New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Final bosses which absolutely body you (spoilers)

There's another thread going on here about final bosses that are pushovers (whether they're just easy, or just a final boss for plot reasons, like in FFX after Braska's Final Aeon). That got me thinking on final bosses, which got me thinking about how I've gotten dominated by plenty of bosses in my day. Sometimes just me being a noob, sometimes they're just really friggin' hard. I got a few.

Before that, I think it's worth mentioning sometimes RPG bosses are a bit on the easy side because I horde my good consumables for like the entire game. Sometimes easy because you overlevel. Sometimes hard because you underlevel. This thread is probably better suited for not RPGs, but I have way more experience with RPGs.

The Radiance of Hollow Knight. I died on this dude (?) so many times, finally looked up charm suggestions online. Made it... easier.

The Profound Darkness of Phantasy Star IV. First encountered this when I was a kid, got owned. Your choice of 5th member makes a big difference, can make your life a lot easier. Ya know, I'm not quite sure this should be on the list, but I struggled with it.

Quite a few of the Final Fantasies have bosses I struggled with. Chaos of I, have to dish out enough damage before he heals. Kefka of VI, Sephiroth of VII, got a gauntlet first. BFA of X, that dude's epic if you run straight through with no grinding. Same for Bhunivelze of XIII-3. I don't recall the others (II, III, IV, V, VIII, IX, XII, XIV, XV) being challenging.

Fou-Lu of Breath of Fire IV. May be a case of underleveling, or poor party choice, but he owned me a couple times.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Final bosses which absolutely body you (spoilers)

I posted on the other thread about Alduin from Skyrim, but it is worth noting that in addition to the two dlc bosses, Karstagg and the Ebony Warrior are both post-endgame bosses that are much more tricky.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Vergil, from Devil May Cry 3 and 5. One of the best boss fights in action game history, in both games, and he will make you work for your win. Do not expect to beat him on the first try, unless maybe you're on the easy difficulty. In DMC5 on Dante Must Die, the game's highest non-gimmicky difficulty, he's so powerful that you actually can't use your super mode (Sin Devil Trigger) to try and wrack up a ton of damage on him (a legitimate strategy on lower difficulties), because even though you can armor through his attacks in that mode, he will just kill you with a few moves if you try - because your armor in that form ignores hitstun, but not damage, and he does just that much damage. I am legitimately surprised and proud to have beaten him on that difficulty.

On a similar note, while she's an optional bonus boss rather than the final boss, I feel like I should mention Sigrun/the Valkyrie Queen from God of War '18 anyway. She has all of the abilities of the other Valkyrie and then some, and those were already not easy fights unless you over-leveled. Took me literal hours of retries to beat her (I believe on hard difficulty, though I'm not 100% sure).

Oh geez, thinking of other action games: Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Even facing him the first time on normal difficulty it took a few tries to beat him. Facing him on Very Hard, the game's second-highest difficulty, was tough enough that I never actually played through the game on Revengeance (the hardest difficulty) - decided that beating Very Hard was accomplishment enough.

While (like in any RPG) it's dependent on how much you leveled, I recall the final boss of Persona 3 being particularly difficult the first time I faced it as well (not naming because I refuse to spoil a Persona game, even if it is 14 years old). That one took hours just because the fight can take that long, IIRC.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Isshin the Saint from Sekiro. I mean really? four phases? in a game so difficult that it trips up dark souls players? thats insane, I still have not beaten him. Genichiro beat me a lot to, and I considered that the fight of my life.

took me no small amount of tries to beat the Abyss Watchers in Dark Souls 3.

from a much easier game: for some reason, in Paper Mario I think I've only ever beaten the master toad fighter at the dojo once, and never beaten the anti guys, or kent C. koopa. those three optional bosses and the amayzee dayzees are straight up the hardest enemies to fight in Paper Mario.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The final ship in FTL habitually murders me, especially the advanced version - including when I'm flying around in a ship that can beat the snot out of basically everything else. It's never been anything other than nasty even when I won.

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    The Radiance of Hollow Knight. I died on this dude (?) so many times, finally looked up charm suggestions online. Made it... easier.

If you count optional bosses there's also Nightmare King Grimm (the dream nail version, not the normal version) which makes The Radiance look like a sluggish chump. Then there's the postgame really optional bosses, which just get out of hand, leading to yet another version of The Radiance which is far nastier.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2020-04-16 at 11:44 PM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post

If you count optional bosses there's also Nightmare King Grimm (the dream nail version, not the normal version) which makes The Radiance look like a sluggish chump. Then there's the postgame really optional bosses, which just get out of hand, leading to yet another version of The Radiance which is far nastier.
    Oh gosh. I tried NKG several times. Never beat him.

And a version of The Radiance which is far nastier... *cries*
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Isshin the Saint from Sekiro. I mean really? four phases? in a game so difficult that it trips up dark souls players? thats insane, I still have not beaten him. Genichiro beat me a lot to, and I considered that the fight of my life.

took me no small amount of tries to beat the Abyss Watchers in Dark Souls 3.

from a much easier game: for some reason, in Paper Mario I think I've only ever beaten the master toad fighter at the dojo once, and never beaten the anti guys, or kent C. koopa. those three optional bosses and the amayzee dayzees are straight up the hardest enemies to fight in Paper Mario.
    Isshin the Gun Saint was also my pick. Sekiro is brutally hard, but you progress your skills over the course of the game until you finally think you're good. Then Isshin laughs at you, kicks you in the teeth, and makes you actually get good.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

The final ship in FTL habitually murders me, especially the advanced version - including when I'm flying around in a ship that can beat the snot out of basically everything else. It's never been anything other than nasty even when I won.
    Yeah, the advanced final boss in FTL is something that bodies me super-hard. I've never really properly been able to juggle mentally everything the advanced stuff throws at you, even in the body of the game. Let alone compounded with everything else the boss has. I guess the hacking and mind control just punish my preferred tactics of slow, methodical destruction. The standard one (when not on hard - never been able to pull that off) is... doable, though one slip up usually signals death to me. I wouldn't have it any other way, though. Because, man, does it never feel unearned, or like there's a lack of tension.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I personally think the ape and the big demon were a bit harder than good old Isshin, which felt only "reasonably" hard to me, but these things are often different for everyone else anyway.

Still, compared to Dark Souls, Sekiro actually puts their save points really close to the bosses, so that was something to be immensely grateful for.

Yeah, and it's especially exacerbated by the fact that it's a roguelike and you'd have to grind another hour-and-a-half (and that if everything else goes well) just to have another go at it. I always found Stealth and Teleporter to work well at it, though.

My contender would be the Nuclear Throne, from Nuclear Throne, honestly. There are times that I cruised up to the final level, no problems, only to die in the first five seconds to it.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2020-04-17 at 08:33 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Isshin may be my favorite boss to fight in all of FromSoft and he’s awesome. But I’d give Demon of Hatred the most difficult boss in the game title. And if we’re including subbosses the 7 Spears and general wrecked me. So sad there was no dlc for Sekiro.

Anyway, most difficult final bosses I remember getting repeatedly killed by Tabuu in SSBB. Don’t know if that holds up, since I haven’t played brawl in a long time.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Going old school here but the Dragonlord from Dragon Warrior, a.k.a. Dragon Quest on the NES. The little walkthrough booklet that came with the game recommended fighting him at level 20, but even at 3-4 levels higher than that I needed several tries and good RNG on the damage numbers to beat him. And slogging through his castle to even get to the fight is a huge drain on resources as well.
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2020-04-20 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, a more recent one... the final boss of Radiant Historia. All the bosses in that game have... issues (generally with being hard-hitting damage-sponges that ignore all the tactics you've been taught to use throughout the game), but the final boss is... brutal. To me at least - I might just be severely underlevelled, because the feedback in that game is harsh (some enemies go down in one hit, and others in the same area basically one-to-two shot you).

You start out with a battle against a different foe, who requires a completely different set of tactics. And then can't swap out your party. First phase isn't bad. Just tedious. Second phase... it has an attack that puts your full party to sleep. And then an attack that, unlike every other attack in the game, doesn't wake sleeping targets. And you only wake up if damaged or have a status cure spell/item used on you. So, if you don't have an item to resist it, you die.
    And then the third phase has a full-party attack that dealt more damage to each of my party members than they had max HP.

But, the worst part is... if you lose... you have to do the whole thing again. Including the pre-final boss. Which takes a bout a half hour to get through to get to the third phase, because everything is so hp-sponge, and so damage that you have to spend half the time healing, and making sure to MP regen. And if you use the "retry a battle" mechanic resource that they've given you... psyche, it sends you back to the save point before the penultimate boss, only you're able to skip the cutscene when you retry because you've already "seen it". Which no other battle does. It's frustrating, and, to this day, I have never beat it because it's just so annoying to try and figure out what I've been doing wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Do bonus bosses count? Because Darkeater Midir brought my Dark Souls 3 playthrough to a screeching halt because I didn't want to lose the titanite slab and covenant I'd get if I beat him before the penultimate boss of the DLC. I just could not figure him out- He triggered a frustration that his fellow true Dragons Kalameet and Sinh didn't. Kalameet was tough but fair, and Sinh was annoying (too much flying around out of reach), but neither shut me down the way Midir did.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Isshin may be my favorite boss to fight in all of FromSoft and he’s awesome. But I’d give Demon of Hatred the most difficult boss in the game title. And if we’re including subbosses the 7 Spears and general wrecked me. So sad there was no dlc for Sekiro.

Anyway, most difficult final bosses I remember getting repeatedly killed by Tabuu in SSBB. Don’t know if that holds up, since I haven’t played brawl in a long time.
    I think I honestly died more to the stupid raging bull than anything else on my first run. It does chip damage even if you parry, at a time in the game when you likely have almost no life bar and only 2 heals.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Do bonus bosses count? Because Darkeater Midir brought my Dark Souls 3 playthrough to a screeching halt because I didn't want to lose the titanite slab and covenant I'd get if I beat him before the penultimate boss of the DLC. I just could not figure him out- He triggered a frustration that his fellow true Dragons Kalameet and Sinh didn't. Kalameet was tough but fair, and Sinh was annoying (too much flying around out of reach), but neither shut me down the way Midir did.
    Midir remains the only Souls boss that I have never beaten. His boss run is too frustrating, you die too quickly to him, and the fight goes on too long. He's just not fun to fight against.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

In terms of bonus/Ultimate bosses, my experience with SMT games are the most soul-destroying. Be it God, The Reaper, Lucifer, Beelzebub, or the Velvet Room attendants -- they're never fights you can win just through high stats or equipment as they already work on the assumption that you're New Game+.

Have OP spells for the main game? They'll either resist or be completely immune to them. Want to use elemental and physical immune skills to cheese them yourself? They'll immediately punish you with a one-hit-kill for trying. You actually have to do the battle repeatedly and map out everything you need to do on each individual turn relative to their AI to get anywhere. and even then get some luck with the RNG mechanics.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The back-to-back-to-back boss fights at the end of Cave Story are something I've never been able to beat. Granted, that might have just been the game outstripping my skill level by that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

The Radiance from Hollow Knight, certainly. Nightmare King Grimm is even worse, I didn't even try that one much. I only managed normal Grimm after tons and tons and tons of attempts, NKG just tables me in, I don't know, two minutes?

I also remember the last fight in Bioshock: Infinite, in which you took on some kind of giant robot bird, assisted by airship raiding-parties and some kind of artillery firing at you as well? I remember it being absolutely frantic and actually kind of fun after most of the game was pretty easy, but that one made me turn down the difficulty and finally give up and just watch the ending on youtube after a few evenings of dying over and over.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The Radiance from Hollow Knight, certainly. Nightmare King Grimm is even worse, I didn't even try that one much. I only managed normal Grimm after tons and tons and tons of attempts, NKG just tables me in, I don't know, two minutes?
    Another person who never managed to beat NKG here. Regular Grimm is tough but manageable for me. Once you recognize his telegraphs, they're easy enough to dodge and counter, but if you mess up or lose focus for even a second, he'll punish it. NKG takes that and just cranks it up to eleven. There are no breaks, keep moving or you die, forget healing unless you can stun him. It's more mentally exhausting for me than anything else.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I beat NKG after quite abit of effort but did enjoy it since it was a short run back, but sod the Patheons. I don't want to have to spend 30+ mins fighting perfectly to fight one boss again. I dunno why they didn't make the benches checkpoints so you could grind you way through if you needed to.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    In terms of bonus/Ultimate bosses, my experience with SMT games are the most soul-destroying. Be it God, The Reaper, Lucifer, Beelzebub, or the Velvet Room attendants -- they're never fights you can win just through high stats or equipment as they already work on the assumption that you're New Game+.

Have OP spells for the main game? They'll either resist or be completely immune to them. Want to use elemental and physical immune skills to cheese them yourself? They'll immediately punish you with a one-hit-kill for trying. You actually have to do the battle repeatedly and map out everything you need to do on each individual turn relative to their AI to get anywhere. and even then get some luck with the RNG mechanics.
    To be fair, in MegaTen and it's subseries, in my rather limited experience, the final bosses tend to be tough but fair. Two hour long battles that will throw around OP spells like they're going out of fashion, spamming Almighty and instant kills like there's no tomorrow, but they're not going to their a 9999 Almighty hit all attack at you for having covered your weaknesses.

Yeah, if you think you're beating these bosses at level 60 with a rendition set of demons think again. You'll want to be in your late 70s at least, go to the boss, die at least once, reload, make your way back to the Cathedral of Shadows, fuse a team specifically to counter that boss's strategy, hike your arse back to the boss, die for a different reason, return to step 4.

The bonus bosses are exactly as you described though. While the main games might throw at you anything up to and including 'if you have any weaknesses in your party the event will spam them for as many extra turns as they can, and use multihit skills for it if none of your team null, absorb, or reflect the element' the Bonus bosses take the cake in getting off in your tears. You'll breast the final boss in the 70s or 80s, the bonus bosses tend to assume you'll be level 99 and require you to file a specific strategy (although now Atlas has released bonus bosses that expect you to be much higher). I've never come close to beating one.

Actually, on that note, all MegaTen bosses will destroy you if you don't follow the correct strategy anyway, they'll just do it shortly slower. Yes Matador,I did bring my own Hit/Evade boosting skills this time.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Seconded.
    Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    Another person who never managed to beat NKG here. Regular Grimm is tough but manageable for me. Once you recognize his telegraphs, they're easy enough to dodge and counter, but if you mess up or lose focus for even a second, he'll punish it. NKG takes that and just cranks it up to eleven. There are no breaks, keep moving or you die, forget healing unless you can stun him. It's more mentally exhausting for me than anything else.
    Seconded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I beat NKG after quite abit of effort but did enjoy it since it was a short run back, but sod the Patheons. I don't want to have to spend 30+ mins fighting perfectly to fight one boss again. I dunno why they didn't make the benches checkpoints so you could grind you way through if you needed to.
    Seconded.

In particular I have the same issue with the Pantheons. Instead of focusing on getting better on a single boss, you have to run through the whole dang thing over and over. For this reason I'll never 100% (or 112%, whatever it is) Hollow Knight.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah... I stopped playing Hollow Knight before the Pantheons came out and they didn't really make me want to go back. I just watched some videos of the new bosses. Some look quite neat.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #24
    Spamalot in the Playground

Jublieus from Bayonetta

Kronika from MK11 story mode

G4 and Super-Tyrant from RE2 Remake

Nightmare from Remnant: From The Ashes

The High Dragun from Enter the Gungeon

Pretty much any final boss in a WoW raid on Heroic+
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

Jubileus isn't that hard. As long as you recognise and get away from the vortex move she only uses in the final phase (just beast within out of the ring of hair wotsits as soon as they drop) you're fine against her. None of her attacks are dangerous or all that difficult to avoid and they come in ponderously slowly giving you loads of time to relax in between, and there are pretty generous checkpoints in the fight. Even on NSIC the only problem is that your damage output drops because she doesn't stay available to hit.

Jeanne is much much harder, especially on NSIC. She's also way harder than Balder (who has less health and more checkpoints in his fight, is slower and less aggressive, and gives witch time off all his attacks with perfect parries from Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa).

Also, the relatively standard Gracious/Glorious enemies that start appearing on Hard/NSIC are harder than all the bosses except Jeanne, and you regularly have to fight three at once.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2020-04-22 at 12:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Both the final boss and the extra boss of Demon's Crest.

Dracula X Chronicles-
    Spoiler: Drac
    Show
    has another form compared to classic RoB with some really annoying attacks at that.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

The final boss of Arc the Lad 2 (I think it was called the Dark One or something like that, but I haven't played the game in more than 15 years so I don't really remember anymore) was pretty ridiculous.

My team was massively overpowered and over-leveled because I went and played through the Monster Arena disc before finishing Arc the Lad 2, and I discovered how to clone items including the most OP equipment and the items that would just level up your characters, using save data manipulation if I remember right. And even doing all that, it still took me two hours to beat the final boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Jubileus isn't that hard. As long as you recognise and get away from the vortex move she only uses in the final phase (just beast within out of the ring of hair wotsits as soon as they drop) you're fine against her. None of her attacks are dangerous or all that difficult to avoid and they come in ponderously slowly giving you loads of time to relax in between, and there are pretty generous checkpoints in the fight. Even on NSIC the only problem is that your damage output drops because she doesn't stay available to hit.

Jeanne is much much harder, especially on NSIC. She's also way harder than Balder (who has less health and more checkpoints in his fight, is slower and less aggressive, and gives witch time off all his attacks with perfect parries from Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa).

Also, the relatively standard Gracious/Glorious enemies that start appearing on Hard/NSIC are harder than all the bosses except Jeanne, and you regularly have to fight three at once.
    Only boss I've really heard of from Bayonetta is Rodin. So I'd guess he has a pretty large reputation.

29. - Top - End - #29

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Only boss I've really heard of from Bayonetta is Rodin. So I'd guess he has a pretty large reputation.
    Rodin is the optional superboss (and shopkeeper).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Spamalot in the Playground

Jubileus isn't bad once the pattern is down, but I'd comfortably wager she "bodied" everybody when they got there the first time. (In before "not me!")

I'm not sure Rodin counts for the thread, being optional/secret, but yes he's pretty hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)