New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Final bosses which absolutely body you (spoilers)

Bit of a niche example here - Yu-Gi-Oh: Reshef of Destruction.

A bit of explanation for those who haven't seen it: YGORoD uses a deckbuilding system where every card has a point value, and the total value of your deck cannot go above a maximum that you can raise by winning duels. (You also have to earn the cards themselves the same way.) In order to progress anywhere in the story, you WILL have to grind like crazy to boost your deck limit higher than a cheat code can get it, just so you can stand up to the monsters played by your AI opponents.

The final boss fight is a back-to-back pair of duels versus main antagonist Sol Chevalsky followed by the titular Reshef. You start with the standard 8000 Life Points and don't get to heal between them. Sol has 20000 LP (not a typo) and his deck has multiple ways to either one-shot you or put you in an unwinnable situation. Reshef has 40000 LP (also not a typo) and his deck is even MORE powerful. No matter how much you grind, no matter how much you cheat, only luck will get you to the end screen. No, really - bring a stack of Action Replay codes to this fight and watch yourself lose the minute your opponent topdecks any of their "I win" buttons.

Easily the cheapest RPG boss I've ever faced.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Erishkegal, Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns.

I decided to play the game on Hard, which worked out perfectly for most of it. Then I encounter Squid-Face, and...well, there's a number of things working against you:
    • He has 3 phases, and any failure to breach through one phase will result in him reverting to his first phase. Even if he keeps the missing HP, it's basically impossible to defeat him unless you do it in one continuous run. The damage and chaos he causes, as well as the damage he takes, increases with each phase, but you will burn out of resources unless you can burst him during his final phase, and that requires a lot of resource management.
    • You'll generally need some of the best gear in the game in order to have a chance to beat him.
    • Specific moves are needed in order to fight him during some of his phases, since you'll need to find a way to keep Lightning from touching the floor, otherwise you'll basically die. You can stay off the floor by spamming a melee attack, but spamming a melee move will usually make you run out of energy, so you have to find some way of staying airborne without burning out, whether that means sucking up the resource loss by spamming your melee attack as slowly as you can afford (too slow and you'll fall), or by tediously cycling between different movesets to cast a spell -> Moveswap -> Melee -> Moveswap -> Cast a Spell, Repeat.
    • FFXIIILR is on a long-term timer (think Majora's Mask, but harder), and you're usually out of time when you reach him, so you can't go back and find better gear or moves to take him on with. You gotta work with what you have at the time of the fight.

My strategy was basically abuse of on-hit elemental potions that did a flat amount of damage while spamming a low-cost, low-damage melee attack while stopping time as often as possible to try and breach past one phase to get to the next. I spent about 6 hours fighting this f***er straight, spent in 5-15 minute intervals of true suffering and frustration. It was my first experience of wanting to throw my controller across the room after playing video games for nearly 15 years (I've only shared this experience with the optional endgame challenges in Guacamelee 1+2).

I would not be surprised if there wasn't a harder boss in the world than Erishkigal on Hard Mode, at least in how demanding he is for the combination of strategy and skill.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-04-23 at 11:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

A couple of "final" bosses within the same. Going with Bloodborne's DLC The Old Hunters.

The Orphan of Kos: People say Isshin is the hardest FromSoftware boss. They used this guy as a metric. This guy will break you in every which way and is genuinely terrifying once phase two comes along. Intelligent Aggression is needed if you have a prayer of a chance to defeat him.

Laurence, The First Vicar: An optional boss in the DLC, but considered by many to be the secret final boss. This cheap bastard will test your patience and compassion towards your controller. He can be taken on with straight up melee, but you better be incredibly good at dodging and reading his movements.

Those who have Simon's Bowblade, a solid gun and high Bloodtinge should be able to handle his second phase relatively unharmed. And even then...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I vaguely remember being unable to beat the final fight against High Max in Mega Man X6. He was the main henchman of the villain, Gate, and you fight him a few times throughout the game, but he has a lot of new abilities when you face him in the final dungeons.

The villain of MMX6 designed his final dungeon the way I would if I was a Mega Man villain: pretty much covered in spikes of instant death. So even getting to him was quite difficult without the spike resistant armor, and I recall an insane jump over a deadly pit immediately before the boss room that required either flight, a mid-air dash, or Zero's double jump to pass. The whole stage was annoying with tough jumps IIRC, but imagine a jump over a bottomless death pit that has a wall coming down from the ceiling forcing you to jump low and somehow alter your trajectory after passing under it to catch on to the other side.

For these reasons, getting there in X's default armor was impossible for me (even though it would have probably been the best option for the fight); in the other two armors I couldn't find a good way of dealing damage (High Max's whole thing is being nigh invulnerable). As for Zero, he doesn't have the damage reducing effects of X's armor, so while he could do damage more easily, he was just too fragile.

Out of all the Mega Man X games that I played (I skipped the last one after the underwhelming X7, and I didn't really hear much about its release at the time), X6 remains the only one I've never beaten.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Erishkegal, Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns.

I decided to play the game on Hard, which worked out perfectly for most of it. Then I encounter Squid-Face, and...well, there's a number of things working against you:
    • He has 3 phases, and any failure to breach through one phase will result in him reverting to his first phase. Even if he keeps the missing HP, it's basically impossible to defeat him unless you do it in one continuous run. The damage and chaos he causes, as well as the damage he takes, increases with each phase, but you will burn out of resources unless you can burst him during his final phase, and that requires a lot of resource management.
    • You'll generally need some of the best gear in the game in order to have a chance to beat him.
    • Specific moves are needed in order to fight him during some of his phases, since you'll need to find a way to keep Lightning from touching the floor, otherwise you'll basically die. You can stay off the floor by spamming a melee attack, but spamming a melee move will usually make you run out of energy, so you have to find some way of staying airborne without burning out, whether that means sucking up the resource loss by spamming your melee attack as slowly as you can afford (too slow and you'll fall), or by tediously cycling between different movesets to cast a spell -> Moveswap -> Melee -> Moveswap -> Cast a Spell, Repeat.
    • FFXIIILR is on a long-term timer (think Majora's Mask, but harder), and you're usually out of time when you reach him, so you can't go back and find better gear or moves to take him on with. You gotta work with what you have at the time of the fight.

My strategy was basically abuse of on-hit elemental potions that did a flat amount of damage while spamming a low-cost, low-damage melee attack while stopping time as often as possible to try and breach past one phase to get to the next. I spent about 6 hours fighting this f***er straight, spent in 5-15 minute intervals of true suffering and frustration. It was my first experience of wanting to throw my controller across the room after playing video games for nearly 15 years (I've only shared this experience with the optional endgame challenges in Guacamelee 1+2).

I would not be surprised if there wasn't a harder boss in the world than Erishkigal on Hard Mode, at least in how demanding he is for the combination of strategy and skill.
    Hats off to you.

I played the game on normal and remember that boss being rather unpleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I vaguely remember being unable to beat the final fight against High Max in Mega Man X6. He was the main henchman of the villain, Gate, and you fight him a few times throughout the game, but he has a lot of new abilities when you face him in the final dungeons.

The villain of MMX6 designed his final dungeon the way I would if I was a Mega Man villain: pretty much covered in spikes of instant death. So even getting to him was quite difficult without the spike resistant armor, and I recall an insane jump over a deadly pit immediately before the boss room that required either flight, a mid-air dash, or Zero's double jump to pass. The whole stage was annoying with tough jumps IIRC, but imagine a jump over a bottomless death pit that has a wall coming down from the ceiling forcing you to jump low and somehow alter your trajectory after passing under it to catch on to the other side.

For these reasons, getting there in X's default armor was impossible for me (even though it would have probably been the best option for the fight); in the other two armors I couldn't find a good way of dealing damage (High Max's whole thing is being nigh invulnerable). As for Zero, he doesn't have the damage reducing effects of X's armor, so while he could do damage more easily, he was just too fragile.

Out of all the Mega Man X games that I played (I skipped the last one after the underwhelming X7, and I didn't really hear much about its release at the time), X6 remains the only one I've never beaten.
    Huh. I remember playing X6 back in the day. Don’t remember this. Need to replay it.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

One boss that I've never faced myself, but that I know off by reputation is the final boss of Drakengard 3's D branch. That boss is pretty much just a rythm game that you need to do perfectly, but the last two 'notes' occur after the screen blacks out and the narration for the final cutscene begins, with the only indication that you're not done being the chime that plays whenever the boss makes an attack that you need to counter (and that's not even talking about the camera deciding it doesn't feel like looking at the boss anymore halfway through).

See it in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49gLC9yiGOg

Also, don't know if this counts, but I'd also like to give a shout-out to the trench-runs in the last or second-to-last levels of many ace combat games. I've left quite a few planes scraped against the sides of the canyons or tunnels of those levels.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    The final boss of Arc the Lad 2 (I think it was called the Dark One or something like that, but I haven't played the game in more than 15 years so I don't really remember anymore) was pretty ridiculous.

My team was massively overpowered and over-leveled because I went and played through the Monster Arena disc before finishing Arc the Lad 2, and I discovered how to clone items including the most OP equipment and the items that would just level up your characters, using save data manipulation if I remember right. And even doing all that, it still took me two hours to beat the final boss.
    I'll second this. My main party was all 120+ in levels and the old guy caster (forget his name), I think ran him up to 210 or something ridiculous just for kicks, and even then just scraped by finishing the final boss with most of the party dead/near death. AtL2 is my favorite in the series, but I'm not going back thanks to that final boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I'll second this. My main party was all 120+ in levels and the old guy caster (forget his name), I think ran him up to 210 or something ridiculous just for kicks, and even then just scraped by finishing the final boss with most of the party dead/near death. AtL2 is my favorite in the series, but I'm not going back thanks to that final boss.
    Sounds like Gogen, I think?

Anyway, I agree 2 is the best of the series. The first game is way too short (seriously, a JRPG that you can complete in 8 hours? Ridiculous!) and honestly feels like just an extended prologue for the second game. Arc 3 has fun characters and snappy dialogue, but feels scaled back in gameplay and story from the 2nd game in many ways. Arc 2 has been on my "I should replay this game someday" list for 15 years now, but I just can't forget how absurd that final boss fight was.

Also while we're on the subject, can we talk about Choko's dungeon in Arc the Lad 1? I know this topic is final bosses and Choko is the "hidden boss who's way harder than the final boss" but that fight was insane. Just getting to her is a marathon since she's at the bottom of a 50-floor dungeon, then she's insanely strong and difficult to fight if you're not super prepared, and then you have to successfully escape the dungeon! It was insane and one of the most harrowing gaming experiences I've ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Two bosses gave me absolute nightmares as a kid, and they're both from SaGa 2 (a.k.a. Final Fantasy Legend 2).

Apollo is an absolute nightmare to fight if you have an unoptimized party, and playing as a kid this was pretty much always the case. He has sky high defense and once he transforms he AoEs your entire party for over half their health every other turn. His follow-up Masamune attack is guaranteed to kill anybody who didn't heal, and turn order is semi-random such that he can quite possibly kill a character with no chance to react. This is really bad, as there are no Phoenix Downs or equivalent items in this game - a character down in battle is out for the count except for a single use of the Heart MAGI. If the person who dropped was the one holding the Heart Magi...

The easiest way to win (without having a brokenly powerful party going into the fight) is actually to DPS race him, but that requires learning what penetrates his Aegis shield and defense. It took me ages to finally beat him...and then he exploded in my face and TPK'd the party because Dad had already fallen to the Flare/Masamune combo.

Apollo is just the Big Bad though. The true final boss is Arsenal, everybody's favorite robot with no connection to the rest of the plot. He starts out easy enough, but his final phase is pure RNG. He attacks the entire party for a RANDOM amount of damage every turn....and can do it back to back. If you roll poorly on initiative and damage it's entirely possible that he deals over 1000 damage to the entire party with no chance to respond. The max health in the game is 999.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, Mega Man Star Force 3 had two that body me. They're not the final boss of the game, or even the final boss of the postgame... but the bonus versions of the two unique bosses in the postgame. Apollo Flame and Sirius in their first versions are fine. Doable. But after you beat them, they can randomly appear as "V3" versions. And those are brutal.

Apollo Flame has a constantly regenerating barrier of health that will just absorb damage that doesn't carry over - and since you have a limited deck, it's super easy to waste some of your 30 cards on that stuff. Same with his invincible fire tornadoes that come down the entire battlefield - you have to carefully dodge into the lane of the barely faster one before it goes back. And that's just his passives. He has shield-breaking attacks, attacks that cover the whole battlefield, and flame jets that randomly leap around. Plenty of health, and a lot of damage.

But even he's nothing compared to Sirius. While Apollo at least had a water weakness, Sirius has none. And his basic attacks hit every weakness - elemental beams that he shoots, and shield-breaking swords he launches at you. And if you're hit by your weakness, you not only take double damage, but lose all your elemental boosts you've built up over time. These attacks come super quick, and in randomly changing patterns, so if you don't have lightning quick reflexes you will get hit and will get combed. He also has a constantly regenerating ice wall in front of him that takes any attack for him, so you have to time attacks to not hit that, either. And his big attack breaks the entire field, so unless you have an ability that lets you ignore holes, you will no longer be able to dodge or melee attack him - and because he has shield-breaking attacks, you can't even block.

I have never, to this day, been able to beat either of those versions of them. And there are Omega versions of each that you can unlock that have more health, do more damage, and attack even quicker...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Random Sanity View Post
    Bit of a niche example here - Yu-Gi-Oh: Reshef of Destruction.

A bit of explanation for those who haven't seen it: YGORoD uses a deckbuilding system where every card has a point value, and the total value of your deck cannot go above a maximum that you can raise by winning duels. (You also have to earn the cards themselves the same way.) In order to progress anywhere in the story, you WILL have to grind like crazy to boost your deck limit higher than a cheat code can get it, just so you can stand up to the monsters played by your AI opponents.

The final boss fight is a back-to-back pair of duels versus main antagonist Sol Chevalsky followed by the titular Reshef. You start with the standard 8000 Life Points and don't get to heal between them. Sol has 20000 LP (not a typo) and his deck has multiple ways to either one-shot you or put you in an unwinnable situation. Reshef has 40000 LP (also not a typo) and his deck is even MORE powerful. No matter how much you grind, no matter how much you cheat, only luck will get you to the end screen. No, really - bring a stack of Action Replay codes to this fight and watch yourself lose the minute your opponent topdecks any of their "I win" buttons.

Easily the cheapest RPG boss I've ever faced.
    Oh my god yes, he's awful. In a similar vain, but one that's actually FAIR is Yu-Gi-Oh the Dark Duels. It's got the same deck building mechanic, but the end Duelists are less insane. Still requires truly silly amounts of grinding to make a deck that can contain all the heavy hitters they have, but it's actually fair in that vein.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Sounds like Gogen, I think?

Anyway, I agree 2 is the best of the series. The first game is way too short (seriously, a JRPG that you can complete in 8 hours? Ridiculous!) and honestly feels like just an extended prologue for the second game. Arc 3 has fun characters and snappy dialogue, but feels scaled back in gameplay and story from the 2nd game in many ways. Arc 2 has been on my "I should replay this game someday" list for 15 years now, but I just can't forget how absurd that final boss fight was.

Also while we're on the subject, can we talk about Choko's dungeon in Arc the Lad 1? I know this topic is final bosses and Choko is the "hidden boss who's way harder than the final boss" but that fight was insane. Just getting to her is a marathon since she's at the bottom of a 50-floor dungeon, then she's insanely strong and difficult to fight if you're not super prepared, and then you have to successfully escape the dungeon! It was insane and one of the most harrowing gaming experiences I've ever had.

Gogen sounds familiar, we'll go with that.

Never did clear Choko's dungeon, farthest I ever made it was floor 25 or so I think. Watched a friend clear it though, and after watching him almost snuff it on the way out after fighting Choko, decided to move on to better things in life, which happened to be Arc 2 at that time
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Gogen sounds familiar, we'll go with that.

Never did clear Choko's dungeon, farthest I ever made it was floor 25 or so I think. Watched a friend clear it though, and after watching him almost snuff it on the way out after fighting Choko, decided to move on to better things in life, which happened to be Arc 2 at that time
    I can understand, though the rewards are worth it... eventually. In Arc 1, what you get for clearing the dungeon is Choko as an extremely powerful summon for Chongara... except that you can't use her against the final boss so there's really no reason to worry about it. Where it becomes worthwhile is in Arc 2, where she becomes a fully playable character who is absurdly strong.
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Star Ocean 2, full stop. My brother and I were both playing through the game at the same time using different recruitable characters so we'd see what the differences were story wise. He got to the final boss first and made easy work of it. I finally got to the final boss and got creamed. Neither I nor my brother could beat it with my team. Turns out its possible to make the final boss harder d/t certain events which I apparently had stumbled into. Even after making it to lvl 150 or so still couldn't beat him.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Disegaia. I reached the final boss without doing a lot of the Item World stuff that can get you really overpowered, but was still fairly strong. None of the battles beforehand gave me any real trouble, but the final boss floored me so badly I thought it must be a scripted battle you were meant to lose. I was really surprised when it gave a real Game Over screen.
    I honestly forget if I really trained and beat him myself, or just watched my friend (who did massive Item World and other stuff) wipe him out in a few hits.

Final Fantasy... I forget the number, but one of the early ones, where you boosted your stats based on what you did in combat and could gain a lot of HP by attacking yourself.
    I was doing the Playstation (or Playstation II) version of it. There's a massive dungeon with few save points before him, and I forgot the Playstation version had quick saves. I was doing well going through the dungeon, so I wasn't worried, and just fought him. Died pretty quickly.
    I gave up because it wasn't worth the time to explore the final dungeon again.
    Spoiler: key to winning
    Show
    Apparently there's a pretty trash weapon, the Blood Sword or something like that, which is incredibly effective against him. But I sold it due to limited inventory space

Some of the final bosses of SaGa Frontier seemed a lot harder than the previous things, which was doubly bad with the final dungeons often being a point-of-no-return. But they weren't so terrible as long as you prepared and had a good strategy, and kinda new what to expect (and thus grinded for stats, equipment, and combos before the point of no return).

16. - Top - End - #46

Griffon

Eternal Champions on the SNES/SEGA Genesis was a pretty hard 2D fighter, similar to Street Fighter 2 but difficult because of how crude it was.
    There were no counters or air juggles, and combos were just along the lines of "hit your opponent twice and they stagger out of reach, leaving you completely exposed for a counter-attack".
    It was also slightly bull**** because the AI had a habit of having infinite special moves (yours had to charge up over time) and could instantly transition from one blocked attack into another that couldn't be dodged simply because your own character physically can't play action frames that fast.

The final boss of the game, the Eternal Champion himself, is horrible. He transitions between the fighting styles of all the other fighters in the game meaning he has no direct counter, he takes less damage when you hit him, he deals more damage when he hits you, and you have to defeat him in 3 different matches - each one best of 3 - to finish the game. If you lose any match, you go back to the previous round and have to win that, then re-fight the Eternal Champion three times all over again.

That game was horrible back when I played it aged 12, and I only managed to beat it as an adult by save-scumming every single round with an emulator, and it still took HOURS.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

17. - Top - End - #47

Star Ocean 2, full stop. My brother and I were both playing through the game at the same time using different recruitable characters so we'd see what the differences were story wise. He got to the final boss first and made easy work of it. I finally got to the final boss and got creamed. Neither I nor my brother could beat it with my team. Turns out its possible to make the final boss harder d/t certain events which I apparently had stumbled into. Even after making it to lvl 150 or so still couldn't beat him.
    Oohhh that’s unfortunate. Yeah, I don’t think people are supposed to fight the limiters off version on their first playthrough. Bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Disegaia. I reached the final boss without doing a lot of the Item World stuff that can get you really overpowered, but was still fairly strong. None of the battles beforehand gave me any real trouble, but the final boss floored me so badly I thought it must be a scripted battle you were meant to lose. I was really surprised when it gave a real Game Over screen.
    I honestly forget if I really trained and beat him myself, or just watched my friend (who did massive Item World and other stuff) wipe him out in a few hits.

Final Fantasy... I forget the number, but one of the early ones, where you boosted your stats based on what you did in combat and could gain a lot of HP by attacking yourself.
    I was doing the Playstation (or Playstation II) version of it. There's a massive dungeon with few save points before him, and I forgot the Playstation version had quick saves. I was doing well going through the dungeon, so I wasn't worried, and just fought him. Died pretty quickly.
    Show
    Apparently there's a pretty trash weapon, the Blood Sword or something like that, which is incredibly effective against him. But I sold it due to limited inventory space

Some of the final bosses of SaGa Frontier seemed a lot harder than the previous things, which was doubly bad with the final dungeons often being a point-of-no-return. But they weren't so terrible as long as you prepared and had a good strategy, and kinda new what to expect (and thus grinded for stats, equipment, and combos before the point of no return).
    Oooh. All good.

Disgaea, yeah if you totally skip the optional stuff you can get owned pretty hard.

I found Emperor not too bad... but I played the iOS version, may have been easier.

SaGa Frontier. Ugh. I love that game, but some of the scenarios felt super rushed, had to do a bunch of grinding to stand a chance against the boss because the story didn’t have enough content to get you up to snuff.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Eternal Champions on the SNES/SEGA Genesis was a pretty hard 2D fighter, similar to Street Fighter 2 but difficult because of how crude it was.
    I wasn't even thinking fighting games, but that opens up a LOT of possibilities. However, I cannot think of a more appropriate one than Eternal Champions.

You touched on this, but I want to expand on it for others who haven't played the game. EC limits special move abuse by giving you a pretty small meter that drains when you use certain moves. You also have a taunt move that drains your opponent's meter... except that as Wraith said, the meter is meaningless for AI players. They still have it, but draining it to zero does nothing because they will still continue to spam special moves til the cows come home. The game reaches stupid hard levels of difficulty well before you ever even get to the boss, not the least because of the uneven playing field. I didn't even know you had to fight the final boss 3 times because he's nearly impossible to beat once. I've owned the game for at least 26 years at this point, and I have never beaten it once even though I was a pretty serious fighting game enthusiast back in the day.

Several Tekken games have final bosses that are complete BS, but none of them hold a candle to the Eternal Champion in terms of sheer absurd difficulty.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post

Show

I had a somewhat different problem with Disgaea 1's final boss.
    Spoiler: related to ending/plot
    Show
    I think my party would probably have been fine and done pretty well overall. But my highest-level character with all of the good magic and such was Flonne, so not being able to use her was a bit of a problem.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Shadow Armor was the least-cruel way of getting through the lab I found, although it's impossible to make that jump you mentioned with Shadow Armor unless you had the jumper part... which can be lost forever if a nightmare infects the reploid carrying it. Once you get to High Max, you can use Giga Attacks to cut off about 1/4 of his life. The Shadow Armor's charged sword attack is also just large enough to cut through his shield and stun him as well.

Now Gate, boss of the next stage? He's evidence that the designers of X6 were cruel and malicious. You fight him over a bottomless pit. There are small platforms, about 1.25x your character width, irregularly spaced throughout the room. Gate can fly. He is also immune to all of your weapons. The only way to damage him is to destroy the (HP sponge) projectiles he fires. One specific color will make a short-range explosion that will harm him. That's one projectile, out of ~5 he can fire. You still want to destroy those other colors, because some slow you down, some fire shots at you, another one pulls you toward it and into the pit, and one even summons nightmares, because X6 hates you. Meanwhile, he's hovering around the room, crashing into you, sometimes destroying those small platforms temporarily.

The final boss doesn't get invincibility frames so one giga attack knocks off about half of its life bar.

The last boss of Final Fantasy Legend 1, Creator, got mentioned in the easy bosses thread because you can kill him with a chainsaw due to a bug. But if you try to fight him without that, it's brutal. He's immune to elemental attacks, status attacks, and takes half damage from physical attacks. That leaves about 4 or 5 things you can deal real damage with. He also blasts your party with AoE attacks, and there's no AoE healing in this game. One reason the saw bug is so infamous is because it's the only way 90% of people can win the fight.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Neo Exdeath from FFV, for the sole reason of "I have done too many SCCs where I just don't have DPS enough to beat him before I die from having no AoE heals". Rest in peace, Summoners with a bunch of Air Knives.

Cackletta's Soul (M&L Superstar Saga) was also a remarkably difficult boss when I first tried my hand it at because she seems to have endless amounts of health, requires you to go through Bowletta first, and has lots of attacks with various pieces of timing. It escalates when you effectively need to not let her attack while someone is dead, because the game makes your dodging abilities much, much heavier. You will screw up if this happens.
    I mean, she also has a Kefka-esque "you start the battle with 1 HP" scenario, but any reasonable scenario should let you drop a Nut and heal both of the bros.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Do bonus bosses count? Because Darkeater Midir brought my Dark Souls 3 playthrough to a screeching halt because I didn't want to lose the titanite slab and covenant I'd get if I beat him before the penultimate boss of the DLC. I just could not figure him out- He triggered a frustration that his fellow true Dragons Kalameet and Sinh didn't. Kalameet was tough but fair, and Sinh was annoying (too much flying around out of reach), but neither shut me down the way Midir did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Midir remains the only Souls boss that I have never beaten. His boss run is too frustrating, you die too quickly to him, and the fight goes on too long. He's just not fun to fight against.
    Yeah, the issue with Midir is there is no "trick" to "figure out". He's a wall of pure meat that has resistances to every type of damage in the game, including the one that's supposed to be the weakness of all dragons.

Midir is the most un-Souls-like boss in the entire extended Souls franchise because even when you "git gud" he's a boring slog to fight against since all he brings to the table in terms of mechanics (if you can even call them that) is a dickload of HP and damage reduction. Pretty much nothing you can do will save time against him.

I'll nominate Remnant: From the Ashes final boss, Dreamer/Nightmare. A 2 phase boss fight where each stage is frustrating in its own way. The first stage is fairly easy, just annoying; Dreamer can only be damaged by head shots, and his head is TINY, and moves erratically.

Nightmare is hot trash, with a gimmick mechanic you can only figure out by complete accident (by design). He's effectively invincible (damageable, but with HP measured in what I think is the billions) until he gives you the mechanic at random intervals (very far apart if you're playing co-op as well, since he only does it to one person at a time).

It's the worst kind of difficult boss; impossible until you figure out the gimmick, and then just slow and grindy, but trivial.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_S View Post
    Shadow Armor was the least-cruel way of getting through the lab I found, although it's impossible to make that jump you mentioned with Shadow Armor unless you had the jumper part... which can be lost forever if a nightmare infects the reploid carrying it. Once you get to High Max, you can use Giga Attacks to cut off about 1/4 of his life. The Shadow Armor's charged sword attack is also just large enough to cut through his shield and stun him as well.
    Yeah, I'm going to guess I didn't have that part, because I could not get to High Max in the Shadow Armor. Was it something you got for rescuing friendly reploids or something? That was a thing in that game, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_S View Post
    Now Gate, boss of the next stage? He's evidence that the designers of X6 were cruel and malicious. You fight him over a bottomless pit. There are small platforms, about 1.25x your character width, irregularly spaced throughout the room. Gate can fly. He is also immune to all of your weapons. The only way to damage him is to destroy the (HP sponge) projectiles he fires. One specific color will make a short-range explosion that will harm him. That's one projectile, out of ~5 he can fire. You still want to destroy those other colors, because some slow you down, some fire shots at you, another one pulls you toward it and into the pit, and one even summons nightmares, because X6 hates you. Meanwhile, he's hovering around the room, crashing into you, sometimes destroying those small platforms temporarily.

The final boss doesn't get invincibility frames so one giga attack knocks off about half of its life bar.
    But you know, I'm suddenly much happier that I quit the game when I did. Saved me from having to go through THAT BS right there.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Yeah, the issue with Midir is there is no "trick" to "figure out". He's a wall of pure meat that has resistances to every type of damage in the game, including the one that's supposed to be the weakness of all dragons.

Midir is the most un-Souls-like boss in the entire extended Souls franchise because even when you "git gud" he's a boring slog to fight against since all he brings to the table in terms of mechanics (if you can even call them that) is a dickload of HP and damage reduction. Pretty much nothing you can do will save time against him.

I'll nominate Remnant: From the Ashes final boss, Dreamer/Nightmare. A 2 phase boss fight where each stage is frustrating in its own way. The first stage is fairly easy, just annoying; Dreamer can only be damaged by head shots, and his head is TINY, and moves erratically.

Nightmare is hot trash, with a gimmick mechanic you can only figure out by complete accident (by design). He's effectively invincible (damageable, but with HP measured in what I think is the billions) until he gives you the mechanic at random intervals (very far apart if you're playing co-op as well, since he only does it to one person at a time).

It's the worst kind of difficult boss; impossible until you figure out the gimmick, and then just slow and grindy, but trivial.
    Honestly I'd say Midir is easier than Gael even if not as fun. Just smack the face for massive damage, you don't even need to do full damage just get him to about 20% then get a free kill.

25. - Top - End - #55

Chimera

Yeah, I'm going to guess I didn't have that part, because I could not get to High Max in the Shadow Armor. Was it something you got for rescuing friendly reploids or something? That was a thing in that game, right?
    If I remember correctly, you could get jumper if you:

• Went to Blizzard Wolfang's stage
    • With Blaze Heatnix's nightmare effect active
    • Dodged the flaming meteorites falling from the sky
    • Found the extra path opened up by the falling firey rocks
    • Were in the blade or shadow armors, or (I think) Zero
    • jumped/flew up a particular shaft to rescue a reploid
    • before the nightmare infected it, which could happen offscreen if you walked too far and got knocked back, for example by a falling meteorite.

If you fail to do those things, then the only ways to make that jump as X are using the blade armor, or using Blaze Heatnix's weapon to hang in midair because it's slightly glitched. X6 is special.

Maybe this is due to mechanics more than anything else, but Dragon Warrior 4's Necrosaro was lethal. In that game, you have 4 AoE healing options: Sage's stone heals 40-60 HP, the Healus spell heals 70-90, the Healusall spell heals everyone to full, and the Dew of World Tree is a one-use Healusall item. In the 7th and final phase of his fight, you're being battered by his gleaming, icy gust of wind breath, which hits your whole party for 90-120 damage. He gets two turns per round, and will frequently dispel your buffs.

Ok, you say, it's a damage race, we can also re-apply our buffs and consistently use Healus to top off. But in DW4, you only controlled the hero character in the final chapter. Other characters were AI-controlled. While impressive for the NES, it made this fight specifically infamous. Your main healer, Cristo, didn't like using Healus much. No, he would spend his turns and MP casting instant death spells. Every one would fail. It's so bad that the speedrun of the game specifically plans a part of the final fight around this AI quirk- you make the boss immune to all spells so that Cristo won't cast spells on him.

When Cristo appeared in the musou-style Dragon Quest Heroes game later, his ultimate attack referenced this by having him repeatedly cast failed instant death spells.
    Last edited by Greg_S; 2020-05-07 at 10:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

If we're listing fighting game bosses, Arcana Heart 3: Love Max has a couple doozies.

Main boss of the story mode is Ragnarok, which is a platformer boss you have to fight with fighting game controls. Same time limit as regular matches, no continues. It's generally the time limit that'll do you in, because one of the targets you have to smash is waaaaay up at the top of the screen and just one hit from his MANY projectiles can easily send you back to the bottom.

Then there's the bonus boss, Parace L'Sia. Parace ticks pretty much every box on the "SNK boss" checklist, and could body a lot of SNK's own bosses. Teleport spam, absolute attack priority, high damage output (big combos and supers that take most or all your health), constant rapid health regeneration, auto-charging super meter, input reading, a cocoon move which fully restores her health and meter if you don't beat down its independant crapton of health ... oy. Just oy. You're not going to beat Parace unless she lets you, full stop.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Mega Man 7's Dr. Wily Capsule.

Random positioning that may leave him out of reach of most of your attacks, fast-moving homing shots that combine with the prior aspect to make "React to take damage from the thing that will hurt your the least" scenarios, and a misleading weakness to the weapon that's probably hardest to hit him with. Yes, he's a much more reasonable final boss once you know which of his homing shots hurts your strategy least, that there's a weapon that doesn't do extra damage to him but is easy to hit him with, and that there's a way to interrupt his homing shot attack, but you're not going into the fight knowing all of that unless you spoiled yourself ahead of time. The team was given orders to "make the very last fight insanely hard," and, well, there's a reason it's an assist trophy in Smash Bros.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Mega Man 7's Dr. Wily Capsule.

Random positioning that may leave him out of reach of most of your attacks, fast-moving homing shots that combine with the prior aspect to make "React to take damage from the thing that will hurt your the least" scenarios, and a misleading weakness to the weapon that's probably hardest to hit him with. Yes, he's a much more reasonable final boss once you know which of his homing shots hurts your strategy least, that there's a weapon that doesn't do extra damage to him but is easy to hit him with, and that there's a way to interrupt his homing shot attack, but you're not going into the fight knowing all of that unless you spoiled yourself ahead of time. The team was given orders to "make the very last fight insanely hard," and, well, there's a reason it's an assist trophy in Smash Bros.
    Agreed, but you've got to admit that music is pretty baller
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Cackletta's Soul (M&L Superstar Saga) was also a remarkably difficult boss when I first tried my hand it at because she seems to have endless amounts of health, requires you to go through Bowletta first, and has lots of attacks with various pieces of timing. It escalates when you effectively need to not let her attack while someone is dead, because the game makes your dodging abilities much, much heavier. You will screw up if this happens.
    I mean, she also has a Kefka-esque "you start the battle with 1 HP" scenario, but any reasonable scenario should let you drop a Nut and heal both of the bros.
    I remember her not being that difficult... but I was also abusing the Mush Badge on both Mario and Luigi, so I was wiping out most fights with a single Advanced Cyclone Bros.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

30. - Top - End - #60

DwarfClericGuy

Technically, the boss at the end of Darkest Dungeon. Even if you win, you don't win.