New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Starsong War (IC)

The meeting spot chosen by the portmaster is a small crater, one like many pockmarking Avron as a result of shots missing their intended target during the breakaway war's last fleet battle. As far as craters go, this one is fairly modest, being less than 20 meters in diameter.

When Zeke, Adrian and Yue arrive, they can already see Sparrow 1 standing at the rim of the crater, while the portmaster is standing couple of meters in front of the mecha. The portmaster waves th three of them over when they arrive. Once they're all gathered around her, she speaks up. "Before I let the imperials know where we are, I'd like to ensure we're all on the same page regarding what to tell them, and what not to." At this, she looks pointedly at Adrian. "I haven't gotten the full story out of Revalk and Rief, but I'm good enough at reading subtext to realize that it'd probably be better if neither of their names came up. The same is probably true for Bernhard. Apart from that, is there anything else you think it'd be better to keep to ourselves?"
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

"Well... selfish as it may sound, they may not take well to my former affiliation with the very group they are hunting," Yue admits. "But, I spoke before of how if it would save Rustport, I would gladly do it. Otherwise... I'd like to let them lead the conversation a little - supply and corroborate facts only as we need to."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

"Why looking at me? I've left anything sensible out" Adrian shrugged "They're nice. We saved their lives. Don't see why we shouldn't trust them. Besides, it seems pointless to be prudent when you're meeting them out of your mecha"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seeing the Postmaster, Zeke would disengage and walk over to meet her.

"Wait, you what?" This is the first he heard about Yue being associated with terrorists. He shakes it off, he had no reason not to trust her she's helped out and been a part of Rustport for a while. Still this would make him a bit weary of her. "Well anyways, it's understandable and we don't really have any proof this has to deal with you personally.

He would then listen to Adrian. "Adrian, try to calm down and think a bit. We don't know how nice they are from a brief conversation over a comm. This is an elite soldier capable of communicating well. Also just because we aren't trying to fight them doesn't mean we want to show our hand. Also why are you still in Fluffy if you trust them? Besides we aren't meeting them quite yet. I agree with Yue, we should let them lead the conversation so we can hopefully get some more information while sharing as little as necessary."
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

"Meh, do what you want. I'll just limit myself to poke questions then. And I'm in the Fluffy because meeting on a neutral ground with terrorists potentially around the next rock seems like a major bad idea" Adrian said, taking flight.
    Opening the channels the imperials used previously he added "Ser Kay, if you see a black robot with a white fur collar flying around, it's one of us on patrol, so... Don't try to shoot me down, possibly"

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I'm paranoid, yeah.

Spot/Listen/Search
    (1d20)[15]
    (1d20)[14]
    (1d20+3)[20]

And as before, Blindsense 120 and Blindsight 30 mu, flying at a height of 40 mu.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, I can't blame Adrian for being on edge after all this." The portmaster sighs and shakes her head. "Yue, Zeke, I agree on trying to let them lead this conversation. However, I've also got a whole lot of people to look out for, so I'd prefer keeping things as friendly as possible, which means we won't be able to keep our cards too close to our chest. If there's nothing else, I'll activate the beacon and we can have a chat with these imperials."

Spoiler: Adrian scouting
    Show

You fly over empty rocky terrain. You spot no signs of movement, and your sensors don't register anything.

Then, suddenly, as you pass over a narrow gorge, a large jackal breaks cover and dashes after a smaller, mouse-like creature. Apart from that chase though, the terrain around you remains quiet.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-04-30 at 01:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247

"Sounds good to me," Zeke says, heading back to Strider. Powering it back up he would have it move back a bit, but would keep the Quantum Generator off. His weapons wouldnt be stowed, but he wouldn't be actively using them either.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh! A dog- well, a cousin I guess" Adrian exclaimed (after having switched off from the Imperial channels) and descended to spy on it since no threat seemed to be around.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    move silently!

(1d20+16)[21]

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

"That's fine, we're in alignment. My priority is Rustport and its citizens, just like yours," Yue answers the portmaster. A pause, as she adds, "Sorry, Zeke. I can explain more to you later if it'd make you more comfortable."

Yue proceeds to disengage as well and head over to the portmaster.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Adrian carefully moved closer to the jackal. It seemed to have caught the creature it was hunting, and was now bringing it back to the gorge it had come from. Carefully tracking it from the sky, Adrian saw it approach a rusted piece of mecha armor, from which several young jackals emerged. The older creature started tearing its prey appart and tossing the pieces to the pups. Then suddenly, the canines all looked up and quickly took shelter beneath the wreckage.

At almost the same moment, a tight V formation of five mecha flew over the gorge and Adrian. The outer four mechs where in imperial red, but different parts on each mecha had been painted white as well. On one it was the helmet, on another it was a shoulder-pad, The others had white detailing on their legs or arms. The mech flying at the head of the formation had the color scheme of its companions in reverse, with the mech being painted almost entirely white, with only its helmet being colored in imperial red.

As the mechs approached the crater, the four outer mecha pull up sharply and spread out some distance away around half the crater's perimeter, opposite to where the portmaster is waiting. The white mecha instead descents down to the crater, and settles down. After a moment, it's cockpit opens, and a figure leaps down to the ground. The figure wears a simple white pilot suit, though even from a distance it's clear that the suit has some kind of exoskeleton built in. The figure removes her helmet as she approaches the portmaster, revealing an old and deeply-lined face, with short grey hair.

"You are the portmaster, I assume?" She says as she stop a short distance away. "And you must be Yue." She nods towards Yue. "I am Ser Kay, the emperor's voice and eyes on this mission."

"Welcome to Avron, Ser Kay." the portmaster responds, keeping a neutral face as she does so.

"Thank you." Kay responds. "However, I don't think either of us have time for an extensive exchange of pleasantries, so let's get to business. What can you tell me about what happened here?" She gestures in the direction of the slowly settling cloud of dust and ash where Rustport used to be.

The portmaster sighs, then explains in short the discovery of the bombs, the decision to evacuate and the subsequent attack.

"You said that one of the bombs was damaged?" Ser Kay asks. "If that's so, it means they must have come from a stockpile of weapons salvaged after the breakaway war. They might even have come from this planet to begin with. And this corporation that worked with Ouroboros' end, they're a fairly major power in the Federation, right? It seems to me like whoever is behind this attempt to start a war has some major power within the federation."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

on mecha-identifaction:
    Spoiler: Adrian
    Show
    Those imperial mechs aren't recognized by Fluffy's internal database. You can roll knowledge(geography) if you want to see if Adrian himself knows something about them.

Spoiler: Zeke
    Show
    The silhouettes of the mechs match that of the WeissWritter third generation mech, which is used by the empire primarily for space-born patrols and special forces oprerations. There are some obvious alterations to these, however, including bulkier armor and larger flight engines.

Spoiler: Yue
    Show
    You've seen mecha somewhat like this one before. The empire uses them for long-range patrols and special forces operations. The Ophanim has fairly extensive databases for mecha-recognition, based in large part on data stolen by Ouroboros' end. Your mech identifies these as WeissWritter-HSw/Kay type mechs.

On the IC conversation. Kay certainly has more to say and to ask, but I also want to give you all the time to ask questions and give input as well. If I'm going too fast already, please do say so.

Last edited by DeTess; 2020-05-01 at 05:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Yue remarks in turn, bowing her head, "I am Yue, yes. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

She listens in on the initial assessment of the situation, then ser Kay's response. "It seems that whoever our perpetrators are, they were very much willing to play both sides. The attackers that we faced merely to arrive at Victory crater attempted to wear Imperial colours."

She shares images she pulled out of the combat recording with the four Zakus. "Would you be able to shed more light on the terrorists you are pursuing? Do these align with your expectations?"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

"It matches what we know of their capabilities, yes, and answers the question of why they didn't deploy any mecha during their attack on us. Before London they would deploy a three mecha squad during their raids, keeping one back to protect their ship. Luckily for you, you didn't have to face that lance." Kay responds. "As for the origin of these four mecha... could you give me the coordinates of this skirmish? I'll have my people salvage the wrecks and they should be able to determine their origin. Ouroboros had been silent since London, so they must have had some assistance to acquire these."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-05-01 at 05:52 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

A three mecha squad... that took Yue back to the days of the STX team. That could very well be who Kay is talking about too.

She glances to Kameko. "I have no problems providing that," and checks with the combat records again. Assuming there are no issues, she provides the details. It saves her the issue of having to tip Janus' identity, if they can find evidence on their own.

"Do you have any particular faces or names of those you were after?" she queries.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Kay takes a moment to relay the coordinates to her subordinates, then taps some commands on a small panel built in her pilot suit's arm. An image of an older man appears in front of her. The man is tall, with short grey hair, and several deep scars on his face. "This one is known only as the Adder, and is the groups leader. Furthermore..." She types some more commands, and the single image is replaced by about two dozen smaller ones of different people. "These are all known associates. This list is not exhaustive, as it is several years out of date."

Kameko quickly looked over the images, then pointed at one, showing an older, balding man in his fifties. "That one is dead. When the Latrodectus arrived here, the system defence force intercepted the ship. All they found was his corpse on the bridge."

"Do you still have this corpse?" Kay asks.

The portmaster shakes her head. "It was in the Rustport morgue, and that's pretty close to the centre of a radioactive crater right now."

"That's a shame." the imperial officer hands Kameko a small data-chip. "please circulate this list among your people, check if they've seen anything."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

To everyone but Yue, none of the people on this list look familiar (for those currently in mecha, the portmaster will send you the list as soon as she gets the data-chip). Yue is not on the list.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Yue clinically peruses the list, perhaps some part of her being relieved she, Leon and Fariha were not on there. They all got out before London... so Leon's message she could still hang onto as hope.

"You mentioned you were in pursuit of the Latrodectus earlier, ser Kay," Yue remarks. "Were your fleet engaged with it? From our perspective, the ship stopped here in Avron last, left for imperial space, and returned to Avron with naught but a single corpse."

She gestures. "And if your fleet didn't, is there anything you have to trace the ship's movement logs through imperial space?"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

"We had a single fast frigate shadowing it, but despite its appearance, the Latrodectus is both fast and stealthy. Luckily, or so we assumed at the time, we had managed to get a tracer on the ship, giving us time to gather a serious pursuit force to chase it into federation space, and once it looked like it had stopped on Avron, we went in after it." Ser Kay is silent for a moment. "We know for certain that the ship's crew boarded it, and it never stopped anywhere to allow it to off-load its crew, so its hard to believe that they could have just disappeared. Is there anyone here that was part of this interception and boarding operation?"

"No, that was done by our orbital defence force, and they're on their way out of the system." The portmaster answers. "However, I have no reason to think that they'd be involved in this."

"And wouldn't you have said the same about this corporation, Fujin, before you found they'd handled the bombs these terrorists used to level your colony?" Kay retorts.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-05-01 at 06:38 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"How cute. Besides the whole dismemberment thing" Adrian commented following the imperials back to the meeting.

"I wouldn't have" Adrian chimed in "Most corporations bigwigs are usually in for the money and don't risk their lives on the contract, thing that soldiers do. Theu've even got family here too. Besides, if the defence force had their hands in this, what was the point to trying to contact us to tell us they'll free us? Just to rub it in in case we managed to recover communications?" he mused a bit.
    "The Latrodectus had enough machine to keep four mechas fitted- it seems to be that they somehow got off here"

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

"These people arranged for one contingency, having a lance of mecha standing by in case you found out about the bombs and decided to leave. It's not at all hard to imagine that they'd planned for that failing to some degree too, with the defence force pretending to still be loyal to your colony, just in case." The imperial officer responds. "As for the motive for these corporation exectuvies, I've heard it said that war is good for business for those selling weapons."

While the discussion was happening, the light imperial carrier that had been part of the four-ship formation heading for Rustport a while back has once again descended, and seems to now be holding position close to where the Zakus attacked the convoy.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

"I agree on Fujin's chiefs. And honestly I don't overly care about the defense force- the end result is the same, wether they assumed to fail or not. We want to not have a war on our atmosphere, again, and you want to avoid a war. At least I think you do" they probably also both wanted to find Bernhard, but that wasn't something Adrian was going to say.
    "What can we do to ensure this?"

20. - Top - End - #260

"Well there's ways they could have gotten past Stork, but we shouldn't completely dismiss the idea of him being involved. I have no idea why, but much of this is confusing."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

"What you can do to stop a war from breaking out is very simple. Broadcast a statement about the truth, and hope it reaches enough people before this escalates. We'll provide you the equipment you need to make that broadcast." Kay responds. "However... Portmaster, were you already here when the breakaway war ended?"

The portmaster nods. "My father held sway over the port before I took over the job."

"What was the response of the federation to people salvaging highly destructive weapons, such as the Glasser rounds?" Kay asks.

"The federation put a bounty out for salvaging them, but also forbade selling them to anyone else. Or keeping them, for that matter." The portmaster explains.

"The rounds that where used here must have come from a salvaged stockpile. If they'd been stolen from the empire, they'd all have been intact. That means that, in addition to these terrorists, and the local Fujin executives, someone with a large amount of power in the Federation was involved, either providing the terrorists with these weapons, or hiding the fact that they had gone missing." Ser Kay starts pacing as she talks. "In addition, to be able to fully benefit from any war, Fujin's involvement had to be sanctioned and organized from a fairly high level in their corporation. So, in trying to spread the truth, you'd be opposed by a powerful corporation, and someone capable of hiding the transfer of nuclear bombs. At the very least."

"I'm not saying you shouldn't try anyway. In fact, any statement you provide will be important for limiting the scope of the war if it does break out. But it looks to me like you're facing a conspiracy that has the means to suppress or cast doubt on your message long enough for hostilities to kick off, and which could have the means to ensure you're silenced as well in the chaos that follows." Kay stops her pacing and turns towards the portmaster again. "If you or any of your people want it, I can offer the empire's protection. Those that accept it will be taken with us when we return to the empire. If any of them are wanted in the empire for crimes other than terrorism or war crimes then I'll personally ensure that those crimes are pardoned. I can also promise an exemption from being drafted if war with the federation does break out. They'll be expected to work just like anyone else, of course, but I daresay working in a modern shipyard or factory will be safer and more rewarding than digging through wrecks in the hope you'll find something you can sell so that you don't starve."

The portmaster raises an eyebrow at the offer. "And if we decide that we don't want the empire's protection?"

"I'll see to it that you get enough supplies to last two months. If the federation is going to send relief, that should last you long enough. If they don't..." The imperial officer shakes her head." I won't force any decision on you, but I suggest you give this offer serious consideration."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

"What I still don't understand..." Yue remarks, "When the Latrodectus came back to Rustport, there was a body in it. Kameko identified them as one of Ouroboros' End. Why murder one of your own, even as a smokescreen? It suggests some internal disagreement to me."

She doesn't really touch too much on the topic of whether to go with the Empire or not. Personally, she'd rather not go to the Empire, if at all possible.

"Right now, I would say Fujin is our investigation team's clear next course of action," Yue muses. "But for the rest of Rustport... that isn't a decision I can make... or any one person's, honestly." She looks to Kameko.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

"Portmaster, is there any known politician that has been known to be pushing for war? Not that there is much of a point in making up theories without proof, I guess" the Fluffy shrugged "We'll relay your offer but personally speaking I'd like to go to the Empire only on holidays. Do we know if the Latrodectus and Fujin's ship were damaged by the explosion?"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Kameko nods at Yue. "I agree, it's not my decision to make." She turns towards Ser Kay. "I'll make sure my people know of your offer, but it's going to take a while for decisions to be reached."

Kay nods. "I'll have a sufficiently powerful transmitter delivered to you within an hour. I'd like to hear how many people want to leave with us, and for how many people we'll need to provide supplies by dawn tomorrow. We can't afford to stick around longer than that. If that's all..."

The portmaster nods. "We'll contact you if anything else comes up."

As the imperial officer heads back to her mech, the portmaster turns to Adrian. "To answer your question, there have always been some hardline hawks in the government pushing for action against the empire. Recent tensions mean that the various populists are leaning that way too." She shrugs. "No clear clues there right now. As for the Fujin ship and the Latrodectus, the Fujin ship was rigged to explode." She gestures in the direction of the plume of smoke marking the location of the ship." I don't know about the Latrodectus though, its resting spot is obscured behind the mushroom cloud that used to be Rustport. Though if you have some time to check it out, I'd appreciate it."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

"Would you be able to share with us your findings of the downed mechs?" Yue does ask of Kay, before she leaves.

She looks towards the portmaster, then, once the imperial lady has left, speaks, "I think she is wise to decide to leave soon. If Stork comes here in full force, we may be caught in a battle none of us want, Federation and Empire alike." A pause, as she quietly sighs. "I personally would prefer to not be involved in either. The fringes are where people like me belong. But let us see how our options shake out."

On the comment of the Latrodectus though... "Would you like a hand with that, Adrian?"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

"If that's the case, we'll hear from each other later Kay!" Adrian waved goodbye with the robot's hand.

"Yeah, I'm gonna check on the Latrodectus- and yes, I'd like a hand. We weren't half bad last ship exploration. Zeke, you coming too?" Adrian prepared to take flight as soon as the others were ready.
    "Also, there's a cute family of jackals further down a gorge, if somebody's interested"

27. - Top - End - #267

Zeke would stay quiet during the conversation, taking the information all in. At the conclusion of it, and when Adrian asks if he's coming he would speak up. "I'll come along unless the portmaster needs me for something, but don't wait up as your much faster. I'd prefer there not to be a war, but if a fight comes to me I'm not going to run. I'm a soldier and fighting is what I do."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Travelling to the Latrodectus takes a bit of time, even for Fluffy, as the direct route is blocked by the still shimmering and highly radioctive craters covering what used to be Rustport and several of the larger wrecks surrounding the colony. The ship still appears to be intact, but it is also surrounded by a 5-mecha lance consisting of Zaku mark 2's in imperial colors. Several shuttles with imperial insignia have landed nearby as well, and there's quite a bit of activity, with people moving into and out of the ship, and setting up large floodlights and other equipment.

Adrian, being the first to arrive, notices that two of the imperial mecha seem to be paying attention to him, but no attempts to intercept or stop him are made, and the mecha don't take an agressive posture, even as he gets closer.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-05-02 at 03:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

"Looks like it's whole" Adrian comunicated to the others, then waved to the imperials.
    "Hi!" he contacted them "I'm Adrian from Avron, we came to check up on the Latrodectus. Found anything interesting?"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

"Jackals, huh?" Yue muses, but doesn't get much more than that. She proceeds with Adrian and peers as she watches the imperial activity around the Latrodectus.

"I wonder what they are looking for... it must be rather important to them if they would work through even the radioactive remnants around us."