New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: XCom Chimera Squad

Metacritic seems to be settling on "It's a smaller-scale xcom with more narrative but less feature-rich than WotC".

So yah,pretty much what everyone wanted out of the thing.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Metacritic seems to be settling on "It's a smaller-scale xcom with more narrative but less feature-rich than WotC".

So yah,pretty much what everyone wanted out of the thing.
    Honestly so far, the only thing this game doesn't have that I want is more aliens, and for the aliens to be more unique.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

well that's annoying. i see people are playing it, so i buy it. and it tells me i can't install it yet because it's not out yet? Steam is saying i need to wait another 9 hours?

was there some big game-breaking bug that they need to patch or something?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    well that's annoying. i see people are playing it, so i buy it. and it tells me i can't install it yet because it's not out yet? Steam is saying i need to wait another 9 hours?

was there some big game-breaking bug that they need to patch or something?
    If people are playing it in YouTube, they've probably been given advance copies for review/PR. Alternatively, it could have been scheduled for release at different times by country/region.

Consider yourself lucky it's just 9 hours. Thor knows how long I'll have to wait for a mac port, assuming I get one at all.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #95

The game literally comes out tomorrow for me, so yeah these are definitely review copies.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-04-23 at 01:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    If people are playing it in YouTube, they've probably been given advance copies for review/PR. Alternatively, it could have been scheduled for release at different times by country/region.

Consider yourself lucky it's just 9 hours. Thor knows how long I'll have to wait for a mac port, assuming I get one at all.

Grey Wolf
    Just bootcamp it. It's what all the cool kids do.

(Admittedly I hardly use Windows on mine any more as I've a proper gaming unit now, but it's there if I want it)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Just bootcamp it. It's what all the cool kids do.
    That would require me to buy a copy of windows and, worse, have to support it. Not worth it. If it comes out in Mac, I'll get it. If not, well, plenty of other things I can do with my time.

And yes, I know that windows is not the terrible OS of yesteryear. But it is still increasing the amount of support time I have to put into a hobby, and that's just not something I want to do.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

Really liking it. Only a little in but it's way more intense than any other Firaxis XCOM. Cause you're either in the middle of a firefight usually outnumbered or you're setting up a breach to go into the next firefight no downtime no times when you're just looking for somebody to shoot.

Course that means that overwatch has gone from the cornerstone of the game to a situational choice.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Name_Here View Post
    Really liking it. Only a little in but it's way more intense than any other Firaxis XCOM. Cause you're either in the middle of a firefight usually outnumbered or you're setting up a breach to go into the next firefight no downtime no times when you're just looking for somebody to shoot.

Course that means that overwatch has gone from the cornerstone of the game to a situational choice.
    Honestly, good riddance to that cornerstone and the consequent "move one square forward and overwatch" strategy it caused. This solution is so much better than the "you have X turns to complete the mission" approach.

I've been watching the LP I linked, and I have to say this feels a lot more fun to play. I appreciate that walking through a map looking for enemies had a tension of its own, but too often that tension turned to tediousness, in my experience. Cutting to the chase is much better, and the mechanic that allows enemies to escape to later encounters retains the danger of fighting two pods at once, so even that is retained, partially.

Grey Wolf

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, good riddance to that cornerstone and the consequent "move one square forward and overwatch" strategy it caused. This solution is so much better than the "you have X turns to complete the mission" approach.

I've been watching the LP I linked, and I have to say this feels a lot more fun to play. I appreciate that walking through a map looking for enemies had a tension of its own, but too often that tension turned to tediousness, in my experience. Cutting to the chase is much better, and the mechanic that allows enemies to escape to later encounters retains the danger of fighting two pods at once, so even that is retained, partially.

Grey Wolf
    That is great to hear. I agree that cover-hopping progression was really tedious, and the timer mechanic was a failed attempt at forcing more action.

Just giving the initiative to the player, and balancing around a breach opening move is awesome. I hope it proves still good on the long run. Maybe with the occasional "hunt and destroy" missions to randomize Gameplay

11. - Top - End - #101

Grey Wolf
    You will feel like you messed up badly as you play since you're constantly in the worst case scenario for previous games but you can't beat the price point of $10 for really high paced XCOM

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Name_Here View Post
    you can't beat the price point of $10 for really high paced XCOM
    (FYI, that's a discounted price - it will go up to $20 before long)

13. - Top - End - #103

ElfMonkGuy

I have to say, I really like the new turn system in this game; alternating between allies and enemies makes the combat feel a lot more dynamic and has more back-and-forth action than each team taking turns. Love the breach system compared to searching for pods of enemies, as other people have said.

14. - Top - End - #104

My only problem with this game so far is that some of the stuff is very unclear.

Godmother can get an extra action this turn if she does her Alpha Strike breaching move! What does that mean? So far every time I've done this it has not actually changed anything. Stunned... appears to do nothing, as every time I've stunned an enemy it has had a full turn still. Why is Toxic Greetings so short range and limited to breaching, and what do all the various colours mean when aiming, outside of breach phase?

Otherwise this game is pretty damn solid. Torque just disabling an entire enemy feels really good, and Zephyr (despite being a Skirmisher expat) is basically a Templar from XCom 2 but without any of that prissy mind magic. Instead she just ****ing punches everyone to death.

I also really like the character writing and hope we get more of it please. Verge hailing a cab to a hostage situation is hilarious and I want more character STUFF. They made these characters and they're pretty unique and cool and I'd like more interaction please.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

(FYI, that's a discounted price - it will go up to $20 before long)
    I wonder how much this will help boost or lower their revenue over time.

This is a great influx of cash Firaxis. They will have a lot of of sales in the last 3 weeks than they could have had in 6 months at full price.

I wonder if it's the future of gaming. Low price, high budget bite size game that are constantly tweaked for more updates and experimental mechanics.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Stunned... appears to do nothing, as every time I've stunned an enemy it has had a full turn still.
    i think what it does is delay or move down their turn. they still get a full turn, but you get to have another hero take a turn before that.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be a lot better than big budget games having to put in $100 of DLC just to have a chance at recovering their production costs.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I wonder how much this will help boost or lower their revenue over time.

This is a great influx of cash Firaxis. They will have a lot of of sales in the last 3 weeks than they could have had in 6 months at full price.

I wonder if it's the future of gaming. Low price, high budget bite size game that are constantly tweaked for more updates and experimental mechanics.
    I hope so. A quick, less resource and personnel intensive side game that is sold at a lower price is ingenious. It's a way to drum up excitement FOR the big thing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i think what it does is delay or move down their turn. they still get a full turn, but you get to have another hero take a turn before that.
    Aaah, okay. I don't think that's true because when Verge got stunned on his turn he only had one action.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Stunning has a counter. Being stunned makes you lose as many action as the stun counter. Virgil rarely makes a lvl2 stun.
    Extra actions on breach are very noticeable when your last guy in gets to shoot before your first guy takes his turn.

My main issue with the game so far is that it sometimes crash when enemy backup breach in. And if I play ironman, the crash may prevent enemy from even breaching in after I reload. Wich makes missions where you have to hold against X waves unwinnable and trash the whole campaign.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Stunning has a counter. Being stunned makes you lose as many action as the stun counter. Virgil rarely makes a lvl2 stun.
    Extra actions on breach are very noticeable when your last guy in gets to shoot before your first guy takes his turn.

My main issue with the game so far is that it sometimes crash when enemy backup breach in. And if I play ironman, the crash may prevent enemy from even breaching in after I reload. Wich makes missions where you have to hold against X waves unwinnable and trash the whole campaign.
    I've had a Viper get stunned for two turns and take a full turn so I don't really know what the deal is. As for the bonus action... that's not what it means by bonus action I'm pretty sure.

Another thing I'd like to know is "how do I bring up info cards on my enemy" like I can for my units. That's kind of necessary to knowing what any of these units do.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

The game is real fun so far. Love the breach, hate goddamn enemy units with goddamn armor.

However, I have to say the "cop simulator" comes through a bit strong when I have 4 agents ganging up beating down a suspect.

On the other hand, I've had a round where I tagged and bagged 3 hostiles in a single round, ending the fight, and oh man that was sweet. I love the capture mechanic; extremely thematic.

22. - Top - End - #112

However, I have to say the "cop simulator" comes through a bit strong when I have 4 agents ganging up beating down a suspect.
    FYI Torque is a LOOSE CANNON who has THE MAYOR UP MY ASS because that squeeze is lethal damage and also auto-kills the last unit on the map if its squeezed. But she gets results, damn it.

Also I may be spamming tongue grab every turn to get the "Get over here" line to play.

Anyway, kinda hit a wall at what seems about the quarter mark?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Picked crazy advent cult for the first investigation. Their HQ is a relatively well-balanced area leading to a brutal boss fight.
    Well it's just a brutal boss fight when it's only a Mec, various goons, a boss, and the first andromedon I've seen.

BUT THEY ALSO HAVE REINFORCEMENTS ON THE FIRST TURN OF AN ANDROMEDON AND 2 CHRISSIES.
    Do you know what happens if you prevent reinforcements?
    They spawn. a. GATEKEEPER on you.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

23. - Top - End - #113

FYI Torque is a LOOSE CANNON who has THE MAYOR UP MY ASS because that squeeze is lethal damage and also auto-kills the last unit on the map if its squeezed. But she gets results, damn it.

Also I may be spamming tongue grab every turn to get the "Get over here" line to play.

Spoiler
    Show
    Picked crazy advent cult for the first investigation. Their HQ is a relatively well-balanced area leading to a brutal boss fight.
    Well it's just a brutal boss fight when it's only a Mec, various goons, a boss, and the first andromedon I've seen.

BUT THEY ALSO HAVE REINFORCEMENTS ON THE FIRST TURN OF AN ANDROMEDON AND 2 CHRISSIES.
    I have concerns reading this, since I picked Sacred Coil second. Hopefully powerleveling the attack gremlin lady will help with that...

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's my own steam review, which I think covers the essential of what is truly different in the gameplay loop:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    The new game is smaller, but tighter. It's not "small so there's less to do", it's "small because you are always fighting in a submarine", which offers very interesting gameplay. Instead of carefully preparing for contact with the enemy, you are just given an outright first round of battle, with random bonuses based on randomness, team abilities and equipment.

In a way, it's like you benefit from a proper pod-ambush in the old XCOM, but you don't have to spend 20 minutes carefully moving on the map in the case you might cause an encounter. There is a real victim however, and it's the scope of large-scale battle. You can't have backup come around in 2-3 rounds to flank the enemy. Everything is tight, and I could see how it might suffocate the tactical instinct of certain veterans.

It's a good buy for the price, even more so when it was 50%. Whatever problem I've had with this game were easily forgiven by the 15 CAD bribe Firaxis put on the sales price.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

I like the breach mechanic. The initiative is going to take some getting used to, but I think it's probably a better choice for this sort of room-cleary thing than the usual system. Given some time to adapt however, I can see being able crowd control right through a round, which is both awesome, and an interesting tactical challenge to pull off. I do like the move to a strictly turn based strategy layer, rather than the hurry-up-and-wait system. Makes the decisions a lot crisper, and fits with the digital board game feel XCOM generally goes for.

Unfortunately people keep talking, and it's at least 90% as painful as I was afraid it would be.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

26. - Top - End - #116

I do love Torque quite a bit of that coming from the way that the other hybrids have bios where they were xcom informants or fought with XCOM.

Torque spent her time hunting and killing XCOM until she became friends with colonel Kelly

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah that was just crazy unfair especially with the leader running around slicing your dudes up. Was a crazy battle.

27. - Top - End - #117

The real question is what did Whisper do to deserve how he's treated?

Was he ADVENT's head of puppy kicking? Orphan Incineration Specialist?
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118

The real question is what did Whisper do to deserve how he's treated?

Was he ADVENT's head of puppy kicking? Orphan Incineration Specialist?
    I haven't gotten any more conversations involving Torque but I honestly, genuinely believe it's going to be snake titties. Something involving those.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

In wished the game allowed for flashbang breaches tho. It's such a standard manoeuvrer, i wonder why the Devs either didn't think of it, rejected it, or took it out

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

In wished the game allowed for flashbang breaches tho. It's such a standard manoeuvrer, i wonder why the Devs either didn't think of it, rejected it, or took it out
    They do. You need the flashbang breach on your second slot person.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.