New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Templest... Brain storming.

Now that I have your attention with that bad pun, I need some help. I am a total newbie to homebrew so....
    The Druid. Shape-shifter. Master of Many Forms. Even better shape-shifter. Swarm Lord. Swarm-shifter. Oozemaster. ...Just don't go there- trust me.

So DnD has a lot of shape shifting, but I crave something more! I'm looking for a (prestige?) class that can apply various templates the way druids shapeshift. Since my Home-Brew Kung Fu is weak, I was hoping you Vets could give me a hand brainstorming what this class would be like or if it would work.

*In case you missed it, Templest= Template+Templar+Tempest*
    **The Tempest is a Play**
    ***It's by Shakespeare***
    ****It's what Brave New World is named for****
    Last edited by TimeWizard; 2007-10-25 at 05:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Templest... Brain storming.

The Template Changer- a PrC designed mainly for non-casters who want to try templates out. For those who envy wildshape. For those who don't want to actually deal with a Shade/Vampire/Evil Incarnate, but want a piece of the power. (More then just diet wild-shape for Warrior/Adventurers!)

Basic Mechanic of Class: Adopt a template that is beneficial for the needs of the moment. A versatilist.

The notes I have on the Template Changer (templater for short): As a full round action that provokes an attack of oppertunity, the templater may adopt any template available in DnD. The primary result from a level in the templater is X amount of Template Points. Template Points (TP) are traded one a one-for-one basis with the Level Adjustment, so a template with +1 LA costs one TP. +3 LA= 3 TP. I have a sort of split decision between acquiring templates:

A) The templater is like a sorceror. He spends TP to learn a template (when he levels up), but can switch between known templates whenever he takes a full round action.

B) The templater is like a wizard. He has no limit to the number of known Templates, but must spend TP every time he shifts. The Templater has a 'pool' of TP, which is fully replenished when he rests for eight hours. Learning a new template comes from research which cost time and money.

In addition, some class features along the lines of:
    Twin Templates: Ability to have two templates active simultaneously.
    Speed Switich: Reduces time it takes to switch templates, Full round (AoO), Full round (no AoO), Standard, Move, Swift.

I'm thinking Moderate BAB, 4 Skill Points, D8 HP, 1 good save.

Needs Work: Balance, Class Skills, Saves.

Opinions and advice please!
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not have both the sorcerer inspired and wizard inspired versions?

One has fewer but easier accessed templates, the other has more versatility but they'll be doing a lot less templating.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

lets see, prestige class that shape shift?
    the Master transmorifist from complete arcane
    and master of many forms from complete adnevturer
    are just the start.
    anyway, look at the Geomancer prestige class in complete Divine.
    if you combine that with some type of Warlock advancement tree and ime sure you could make a realy cool class.
    Last edited by AjaxTorbin; 2007-10-25 at 07:47 PM.
    Confucius say:
    Spoiler
    Show
    War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
    Man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
    Man who run in front of car get tired, man who run behind car get exhausted, but man who run beside car, is adored

A man is only as old as the woman he feels.
    The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
    ~Groucho Marx (1895-1977)~