New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Drowtales: The Last Chapter

"Here we go again"
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #62

Once again, Sillice proofs herself a cockroach. It's nice that Diva accepted Nishi's actions (after all, she only seemed to wish Snadhya's death), although I am not very clear on how much Nishi has been told.

The question now is the treatment of the tainted. Sillice, Nishi, Nau, all Sharen men except the headmaster, all trained female summoners in Chel, and an untold number of commoners are going to die. Shasana and Snadhya are dead, Kiel is gone, and I am not aware of anyone else who actually knew how to merge with the seed the right way.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nau has been fine so far, and while Kiel never fully understood it, she advised him that his seed would become to him what he considered it to be.

Sil'lice's demon seed came from one of Kiel's "demon princes", which are basically human demons, so even if it consumes her, she won't become a beast.

Sil'lice and Diva'ratrika have been taking refuge in Sha'sana old refuge, so it's possible that they've had access to her notes.

4. - Top - End - #64

Wow, in such a devastated environment, full of displaced people trapped among the ruins, a tracking technology would sure come in handy.

5. - Top - End - #65

RedWizardGuy

So that really is Zala'ess? Wasn't she tainted? How did her eyes turn green?

Is her tail a Jaal'darya modification, a decorative golem, or a demonic mutation?

6. - Top - End - #66

I share all of those questions. She also has large canines now, and her foot seems to have claws, so I think that she might be literally turning into a dragon. I have no idea of why that would happen, but apparently dragons derived from Drow or elves http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=6943. The dragon met by Vaelia on the surface had thumbs, as the raiders observed.
    In general, the changes match the ones seen in the guest pages http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=13084 I assume that the drowussu killed and sealed Sabrror's demon.
    Still, it doesn't explain why this is happening to Zala. Maybe she underwent the procedure to become a Guardian, like the dragon of Mimained? http://wiki.drowtales.com/images/3/3...8guardians.jpg Or maybe the Sharen literally have dragon blood, and this is a related incident/miracle/freak occurrence.
    Otherwise, it would need to be a very special demon seed, because her looks or behaviour don't really recall those of other demons.

EDIT: I've read a theory that she was mutated the same way Kiel was (also an evolved tainted), because of the massive demonic activity unleashed by Snadhya before dying.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2021-09-02 at 09:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67

RedWizardGuy

Demon mutation cause of the nethergate is all but confirmed, but that still doesn't explain why her eyes are green instead of red now. I think tainted shapeshifters can still change their eyecolors, but that's about it.

8. - Top - End - #68

RedWizardGuy

The latest.

Yes... earlier chapters seemed to hint that Ariel was the chosen one of some sort of prophecy. Even after they retconned the Kyorl's future sight to mere mind reading, it was still implied that Ariel was somehow central to Snadhya'rune's plans and that her opposing them would mess everything up. In the end, it all came to naught. I can only assume Kern had to rewrite a lot of stuff and the old plot didn't fit in.

This page is probably as much of a conclusion to that plot thread as we are going to get.

9. - Top - End - #69

I've been trying to follow the ending, but I've completely lost the thread. I read through the whole comic in mostly one go about a year ago, but there are just too many characters (the art shifts don't help) and plot threads that just sort of drift in and out.

If someone was going to re-write the whole thing, it could definitely use some tightening up. Which is probably most web comics (I lost interest in Sluggy Freelance at least a decade ago). But this one seems to have at least made an attempt to tell a finite story with an ending, so it stands out a bit more to me.

10. - Top - End - #70

RedWizardGuy

The last chapter felt messy and lackluster, but at least it made it. One more chapter left, the epilogue. If I remember correctly, the next story is supposed to focus on a different continent where the elves were changed by demons even more than the drow of this one.

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    I've been trying to follow the ending, but I've completely lost the thread. I read through the whole comic in mostly one go about a year ago, but there are just too many characters (the art shifts don't help) and plot threads that just sort of drift in and out.

If someone was going to re-write the whole thing, it could definitely use some tightening up. Which is probably most web comics (I lost interest in Sluggy Freelance at least a decade ago). But this one seems to have at least made an attempt to tell a finite story with an ending, so it stands out a bit more to me.
    The comic is massive. I'm not sure of how many pages it's made up of, but I wouldn't be surprised, if it were around 10,000. And the authors definitely added a lot of chaff (cameos) which held the comic financially afloat, but made the story even more difficult to follow. The conclusion is real, though; I was surprised at certain threads being picked up, like Baliir's (the anarchist giant berserker), in a way that is organic with how Chel has been evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    The last chapter felt messy and lackluster, but at least it made it. One more chapter left, the epilogue. If I remember correctly, the next story is supposed to focus on a different continent where the elves were changed by demons even more than the drow of this one.
    The news said that this won't really be a unitary epilogue chapter like the prologue, more like a series of epilogues for different caracters.

About the last chapter, I didn't find it too bad, but it certainly paid for past mistakes. In general, the first chapters were focused on people, while the later chapters were really about events. Forgetting to deal with people first brought about a number of writing blunders; important events happening off-screen and being barely mentioned; and especially Snadhya never being really developed.

We started with Ariel's interesting story. Ariel won pretty early, surviving a lot of challenges and finally killing Mirkin (Kiel's brother), which made Quain recognise her. After that, the story started to follow Chrystel, who, after being imprisoned, discovered Sillice was alive, escaped, soft-confronted her own mother, then went back to Sillice, who gave her more doubts and told her to check out the school. At the school she finds evidence of Snadhya's foul dealings, in a climax that ends with Naal's death and a defeat. After that, Kiel, who has lost her best friend, goes back home and decides to take matters into her own hands, killing her clan's second-in-command and making her own bid for power. In the meantime, Sillice has revealed herself to the world, swearing bloody vengeance on those who framed her into exile.

These were all good stories (although Kiel quickly got too fourth-wall breaking for this sort of serious epic story). The shifts from a character to the other happened at the right time. But I'm not sure Kern actually noticed how well he was going, and why. Even before the first time-skip, there were mistakes like the voyage to the surface (did that change Ariel? Or did she just get stronger? What did Faen really offer to the story, after she was saved?) or that crazy chapter with a million named Vloz and Kyorl killing each other (Baliir's origin). After the timeskip, however... well, as I said, it was more about making things happen, than telling someone's story, although that thing with Nishi breaking the mold of her own character was great. But that's where weird structure strikes: Nishi didn't speak or show up much in this final arc, in spite of the fact that she must have become one of the most enjoyable characters, and I think anyone would have wanted to see more of her. Instead, she gets captured and then freed just at the right time to make even her previous absence irrelevant.

That Dutanvir, too, Minka: he went through an impossible ordeal, and then became the ruler of the only establishment in Chel where to produce dragons, but wasn't really used afterwards. Or Templar Tirade, that tainted kyorl Chiri tried to kill: he joined the Sargh, but wasn't used again. We get bits of info here and there, but no satisfying plot for characters we cared about.

BTW, I think I still have some unposted chapter reviews. Maybe I'll post them, now that the story is really almost over.

12. - Top - End - #72

On one hand, I'm happy that this epilogue was posted; Nyoka, Ashuwhatever and Tralyn were characters that loomed large in the background, but were never developed beyond their plot function. So it's nice to see them handle their own business. On the other hand, I wish these interactions had been integrated in the comic proper as a way to prepare Diva's reincarnation and Kiel leaving the school.

13. - Top - End - #73

Well, that's a heck of a throwback! http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=7691