New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Drowtales: The Last Chapter

Previous Thread Drowtales: The Info Dump

Well, a new thread for the Last Chapter of Drowtales: The Moonless Age. Fittingly the last chapter is named "The End Of An Age". The Drowtales crew really is starting it off in epic fashion with a great cover page.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Drowtales: The Last Chapter

This is pretty awesome. We have Sharess, we have floaters, a massive summon, and Ariel looks very angry.

Back when they decided to drop the comic page format I wasn't very happy, but it has allowed for some beautiful things.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

wow, I haven't read this in a long time, I must get back into it. I barely remember anything.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    This is pretty awesome. We have Sharess, we have floaters, a massive summon, and Ariel looks very angry.
    Note quite Sharess. Someone else is inside there right now.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #5

Will Mel be there, I wonder?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Will Mel be there, I wonder?
    She doesn't seem to have left the fortress yet because Zhor would have left with her and he was still hanging around to glare at Snads. But Mel turned her back on Sands. Killing Ariel was apparently a bridge to far for Mel and I don't know how much support she will give Snads now.

7. - Top - End - #7

I think that they should take those cannons. There are many reasons, from their obvious utility, to their economic and symbolic value. The other option is destroying them to make sure they aren't stolen by some other faction, or recovered by Snads and used to shoot them in the back.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The latest.

Has to suck, needing to kill off a brainwashed puppet created out of your own sister. Even Shinae retained more of her former attachments.

9. - Top - End - #9

It's hard to tell because Zala has a billion children, but is that Saphala?

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

It's hard to tell because Zala has a billion children, but is that Saphala?
    According to the previous page, yes. In the previous chapter, it was revealed that she went through the merging ritual.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well, that was bloody impressive. I feel bad for Chrys right now.

12. - Top - End - #12

She even destroyed the steel bolts.

But now I wonder if she can survive. Back when she was captured as a child, she said that she could have killed Ariel with her sorcery, but it would have killed her, too. She also was already wounded, like now.

Sure, she's clearly stronger and has much better control, plus it's not her blood.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

She's strong enough to stand up. She's hurting, but I think the worst hurt is on the inside.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The street battles are over and Ariel and company won. Though it was hard fought and helped along by some of the general citizens of Chel. Banana was surprisingly the person that the battle turned on finally. All the sweetness seems to be turning her stomach though. Looks like Ariel (unknowingly) building a network of allies is working out better than Snad's building an organization of minions and puppets so far. No Diva yet, but I expect she will show a little later when things go down at Snad's HQ.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think Ariel just hit her "I'm not taking this *&^%$ anymore!" moment.

16. - Top - End - #16

I think she's turning into Quain. Is that the same Fallen who shot her with poison while she was jailed?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think she's turning into Quain. Is that the same Fallen who shot her with poison while she was jailed?
    Yeah, her name is Daxia and she's gone totally Nid all the while blaming everyone else for her own actions. Which I am sure ticks of Ariel even more.

18. - Top - End - #18

Weird to me that she'd willingly support a Val just because of a grudge with a lesser one (Ariel). Like, she's got to be in several thousand levels of denial to justify her actions. It's the kind of hypocritical character designed to be unilaterally despised.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Denial isn't just a river in Africa. There are unfortunately a lot of people in real life that do that to justify what they are doing.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Weird to me that she'd willingly support a Val just because of a grudge with a lesser one (Ariel). Like, she's got to be in several thousand levels of denial to justify her actions. It's the kind of hypocritical character designed to be unilaterally despised.
    I don't think that that was the reason. Back when Naal had just turned into a flying eyeball, she saw Daxia talk with a Sullisin who informed her of the fact that Snadhya could cure her taint, and Daxia manifested her interest, to the surprise of the Sullisin, who clearly just meant to pass her intelligence for the Sargh leadership.

http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=11144
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-10-11 at 08:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ariel is letting her powers out. And her enemies should be scared as all *^$#E!& But it's still good to see.

22. - Top - End - #22

It reminds me of a veeeery old setting page about absorption and shapechange. We have seen Ariel take Kalki's arm. This page I mentioned talked about fully absorbing a body and becoming twice your size. It doesn't have to be what's happening, as Ariel could just kill the lady without absorbing her, but I do wonder.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think it's a combination of both here. She just killed the lady (took off the head) and she could safely absorb some mass from the body as it's still technically alive for a few moments.

24. - Top - End - #24

Is that Nirnaya in the black armour? Doesn't she have one ear too many?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

An artificial or a new body are possibilities. Be one heck of a surprise if she turned and let the "rebels" pass.

26. - Top - End - #26

I like these last few pages. Mel was always something of a riddle. Or maybe it was just that the comic was about Ariel following Kel and Quain, and putting her in the camp opposing Mel, who wasn't strong or motivated enough to be a believable antagonist. But it's nice to get something from her point of view.

Now I wonder if Mel would have made for a better main character than Ariel. After all, her struggles are very clear. The only problem is her inexplicable subjection to Snadhya. But this could also be the place to explain why people flock to Snadhya.

27. - Top - End - #27

Eh, Mel never struck me as someone that was particularly motherly or held any attachments to Ariel. She's her daughter in name only but when push comes to shove, she doesn't stand by her daughter unless Ariel is subservient or obedient to Mel. In a family that cares most about earning respect and one's place in the hierarchy, Mel expects everything solely due to position by birth.

Topping it off with Mel just accepting the word of her lover without actually challenging it or trying to seek out anything for herself and we get a subpar villain, someone who really only exists as a tool to divide others. She's never really expressed agency in a meaningful way, and the perfect chance for her to do so was when Ariel was missing an arm and in pain.

I, for one, am thrilled that Ariel isn't even trying the diplomatic route with her mother. It is a bummer that Ariel interrupts the mind-link that was being established, but Mel hasn't really earned the knowledge of their survival. Nothing Mel's done would prove she'd be a positive influence in her kid's lives. She's too demanding and possessive to be a good role model or parent.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think Snad's SAN rating is about 0 right now. Naw, not ,

29. - Top - End - #29

Zhor wasn't kidding when he talked about insanity.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

I also wonder how Zhor was privy to knowing that Snadhya'rune was insane when as the then heir to the empress that information would have been a well kept secret from most people? Bear in mind that Snadhya'rune is supposed to be very good at presenting a facade of benevolence to the public. Are we about to discover that Zhor is actually Snadhya'rune's father?