New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Mind of A Six-Year-Old

My wife teaches six-year-olds.
    They're not going to mistake a statue for a biological being and think that it needs a bandaid.

However, some of them have very vivid imaginations and their separation of imagination and reality is not as clear as an older child's (though clearer than a younger child's). They are willing to suspend disbelief in Santa and the Tooth Fairy. When playing with a doll that has a rip in it, they may insist to an adult that the doll needs a bandaid, even to the point of tears.

So, they might half-persuade themselves that a statue could benefit from a bandaid after wandering around in the woods, distressed, wondering why they have found a statue, and not knowing what else to do. After spending some time with no adults around and nobody but a statue to look to for help, they may anthropomorphize the statue and think (but not in so many words), "I don't really believe this band-aid will help, but I will pretend, because I don't know what else to do..."

I mean, even Tom Hanks drew a face on a volleyball... people start acting strangely when they are desperate.

Even so, I think six is at the upper range for this. I can more easily picture my precocious 3 year old acting this way.
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Mind of A Six-Year-Old

My daughter turns six in a couple months, and I could definitely see her sticking band-aids on a cracked statue. If I asked her why, though, the conversation would probably go something like this.

Me: "So uhhhh, what ya doing there?"
    Her: "I'm putting band-aids on his boo-boo."
    Me: "Do you think that'll help?"
    Her: "Yeah. I'm just pretending, though."
    Me: "You're pretending?"
    Her: "Yeah, he's not really hurt, I'm just PRETENDING he is though, so I put band-aids on him so he feels better."

She'd say that last part with about the same tone my boss would use sometimes with employees who ask 18 times how to perform a simple task even after 6 months of doing the same thing every day. A tone that says "I like you and everything, I'm trying not to be rude, but how are you not getting this still?"

She's got a very vivid imagination, but clearly distinguishes between fact and fantasy. I think most kids that age are the same way, even though they may not verbalize it when asked like she does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.