New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: XCom Chimera Squad

It should be noted that the is bureaucratic daylight between XCOM and the XCOPS. The rulers of city 31 seem to be a "Reclamation Council", which you (the chief) work for. Some of the officers happen to be retired military. You're under a civilian authority
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    It should be noted that the is bureaucratic daylight between XCOM and the XCOPS. The rulers of city 31 seem to be a "Reclamation Council", which you (the chief) work for. Some of the officers happen to be retired military. You're under a civilian authority
    The difference to me is of scale rather than anything else. In XCOM 1, you work for the world governments, and try to keep the world together in the face of alien invasion. In XCOP, you work for the borough governments, and try to keep the city together in the face of racist invasion.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The difference to me is of scale rather than anything else. In XCOM 1, you work for the world governments, and try to keep the world together in the face of alien invasion. In XCOP, you work for the borough governments, and try to keep the city together in the face of racist invasion.

Grey Wolf
    I'd say that we don't know Grey Phoenix's motivations. They could be like that faction from Enemy Within that's just using circumstances for power. Hell they could be former Advent collaborators
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    As I said in another thread, the XCOM games have generally been quite ironic, in the sense that the story and the gameplay are about two different things. Storywise you're certainly supposed to be the underdog, always fighting against impossible odds with inferior technology, as you lead a disparate group of free-willed individuals against mind controlled alien drones.

In gameplay your weapons are pretty much always on par with, or are strictly better than, the aliens', even though they're built from alien patterns by like 8 people in a garage. Your soldiers are, compared to most aliens, absurdly hard to kill, to the point where a mission with any deaths on your part is both a rarity and a failure. Oh, and of course you're literally mind controlling all of your soldiers in the field, i.e. exactly what the aliens are supposed to be doing.
    Play on Impossible Ironman mode. That'll clear this feeling up right away.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #65

Flumph

I'd say that we don't know Grey Phoenix's motivations. They could be like that faction from Enemy Within that's just using circumstances for power. Hell they could be former Advent collaborators
    It's likely Grey Phoenix won't be the only agitators you have to deal with. The game looks to be taking several cues from Apocalypse, and it may well also have multiple factions you have to deal with like that game did.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Play on Impossible Ironman mode. That'll clear this feeling up right away.
    "Play on a super hard difficulty" isn't really a good answer to "the game doesn't feel like the gameplay matches the story."
    Lot of games have trouble with feeling like you're unstoppable, rather than that the enemy is actually challenging. But especially for a tactical combat game there are a lot of ways to make an enemy feel overwhelming and powerful. The game goes from too easy to at regular to painfully annoying at higher difficulty. But it isn't annoying in a "they're very tactically powerful and hard to beat" it is just "they've got really big numbers and one bad RNG is death."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    "Play on a super hard difficulty" isn't really a good answer to "the game doesn't feel like the gameplay matches the story."
    Lot of games have trouble with feeling like you're unstoppable, rather than that the enemy is actually challenging. But especially for a tactical combat game there are a lot of ways to make an enemy feel overwhelming and powerful. The game goes from too easy to at regular to painfully annoying at higher difficulty. But it isn't annoying in a "they're very tactically powerful and hard to beat" it is just "they've got really big numbers and one bad RNG is death."
    When one of the complaints is "Your soldiers are, compared to most aliens, absurdly hard to kill", then I'd say that playing in highest difficulty where getting hit with their laser is instant death is a decent match of gameplay and story.

Not that I agree with the original assessment, mind you, but if we agree that is a valid complaint, playing on a difficulty that eliminates it seems to be a reasonable answer to it.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-04-19 at 08:52 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    where getting hit with their laser is instant death is a decent match of gameplay and story.
    But that is the problem part. That doesn't make the game better, especially not on a squad based tactical game. If it were a large scale strategy game like Starcraft, then that would be a reasonable method.

"One hit death" from virtually everything is not good design. It also stops making sense when you've gotten to later game where you have much of their technology.

It also doesn't "work" for the vast majority of players, so a game design where only a small sub-set of your playerbase sees the "real" game is just bad. So making a design that keeps them powerful, but not rocket-tag, is a better way to go. An initiative based system, rather than a "you go, I go" system also helps, since damage isn't so stacked, it spreads out a bit more and both sides have a chance to react to each other, which is key to tactics.

With so much of it though, it isn't really anything that can be fixed with one or two changes, it has to be a lot of changes, none necessarily being large on it's own, but how they work together.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

But that is the problem part.
    Don't complain to me, then. Make your case to the person that made the argument. The closest I've come was bringing up Langrisser, which has none of those issues.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-04-19 at 09:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

I wasn't even complaining folks. It was but an observation that there's a bit of a mismatch, which I find more amusing than anything. I mean I'd be very curious to play a game built around actually taking 10:1 losses on the regular, but that would probably turn out as some sort of moody rumination on guerrilla warfare, not a pop culture alien stompfest.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say playing on the superhard difficulty does change the gameplay to match the story though. On impossible your guns and technology is inferior to the aliens. On impossible, your troops aren't more durable than the invading aliens. And on impossible you'll take lots of casualties. You'll also likely lose the campaign because it is really hard.

The game becomes a desperate race to reverse engineer the alien tech to give your troops a chance of victory. Of playing a desperate underdog trying to win against horrible odds.

Also I'd protest the 'they've got really big numbers' part. The HP adjustments are pretty small, usually just 1 or 2 more HP. But that's enough to actually increase the tactical challenge because now you can't depend on killing an alien in 1 shot. You almost always need 2 shots to kill pretty much everything. So no more running up beside the alien for the perfect flank and gunning it down.

Not going to argue the bad RNG is death though. Holy crap that can just brutalize you.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Re: Story and Gameplay Mismatch, I've never really gotten a sense from the tone of the games that you're supposed to be horribly outmatched. I've always gotten more of a "The Aliens are Scary, BUT THE ELITE MEN AND WOMEN OF XCOM ARE UP TO THE CHALLENGE!" feel from things.

maybe in Xcom Classic you had a bit more of that sensation, when you had a bigger starting squad of rookies who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn slowly crawling a massive farm map looking for the 3 sectoids that were wandering around, and sometimes a plasma bolt would just fly out of nowhere and one of your rookies would drop, but as of Firax-com, the vibe has pretty much always been "Elite Millitary Force Fighting Aliens".

Like, the only YOU ARE HORRIBLY OUTMATCHED bit of the narrative is the idea that the conventional forces of Earth are horribly outmatched offscreen, which is why a team of four people armed with perfectly conventional weapons and technology have to get called up when an uncouth sectoid street gang takes over the 7-11. Otherwise, it's the same sleight-of-hand basically every video game (Exception power-trip games like the recent DOOM series) does, which is to present the enemy as a theoretically overwhelming force that just happens to only engage you in chunks you can reliably defeat without suffering permanent loss. Like, if ALL nine sectoids in the 7-11 fought you at once then you'd be overwhelmed, fortunately they hang around in groups of 3, so your 4-man team can always have a numerical advantage.

It's a much bigger mismatch in Xcom 2, where you're supposed to be a scrappy force of elite badass guerillas that wouldn't stand a chance if Advent was ever able to focus on you, and you kind of feel that sometimes, when the mission involves achieving some objective and evacuating in the face of escalating waves of endless reinforcements, but then just as often your objective is to clear the map of enemies, which kind of works against it.

But yeah, despite the memetic reputation for difficulty that presents XCOM as some sort of SUPER HARD GAME ONLY FOR ELITE TACTICAL GENIUSES! the tone and narrative of the game matches the gameplay pretty well.
    Last edited by BRC; 2020-04-20 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Harassment in the workplace.
    Show

Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-04-20 at 04:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

It was pointed out that Torque is a mini-snek from what we've seen of her in all the gameplay footage. I'm thinking that it's more of a "we resized everyone to make it look less weird" than it having any lore reason.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

perhaps she's related to the neo-vipers made by the Viper-king mating with regular vipers?

... man. must suck that the viper-king is gone now.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Colossus in the Playground

It was pointed out that Torque is a mini-snek from what we've seen of her in all the gameplay footage. I'm thinking that it's more of a "we resized everyone to make it look less weird" than it having any lore reason.
    Well, according to her bio she's an arctic born snake, who is for infiltration, so it would make sense for her to be smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    perhaps she's related to the neo-vipers made by the Viper-king mating with regular vipers?

... man. must suck that the viper-king is gone now.
    That's entirely possible, actually. Do they ever give more lore to the Rulers other than "Viper-King ****s"?

Random aside while searching up this, I found someone who tried to edit Torque's bio to make her a man but they forgot to hit all the pronouns. Nerds are dumb.

17. - Top - End - #77

That would make Toque an intermediate step between Thin Man and XCOM 2 viper, weird.

As per the Viper king they were really explicit about being the only one at the time he was released. Torque was born before Gatecrasher so the timelines wouldn't match up.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

h'uh.

wonder how the alien populations are going then. we've only seen one male viper, and one female berzerker. you think they have different reproductive abilities then we do? are they self-making clones somewhere? or are they just going to be the last generation of their kind, just living the best lives they can while they can?

i'm assuming hybrids are still fertile. they come in both male and female, and while made in vats, seem to be at least a good chunk human.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

wonder how the alien populations are going then. we've only seen one male viper, and one female berzerker. you think they have different reproductive abilities then we do?
    Have you seen Jurassic Park? Alternatively, the defeated ships had non-combat population capable of reproduction. Just because front line troops are predominately one sex does not mean the species is.

Not that I think the game will even bother to acknowledge the issue, never mind answer it.

Grey Wolf

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I like that the game acknowledge subtly that the sectoids, mutons, snakemen, etc.. Were all victims of the Etherials.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I like that the game acknowledge subtly that the sectoids, mutons, snakemen, etc.. Were all victims of the Etherials.
    That was already the case in XCOM 1, though - see the story mission which you walk though a "museum" of the races the Etherials have collected and "improved" in their quest to find the perfect balance of psionic powers and body strength.

If anything, I kinda missed that angle in XCOM 2.

Grey Wolf

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

i'm not sure if it was in 1 or 2, but wasn't thee mention that muton's may have joined voluntarily? I recall something about tribal tattoos or something.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

i'm not sure if it was in 1 or 2, but wasn't thee mention that muton's may have joined voluntarily? I recall something about tribal tattoos or something.
    I don't remember that at all, so it might be 2 - I've only played it through once, vs the half-dozen of 1.

Grey Wolf

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

just looked through the wiki. closest i found was a mention of "ritualistic markings and some tattoos" which according to Valen, just hint at some tribalistic past. that's about it. a lot of stuff about them being genetically engineered for war though. so i'm probably in the wrong there.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Oh and I'd like to point out that Zerkers have been all-female since at least EU.
    Truly the forgotten waifu.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

h'uh... did not know that. i learned today.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

If I remember my lore correctly the aliens were genetically modified/surgically modified all the way back in UFO Defense.

28. - Top - End - #88

Flumph

Yeah, the Sectoids were noted as being genetically modified, and both Floaters and Mutons were cybernetically enhanced.

It doesn't note anything special about Snakemen or Ethereals in that regard.

In XCOM2 the first encounter with a Muton it talks about how they've been changed in the years since the invasion (they're leaner and more agile).

So yes, much evidence of tinkering by the ethereals.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

In terms of setting expectations. given the price point and announcement shortly before release, if I get as much enjoyment out of this as I did from the Tactical Legacy Pack (that WotC dlc with the 4 mini-campaigns) I'll be WELL satisfied with my purchase. :-)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

FYI, if you are into this kind of thing, Christopher Odd has started publishing a Let's play of XCOPs. If nothing else, it is a good way of how the mechanics work beyond the hints in the trailer. Beware story spoilers, of course.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-04-23 at 08:20 AM.