New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Kingmaker [Stolen Land] (IC)

KINGMAKER [STOLEN LAND] (IC)

The Eternals left Restov the morning of 25 Calistril 4710 AR, riding for a few days. The road west would normally have been easily to traverse, but the late winter thaw has turned the roads into chilly mud that has slowed down the ponies ridden by more than half the team. Still, the Eternals have had a chance over the past few nights to get to know each other better, with each member opening up over the several days' ride concerning their troubled backgrounds (such as they are), with the exception of their leader, Beltin, who has yet to share his background. [See Companions of The Eternals, OOC Post #6.]

But as the third month of the year - Pharast - crests into its second day, the hope of a fast spring with the fast thaws quickly leave with a cold snap. Lini has proven her worth once again, finding a wind-protected copse of trees, and showing how to further maximize heat retention and protect the firebreak. Snow falls about them, Lini singing a song and telling stories to help the adventurers rest. Even though no one will suffer hypothermia thanks to Lini's knowledge, the cold bites deeply. Only Beltin, whose ancestry includes angels who fly high in freezing atmospheres, finds the temperatures barely tolerable. And so, it is that exhausting "cold sleep" to which all finally succumb.

"Wake up," Beltin hears a voice. "Wake up, Scion of Atareth."

When Beltin comes to, he sees himself on a vast, semi-arid savannah. It is so comfortably warm, and yet not searing. But when he looks up, he sees distant land .... as if very far away ... painted on the sky.

Your companions are nowhere to be found.

Standing over Beltin is a strange hybrid of man and lion ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-04-16 at 08:04 AM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker [Stolen Land] (IC)

Beltin lies there for a few seconds; the warmth of the day a nice respite from the cold he'd been dealing with a few hours earlier. He then sits up. "I'm going to assume that this is some sort of vision, as I don't recall ever dreaming of a lion-headed man before." He then gets fully to his feet. "So, vision. I am Beltin Oldiz. Show me what I should know."
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-04-16 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

3. - Top - End - #3

Beltin finds that he no longer towers over those around him, as the lion man tops out nearly a foot above him.

"A vision? No, no vision.you are having a semi-lucid dream ... I mean, really, Beltin. Talking lions? Facing planes of reality? That's just you, man," easily articulates the lion-man's mouth, which admittedly, is rather disturbing. "I am the King Over the Mountain. I watch over and protect the borders and the portals. You are crossing into a new boundary in your life. So, as I am just a projection of your mixed symbols you have learned. Lions as a sign of courage. Your studies of the Golden Lion martial arts. The world above, not mirroring the world we are on, and yet a strange reflection. Walk with me."

As with a dream, you find yourself walking before you make any 'will' to walk.

"You need to get sorted, Beltin, and I don't know how much of all this you will remember when you awake. What are you passionate about? Why? And then why to that again?"
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin pondered as he walked. "I guess it's that I want everyone to be free to live their best life; to do what they set themselves to, even if they don't get the chance to elsewhere. Laws and rules are good foundations for that, but some people have a more free-form approach. Neither is wrong per se. What matters is people have the chance to be as good as the can be."

He pauses for a second before continuing. "But not everyone is willing to take the time and effort needed to get to that ideal self. They either don't have the drive or inclination to do any self-improvement. But if their laziness only effects them and their immediate surroundings, that's their business. There's no "maximum score" on how good that one can be that they should be seeking. But once you decide to take the easy way by taking from others, or decide that what you want to set yourself to is based on the misery of others, then we have a problem." He gestures with his hands. "It's like dominoes. As long as you don't knock anyone else tiles over, I don't care what you do with yours. But when the strong prey on the weak for fun and profit, I will not let that stand. They have the right to be free to be their better selves without daredevils and bullies taking it from them. If that means I need to be their shield against the more dangerous in the world, so be it. Because I got the chance to make my dreams happen, and they deserve the right to try to make theirs."

5. - Top - End - #5

"You know, that is not exactly in line with Iomedae. So, how does that relate to Iomedae? or, does it? Did you simply grasp about, not happy with what was nearest you, hear stories about crusaders in Mendev, and figure that was as good as anything?"
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin shakes his head. "What I respect about Iomedae is her drive to do good; her determination and sense of justice. But I don't agree with the premise that laws are the solution to dealing with life's problems. Laws are inflexible and cannot change to fit the situation. An urchin stealing an apple to eat and a noble youth stealing one out of boredom are committing the same crime, but the situation is very different. Having one law to handle both ignores the minutia that provides context. And without context, there is no truth."

He paused. "In a way, I guess my viewpoint is kind of like Irori's, but instead of spiritual and physical perfection, it's being a good person who doesn't detract from society. Does that make sense?"

7. - Top - End - #7

The lion-man sighs and says, "Well, you are no religious scholar, so that means neither am I. But if memory serves, Irori is the betterment of self and a hamonious society at all costs, even at the cost of those who have not the mental or physical strength to keep up. That lack of morality, while present in some, is not an aspect of faith. And I am sure we can find reasons to admire all of the gods for one reason or another, but you basically answered my question, and very likely did not mean to admit that you have strayed from the Inheritor's teachings.

"What if everything you believed in your first (lengthy) answer was the 'ideology' to stand behind, rather than a fractious splinter interpretation of one you've only really read about? Not a power wherein you pick and choose what is worthwhile. While good for a layman, even an itinerant cleric, you cannot progress on your current road without fully submitting to a set of ideals while worrying about competing ones in the same vein. Otherwise, those that you hope to inspire cannot be so, when you cannot be so inspired yourself."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin shakes his head. "A 'harmonious society' built on the backs of those who could not keep up is an echo chamber, nothing more. You want a set of ideals? Fine. It's to always do the right thing. Not what's convenient, not what's less likely to cause waves, not what the best possible move you could do in a grand unseen chess match of fate or political machinations, but what it right. Because it is the right thing to do. Neither laws nor the whims of chance are going to stop me from doing that if I can possibly help it. Listen, I got the shot to prove myself so I might maybe, possibly, one day join the Swordlords like I've wanted to since I was 8 years old."

He paused, his voice hitting a somber tone "I might fail. I might get killed by one of the dangers of the wilds, or get assassinated by someone who opposed my ideals, or maybe even a random sickness no one saw coming. Hell, even if I survive, there's no guarantee that someone won't pull some strings to keep me from joining. Maybe I only do a so-so job and it's not enough, maybe they'd be afraid that I would be a threat to their power or maybe they'd do it out of spite because they don't like me. I know all of that. But the point is that even if I fail to fully take advantage of this opportunity, I got the chance. I had the opportunity to prove that I had what it takes or to crash in a pile of flames. So I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure that everyone who comes to me for aid gets their opportunity. To protect them, so they have the opportunity to go after their dreams. And to stop those whose selfish desires threaten the community with violence and destruction, because I have the power to stop it."

9. - Top - End - #9

"Exactly why Irori is farther from your heart than Iomedae, and you have now seconded your reasoning why even She is not the best choice, for She asks that her servants don't just do the right thing, but to do the right thing always the 'right way,'" says the lion-man. "But if laws and tradition are the general structure jumping off point to the real goal: doing what is right, If you would lead others to the light, and the strong support the weak, then dream of me again tomorrow and I will come to you with an oath for you to keep, but new rights - and responsibilities - to uphold as well. If you do not, and cling to what you know for reasons unclear to you, then simply do not seek me in your dreams tomorrow night. But for now peace be upon you."

Beltin will awaken amazingly refreshed the next day.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-04-16 at 05:54 PM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin thinks much about his dream during the day, but keeps the details of it to himself.

11. - Top - End - #11

It is probably the nature of cold, but everyone else is subdued during the chilly day.

That new night, does Beltin seek to form his dream to re-fashion, or call out to, the lion-man?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

As Beltin gets ready for bed that night, he has a debate with himself. Is seeking out the lion man in his dreams the right thing to do? Eventually, he comes to the conclusion that while the two of them had debated as to what the best way to advance was, it was still a force for good. And he wasn't didactic enough to say his way was the only right one. If the man could help, he would accept it, even if it meant that his personal faith in Iomedae might be shaken in the process.

13. - Top - End - #13

When Beltin is ... roused? .... he finds it is nightime, but there is a strange warm glow from the clouds in the sky that provides dim light on the world around Beltin. Of course, having darkvision means little by that, but it does lend ambiance. There is, however, in this idyllic landscape that you find yourself in, a bonfire on top of a hill, surrounded by man creatures you cannot quite make out.

The increasingly famiiliar .... dream-guide? spirit-guide? The one that referred to himself as King Over the Mountain? He is there near you. This time, he doesn't wear the armor he had before, and has not the great sword. Rather he is in a split-legged kilt with a great belt beset with a gem. Upon his lustrous mane is a crown. There is a type of glistening mud on his skin that in the normal light has a phosphorescent, golden glow. He doesn't say a word, and as is the nature of a semi-lucid dream, you again find yourself walking with him. You don't feel "compelled," it just happens.

He leads you up the hill to where some two-score creatures are located, waiting. Some of them are like him exactly - leonine. Some of them are quite different, in that they are anthropomorphic as well, but of different kinds of animals .... a spritely ferret-man, a luxuriating cat-woman (but far smaller than the King and yourself), a snake-... (not sure gender, if any even ascribed), and many others. There are some who seem to be related, even to birds, but of the same general nature as the other ani-men. There are also a whole lot of others who, devoid of animal features in the face, yet have wings. In all cases, feathered, not scalloped, with one, two, or in one particular case, three pairs of wings! All of them, likewise, seem to have the same phosphorescent gold pain on them in various designs, obviously ritualistic and in some cases even warlike.

The King says to you, "Beltin Oldiz, Scion of Atareth, Cousin of Vanareth, Heir-Apparent to Dothain ... be not afraid."

Up until now, though dreams can be strange, a lesser mortal might have been cowed by these apparent holy visions. But now? As soon as the King finishes saying that, from him and all others nearby there comes from them an incredibly palpable more-ness.

You do feel fear. You are not immune. Every tiny bit of self-doubt you ever head wells up in your as you know that this breaks even what can be felt in a dream.

But for all that fear, your sense of purpose, sense of self, and sense of righteousness recognizes your own failings as the beauty of mortality. You quail, but only for a few seconds before standing tall amongst what is now the center of the circle of the bonfire he leads you around, and all of these .... terrifyingly beautiful creatures from angelic lore and beyond seem to look on you at first with stern approbation, and then with love. You don't know what love on someone's face looks like in the real world, but you sense it here for what it is.

"Beltin Oldiz, I am Kelumarion, King Over the Mountain, and if you will have me, your patron, with you my servant in the world. I ask for no temples, no remandments of material, no relics or artifacts built in my name. You may, should others seek your banner, have tokens or shrines so that others may have something to focus upon, but not for the sake of my ego, but that they may reflect.

"If you will stand before this Golden Council of Dothain and answer to all that you have said to me, that is all the philosophy I command you follow .... the one that was already in your heart.

"Do you give me your fealty this night?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin heart races. He feels the power of the ceremony, of what words mean here. Despite that, he kneels, knowing what he must do. "I, Beltin Oldiz, do solemnly swear fealty and to uphold my code: To do what is right, for its own sake. And I vow to remain worthy of such a title, and of the respect of this court, for as long as I shall live."
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-04-17 at 12:45 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

"Then repeat after me," says Kelumarion. "I, (state your name)..."

"I, Beltin Oldiz..."

"...in name, if not in blood..."

"...in name, if not in blood..."

"...I become your descendant...."

"... I become your descendant...."

"...Oh, Kelumarion, King Over the Mountain."

"...Oh, Kelumarion, King Over the Mountain."

"I will learn from your wisdom...."

"I will learn from your wisdom...."

"... benefit from your might..."

"... benefit from your might..."

"... and guide your lesser servants as well..."

"... and guide your lesser servants as well..."

"...and in exchange I shall serve your interests...."

"...and in exchange I shall serve your interests...."

"... and protect you from the enemies that threaten you in the world beyond as they do in my own life."

"... and protect you from the enemies that threaten you in the world beyond as they do in my own life."

"I shall carry the light and power of Celestia, Bytopia, and Nirvana within me...."

"I shall carry the light and power of Celestia, Bytopia, and Nirvana within me...."

"...I shall not use the strength it grants me for my own profit, but that the world may profit..."

"...I shall not use the strength it grants me for my own profit, but that the world may profit..."

"...and with its power I shall strike against evil..."

"...and with its power I shall strike against evil..."

"...and may my glories fade with my good faith if I am false."

"...and may my glories fade with my good faith if I am false."

"This I do swear before the Eternal Golden Council."

"This I do swear before the Eternal Golden Council."

Kelumarion smiles, even offering a slight shrug and says, "Amen."

"Amen."

There is a pause before Kelumarion continues, "Arise, and stand, Beltin Oldiz, newest inductee into the Eternal Golden Council."

Beltin rises.

He now calls out to those assembled and moves from Beltin, making a circuit around the bonfire. Meanwhile, the agendered snake-person, holding a pail, takes their own fingers, dips it, and begins to paint on Beltin.

"Know all ye gathered by these presents...."

"GREETINGS!" responds in a grand chorus all others, including the snake-person's voice into Beltin's own face even as they work. It is a raucous reply, and meant to be as loud as each creature could make it.

"That Beltin Oldiz, Scion of Atareth, Cousin to Vanareth .... has without reservation or attempt at evasion, taken the oath. For council purposes and records, he is hereby dubbed the Summer Templar, and long may he bring the spark of the heavens to the world."

That seems like that should be the end of it, and even the snake-person has finished gilding the angelkin, but all faces look upon the Summer Templar, then back to the King, as if waiting for something.

"Let us feast and drink!! Rejoice, rejoice!"

A great cry practically trembles the ground as the heads of lions, horses, rams, all manner of beast-men and angelic creatures, gives a wordless shout of joy.

Beltin doesn't remember much after that, things becoming quite a blur as dreams normally, not lucidly do, as the concept of time is whirling. He has the sense he feasted, drank, and made friends .... that the term "immortal" or "mortal" meant nothing in rank to those present, but all as battle-siblings .... but can't remember anything specific when he finally wakes up. He knows he surely asked questions about things, but any sense of those things are fleeting and it is as difficult as expected to remember any details.

When he comes to the next morning, he is truly refreshed. He can recall details about all that is said, almost as if the oath were permanently seared into his memory, as were various titles and names from the first half of the dream, but recalls little of anything from when he might have learned something useful at a feast.

Beltin will see sticking out of his pack a scroll, tied with golden ribbon and sealed with golden wax. It seems to be a parchment surrounding older vellum.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin will open the parchment, as he does so, he looks around for Linzi. The ceremony that took place in the dream was all too real, and he had a feeling that his chronicler will want to hear of it.

17. - Top - End - #17

Linzi, too, is awaking even now. She seems to be elated .... but when isn't she?

In fact, all five of you are waking as if out of a deep, but incredibly restful slumber.

Beltin has to cut the golden ribbon and break the seal. A parchment indeed enwraps another scroll, that scroll wound up with another golden ribbon and sealing wax. The parchment, however, reads:
    "Summer Templar,
    should you fall in battle,
    or should one of your close companions be felled,
    the enclosed divine scroll will aid in breathing life back into them.

The scroll is keyed to you.
    So, you must either read it, if ever you learn how,
    Be read for you should you fall, regardless who reads it, as long as they know how,
    Or, be read at your direct behest and only with your presence (by someone with the skill to do so).

Any attempt to sell or even give away this gift will render it worthless."

Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-04-17 at 02:08 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin nods to himself and returns the scroll and parchment to his pack. He turns to the rest of the party. "I have had the most transformative dream. Or rather, I was contacted via my dreams to be part of a ceremony that may have incredible significance." He turned to Linzi in particular. "You might want to get your pen and parchment ready, because it looks like my story may indeed be worth telling."

19. - Top - End - #19

"Really?!" wows Linzi. "Are we staying here today, though, because normally I write once we make camp in he evening."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

[Major RP interlude discussing dreams...]

After a day of being dug in, the party sets out the next day after each person finishes their morning preparations.

Lini, who has made herself responsible for tending to the horses, comes to Beltin and the others. "It isn't magical - the feed. But, umm, we have several more days of feed than expected. Four days total by my count. I hear that the fey work wonders both for and against travelers in these woods. I think we should say no more about it, but be internally grateful. At least, fey is my guess."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin strokes his chin. "And how long do you think it will take us to get to Oleg's Trading Post?"

22. - Top - End - #22

"Mid-day tomorrow," says Lini. "Bad weather, muds, and cold misty fog ... even on the road, pushed us off by about 3-4 days."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin nods. "If you can't find anything wrong with the feed, use it. Otherwise, we should be close enough to the trading post to not need it."

24. - Top - End - #24

Midway into the day, as expected, the Eternals make it to an old abandoned fort that was repurposed as what you believe to now be Oleg's Trading Post. The trading post is surrounded by a wooden palisade that stands 10' high. At each corner of the palisade are 20-foot-square watchtowers, each armed with a run-down catapult left over from the site's original use as a border fort. These catapults are in no condition to be fired, and seem like they would take a lot of repair work to ever be usable again (if ever). There's one entrande through the palisade -- a 30' wide wooden gate --- that is currently open.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin instructs the party to stop some 20 feet in front of the fort.
    "Heeeeellllooooo the fort!", Beltin yells in the fort's direction. If there's anyone home, that should probably raise them.

26. - Top - End - #26

How long would Beltin wait before doing something else?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe two minutes for shouting again, and a minute after that. He's then investigate the fort in person with the rest of the party.

28. - Top - End - #28

A very gruff, middle-aged man comes out just before Beltin's internal deadline trips off. "Gate's open, ya' coulda' just come in. Post is in the back, just a little to the right. Y'all got mounts, so the stables on the left. Name's Oleg Leveton. See my wife in the trading post to get yerselves situated."

He has the look of a man who was busy in some task and was interrupted. He begins to walk away.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin just shrugs. "I was trying to be polite." he mumbles to the rest of the Eternals, but regardless, he follows Oleg's instructions and brings his horse placed in the stable. Once the rest of the party has similar gotten their mount taken care of, he heads to the post to meet Oleg's wife and 'get situated'.

30. - Top - End - #30

Everyone needs to get their own saddles off, or the bigger folk help the smaller, but Lini will then stay behind to brush down and take care of the horses, as long as Beltin makes sure Lini is taken care of in the trading post.

The group (sans Lini) goes into the Trading Post, where they meet a woman in her mid-20s. Unlike the man you saw, this woman's face lights up when she sees the four of you. "Hi, y'all! Welcome to my husband Oleg's trading post! Name's Svetlana Leveton. Come on in and tell me about yourselves while I get some chow ready for you. You are here to eat and board tonight, right?"
    Show