New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Final bosses which absolutely body you (spoilers)

I'll list Norman, the Ultimate Abyss from Resident Evil Revelations.

This guy looks like the many superhuman tyrant models faced in previous games: humanoid size and shape- albeit taller than any human, tremendous strength, an oversized claw and can take several clips from any gun before it gets mildly inconvenienced. This, of course, is par for the course in Resident Evil bosses.

What makes the Ultimate Abyss a nightmare to fight is that it teleports around the room, can blind you momentarily, can create an illusory duplicate of himself to fool you into shooting the figment as the real deal punishes you for your mistake, has an AoE ground slam that covers a large area and can knock you prone. And when in its final throes, it will bum rush you, possibly one shotting you... while having an illusory double to make things tougher, since you don't know which to dodge before the inevitable happens.

You do have back up in this fight- Chris Redfield. But he might as well be eye candy at this point as all he does is shoot from his 9mm, barely even tickling the boss as it focuses entirely on Jill, the protagonist.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Technically, the boss at the end of Darkest Dungeon. Even if you win, you don't win.
    I hated that about that game. Plus the enforced character loss. I get that it fits the theme of the game, but it still annoys me.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    I'll list Norman, the Ultimate Abyss from Resident Evil Revelations.

This guy looks like the many superhuman tyrant models faced in previous games: humanoid size and shape- albeit taller than any human, tremendous strength, an oversized claw and can take several clips from any gun before it gets mildly inconvenienced. This, of course, is par for the course in Resident Evil bosses.

What makes the Ultimate Abyss a nightmare to fight is that it teleports around the room, can blind you momentarily, can create an illusory duplicate of himself to fool you into shooting the figment as the real deal punishes you for your mistake, has an AoE ground slam that covers a large area and can knock you prone. And when in its final throes, it will bum rush you, possibly one shotting you... while having an illusory double to make things tougher, since you don't know which to dodge before the inevitable happens.

You do have back up in this fight- Chris Redfield. But he might as well be eye candy at this point as all he does is shoot from his 9mm, barely even tickling the boss as it focuses entirely on Jill, the protagonist.
    Wuuuuuuut teleport?

So I’ve played a lot of REs, not not Revelations. Is there any lore for this?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Wuuuuuuut teleport?

So I’ve played a lot of REs, not not Revelations. Is there any lore for this?
    The game is very good and delves into the new virus - T Abyss - altering sea life and turning those infected into a new variant of “zombie” called the Ooze.

There is, sadly, no lore behind why this specific boss can teleport, other than that the antagonist, Norman, takes a highly concentrated dose of the virus, likely giving him a stronger mutation than any previous infected in the game.

You can watch videos of the final boss on You Tube and judge for yourself how hard he is. This is a game where invisible Hunters were introduced, after all.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    The game is very good and delves into the new virus - T Abyss - altering sea life and turning those infected into a new variant of “zombie” called the Ooze.

There is, sadly, no lore behind why this specific boss can teleport, other than that the antagonist, Norman, takes a highly concentrated dose of the virus, likely giving him a stronger mutation than any previous infected in the game.

You can watch videos of the final boss on You Tube and judge for yourself how hard he is. This is a game where invisible Hunters were introduced, after all.
    Based on a quick wiki walk, while there's no specific lore on why he teleports, there is a description that suggests he may not actually be teleporting.

"The mutated form of Norman, leader of the international terrorist organization Veltro, following self-administration of the t-Abyss virus. His actions can fog the mind, and he cannot be defeated unless one sees through his illusions."
    It may be that he's using some kind of mental manipulation ability to SEEM like he's teleporting, especially since from a look at the boss fight he can also make illusory duplicates of himself and such.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Based on a quick wiki walk, while there's no specific lore on why he teleports, there is a description that suggests he may not actually be teleporting.

It may be that he's using some kind of mental manipulation ability to SEEM like he's teleporting, especially since from a look at the boss fight he can also make illusory duplicates of himself and such.
    That would make sense. In the game, he will expel a bright light and seemingly disappear, only to attempt to sidestep Jill. In fact, Chris, while pea shooting Norman, remarks that “It’s like a disco ball in my face!”, which may allude at the boss using these newfound powers to disorient, but never actually teleport.

Still, one of the hardest bosses in the franchise by far, provided you don’t use any cheese strategy.