New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Age of visible stars?

I was just reading some philosophically ponderings about the ancient age of rock. Stars are also ancient, but unlike stars, rock is something you can touch.

Wich had me wondering: Almost all the stars that can be seen without a telescope are larger than the sun. Under perfect conditions with very good eyes, there are just about 8000 stars that can be seen, and I think only 4 of them are smaller than the sun. To be visible from Earth, a star either has to be extremely close or very massive. And massive stars have shorter lifetimes than smaller stars, and that by order of magnitude.

I believe the Earth is almost as old as the sun, and the sun is also halfway through its total lifespan. So probably half the stars with a size similar to the sun are older, and the other half younger. And some stars that are somewhat bigger than the sun that are now approaching the end of their lives could also be older than the Sun and the Earth. But the bigger they get, the shorter they live. And the smaller they are, the lower the chance they are visible.

Does that mean that most of the stars we see are younger than the Earth? Is rock generally speaking older than the stars?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Age of visible stars?

Current scientific consensus is that most of the Solar system formed roughly around the same time as the Sun did, from the same matter. This was around 4800 megayears ago. The youngest star I can find in the list of brightest visible stars is Betelgeuse (8-8.5), and the oldest is Arcturis at 7100. This suggests that you may be right, with the caveat that a great many stars do not have an estimated age.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The earth's crust is a bit younger than the Earth, closer to 2 billion years, for the continental/dry parts. But that's still older than quite a few large stars.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I found one calculator that gave an output for stars of 1.5 solar masses to have a lifetime of I think 3.7 billion years. And none of the stars on the wikipedia list of brightest visible stars with both mass and age estimates comtradict that.
    Since rock gets frequently recyled and reformed through lava erruptions, the oldest rocks on Earth are about 4 billion years old.

This means any stars larger than 1.5 solar masses can't be older than ancient rocks. Of the 93 brightest stars listed by wikipedia, I found 10 stars that can't be ruled out to be older than 4 billion years:
    Alpha Centauri A and B, Arcturus, Aldebaran, Gacrux, Hamal, Gamma Leonis A, Theta Centauri, Epsilon Scorpii, Alpha Phoenices. Of which 7 are within 65 lightyears, and only one more than 90 lightyears away.

Assuming that the same ratio persists once we go down the list of brightest stars (which I have doubts being the case), that would still mean that only 10% of visible stars could be older than really old rock.
    Lots of rock is nowhere near 4 billion years old, but since most visible stars are short lived giants that live for one millions of years, I think one might be able to say many rocks are older than the average visible star.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Didnt think about it that way before, but yeah, pretty obviously you are correct.

Hmmnnn....
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

This is certainly true of *visible* stars. Of course, the vast majority of stars are not visible and are rather small and dim--I think more than three quarters are classified as red dwarfs, and very few of those are naked-eye visible from Earth.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

No red dwarfs (assuming by that you mean M-class main sequence) are naked-eye visible from Earth at all. The brightest is Lacaille 8760, at an apparent magnitude of 6.67 (compared to a visibility cutoff of 6-- Lower numbers are brighter).

Of stars brighter than red dwarfs but dimmer than the Sun, you're looking at the K class and most of the G class (the Sun is a G2, putting it towards the bright end of G). There, you're looking at four or maybe five K stars (61 Cygni B is right on the edge, at 6.03), plus two G stars (tau Ceti, a G8, and alpha Centauri A, a fellow G2 that's just a hair brighter).

Actually, there are probably a few more: I'm working from a table of stars within 5 pc, and the Gs and some of the Ks (but none of the Ms) should be visible from somewhat further away than that. There might reasonably be about ten times that. But that's still a tiny, tiny proportion of all of the naked-eye visible stars, and almost none of the stars bright enough for anyone to notice or care about.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Almost all the stars that can be seen without a telescope are larger than the sun. Under perfect conditions with very good eyes, there are just about 8000 stars that can be seen, and I think only 4 of them are smaller than the sun.
    From an earlier thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    A bit more than that.

Ones listed with an apparent magnitude of less than 6.00 (the limit for suburban skies) but an absolute magnitude of more than the Sun's 4.83 (sometimes this required a little googling as well as using the Wikipedia list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...t_bright_stars

Alpha Centauri B (technically you're only seeing the pair, but B would be visible if it was on its own)
    Epsilon Eridani
    61 Cygni A (61 Cygni B would be at, or slightly below, the unaided eye visibility limit if seen on its own)
    Epsilon Indi
    Tau Ceti
    40 Eridani A
    70 Ophiuchi A
    Sigma Draconis
    Gliese 570
    36 Ophiuchi star system (A and B would each be just about visible if on their own)
    82 G. Eridani
    HR 8832
    Xi Boötis A (Xi Boötis B would be below visibility if seen on its own)
    Gliese 105 A (others are much too faint to contribute to the system's visible brightness)
    HD 4628
    107 Piscium
    Mu Cassiopeiae A (other is too faint to contribute)
    p Eridani A & B (each is close to the unaided eye visibility limit - the combined system will be a little brighter)
    Chi Draconis B (A is more luminous than the Sun, B is less luminous but still above magnitude 6)
    41 G. Arae A (B is too faint to contribute)
    Xi Ursae Majoris B (A is more luminous than the Sun, B is less luminous but still above magnitude 6)
    HD_192310
    Kappa 1 Ceti
    HD 102365/HR 4523/66 G. Centauri A (B is too faint to contribute)
    61 Ursae Majoris
    HR 4458 A (B is too faint to contribute)
    12 Ophiuchi
    HR 511
    Alpha Mensae
    Zeta Herculis B (A is more luminous than the Sun, B is less luminous but still above magnitude 6)
    54 Piscium
    11 Leonis Minoris A (B is too faint to contribute)
    HR 5553 A (B might be contributing a little to this - the whole system is at magnitude 6)
    Zeta Reticuli 1
    Zeta Reticuli 2 (the Zeta Reticuli system is a wide binary, separable with the eye: 2 is exactly as bright as the Sun, but very slightly less massive)
    85 Pegasi A (B is dim enough not to contribute very much)
    55 Cancri A (B is too faint to contribute)
    HD 69830 (285 G. Puppis)
    HD 147513 (62 G. Scorpii) - this one is a bit tricky - absolute magnitude is listed as 4.82 rather than below 4.83 - but luminosity is listed as 0.98x sun's - so I'm going with that.
    HD 172051 (86 G. Sagittarii)
    58 Eridani
    HD 166 (V439 Andromedae - Gliese 5)
    Pi 1 Ursae Majoris
    Nu 2 Lupi
    Psi Serpentis A (B is far too faint to contribute)
    HD 38858

So, that's 46 systems with one or more stars in them with a lower luminosity than the Sun, but still above magnitude 6 - counting Zeta Reticuli as two since they are far enough apart that both are visible.

If you restrict it to apparent magnitude 5 however, the number plummets:

Alpha Centauri B
    Epsilon Eridani
    Epsilon Indi
    Tau Ceti
    40 Eridani A
    70 Ophiuchi A
    Sigma Draconis
    Xi Boötis A
    Xi Ursae Majoris B
    Kappa 1 Ceti
    HD 102365 A

Only 11 there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    No red dwarfs (assuming by that you mean M-class main sequence) are naked-eye visible from Earth at all. The brightest is Lacaille 8760, at an apparent magnitude of 6.67 (compared to a visibility cutoff of 6-- Lower numbers are brighter).
    To be fair, exceptionally dark skies and good viewing conditions will push the visibility cutoff magnitude to the point where it may scrape in - so that particular star has been spotted with the naked eye under such conditions.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-04-20 at 01:32 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele