New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Improvised weapons

So I was reading through Complete Warrior and saw the Drunken Master, and their ability that allows them to use anything (within reason) without taking non-proficiency penalties.
    My question: Is there any way besides Drunken Master to get this ability? (I like it ever so much.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Improvised weapons

Hmmm...homebrew a feat with similar prereqs to those of the Drunken Master class?

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drat, now to convince DM that it's a good idea...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Just present it in a reasonable fashion, with reasonable prereqs, and most DMs won't shoot it down, if anything, most might want you to tweak it a bit. Unless your DM is a "by the book" rule Nazi.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ask if you can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Improvised weapons). And when using improvised weapons, compare them to things in the books. I have a character who's ended up wielding a ten-foot length of steel on a regular basis, which we classed as a greatclub.

Was really helpful against a giant ambulatory cannonball... bare fists just don't help much vs them.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Ask if you can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Improvised weapons). And when using improvised weapons, compare them to things in the books. I have a character who's ended up wielding a ten-foot length of steel on a regular basis, which we classed as a greatclub.

Was really helpful against a giant ambulatory cannonball... bare fists just don't help much vs them.
    More like great club with reach... and heavier, by alot. I think that would be heavy though. I mean, a cubic inch of steel is like a quarter pound. And if its 10 ft (120 inches) * 3 * 4 (thats probably too small to support itself too) thats 1440 cubic inches.. weighing in at over 400lbs! Thats crazy strength! and over 5d6 damage by Complete Warriors' ruling.
    Last edited by Enguhl; 2007-10-24 at 08:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Enguhl View Post
    More like great club with reach... and heavier, by alot. I think that would be heavy though. I mean, a cubic inch of steel is like a quarter pound. And if its 10 ft (120 inches) * 3 * 4 (thats probably too small to support itself too) thats 1440 cubic inches.. weighing in at over 400lbs! Thats crazy strength! and over 5d6 damage by Complete Warriors' ruling.
    Well, we applied some handwavium. Sometimes fun trumps science.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Enguhl View Post
    Science has no place in a world where dragons breathe fire, gods walk the earth, and your neighbor can stop time by waving his hands and mumbling something under his breath.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

More like great club with reach... and heavier, by alot. I think that would be heavy though. I mean, a cubic inch of steel is like a quarter pound. And if its 10 ft (120 inches) * 3 * 4 (thats probably too small to support itself too) thats 1440 cubic inches.. weighing in at over 400lbs!
    It doesn't need to be that heavy. A ten-foot length of steel pipe, outside diameter 1 inch, inside diameter, say, 3/4 inch is quite capable of supporting itself, and would weigh only 11.6 pounds. Which is still pretty hefty for a hand-held weapon, but it'd get the job done.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Does Drunken Master give proficiency in improvised weapons? I thought it just increased damage...nice.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've seen many variants of these homebrew feats in several places:

Improvised Weapon Proficiency:

You may use any weapon or object as a club of the same size without taking a penalty to attack for non-proficiency. You still take a penalty to attack if the weapon is inappropriately sized. For example, a human could pick up a medium sized Spiked Chain and wield it as a medium club with no penalties, dealing 1d6 damage with none of the Spiked Chain's bonuses or reach. Similarly, he could pick up a medium sized chair, broom, etc. However, if he picked up a Large sized Spiked Chain, he would still take the -2 penalty for using a weapon of the wrong size. DMs may exclude certain objects from being used in this fashion if he deems them inappropriate for any reason. For example, a medium sized pillow, balloon, etc.

Improvised Weapon Mastery:

Req: Improvised Weapon Proficiency

You never take a size penalty while wielding an improvised weapon. For example, you can pick up a Colossal sized tree trunk and wield it as a Colossal club, dealing 4d6 damage and taking no penalties to hit. You must still have sufficient Strength to lift and reasonably wield the object. DMs may exclude objects that the deem to be inappropriate for any reason. For example, a Colossal sized tree trunk is too large to reasonably wield while in an enclosed space like a dungeon passage.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    It doesn't need to be that heavy. A ten-foot length of steel pipe, outside diameter 1 inch, inside diameter, say, 3/4 inch is quite capable of supporting itself, and would weigh only 11.6 pounds. Which is still pretty hefty for a hand-held weapon, but it'd get the job done.
    Never thought of a pipe...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alternatively, you could get cursed by your god to never use manufactured equipment again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.