Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Madness at Gardmore Abbey (OOC)

Thought I'd post that I did make the change out for Ritual Casting to up my utility a little bit.

I also went ahead and added the plot hook that you gave me to the background, Dimers. I did make a few alterations to it, so that she's not quite so penitent. Basically, she's confessed the things that she feels bad about having done, and continues to do the sinful acts that she doesn't feel are so bad. She's just not telling the church about those, figuring what Pelor doesn't know, won't hurt her. Yes, I realize trying to fake out the church about her redemption probably isn't the best idea, but Alyanna has had a lot of luck bluffing her way around problems in the past, and she did dump wisdom pretty hard, so she's not seeing any downside...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    Great stuff! I haven't used a spreadsheet-based tracker before but it looks like it will be a breeze (assuming my steed isn't *too* much of a pain).
    Yeah, the tracker is super freakin' handy. The mount only adds a smidgen of mindless work, since you'll have to remove the token-pointer from four spaces and write it into four spaces instead of one each.

Everyone can edit the map on the Encounter tab, for movement and adding zones and whatnot. It's no problem if your device doesn't play well with Sheets -- someone else can make the changes if your post is clear about what's happening. Cut/Paste also changes the color fill behind the token, so usually you'll avoid those and enter/delete data directly. Everyone can also crunch numbers on the Combat Sheet tab. All sheets have some formulas, lots of cells in Combat Sheet; try not to change those, but a backup copy exists in case of mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    I also went ahead and added the plot hook that you gave me to the background, Dimers. I did make a few alterations to it, so that she's not quite so penitent. Basically, she's confessed the things that she feels bad about having done, and continues to do the sinful acts that she doesn't feel are so bad.
    Hey, can't repent what you don't regret, so why bother confessing that part? It'd just make the priest feel bad.

@ezekielraiden: I entered horsey's AC assuming it has light barding, which is effectively free. Heavy barding wouldn't cut into your spending money but reduces the creature's speed by 1 and physical skills by 2.

@all: Backstories have already tied together Seth, Laurence and Geth. Everyone's got at least one reason to go to the Abbey. So the party is unified enough for my purposes already ... it won't break verisimilitude to get them together. But if you want more connections between party members, now's the time to make 'em.

Also @all: To encourage quick combats, anyone who posts within two hours after the most recent post can take a +2 to all attack rolls. (Or who starts posting within that time, by honor system.) Don't worry, the monsters don't get the bonus.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Tegu and I workshopped my character tonight. Plus I got the offline CB Loader to work on my mac. I'm good to go now!

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    @ezekielraiden: I entered horsey's AC assuming it has light barding, which is effectively free. Heavy barding wouldn't cut into your spending money but reduces the creature's speed by 1 and physical skills by 2.
    Let's stick with the light barding for now. 1 AC can be a very good thing, but the reduction to speed and checks doesn't seem worth it (plus, no extra math for the tracker).

And I think horsey shall be named Sirius. He has a vibrant, cheerful personality during everyday activity, but turns to a blazing firebrand on the battlefield. Being a celestial warhorse, presumably Sirius has been grazing on some grassy hill of Celestia all this time, wondering what Seth's been up to!

@all: Backstories have already tied together Seth, Laurence and Geth. Everyone's got at least one reason to go to the Abbey. So the party is unified enough for my purposes already ... it won't break verisimilitude to get them together. But if you want more connections between party members, now's the time to make 'em.
    Seth would absolutely be interested in discreet but honest recruitment. Though he may be "alone" compared to his past, he's no fool. This mission is gonna need help. If people are searching for a reason to join up, "saw a curious flyer in very archaic writing and checked it out" is perfectly valid. I could also see Seth, who enjoys a good ale or mead when he's not on duty, being asked about his past. People of a sentimental/romantic disposition could easily overhear or directly engage, and declare it a Wrong That Must Be Righted (or at least Avenged).

Also @all: To encourage quick combats, anyone who posts within two hours after the most recent post can take a +2 to all attack rolls. (Or who starts posting within that time, by honor system.) Don't worry, the monsters don't get the bonus.
    Roger dodger.

5. - Top - End - #35

Everyone seems ready to go, so here's your IC thread!

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Yay! Winterhaven here we go!

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

this is pretty funny — my Discord group is in Thunderspire right now, after having gone through KotS, so I have a variety of preconceptions in my head about the characterization of the citizenry of Winterhaven. like, my Valthrun is extremely Milo Hatch, and my Rond is basically Sam Elliott. oh, and Salvana is the personification of a Minnesota accent.
    Designer of Cortex Shuffle – Fantasy Playset complete, and available pending licensing
    Currently developing Mythikal Fantasy and coreTEK, both using Cortex Prime
    TwitterDiscord

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I changed my rituals:

Hand of Fate
    Spirit Fetch
    Iron vigil
    Speak with Dead
    Ancestral Whispers
    Last Sight Vision
    Semper ludens.

The Moonscar * OOC * Map

9. - Top - End - #39

Would have posted last night but I was completely exhausted by the time I wrapped my DW session. I went to sleep at 10 pm...I almost never even feel *tired* before 1 am. I'll definitely have something up tonight though.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2020-04-22 at 07:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by angille View Post
    this is pretty funny — my Discord group is in Thunderspire right now, after having gone through KotS, so I have a variety of preconceptions in my head about the characterization of the citizenry of Winterhaven.
    Yep, that'll be fun to watch play out. I'm sure I'll differ on a lot of characterizations, but Padraig in particular is a pet peeve. I'm like, this guy in the ass-end of nowhere thinks he's awesomesauce because his family owned more stuff than the people who actually create things (and of course he's presented as a white male) ... I'm getting myself all worked up over it again. Anyway, I'm inclined to make him look as good as his contribution to his community, namely, "not very".

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    I changed my rituals:
    Divinations are really nice to have on-call like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    Lash carefully makes his way around the strange book-thief
    Librarian humor time: A few years ago, in late summer when school was about to start back, a parent of a highschooler came in to get summer reading material for his son. He didn't have a library card, didn't have ID to open one and was clearly in a rush. So I checked out a book on my own account and handed it to him. Neither person nor book ever came back. Guess what the title was? ........... The Book Thief.

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

That is truly hilarious.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

CasualViking, sorry about the 'holy day' thing. I needed an excuse to get Oakley away, so I don't spend all my time talking to myself, and it just didn't cross my mind that that'd affect Gissel too. Ezekiel, thanks for the partial fix. EDIT: I updated Seth's token in the tracker to match the new pic.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-04-23 at 01:23 PM.

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

CasualViking, sorry about the 'holy day' thing. I needed an excuse to get Oakley away, so I don't spend all my time talking to myself, and it just didn't cross my mind that that'd affect Gissel too. Ezekiel, thanks for the partial fix. EDIT: I updated Seth's token in the tracker to match the new pic.
    It'll work out :-)
    Semper ludens.

The Moonscar * OOC * Map

14. - Top - End - #44

In the meantime, Gissel learns a bit about Sir Oakley and his intention, in between parts of the ritual.

Spoiler: Spoilered in case somebody wants to NOT know this yet
    Show
    The aging knight comes from a southern city-state. Much of his family and almost all of his moral sense descend from the knightly order that founded and maintained Gardmore Abbey for a long time. Oakley's been living in guilt for quite a long time because the site has become so corrupted since its (rather unexpected) defeat by gnoll, ogre and orc barbarian hordes, about a century and a half ago. When Seth appeared in Oakley's home city recently, headed north toward Gardmore, the knight took it as a sign that it was time to free himself from that guilt and try to cleanse the site.

Oakley's very formal and physically distant. He has stronger feelings about ideas than about people. The man is a bit short but has the build of a rhinoceros, and he likes the "shining armor" look. The picture is completed by steely posture, burnished mahogany skin, slate gray eyes, and soft white fuzz over much of his head and face. (Trimmed hair, of course, not some kind of mold infection. )

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #45

I'm hoping it isn't the case, but just as a general note, let me know if I start laying on the archaic speech too thick. I want it to be more legible than Shakespeare (e.g. consistently legible, limited confusion), but more obviously archaic than (say) the Brontë sisters, who read more like very slightly too formal modern Queen's English.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

No it’s good, I enjoy it.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    I'm hoping it isn't the case, but just as a general note, let me know if I start laying on the archaic speech too thick. I want it to be more legible than Shakespeare (e.g. consistently legible, limited confusion), but more obviously archaic than (say) the Brontë sisters, who read more like very slightly too formal modern Queen's English.
    Oakley's use of language is described pretty much like that in the module.

EDIT, @angille: hey, nice way to insert the "noble background" thing!

@everyone: I'm hoping to resolve Geth's request for a private conversation via text chat on Discord. When something will be mostly back-and-forth between an NPC and one PC, quick texts could save a lot of waiting time. Then the PC's player can choose how much to relay about the conversation, IC or OOC here.

Is anyone particularly for or against wrapping up the scene and moving, say, to the temple to sweep up Questgiver #2 (Oakley) and Gissel?
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-04-27 at 10:08 PM.

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

EDIT, @angille: hey, nice way to insert the "noble background" thing!
    lol, I just wanted to get the Gimli quote in. felt like that's how it would work with the character.

Is anyone particularly for or against wrapping up the scene and moving, say, to the temple to sweep up Questgiver #2 (Oakley) and Gissel?
    I do have a reply box open in another tab I haven't submitted, and I might have a question about like... lines and veils I guess. we did have that brief banter earlier about folks fanning themselves around high Con/Cha PCs, but I wanna pose the question to everyone: how flirty is too flirty for this game?

like, I figure there's definitely Disney G-rated veils over things, but the other end could be "this is hack-n-slash kick-down-the-door, gosh darnit. we don't need shipping in a dungeon crawl!"
    Designer of Cortex Shuffle – Fantasy Playset complete, and available pending licensing
    Currently developing Mythikal Fantasy and coreTEK, both using Cortex Prime
    TwitterDiscord

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

I'm fine with fairly flirty. Lash is not nearly as confident as he seems, so if someone needs to be embarassed for comedic effect I nominate Lash.

Dimers, if you're good with Lash and Geth having a family reunion in PMs, then I'm ready to move the plot forwards.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

how flirty is too flirty for this game?
    I am personally not a fan of "roll for seduction" type. I'd say my comfort level is about at World of Warcraft /flirt emotes

Spoiler: /flirt examples
    Show
    Dwarf female
    "I like tall men... *giggles*"
    "I'll have you know I can flatten steel with my thighs."
    "I'd like to see you in a kilt."
    "I won't fall for any bad pickup line. You've got to try 2 or 3 at least."
    "Enough with your flirting, I know you think all dwarven women look the same."

Dwarf male
    "Enough of the chit-chat. Let's get to it then."
    "You'd like to run your hands through my beard, wouldn't ya?"
    "Let's get on with it then, I've got a quest to do in 15 minutes."
    "You look pretty, I like your hair, here's a drink... Are you ready now?"
    "Where are you from? Heh, not that it matters."
    "I must be asleep, 'cause you are a dream come true. Also, I'm slightly damp."

Orc female
    "You had me at 'Zugzug'"
    "I'll give you crazy love."
    "I like men who aren't afraid to cry... Cry Uncle!"
    "You'll do. Let's go."
    "Don't talk. Just follow me."
    "Let's not ruin this moment with chit-chat."

Orc male
    "That armor looks good on you. It would look even better on my floor."
    "This is true love. Do you think this happens every day?"
    "You have six different smiles. One for when you're angry. One for when you tear flesh. One for when you chew flesh. One for when you loot bodies. One for when you skin game. And one for when you want to kill something." (Reference to the movie Win a Date With Tad Hamilton!)
    "I love you like a fat kid loves cake."
    "Lady, from the moment I see you I... I did not expect to get this far."
    "Um... You look like a lady."
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2020-04-28 at 01:37 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Flirt away, I say.

But while we're at it, I draw the line at explicit torture and rape.
    Semper ludens.

The Moonscar * OOC * Map

22. - Top - End - #52

like, I figure there's definitely Disney G-rated veils over things, but the other end could be "this is hack-n-slash kick-down-the-door, gosh darnit. we don't need shipping in a dungeon crawl!"
    Spoiler: A complicated answer.
    Show
    A complicated answer. What?! From Dimers? No, couldn't be ...

I feel that Charisma doesn't get the non-mechanical value it deserves in most RPGs, and I've invested a bit of self-image in doing a better job, having NPCs react to PCs according to Charisma score if there's not some sort of active skill attempt. And I also feel that sexuality is extremely underrepresented as a motivator for people's actions in most RPGs. Without getting into the amount of sexuality-as-action a game should have, attraction should play a part in RP, not just in how strongly the NPC reacts but also in how the reaction is channeled.

My biggest interest in D&D is tactics. More time spent on courtin' an' sparkin' means more time between the bits I find reliably fun.

Sexuality is a great source of humor and it'd be a shame to exclude that entirely, assuming no one is particularly averse.

I grew up ridiculously repressed in a typical household in the Bible Belt, so my knee-jerk reaction to strong flirtation is to assume that SOMEone (if not necessarily me) will be made very uncomfortable by it. That drains a lot of joy out of it. And I'm trying to heal from that braintwisting IRL -- the challenge is good for me.

All in all, I prefer to allow characters (PC and NPC) to have a sexual existence but to restrict expression of that to an undefinable spot somewhere between 'cute' and 'risque'.

Flirt away, I say.

My whole body went yeeeegh! when I read that. No worries, neither I nor the module has any inclination in that direction.

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

It's not what I particularly look for in a game, but at the same time if others want to start a little something, I don't have a real problem with it. My comfort level seems to be about the level expressed by others already.

24. - Top - End - #54

Oakley's use of language is described pretty much like that in the module.
    Lovely! :)

I have no problem with quickly moving along. No point keeping people waiting.

I'm fairly comfortable with most flirting (assuming I even realize it's flirting). Innuendo and insinuation can be both hilarious and authentic to a character or situation. Fade-to-black if it's appropriate, with some possible good-natured jabs afterward (because comrades-in-arms are likely to have that kind of camaraderie)

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    I am personally not a fan of "roll for seduction" type. I'd say my comfort level is about at World of Warcraft /flirt emotes
    Ah, some of those were so good. But yeah, the only time I'd be on board for that would be if it were a genuine "DM isn't sure they will, but isn't sure they *won't,* lean into the flirting" for some kind of planned thing. It can be reasonable to have a plan that depends on a seductive deception (or a deceptive seduction? hmm) But that's making the "roll for X" a stepping stone to a greater end, rather than an end in itself.

As Dimers put it, a spectrum between "cute" and "risqué" is generally comfortable. Seth, being vaguely Shakespearean, would probably use symbolic language or flowery statements (literally and figuratively; the nobility loved the "language of the flowers" after all). Never ribald, but sometimes highly suggestive.

Yeah...had a game go south because nobody spoke up about this, despite everyone being really uncomfortable about it. We moved on, but the group didn't make it past the end of that adventure. Classic groupthink. Glad that it won't be a problem here!
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2020-04-29 at 12:06 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Here's a bit of a 'meta' thing. Oakley is consistently presented as a capable warrior, and he's got companion-style stats for fighting along the PCs (a level 6 defender). I'm inclined to make an excuse not to use him, though (he throws out his back or whatever). The module's XP budgeting is intended for five PCs, plus I feel like having him in combat might take away a little spotlight time from the players. Do you want him in fights for now, to see how it goes? Or leave him out? Either way, he can provide a surgeless heal for one character, once per day.

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

let's leave him out.
    Semper ludens.

The Moonscar * OOC * Map

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

I figure between an Ardent, a Paladin, and my guy's heal. we should be fine when it comes to health. Comrade's Succor will go a long way.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58

Here's a bit of a 'meta' thing. Oakley is consistently presented as a capable warrior, and he's got companion-style stats for fighting along the PCs (a level 6 defender). I'm inclined to make an excuse not to use him, though (he throws out his back or whatever). The module's XP budgeting is intended for five PCs, plus I feel like having him in combat might take away a little spotlight time from the players. Do you want him in fights for now, to see how it goes? Or leave him out? Either way, he can provide a surgeless heal for one character, once per day.
    Let's leave him out for now. We'll have him on call, should the fertilizer hit the aerator blades.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

For comedic effect, while Lash and Geth are catching up, Lash will continuosly be using Psionic Image to show Geth pictures of the rest of their family, as well as anything else that he can think of to bring Geth up to speed.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    For comedic effect, while Lash and Geth are catching up, Lash will continuosly be using Psionic Image to show Geth pictures of the rest of their family, as well as anything else that he can think of to bring Geth up to speed.
    Oh I kind of love this.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk