New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Silly question about Flight? Are the numbers the speed?

I have a feeling this is going to be a really simple answer that I probably already know, but I can't find the information anywhere.

I don't know if any context is really needed, but in our 2nd edition group we are currently having a side game of blended characters.

So I am looking through the monster manual to choose some creatures, and I kind of wanted them to have a flight of some kind, but not with wings. So I was looking at the Air Elemental or Air Kin (Sylph or Aerial Servant).

Anyways, looking at its movement the Air Elemental has a Fl 36 (A) and the Sylph has the same Fl 36 (A) while the Aerial Servant has Fl 26 (A).

I know that A through E in terms of letters means the maneuverability they have. How well they move in the air.

However, is the number the speed at which they move then? The higher the better?

Movement in 2nd edition really confuses me cause it's all over the place, and since we don't really play with a grid and use theatre of the mind, movement speeds don't mean much, but I am curious so I know just how fast this flight speed is.

Thanks. I just couldn't find where it talked about the speed of flight, so I'm probably answering my own question here.

However, I'd appreciate someone explaining it a bit so I know what is fast and what isn't. Thanks again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Silly question about Flight? Are the numbers the speed?

Yes, those movements are speed.

Standard speed for an unencumbered human is 12.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, the number is the speed. To determine movement rate, the number given is x10 in feet for combat or in a dungeon (so 36 means you can move 360 feet in one round), x10 in yards for normal speeds (so 360 yards in one round), x2 in miles for cross-country movement (so 72 miles a day).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Yes, the number is the speed. To determine movement rate, the number given is x10 in feet for combat or in a dungeon (so 36 means you can move 360 feet in one round), x10 in yards for normal speeds (so 360 yards in one round), x2 in miles for cross-country movement (so 72 miles a day).
    So they're pretty fast then with a flight of 36? That's good to know. A flight of 24 would also be pretty decent.

Now I'm just wondering why Water Weird's don't have a swim speed...unless their regular movement is taking into account their movement.

Thanks for the info! Just couldn't find anywhere it talks about speed, but maybe it would be under movement in the PHB. Didn't know if Flight was different. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

A few things to keep in mind:

A speed of 88 = 30 mph.

Running rules: You can increase your speed up to 5 times your base speed (assuming you pass the strength checks to get up to speed and the constitution checks to stay there). I don't think it's explicitly stated, but I allow those rules to apply to fliers and swimmers.

A cheetah has a move speed of 15, with a sprint of 45, which is about 15 mph, a good bit slower than the 60+ mph they've been clocked at.

So try not to read too much into it.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    A cheetah has a move speed of 15, with a sprint of 45, which is about 15 mph, a good bit slower than the 60+ mph they've been clocked at.

So try not to read too much into it.
    Indeed. In most combat and chase situations it's enough to see that an opponent is a lot faster than you are. A sprint speed of 45 definitely qualifies compared to standard PC races. So it doesn't matter much if the listed movement rate is off compared to the real world.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I may be wrong, but I believe the movement is expressed in inches for use on a map, so a human's 12" speed allows them to move that many inches (since Gygax was a wargamer, this always made sense to me). In combat, you can move half this speed and still make all your attacks.

Not coincidentally, in modern versions of the game, a human's speed is 30', or 6 squares (which if you're using a standard map that has 1" squares) means you have the same speed as you did back in AD&D (since you can move and make an action, or move twice your speed in a turn).
    "A little technobabble is good for the soul." -Captain Jack Harkness