New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1200 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    Dang, I don't think anybody's going to improve on this one. Good work, Rollin.

Although, I'm not sure if "Snarl's" counts as one word or two for the purposes of sending, since it's a contraction. If it counts as two, then that's technically 26 words.
    Thanks! I figured a two-word contraction would fly, since there's a three-word one ("Resurrection(s)") in comic 603.

And a good thing too, bearing in mind that the Sent version, after Minrah's punching-up, would probably have gone something like this:

Thor told me, 'is priest,
    yer god dies o' dearth
    if'n tha Snarl's releas'd.

Git o'er yersel':
    save 'im an' earth
    by castin' one spell.

(Minrah doesn't use the dwarven dialect herself, but I'm sure she's capable of composing in it to some degree.)
    Last edited by Rollin; 2020-04-20 at 08:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

When I worry about something bad happening to Gobbotopia, it generally isn't "the Azurites come back across the ocean looking for revenge". There's a way scarier threat that's also a lot closer. As in, literally right on top of them.

I don't want to see the city get devoured by the Snarl, but it would make a cruel narrative sense for that to be the consequences of continuing to pursue the Plan.

3. - Top - End - #213

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    When I worry about something bad happening to Gobbotopia, it generally isn't "the Azurites come back across the ocean looking for revenge". There's a way scarier threat that's also a lot closer. As in, literally right on top of them.

I don't want to see the city get devoured by the Snarl, but it would make a cruel narrative sense for that to be the consequences of continuing to pursue the Plan.
    Yeah if something happens to Gobbotopia I think this is the most likely thing. The rift is right there and Redcloak chose to pursue the Gates thus causing it. The other possibility I could see is Xykon raining down destruction purely to spite Redcloak.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    He could easily run away, but he probably wouldn't do so immediately. His first spells would probably be meteor swarm or energy drain, then superb dispelling when that doesnt work. That'd give the order several rounds to wail on him before he'd think to run.
    If he gets ambushed he might open with superb dispelling. I mean, what are the chances that a mid/high level party's preparations for a climatic battle don't include significant buffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Well, they still want to reclaim Azure City but from what we saw in Good Deeds gone unpunished, they are doing pretty well, they all have roofs over their heads, plenty of food and materials a sweet new castle to fend off possible invaders etc. They don't actually need Azure City itself except for nostalgia.
    Presumably the vast majority of Azurites weren't in the fleet. Even a busy port city doesn't have remotely enough ships for the entire city. And logically, there should also be several times the population of the city in the countryside.

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Presumably the vast majority of Azurites weren't in the fleet. Even a busy port city doesn't have remotely enough ships for the entire city. And logically, there should also be several times the population of the city in the countryside.
    Yes, there were many, many people not in the fleet, but they are all now dead or enslaved in Gobbotopia, every current free Azurite is either there, or O-Chul, Lien or Nyu.

Also, while I'm not sure about this, I think there is a possibility that the Azurites and goblins will find a home in the remnants of Azure City, peacefuly coexisting in, I dunno Aqua Town.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, there were many, many people not in the fleet, but they are all now dead or enslaved in Gobbotopia, every current free Azurite is either there, or O-Chul, Lien or Nyu.

Also, while I'm not sure about this, I think there is a possibility that the Azurites and goblins will find a home in the remnants of Azure City, peacefuly coexisting in, I dunno Aqua Town.
    If such a thing happens - fingers crossed! - I think the very obvious threat of the Snarl poking its tentacles out of the rift would probably help. I mean, dying is one thing, but having their souls eaten is another, and I have a feeling there will be plenty of civilian goblinoids who fall victim as well as soldiers. Hinjo and Jirix both care for their respective people, and Hinjo is also a paladin - even ignoring the "spare the innocent" part and so on, it threatens the entire multiverse.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #217

For other threats to Gobbotopia, don't forget the neighboring (and expansionistic) Realm of the Dragon.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    For other threats to Gobbotopia, don't forget the neighboring (and expansionistic) Realm of the Dragon.
    Maybe. They were expansionist as of when How the Paladin Got His Scar occurred, but we don't know if that policy has continued since. It's very possible, for example, that a change in leadership also meant a change in policy. Empress Dragonfan VIII was bent on conquest. Her son, Dragonfan IX, is much more interested in keeping his holdings intact and generally being isolationist.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Colossus in the Playground

The current "White Emperor" is a white dragon. Which may imply that the previous "Red Emperor" was a red dragon.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Is this something major or just noteworthy? I don’t have the book.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #221

BlackDragon

Um what? What makes you think that because frankly it seems ludicrous that every single Azurite was not only in the area of Azure City (And we know at least 1 wasn't) but that they were also captured or killed. Also are the dropped off refugees also dead or enslaved?

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Um what? What makes you think that because frankly it seems ludicrous that every single Azurite was not only in the area of Azure City (And we know at least 1 wasn't) but that they were also captured or killed. Also are the dropped off refugees also dead or enslaved?
    Does it have to be “every single” Azurite? How many free left, compared to all those who didn’t go with the fleet and either died or were enslaved? And the refugees? You mean the people the Resistance saved? Likely all killed with them by Redcloak’s summoned creatures.

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The current "White Emperor" is a white dragon. Which may imply that the previous "Red Emperor" was a red dragon.
    Where do we see this?

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Is this something major or just noteworthy? I don’t have the book.
    In GDGU, Hinjo seems pretty worried about the Dragon attacking them and he mention that a significant part of Azurite military is guarding this frontier. But he notes that some of the Azurite nobility rather actually want it.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2020-04-21 at 02:44 AM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Where do we see this?
    It's a bizarre but hilarious single strip in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales. The advisors want to ask the Emperor how to govern the kingdom, but the dragon just wants fish and keeps killing the people pestering him without feeding him. Then the advisors try to discern some kind of meaning from the violence. "He used his frost breath... he is saying our current taxation policies are freezing economic growth."

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Okay, you're partially right, I overstated my point, those 3 are not the only living free Azurites outside of New Azureville, but I highly doubt there is a significant amount outside of it, considering those in the areas outside of Azure City have not been mentioned in-comic and presumably Gobbotopia would care about it if there were (and also I'd guess the hobbos marched through several small towns andterritories that were destroyed). And I can say that functionally everyone not on those boats in the vicinity is dead or enslaved (though enslaved is probably more likely for those outside the military), because we've seen how small the Azurite Resistances were, all the dead bodies of every free Azurite was shown off by Redcloak, and these included freed slaves and were very few. Also, I didn't remember the refugees they dropped off in allied places, but I imagine that they are now either in the same boat as the citizens of New Azureville, or were actually brought over there.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember that Azure City had a population of about ~265,000, with roughly an equal number of citizens living elsewhere. It's impossible to know how many of the latter became refugees, how many were eventually enslaved by the hobgoblins as they seized control of the hinterland, and how many were killed. Some of them might have joined the refugees from the capital city itself, but I doubt many did. It is also possible that other Azurite towns and cities weren't conquered at all.
    ungelic is us

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    Remember that Azure City had a population of about ~265,000, with roughly an equal number of citizens living elsewhere. It's impossible to know how many of the latter became refugees, how many were eventually enslaved by the hobgoblins as they seized control of the hinterland, and how many were killed. Some of them might have joined the refugees from the capital city itself, but I doubt many did. It is also possible that other Azurite towns and cities weren't conquered at all.
    I do agree with that mostly, though I will say that the fact that the Azurites have gone over the whole Southern continent implies that at least any places sailable are either conquered and far too small to provide home for many.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228

Yes, there were many, many people not in the fleet, but they are all now dead or enslaved in Gobbotopia, ....
    Emphasis mine.

The enslaved people are the main reason why the free Azurities would want to retake the city.

You can't help the dead*, and the residents of New Blue seem to be doing okay, but the oppressed are suffering and can be saved.

*Yes, in the setting you actually can help the dead, but it's logistically impossible to help the vast majority of the dead.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    If such a thing happens - fingers crossed! - I think the very obvious threat of the Snarl poking its tentacles out of the rift would probably help. I mean, dying is one thing, but having their souls eaten is another, and I have a feeling there will be plenty of civilian goblinoids who fall victim as well as soldiers. Hinjo and Jirix both care for their respective people, and Hinjo is also a paladin - even ignoring the "spare the innocent" part and so on, it threatens the entire multiverse.
    You know, such a line of thought makes me think that, astronomically a long shot as this is, the Azurites and Gobbotopians might actually team up, even if only temporarily, in the face of the existential threat of the Snarl.

That would be a fantastic place for the story to go, not least because it would be highly entertaining to watch Redcloak's absolute meltdown if he returns and finds out what his compatriots have done in his absence -- that they could get over their hate and bigotry for the good of all, when he could not.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Emphasis mine.

The enslaved people are the main reason why the free Azurities would want to retake the city.
    The problem there is that the goblins who took the city outnumbered the Azurite army three to one, and emerged victorious. And that was at the height of the Azurite's power.

Even if the refugees were entirely comprised of soldiers, they would have nowhere near the strength to be able to wage a campaign capable of retaking the city for whatever reason.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #231

Well, you have to remember that a significant chunk of the Azurite military is controlled by the nobles, who sailed off and left everyone else to suffer.

Hey, there's the basis of a trade. Exchange those nobles and their retinues for the slaves. Number wise, Gobbotopia may come out ahead.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The problem there is that the goblins who took the city outnumbered the Azurite army three to one, and emerged victorious. And that was at the height of the Azurite's power.

Even if the refugees were entirely comprised of soldiers, they would have nowhere near the strength to be able to wage a campaign capable of retaking the city for whatever reason.
    I don't think that was necessarily the height of the Azurite's power. We were told they could muster around 9,000-10,000 soldiers counting the garrisoned troops and those close enough to recall in time, but we don't know how many soldiers were deployed elsewhere, garrisoning other cities and forts but too far away to make it to Azure City in time. And that ~10,000 figure was before many nobles left with their retinues and household troops. The Azurite military was not (could not be) fully mobilized.

This is just nitpicking, though. Even an optimistic calculation (assuming that Azure City held 50% of the nation's troops, as it held 50% of the population) would make the fall of the capital and the death of most of its troops a devastating blow. Furthermore, we know Blueriver Fort was the second most important settlement in military terms, and that was wiped out too. Even assuming the garrisons further south (for example, at Robinsegg) managed to survive and assuming they either joined the fleet or would be able to join an hypothetical reconquest expedition, I doubt we're talking of more than about 3,000-5,000 soldiers, tops, and that's in a best-case scenario, combining all disjointed Azurite forces. Although it must be conceded that the Azurites are raising new troops from the refugees, and it's hard to put a number to them because we have no idea how many refugees the fleet took.

However, we should remember that the Azurites had allies who were unwilling to help out because of Xykon. If Xykon is out of the picture, the threat to Gobbotopia could be very real, especially if the elves decide they'd rather have the Azurites back in that spot rather than Cliffport's trade partners.
    Last edited by hroțila; 2020-04-21 at 03:05 PM.
    ungelic is us

23. - Top - End - #233

I agree that they can't take back the city without help. I was just arguing with Fyraltari about the desire to return being mere sentimentalism.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

I agree that they can't take back the city without help. I was just arguing with Fyraltari about the desire to return being mere sentimentalism.
    Slave liberation and reconsider of former territory are two different things, the latter is not necessary for the former. They don’t [b]need[/i] to retake the City for that to happen, it would probably be a condition of the peace treaty.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you have to remember that a significant chunk of the Azurite military is controlled by the nobles, who sailed off and left everyone else to suffer.
    And that ~10,000 figure was before many nobles left with their retinues and household troops.
    Since this has come up....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The nobles of Azure City have small personal defense forces. Each noble has maybe 20 samurai and 100 men-at-arms, at most, plus some casters and maybe ninjas if they lean that way. They use them for self-defense and messing with other nobles. There may be a few dozen nobles total.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

26. - Top - End - #236

So, say, an average of 125 troops of one form or another. Call it 32 noble families for ease of math and you have another 4000 troops, most of them experienced rather than recruits. Would've been nice to have almost half your force on the walls instead of sailing away.

27. - Top - End - #237

So, say, an average of 125 troops of one form or another. Call it 32 noble families for ease of math and you have another 4000 troops
    You're assuming the maximum number for all noble families. Most weren't powerful or rich enough anywhere near to have that many, I'd wager.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-04-21 at 05:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'd rather use an average of ~60 retainers. But even using the lowest figure of 24 noble houses, that's still 1,440 soldiers, which is a significant chunk of a 9,000-strong force. Especially in terms of quality.

There might not be much of a reason to use the average of 60 retainers, though. The hobgoblins estimated 10,000 Azurites killed in the battle and the explosion, while the Azurites claimed to have some 9,000 troops available, including noble retinues. The hobgoblins must have overestimated the number of defenders (that's normal in war), but the closer the real figure was to 10,000, the better this works. Perhaps something like 9,000 initial troops, including 1,000 retainers who didn't fight in the battle, for an effective total of 8,000 Azurite soldiers actually present at the battle?
    Last edited by hroțila; 2020-04-21 at 05:39 PM.
    ungelic is us

29. - Top - End - #239

the Azurites claimed to have some 9,000 troops available, including noble retinues.
    Did they? The general calls them soldiers while the daimyos call them men-at-arms. I wouldn't be surprised if they were different classifications, and were expected to participate but not counted as Azurite military proper, and not included in the 9000 count.

If that's incorrect and they were in the 9000 count, the general also calls them largely unfamiliar with battle, and the daimyos evacuated their men without participating in the war, so I would hesitate to call them "experienced" as Rogar Demonblud proposed.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'd rather use an average of ~60 retainers. But even using the lowest figure of 24 noble houses, that's still 1,440 soldiers, which is a significant chunk of a 9,000-strong force. Especially in terms of quality.

There might not be much of a reason to use the average of 60 retainers, though. The hobgoblins estimated 10,000 Azurites killed in the battle and the explosion, while the Azurites claimed to have some 9,000 troops available, including noble retinues. The hobgoblins must have overestimated the number of defenders (that's normal in war), but the closer the real figure was to 10,000, the better this works. Perhaps something like 9,000 initial troops, including 1,000 retainers who didn't fight in the battle, for an effective total of 8,000 Azurite soldiers actually present at the battle?
    I always thought the 9,000 soldiers the general was talking about were soldiers in Azure City's regular army. Which would explain why it didn't seem to encompass the 314 clerics or 100-ish paladins of the Southern Gods mentioned in that same strip...and by extension, wouldn't count the personal defense forces of the nobles (or adventurers like the Order of the Stick).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas