senseș Adrian thought reading Yue's message.

Reaching the group of people, Adrian momentarily landed to talk to Revalk.
    "Revalk! I'm here to help" he said, getting out of the cockpit "I'll quickly sweep the ship from the outside using the Fluffy's sensors before joining inside the ship" at that point, unless Revalk said something to stop him, Adrian jumped back inside and took off.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I'll roll Spot Listen and Search, though I think from the outside there is little point besides Blindsense/Blindsight.

(1d20)[16]
    (1d20)[18]
    (1d20+3)[6]

Also... Whatever's the knowledge for Battleships (I know I have no ranks in it), to think of a spot where I'd hide a bomb. Or turn something in a bomb, like the engine in case it's still there, in the srw setting battleships are nucler-powered but dunno about here.

(1d20+3)[14]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

"Right! We'll be doing a bow to stern sweep for traces of radiation first, and then we'll check her reactor rooms. Hopefully that'll turn up something!" Revalk shouts back at Adrian, then motions for the small crowd around him to get going.

The sweep of the outside of the ship turns up little of interest. the Messiah looks like it always does. Some armor plating might appear a little loser than the last time Adrian properly looked over the ship, and a bit more of the inner structure might be visible, but there are no clues to the location of a bomb.

Spoiler: Knowledge check
    Show

Battleships are indeed powered by nuclear reactors, and the Messiah is no exception. The Messiah had two Main reactors and four smaller secondary reactors. Three of the secondary reactors have been removed entirely from the ship by salvage crews, while the fourth one had been destroyed in the battle that downed the ship, contributing to the ship's demise. The two main reactors are still in place, but they've been completely decommissioned under Bernhards guidance several years ago after one of them threatened to go critical. As far as you know it'd take an enormous amount of effort and special knowledge to turn those reactors into a threat again. (side note: it was because of the risk of a metldown risk that all wrecks close to the colony had been fitted with a couple of radiation detectors, to give the colony early warning in case an old reactor started acting up).

Given Adrian's suspicion that there might be a nuclear bomb, the easiest place to hide it would be within one of the old reactor rooms, as the slightly higher radiation levels there would help mask the bomb's own signature.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

"Predictably, there was nothing" Adrian told himself, going back.
    Given that Revalk's people were going to check the reactors last and given his own suspicions, Adrian decided to go check there first.
    On the way he remembered about the sensors at the other ship, and hurriedly contacted Revalk:

Tell your people to watch out for traps! Of the deadly kind!

Show
    I'll move as much as possible in the mecha and get to the nearest main reactor then. When near I'll advance carefully, given the laser sensors at the other ship.

Search for traps (gonna put ranks in this as soon as I can): (1d20+3)[12]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

The stern main reactor room looked very different from how it once had, back when the ships was still operational. back then, it had been a four-story high room centered around a massive orb containing the reactor and all machinery necessary to keep it stable and producing energy, with walkways and gantry's providing access to the generator for emergency repairs. The slow decay of the ship certainly played a role in the rooms change, but it was mostly down to the alterations made to the room as part of the decommissioning process. After the work on the reactor itself had been completed, Bernhard had suggested they be encased in a thick layer of concrete, just to be on the safe side. A large cilinder taking up most of the room had been built and filled up, securely locking the reactor away.

After a careful and cautious search of the room, Adrian finds nothing out of place. There are no traps, nor are there any traces of a bomb. Some broken tools lie in one corner of the room, but the rust and dust on them suggests they must've been there for a long time.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"It doesn't look like anything is here, uh?" Adrian asked himself while searching.
    șMay have to rethink the theory if the next room doesn't have anythingș with that he left for the other reactor.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Yue looks towards the officers and says, "I'm going to report the findings in this crate. With any luck, Kameko will have persuaded them for the shipping manifest. Could you take records of this evidence as well? I'll see if they talk further." She provides the badge and map piece for a moment, then returns towards the offices at a brisk pace.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

---ISS Messiah---
    Adrian makes his way across about half of the ship's length, passing through hallways slowly rusting away. Luckily, the Messiah has been mapped fairly thoroughly, she could avoid the areas in immediate danger of collapse.

The second reactor room looked much like the first, and as Adrian arrived, he heard a familiar voice. "So, nothing here? Maybe it was a bit too obvious a hiding place." Revalk stood two floors down from where Adrian had entered the room with two of his crew. Upon spotting Adrian, he waved. "Suppose you came to the same conclusion about the easiest place to hide a bomb?" he shouts up at Adrian. "Did you check the stern reactor already?"

---Rustport---
    the officer nods in thanks as she receives the badge and paper from Yue. "Huh, you don't see something like this very often." She says as she slips the badge into a small plastic bag.

Back at Fujin's offices, there's a lot more activity this time around. the portmaster is sitting in a comfortabel chair in the middle of the entrance-hall, with a portable computer on her lap and a small stack of datacarriers on a table next to her. Fujin employees rush in and out as she orders them to find various bits and pieces of information.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-17 at 08:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Adrian started pacing up and down the platform thinking.
    "Yes I did! Equal to this" he shouted back thinking. There had been a radiation alarm, so there had to be something somewhere.
    "I'll try checking the destroyed reactor room- if that fails, then I have no idea besides controlling the whole ship!" frustration was starting to build up. Could this have been a bluff? Having alarms attract their attention to the Messiah while something else happened elsewhere? But there weren't signs of tampering whatsoever... Did they take a nuclear bomb, do something risky like exposing the reactor or similar and then took the bomb somewhere else? That... Seemed way too risky.
    He wasn't sure what else could give off radiations homewever.
    "Revalk, do you think this could have all been a bluff? Attracting our attention to the Messiah by somehow triggering the radiation alarms two days prior?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Revalk considers for a moment, then shakes his head. "I helped install those sensors myself, and I know the specifications Bernhard made them to. They're pretty hard to fake out. But if they wanted to go for the 'needle in a haystack' type of security, they could do a lot worse than this ship." He checks his phone for a moment. "There've been a couple of scattered measurements of slightly higher radiation, but no trail, and nothing found yet, but I reckon there is definitely something here. And even if we need to literally go room by room, I managed to scrounge up enough folk to help that we should be done in the early afternoon at the latest."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Adrian nodded weakly.
    "Very well, I'll check the remaining reactor rooms for now" he turned and exited in a hurry.
    șThere must be something we overlooked- searching the whole ship randomly cannot be the only answerș

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

The three secondary reactor rooms that are still intact all prove to be as empty as the main ones. The fourth is completely inaccessible, as it used to be at the centre of large rent in the ship's forward section. As Adrian makes his way to the various rooms, he encounters other salvagers picking their way through the ship, radiation-sensors in hand.

Adrian has just finished looking over the third reactor room when a message from Revalk arrives, asking everyone in the searching party to come to an old briefing room as soon as they're done with their scan of the ship. By this time, a good hour of the search has passed.
    When Adrian arrives at the briefing room, he sees two members of Revalk's crew fussing over the old holo-projector at the room's centre. They get it working by the time everyone has arrived in the room, and a large 3D map of the wrecked ship now floats in the air for everyone to see. 11 yellow dots are spread out across the map, located located all across the ship, though none are in the forward section beyond the rent created by the destruction of the third Secondary reactor, and all measurements are in the more intact areas of the ship.

Revalk speaks up as soon as everyone has arrived. "As you can see, we've measured heightened radiation in a lot of different spots all across the ship. None of these spots have an apparent source, nor was anything found near them. Still, based on where we didn't make any of these measurements, I think it's safe to say that we can ignore the front third of the ship for now. Now, if someone has smart idea for where the source might be based on these measurements, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, I'll start assigning sections of ship to everyone, and we can start a thorough search."

Show

If you've got an idea based on this information provided above, feel free to put it in. Otherwise, if you're proficient in knowledge (architecture and engineering) you can roll that. If you're not, you can roll a straight wisdom check instead. Either way, I'm going to put a hold on this time-line for a bit until Yue and Zeke have caught up, as there's a chance they might uncover something relevant, or otherwise just decide to join this search, in which case they'll be attending this briefing with the opportunity to provide input as well.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Adrian had been tapping irritated on the table through the whole meeting.
    "What's at the center of those 11 points?" he finally asked.
    "Even if it's apparently only a wall, I think we should search for it" meanwhile, he also sent a message out to Zeke and Yue:

Did you uncover anything new? We've found eleven different traces of radiations but not how they relate. This makes no sense

Show
    Rolling Wisdom, unfortunately:

(1d20)[10]

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Sergeant Eiko looks a bit skeptical. "Technically, yes, the ship is operational, but its fuel reserves are low. It might just about make it to the next system on what it has left, but only if it did a very slow approach. Not exactly an ideal escape vehicle, at least not until it's refueled. What is this about escaping anyway... oh, has this something to do with that missing engineer, Bernhard?"
    Zeke nods, "There's no too much I can tell you, but current clues hint towards involved person's trying to move around. Can you tell me what they are trying to attempt?" he was getting a bit nervous, staring at the ship. His demeanor would stay calm, but he didn't want them to get away if that was indeed what was happening... Then again he really didn't have enough info to do something brash.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Segereant Eiko shrugs. "Sure. You might have heard that treasure Cove has a bit of a reputation for 'tax-free trading', as the portmaster might call it. So normally, I wouldn't want them near this ship. However, one of them approached me with an interesting claim about this ship having a false hull, basically parts and metal bolted on to change its profile. A ship-sized disguise, if you will. They'd know about such tricks, so I'm willing to let them prove it."

A clanking noise can be heard as an industrial mech slowly makes its way towards the platform. It's neither dextrous nor pretty, but its heavy claws and array of tools are perfect for cutting salvage into neatly manageable chunks. Two of the three salvagers Zeke had seen before are walking next to it. Sergeant Eiko raises a hand, motioning for them to stop. "Remember our agreement!"

"Yeah, yeah, don't worry. If we're wrong, this should only lightly scratch the outer hull." One of the salvagers answers, and Eiko nods and waves them through.

The three approach the bow of the ship, and the mech grasps hold of one of patches covering the hull almost tenderly. In so far as claws capable of crushing titanium beams can be 'tender'. The mech then slowly draws its claws back, and after a bit of resistance the plate peels away, leaving a large hole. "Ha!" A shout of triumph come from the crew as they motion for the sergeant to join them. The hole clearly shows a supporting structure of sorts, keeping the plates that had appeared to be part of a haphazardly fixed hull in place. Behind the structure, the actual ship's hull could be seen, looking to be in a far better shape than the fake outer hull.

"So, how about that reward?" The two salvagers beside the mech ask the sergeant, almost in unison.

"400 gold credits, provided you get to properly stripping of the entire disguise right now. And I'll throw in coming up with a plausible reason for you to know about this trick which doesn't suggest experience with smuggling operations for free, and ignore the fact that if you had been wrong that'd have done more than just 'scratch the hull'." The sergeant answers. He then nods towards Zeke. "If you wanted to take a look inside, it should be safe to do right now."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-17 at 03:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Zeke had watched with curiosity, they were actually right. Not that the idea of a disguised ship seemed that far fetched, but he sort of expected them to try and pull a fast one.

Given to go to check it out, Zeke would close and lock Strider which had been open for standby reasons. "This shouldn't take too long." he says before heading inside. He head to the flight deck first. Once there he would check any systems he could, seeing how reasonable it was for flight, and seeing perhaps if there was any signs that my point towards plans for it to leave soon.