New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker [Stolen Land] (IC)

Beltin sighs. Then then tepes Lini "Sorry about welcome brigade here. I'll be right back." He then heads to the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Before coming in, as the land reveals a slight holler, Beltin does spy a little outhouse with the shape of the sun carved on it. (It is only noteworthy, because most outhouses tend to have moon motifs to allow natural light into the outhouse). There is also a standard well, with a 2' tall croft and steps leading to it, with a winch assembly, bucket, and a small peaked roof to help protect the winch assembly from the elements. These things are to the southwest of the house. The entrance faces the east (roughly). The north side of the house and part of the property includes a windbreak of coniferous trees, which is not uncommon as the prevailing wind comes from the N/NE. The holler probably helps a little in a windstorm, and the windbreak is a second line of defense. Since the little path winds some, he sees a winter-fallow garden in the back. If there are any wintering plants (hardy squashes and the like), they are probably built closer to the back of the cottage to get some protection from the harsh winter winds.

The first thing Beltin will understand as he gets to the cottage is that while built with an understanding that the persona franca of the realm tends to be about 5'-6' in height, it seems this cottage was made for a smaller creature, but with an attempt to make it just a touch larger in case of guests. Sajan (5' 8") has to duck his head a little, But Beltin definitely has to clearly stoop to make sure he doesn't ding his head on the lintel.

There are rugs outside and inside of the door. The rugs are not comfortable for feet, but are made of a very tightly bristled, dried plant matter used to scrub off detritus from boots. The outer mat says, "Blessings and Welcome" in some type of paint; the inner mat, oriented for one leaving the house (so Beltin sees it upside down coming in) says, "Sarenrae light your way."

The mites do their level best to clean their little shoes and Beltin notes that they do this with a mixture of reverence and fear. A little crumb of dirt falls off the mat onto the floor, and one can almost imagine it making a faint "dinging" sound. The mites, even the ones not looking, seem to sense something is off and all stare at the bashful Bozed (as Beltin will come to learn; two syllables, like BO-zed). He carefully takes a small "foxtail" (not a real fox' tail) and a metal pan with a slanted handle and brushes in the dirt and puts it in a pail by the door where he got that pan.

Of course, Beltin and Sajan notice this entire ritual as they are already in and sort of naturally got out of the little blue creatures under foot. And are standing in the middle of the main room of the cottage. On some type of woven wool rug. With dirty feet.

There is a hustle and abustle, a ballyhoo, and quite the alarums and excursions as the little mites have a freakout and command Beltin and Sajan to stay there.

As they begin to clean around the Big 'Uns' feet, Beltin will note that the cottage is surprisingly immaculate. There are all manner of chotchkes and sun-worshipper paraphernalia and various other things. There is one really nice plush chair-like apparatus sized for somebody Small, but strange for it has a very thin backrest, though it widens out where the head would be. There are three other pieces of furniture that Medium-sized folk could sit in comfortably ... a cushioned chair, a 2-section loveseat, and a 3-section couch. Against the north wall there is a reallywide, but not very long, bunk bed, and another bed that is just a bed but likewise not that long. On the southwest corner is another bed sized for somebody small (though not a small bed as such) with a nightstand, small desk and chair. The bed covers have a duvet and throw pillows. The other furniture have decorative, colored antimacassars on them. A small, two-section kitchen setup on either side of the western wall's hearth. There is also a Small-sized exit to the backyard. On the eastern wall (where you came in) there are some bookshelves with books and a stand of cleaning equipment.

Very little wall space is clear. If there are not useful frontier tools, there are little pictures and portraitures lined up artfully. Beltin gets the very distinct feeling that he has entered the house of somebody's aunt or grandmother.

Most notable, now that you look to the south side of the door (on the eastern wall), is an interesting colored painting of a shockingly slender halfling female with relatively pretty features. She has somewhat poor dress, a bedraggled appearance, and her face is of one beseeching some Wish-Granting Other above her eyeline while she holds something unseen and bright clasped in her prayerful hands.

Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-06-07 at 11:12 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin goes to remove his boots; he wasn't expecting anything so fastidious so remote. Still, he ought to say hi now that he was in the house. "Ms. Yadmilla?" he asks, hoping to get her attention before the mites have finished their "decontamination".

4. - Top - End - #274

"She back later," says Kwip, a female mite. "Tonight."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah. Eh bien, si c’est le cas, il serait probablement préférable pour nous d’attendre dehors pour elle." Beltin responds in Sylvan. "Si rien d’autre, je ne veux pas garder mon amie dehors toute seule d’ici là."
    Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    Ah. Well, if that's the case, it would probably be best for us to wait outside for her. If nothing else, I don't want to keep my friend outside by herself until then.

6. - Top - End - #276

The mites pine in Sylvan.
    Spoiler: Sylvan
    Show
    (severally) "What? No. Stay. Tell us stories til Auntie Yadmila comes home. We already cleaned off your spot."

And other similar protestations.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

<"Okay, okay. I'll stay"> he replied in Sylvan. He then attempted to tepe Lini to tell her that it might me a bit before they came back.

8. - Top - End - #278

Lini, it seems, is just fine. In fact, she welcomes the chance to be out in the elements without having to tend to the needs (survival or even company) of other sapients, and she is getting a better sense of wolverines by studying her current Droogami's form.

Sajan will try to entertain the little blue meanies with some of his exotic calisthenics and monastic forms.

Mainly, though, they want to chat with Beltin because he speaks their language, and they are absolutely fascinated by him. Try as Beltin might, they just aren't a useful source of information because they are such rampant chatterboxes that it is hard to keep them on task. But if another is doing the entertaining or talking, it is different enough that they often listen (though sometimes make rude comments, forgetting themselves, and then feel repentant .... which seems to be new thing).

How does Beltin while away the time with them?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin didn't particularly consider himself a storyteller, but he did his best to keep the mites entertained, telling what stories he could remember. while hoping that Yadmilla would return before his supply of stories ran out.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I think I can take 10 for Perform (Oratory). If I can't, roll one for me.

10. - Top - End - #280

Beltin does a terrible job, honestly, and for a more focused audience perhaps that might have been a killer. Here, however, it is a minor drop as each mite quickly loses interest (sooo, boh-rin!) and engages themselves in other activiities. At one point, Beltin finds himself without any audience as they have all peeled off. In the late afternoon, they all seem to end up involving themselves in tasks mainly in the kitchen section. They ask for Big-Un help with brining in chopped wood and setting up the fire.

Does Beltin help out?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin is slightly saddened his storytime didn't pan out, but he did his best to help around the house as he waited for his host to arrive.

12. - Top - End - #282

It gets to be early evening, and the sun has just begun going down. Beltin gets a weather report that there are "scatted furries."

Finally, a stomping is heard at the back door as someone is knocking their boots clear, and finally in walks a humanoid female with white, feathered wings. She is a few inches taller than a yard and sleight of build, but with a little bit of sag that comes with age. She has golden eyes and dark brown hair that has several strands of silvery-gray mixing in with it. She is middle-aged, whatever she is, but her beauty hasn't been lost; in fact, she seems like she has grown into this type of beauty, that she was meant to look older and austere, not young and vivacious. She carries a blood-stained game sack with her.

As she comes in, all the mites cheer, especially when she triumphantly holds up what is presumed to be dinner. But those cheers are abated some when Lini follows with her wolverine. As soon as a couple mites look like they might complain about the "no-mee" your hostess' countenance goes from compassionate to chilling. She levels a glare that makes her golden eyes glow .... not a warm gold, but an almost cold, white gold that intensifies the effect and hushes all protestations. Once her effect is achieved, her eyes instantly go back to a normal, kind golden color as she regards you and Sajan with a nod and then says to the cottage at large. "This is Lini. She is my guest. This is her pet Droogami. Do not bother either of them, they will not bother you, but we offer our hospitality to the newcomers."

This cottage is, by the way, now notably cramped. But at least the thin-backed chair makes sense, given the
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin smiles. "Thank you very much for your hospitality. I see you've met Lini. This is Sajan, her faithful companion", he says, gesturing to the monk, as he holds his hand out, offering a shake. "And I am Beltin Oldiz. Did Lini let you know our purpose in these parts?"
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-06-11 at 09:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284

"I think she tried," your hostess says, giving a quick nod to Sajan when he is introduced. When Beltin holds out his hand, she more slowly and emphatically bows her head some, but does not take your hand. "They call me Yadmila the Clement, well, them what's a friend. Them what's an enemy? More colorful terms. You can just call me Yadmila. I hope my penitents didn't cause you too much trouble beyond your gnome friend being kept outside?

"So, if I have this right ... Restov has given you a charter for exploration. Lini showed me the map. And that is pretty much the long-and-short of things, right? That, and feel free to slaughter and maim critters for the sake of 'peace and security' I'm sure, too."
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin quickly recovered from the failed handshake by returning her bow and sitting on the ground to be at eye level. "Well, the exploration aspect, yes. I can't say I'm thrilled with your accusation in the second half of your statement. I haven't harmed a single creature that hadn't attacked me and mine first. My primary mission, outside of exploration, is to stop the banditry that's going on in these parts; not to deal with the wildlife."

16. - Top - End - #286

She nods and says, "Sounds fair."

She heads over to the kitchen section, casts a spell to fill up a bucket, and with help from the mites (sometimes poor attempts, but they try) she puts the pre-rendered meat in the bucket. There has been a stew has been on for awhile, but it looks like the rendered meat is frozen and is in the water to thaw, likely for tomorrow night's meal.

"'Course, you have to admit, even if you don't agree," she continues, "that what I said is implicit in your charter. Bandits are the wildlife, and we do need to protect the honest folk, but can they be redeemed? or, do you just put them to the sword? And of course you're likely to be attacked by other creatures. The 'they attacked first' is the first way the conqueror seeks to legitimize aggression. You come crashing through somebody's home; well, might not look like a home to you, but it is too something. It attacks because it perceives a threat. 'Oh, but they attacked first!'

"Well, after you tame this vast hinterland .... after only being attacked first, mind you ... then what? What's the point of the charter? What's the end goal?"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin crossed his arms. "First things first, bandits are not "wildlife". They are people who have decided that due to temperament or a lack of other options to steal what they need from anyone unfortunate to cross their paths. If they count as wildlife, why don't we? Secondly, of the one group we managed to find thus far, none of them surrendered. We'll have to wait until one does to make a judgement, though if redemption is possible, it'd be a waste to end them needlessly."

"As for the second part, I have gone out of my way not to attack anything with a mind and have tried to treat them peacefully wherever possible. And once they have decided to attack me with lethal force, what do you expect me to do, stand still and get mauled to death? Hell, I have hit them with nonlethal attacks wherever possible. What more should I be doing?" He sighed exasperatedly, having worked himself up a bit. He then took a deep breath and continued.

"And finally, the end goal of our exploration is to end the banditry in these parts and hopefully to allow sapient habitation of the area. In a way, yes, that will make us an invasive species, like woodland predators moving the the prairies due to a natural wildfire. Except what's different between us and other invasive species is that we can minimize the harm we do when we move in. And I'd like to think I've done everything I can to do so"
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-06-15 at 02:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288

"And that's great, wonderful even," she says with a laissez-faire. "But it isn't about you is it? They send the friendly face - angelic even - to let everyone know that this is a 'peaceful' transition. Ask Oleg what he thinks about Restov making a charter for the area. Oh, absolutely I am sure he is helpful for the help against the bandits, make no mistake. Yes, I heard about it. But, he knows what your presence really means. Why do you think he's out past Restov's lawful borders making a living? Because he hit upon an untapped vein of profit by providing a trading post and waystation? Sure, that might be part of it. But as long as you are here - you maybe not being 'you, the Beltin,' but being what 'you represent for the future' .... go ahead and ask him, and see if he doesn't evade and sound like he says what he wants you to hear while there is fear in his voice.

"We can do with more heroes in the area. But heroes like you are the precursors to more civilization and laws and taxes and somebody else's whim than what people want, let alone are used to having. If it was just the light that civilization could provide, that might not be so bad. But I hope you're not being coy or dumb, and have a sense of politics, right? You do understand your politics and geography and can do the math, can't you?"
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

"With respect, what would you have me do? I could run, abandon my charter. But even ignoring what that would do to me, doing so won't make a difference; they'll just send another charted party after me. The King is hundreds of miles from here in New Stetven and there's no way I could get an audience with him, let alone convince him not to advance this way. And trying to claim these lands as my own little fiefdom to try and hold it against their expansion would be suicide, as there's no way the five of us could defend against a regiment of Restov's militia, especially if they also sent a Sword Lord with them."

He then turned to his companions. "Is there anything else I could or should be doing here? Please, let me know."
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-06-15 at 03:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290

By now she has the mites help her ladle out food into wooden bowls, and you are shown where to sit (on the floor for now) with your stew.

"You realize you are the prelude to war. The Greenbelt has good lumber and can help with a war machine that way, sure. The Narlmarches don't have any mines worth anything I know of. But there's rumblings of civil war. Not murmurings as has always been, but this time the rumbling that comes with a boiling put surging against a lid. And the only way to keep the people of Restov from tearing each others throats is anything else .... such as war with Pitax.

"Mind you, Pitax probably welcomes a war more; their lord is such a bastard and wouldn't mind the slaughter. But Restov is willing to put the Greenbelt under the yoke to set up a buffer for their machine. Pitax will probably respond in kind. And where do you think that war will first be fought? The countries themselves? Nah, in time, maybe. They are going to snipe and rally and trundle all over this land .... this land that is still a far extension of the River Kingdoms. And every farmer, trader, potionmaker, and trapper is going to have their home invaded. They will be forced to say who they owe allegiance to, and strung up if they don't give a pleasant answer. 'Quarters taken for the king,' will be a means of taking honest folk from their homes and forced into servitude, sure as your born. And these folk are living out here to get away from that very thing.

"That's what you represent. I don't have an answer for you. I am neither required to be your savior, your conscience, nor your resourcefulness. That's for you to figure out what's important to you. What's important to your sanity that you don't give too much away for promises of riches."
    She shrugs. "Honestly, you hold the charter. And you seem kind enough. Nice eyes. So if this is the first time you are realizing this, I'm sorry it's me what told you so. I hate givin' good people bad news."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin took a few spoonfuls of his stew, thinking about his hostess's words. "None of us are ever fully in control. There's too much going on in the world to know all of it, regardless of how many divinations you cast. I can't control what life and these politics may throw my way. I will just have to face it with integrity and hope that it will be enough to lead me through."

22. - Top - End - #292

Yadmila won't press any farther, and will go more into small talk, asking about news from the outside world and the like.

Is there any pressing conversational point that you still wish to have with Yadmila?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

The one thing that he will ask is how she got this colony (?) of mites to work for her. Otherwise, he's fine with small talk and will broach the party staying for the eveing, if not in the house proper, than at least nearby as to at least have degree of protection from outside threats that might attack while they sleep.

24. - Top - End - #294

"They come from the south, from an old sycamore tree," says Yadmila. "More than that I won't say, because it isn't right to speak of past sins when folk are on the path to redemption."

Yadmila won't hear of any talk about sleeping outside, as the very idea goes against the rules of hospitality. Besides, she mutters that you'd all probably ruin her fallow flower garden.

Anything else before sleep?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

No. He wishes his host a good evening before finding a comfortable spot to sleep.

26. - Top - End - #296

He will be pretty mashed in with the Lini and Sajan on the floor by the hearth, but back aways so as not to disturb the food tables.

Night passes.

Toilday, 16 Pharast (last night of the New Moon) ...

While the three heroes do their morning routine, they will find out Yadmila had already done hers as she is making breakfast for the cottage, though with all these mouths, there will only be a half-egg scrambled for each, one slice of bacon, but mainly winter porridge (butter and/ or cream for taste).

Yadmila understands how worthies such as yourselves need to do your own prayers and studies. And so the heroes do so.

Being around Yadmila, a creature who seems more touched by the heavens or a similar plane than a natural form of winged humanoid - and possibly closer to those upper planes than Beltin's own self - seems to have an effect on Beltin's meditations today. Even if you have some departure in philosophy, she spoke with a verve nearly matching your own, and very likely has closer ties to the elements in her remote home. As such, Beltin finds his voice subtly altered, as well as his ability to be inured against all manner of elemental mishap.
    Spoiler: Unlock
    Show
    Voice of the Janni

Breakfast.

So, what now?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

After breakfast, Beltin will wish Yadmilla luck, telling her that he would think long about her words in the days to come. He would then turn to Linzi to determine what was left of this area to explore before heading back to the trading post.

28. - Top - End - #298

"I think" .... says L-I-N-(NOT "Z")-I .... "after my chat with Yadmila, we can pretty much close this area out. She told me of a couple homes and steads, so this spot doesn't need much more exploration."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Beltin nodded. "Okay then, Lini. Let's head back to the trading post."

30. - Top - End - #300

It's a few hours away, but you get there just fine.
    Show