New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fallen London 4 - Khan!!!!!!!

Hm, how does one get to the Parabola? Via the lab? Reading around, it seems like that's about the only route for me, unless I change up my job.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

The lab is the most straightforward (non-Glassman) option. IIRC, both Light Fingers and Heart's Desire Ambitions gave you options to gain Parabola access without a lab, but those were just about the same cost-wise. Bag a Legend required you to get it via the Lab, but at a much lower cost. Nemesis is unique in that it doesn't interact with our Parabolan Base Camp at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Heart's Desire actually just told me to do it in my lab, IIRC, or to hire a Glassman.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    The lab is the most straightforward (non-Glassman) option. IIRC, both Light Fingers and Heart's Desire Ambitions gave you options to gain Parabola access without a lab, but those were just about the same cost-wise. Bag a Legend required you to get it via the Lab, but at a much lower cost. Nemesis is unique in that it doesn't interact with our Parabolan Base Camp at all.
    Yeah, sounds about right. I had been doing the Nemesis ambition.

That said, my research is now stuck where the other research options are locked out by higher reputation, and the one I do have access to require Parabolan Research... which I can't get because I can't unlock the Parabola and the only other option is to use a FATE-locked assistant.

5. - Top - End - #65

Don't you have the Contact a Glassman option? That showed up almost everywhere for me.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Don't you have the Contact a Glassman option? That showed up almost everywhere for me.
    Nope. I suspect I am still missing a prerequisite storyline.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

IIRC, that is a Heart's Desire option.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    That said, my research is now stuck where the other research options are locked out by higher reputation, and the one I do have access to require Parabolan Research... which I can't get because I can't unlock the Parabola and the only other option is to use a FATE-locked assistant.
    Aren't you able to study the Whitsun eggs? Those doesn't seem to require any prestige nor Parabolan Research. Also, breaking Invigorated Aged Eggs can get you Eoliths to study (and, rarely, a Monstrous Orb - a very collectible, though useless, trinket; similiarly, Invigorated Scarlets can get you Tailfeathers Brilliant as Flame).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Aren't you able to study the Whitsun eggs? Those doesn't seem to require any prestige nor Parabolan Research. Also, breaking Invigorated Aged Eggs can get you Eoliths to study (and, rarely, a Monstrous Orb - a very collectible, though useless, trinket; similiarly, Invigorated Scarlets can get you Tailfeathers Brilliant as Flame).
    Aha. I found out why. I didn't have the eggs in my inventory at the time. That's annoying.

I got my reputation to level 5 now, so all I need is just more memories of light (sigh), and I'll be set.

9. - Top - End - #69

So, how does one get Attar and/or get to the city of roses? The options I can find on the Wiki seem to be seasonal to Hallowmas.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

So, how does one get Attar and/or get to the city of roses? The options I can find on the Wiki seem to be seasonal to Hallowmas.
    I been drawing the City of Roses card randomly (three times at this point), so I have a feeling it's RNG.

At the same time, I need the Parliament of Bats card to actually get a Bat with Attitude and I'm not getting it at all. I wonder if it's something else I need, but the Wiki implies I only need the bat, of which I already have 50. I might need to start getting rid of my pets.

11. - Top - End - #71

Never seen that card, either. Must be new.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

At the same time, I need the Parliament of Bats card to actually get a Bat with Attitude and I'm not getting it at all. I wonder if it's something else I need, but the Wiki implies I only need the bat, of which I already have 50. I might need to start getting rid of my pets.
    1 bat or 1000000 don't make a difference here. The RNG just hates your guts.

Which is why they added a new way of getting the Battitude - you need to go to prison with 5 criminal favors (and draw the right card there), than a trip to the Tomb Colonies (with 5 TC favors) and back to prison. Locked if you already have one of those bats.

Never seen that card, either. Must be new.
    The Dream of Roses card is relatively new, yes. I believe you can draw it anytime, as long as you have Route: Lodgings. But see my comment on the RNG above ;)
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2020-05-23 at 11:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

In a remarkable coincidence, I just drew the card that sends you there. I have noticed there are some cards that seem to be drawn only when physically in my lodgings, and this seemed to be one of them. Or perhaps it's confirmation bias and I'm grasping at straws to make sense of an uncaring RNG. Regardless, I am in the city of Roses now. I have no idea what I'm doing there, naturally.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

It is confirmation bias/rng - the card isn't limited by location (or at the very least wasn't until yesterday - haven't drawn it today, so can't be 100% sure if someone didn't tweak stuff on a Saturday. As unlikely as that would be ;) ).

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have also no idea about Arbor, despite having been there a few times and being Ambassador to Arbor.

From the bits I read in the FB forum it is apparently rather profitable.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

16. - Top - End - #76

It's just that I need to go there for Heart's Desire and I have no idea how, having never been.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Keep drawing cards. Offer your firstborn to the rng probably wouldn't hurt.

And remember entering and leaving the Lab resets your deck at the cost of 2 actions.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of Heart's Desire, I need to speak to the Manager about it. Stepping through a Carnival mirror didn't quite work. Apparently I need to be somewhat sane for the conversation to make sense. Who knew? Anyway, what's the best way to raise my Nightmares the hard way?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground

The starveling cat, mostly. you only need to get it up to 4, 3 if you have the +1 nightmares item

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

You can hunt an Albatross in Parabola for another +1 item. Seeking curios in the Forgotten Quarter tends to raise nightmares decently fast, as does failing the checks when hunting parabolan creatures.

Also, just confirmed the Arbor card is drawn everywhere - got mine in the University. ;)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

Arbor is lovely. there's a pretty good wiki guide, but the main thing is you start in "Lower arbor" and when you reach enough Attar you're transported into "Upper Arbor" which is more magnificent, where you can continue to accumulate Attar and spend it in order to receive some worthy items for a sale. it's a good grind.
    you also need to get into upper Arbor for hearts desire.

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

I see. Confirmation bias confirmed. Thanks guys.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

1 bat or 1000000 don't make a difference here. The RNG just hates your guts.

Which is why they added a new way of getting the Battitude - you need to go to prison with 5 criminal favors (and draw the right card there), than a trip to the Tomb Colonies (with 5 TC favors) and back to prison. Locked if you already have one of those bats.
    Egh. At least they recognise the sheer RNG of it. Especially with other cards cluttering your draw to begin with. (Is there any benefit to even keeping the older dwellings these days?)

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

Egh. At least they recognise the sheer RNG of it. Especially with other cards cluttering your draw to begin with. (Is there any benefit to even keeping the older dwellings these days?)
    Except for the 'Remote Address' property of some and actions to increase Making Waves, none I know of. But I think there is now way to sell Lodgings as of yet?
    edit: The Rooftop Shack gets you Broken Giant and the Flophouse can yield some Favours.

Are Bats with Attitude needed for something or why is their rarity of interest?
    Last edited by Iruka; 2020-05-23 at 05:42 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Except for the 'Remote Address' property of some and actions to increase Making Waves, none I know of. But I think there is now way to sell Lodgings as of yet?
    edit: The Rooftop Shack gets you Broken Giant and the Flophouse can yield some Favours.

Are Bats with Attitude needed for something or why is their rarity of interest?
    One is needed for the Nemesis Ambition.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically there is a way to get rid of your unwanted lodgings. It just happens to have two caveats:
    1. Requires progressing Seeking Mr Eaten's Name
    2. Removes all of your lodgings at once.

Neither point really appeals to me.

And yes, Battitudes became important due to the Nemesis update. And since the chance to get one even if you draw the card is ~2.5%, some people failed to get them for months after the update hit. It was amusing however how people who avoided having Sulky Bats due to not wanting that card in their deck reacted ;)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Technically there is a way to get rid of your unwanted lodgings. It just happens to have two caveats:
    1. Requires progressing Seeking Mr Eaten's Name
    2. Removes all of your lodgings at once.

Neither point really appeals to me.

And yes, Battitudes became important due to the Nemesis update. And since the chance to get one even if you draw the card is ~2.5%, some people failed to get them for months after the update hit. It was amusing however how people who avoided having Sulky Bats due to not wanting that card in their deck reacted ;)
    I never was one of those who threw away stuff. A little bit of a hoarder myself, in fact. But since I start (re)playing, I haven't seen one of them Bat cards for ages. Had made me recheck my inventory three times to be sure.

Well, off to prison I go.

28. - Top - End - #88

Making the ambitions super RNG dependent is indeed highly annoying. For starters, I needed two diamonds, that can only be gotten in repeatable ways through a small percent chance while buying a bag of diamonds, or from the reandom treasures from the low-tier expeditions. So I had to grind like 20 expeditions these past few days to get them.

Now I went to Arbor once, had a look around and was kicked out. After about... three or four hours of throwing away all opportunity cards until I got to that one? And now I need to do it again until I can figure out how to progress once I'm there.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

RNG and excessive grinding are why I originally stopped playing. The game definitely hasn't fixed those problems.

30. - Top - End - #90

Welp. I'm already utterly bored with the game again. Spent three days now grinding expeditiosn to get diamonds, selling pretty much everything expendable I own to finance them. No diamonds. Hence no Ambition.