New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Madness at Gardmore Abbey (IC)

A cold spring morning inside the old granite walls of little Winterhaven. The sky is overcast now, but the chilly breeze that reels through the empty Market Day square suggests warming sunshine may be on its way.

The mood is more bright and cheery than the weather. Last night Lord Padraig (bless his baffled little heart) returned from a visit to the northern outpost and remount stations. It's good to have him safely home. More importantly, with several unfamiliar warriors and adventurers having come into the fort in the last three days, surely Padraig would be directing a contingent down the King's Road to handle the orcish wayfarers who have been causing trouble near old Gardmore Abbey. He's been talking about that for weeks!

Most of the adventurers are in Wrafton's Inn, the natural gathering point when crafters and vendors aren't in town for market. The warm, spacious three-story building also happens to be where Padraig spends most of his time other than in his inherited manor house. Scholar Valthrun the Prescient is here today, his usual stack of books and scrollcases still tidy on the table while he's talking about some erudite topic with one of the adventurers. Two of the Winterhaven Regulars and their dour captain, Rond Kelfem, watch the friendly competition of adventurers sizing each other up and making alliances. Dwarven smith Thair Coalstriker watches them as well, eager to offer his wares to anyone seeming underequipped, while listening patiently to geriatric farmer Ellian the Old. Two of Padraig's four sons sit in a darker corner -- a lout nursing a hangover and a bright-eyed youth whose clothing hints he'd like to become a soldier. The inn's owner-proprietor Salvana Wrafton keeps drinks and conversations flowing, and each time she opens the door to the kitchen, the pleasant smells of woodsmoke and a recent hearty breakfast waft into the common room.

Lord Ernest Padraig opens the front door, adding to Wrafton's mix the clean, crisp, perky scent of the new greenery outside. A very satisfied smile fills his thin face. The Lord is a tall, hale human wearing aging finery and a silver circlet, with a fancy-hilted longsword at his waist. Several villagers call out greetings or wave. Padraig tries to execute a gracious bow but seems to have forgotten to tell his legs not to walk; he stumbles over his own feet and has to grab a chair for balance. He forgoes the bow and instead makes a broad wave. "Hail, welcome! Welcome, adventurers!" The man heads to the large circular hardwood table -- it can seat about a dozen -- and settles into a chair, smiling and making a lot of eye contact. Two villagers get up to make space, while a handful of mercenaries stay, leaning in to begin talking with Padraig about his quest.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Seth, Laurence and Sir Oakley arrived in Winterhaven three days ago, just after the Lord left to check the north outpost and interact with a few far-flung homesteaders. Oakley will be spending the next few hours in the temple, as this is a Bahamutian holy day and he is more-than-technically a priest. Seth has already been approached by Alira Vond and Lash has spent a bit of time with Valthrun -- he may or may not be the adventurer chatting with the sage right now. Gissel, Alyssa, Zeal and Geth might be freshly arrived or might have been around for as much as a week. Are you all in the Inn when Padraig enters? What are you doing? What have you already done in town?

"Winterhaven" could be considered this fort or the whole surrounding region, depending on what exactly you're talking about. The region includes about a thousand people, but only a tenth actually live inside the fort's walls.
    Spoiler: spoilered for size
    Show
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-04-21 at 12:25 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Madness at Gardmore Abbey (IC)

[Geth - Elven Monk]

Bowing his thanks to the guards at the gate, Geth catches the scent of sausage and woodsmoke. "Here?" he asks to the guard, who nods in acknowledgment. Following their gestures to the inn, Geth pauses for a moment as a tall man with a circlet in his hair pushes the door open. The faint din of breakfast escapes through the doorway before it shuts. Geth gives a slight shiver as a chilly breeze cuts through the thin cloth of his shirt - so effective in the desert but ill-suited for these Northern lands.

Geth enters the inn a moment later, immediately taken aback at the sights, sounds and smells that overwhelm his senses. Life in the monastery was quiet and ascetic, even spartan at times. This inn was everything but.

Making his way to an empty table, Geth catches the eye of a waitress, asking for "something to take the chill off". He unwraps his headscarf and settles it around his shoulders, akin to a shawl, and surveys the room.

Chief Eriyel mentioned a Padraig, though gave no description of his appearance. I suppose I should just .... Geth's thoughts are interrupted as the waitress returns, setting a steaming mug in front of him. "Thank you, for your kindness and generosity." Geth pulls out a small purse from inside his shirt and counts out a few coins. Guessing at the proper amount, he drops the silver into the woman's hand. Geth pauses for a moment, then pulls a gold piece from the purse, and asks the waitress how to find Lord Padraig.

Spoiler: Geth appearance
    Show
    Geth is an elf of medium height and a slim frame. His head was shaved, but now a light reddish fuzz has grown back, matching the reddish hair at his eyebrows. His skin is tanned and his eyes are a light blue, and his clothing gives the impression of one who has spent a majority of his time in a drier, hotter climate than the one here in Winterhaven. At his hip is a curved scimitar.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2020-04-21 at 05:20 PM.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyanna Rhoe - Human Warlock

A teenage human girl wanders slowly down the stairs from the second floor and into the common room. Judging by her looks, she is probably in her mid-teens. She has blonde long blonde hair and attractive, if a little unsettling, tawny eyes. She wears several layers of colorful clothing draped around herself, many of the articles with sewn in tassels, beads, lace, or other frills. She pauses near the top of the staircase, looking around the room. This would be her first day in the village, having arrived late the previous night, and she wanted to get a feel for what a typical morning was like here.

After a few seconds, she continues her decent into the room, her odd swaying gait making it appear more like she is floating down the steps rather than walking. She makes her way to the bar, "A bit of fruit for breakfast, if you don't mind. Whatever is handy."

After accepting an apple from the proprietor, Alyanna weaves between the tables until she reaches the table with the scholar. She bends over, examining the titles in the stack of books, not really paying him much attention at first. She hums a little tune to herself as she peruses the titles, and then pulls the second book from the pile. She sits down, not at the scholar's table itself, but at the table right next to his. She holds up the book, giving him a smile, "A little reading material with breakfast. I'll return it shortly," she says pleasantly. She opens the book, without awaiting his response and begins reading as she takes a large crunchy bite from her apple.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2020-04-21 at 08:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zeal
    AC 24, Fort 19, Ref 19, Will 21 | HP: 53/53

Zeal has only been in town for two days, but has already managed to learn the names of everyone inside the walls (including the other travelers who've also already arrived), and they all seem to have picked up hers. Since setting up in her room at Wrafton's, she's forgone her arms and is dressed in a finely tailored but practical travelling outfit. There's a fresh set of flowers brought her by Winterhaven's children carefully tucked around her horns, and a perpetual grin on her face and sparkle in her eyes.

Eagerly awaiting what news Lord Padraig might have (she is here for a Daring Adventure after all), Zeal sits across from Thair and Ellian as the latter is telling an absolutely ridiculous tale of derring-do, ostensibly from his younger days. It's clearly just a bizarre mishmash of the Goblin Princess mixed with the Fox and the Drake, but Zeal's been asking leading questions and making subtle suggestions, and it seems even Thair is enjoying a story he's evidently heard a hundred times before.

As Padraig makes his entrance, Zeal taps Ellian on the hand and squeals. "Eeeee! Is it time? Time for... adventure?" As the Lord stumbles, she stands and gasps. But as befits his station, he recovers... well, not gracefully, but not shamefully either.

"Hail, welcome! Welcome, adventurers!" Zeal steps forward, catching the eyes of some of the other strangers in town, and raises her hand, using the other to restrain her tail from thrashing. "Oh! That's me — I am... an Adventurer, yes."
    Designer of Cortex Shuffle – Fantasy Playset complete, and available pending licensing
    Currently developing Mythikal Fantasy and coreTEK, both using Cortex Prime
    TwitterDiscord

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

On this holy day, Gissel is also tied up at the temple for the next few hours.

She has been in town for two days by now. I would think that she has met every adventurer at the tavern; she has made it very clear that she is here for the upcoming expedition against the orcs at the Abbey.

Gissel
    AC 22, Fort 19, Ref 16, Will 22|HP: 48/48

Spoiler: Resource tracking
    Show
    Active effects:

Healing surges (12 hp): 10/10

Encounter powers:
    Action Point
    Channel Divinity (Maledictor's Doom, Rebuke Undead)
    Whispers of Defeat
    Thunder of Judgment
    Bloodied Determination
    Dwarven Resilience
    Forced Advantage
    Demand Justice
    Amulet of Life

Daily Powers:
    Silent Malediction
    Malediction of Blindness
    Onatar's Forge
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Lash - Half-Elf Dabbler

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Scholar Valthrun the Prescient is here today, his usual stack of books and scrollcases still tidy on the table while he's talking about some erudite topic with one of the adventurers.
    Leaning causally back, his fine shirt with colorful inlay shimmering in the firelight, in direct contrast to the muted colors of the grey cloak he has thrown over his shoulder. A goblet of wine in one hand, and rambling friendly gesture in the other, he chats enthusiastically with Valthrun. "....so, what you are prosing, is that if you fed good, loving, kind people to an Oblex just before their natural death, that eventually, their kindness might change the creature, and it could has as a repository for their knowledge, as well as manifest avatars to comfort the loved ones of the deceased? My that's a...."

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    After accepting an apple from the proprietor, Alyanna weaves between the tables until she reaches the table with the scholar. She bends over, examining the titles in the stack of books, not really paying him much attention at first. She hums a little tune to herself as she peruses the titles, and then pulls the second book from the pile. She sits down, not at the scholar's table itself, but at the table right next to his. She holds up the book, giving him a smile, "A little reading material with breakfast. I'll return it shortly," she says pleasantly. She opens the book, without awaiting his response and begins reading as she takes a large crunchy bite from her apple.
    ".... a interesting proposal. Certainly an interesting philosophical question. I admit that considering the relative morallity of orcs and goblins is not a common thing among my profession, but I do enjoy challenges preconceived ideas, just because someone declared it so long ago, and others believed it. While I do look forward to aiding Padraig in his endeavor, I do hope that there is a way stop this from happening again. This back and forth of territory does no one any good, and damages the resources. There must be a stable solution, somewhere in all of this."

Padraig "Hail, welcome! Welcome, adventurers!"
    "And that, I do believe, is my call. I look forward to more conversation, good sir, next time I see you. G'day!" A small head bow to the Scholar, Lash carefully makes his way around the strange book-thief, and saunters towards the round table. As he moves through the taven, his clothing ripples, his fancy pants and silk shirt changing into leather armor, with his grey cloak now falling over his swordarm. While he might prefer the apparel of a dandy, this was not the place for that. And if he wanted to have any cred with the other adventurers, a more rugged appearance was called for. Finishing his goblet of wine in a long drink, he lets it go in mid air, floating it over to a nearby waitress with a wink.

Pulling a seat out and taking a seat, he crosses one ankle over the other knee, assuming a pose of power and comfort, projecting confidence as best he can.

Spoiler: Mechanical Effects
    Show
    Sensing Eye maintained the entire time, watching the room.
    Imposter's Armor, going from clothing to hide armor.
    Telekinetic Grasp to leviate the wine goblet.
    Last edited by Tegu8788; 2020-04-22 at 12:29 PM.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

Geth looks to where the waitress has indicated and recognizes the man he saw outside the inn. Just as he is about to stand up, the man shouts:

"Hail, welcome! Welcome, adventurers!"
    and Geth pauses, relaxing back into his chair and focusing his attention on the man at centerstage, who he now understands to be Lord Padraig. A rippling motion catches his attention for a moment, but he ignores it for the time being.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seth
    AC 26, Fort 19, Ref 19, Will 19 | HP: 59/59

Already, Seth wishes he could have followed Brother Oakley and Sister Gissel, for Lord Padraig's foppish reputation precedes him and Seth is not sure he likes what he has heard. Though he has come to terms with the very different Nerath than the one he remembers (or so he claims), the torpor and sybaritism of the present-day nobility galls him. However, duty calls. He consoles himself with the knowledge that even worship of his god may, at times, be temptation, in a humorous twist. Bahamut's call is rarely a simple thing.

Fortunately, he overhears something from Laurence, and latches onto it, taking this as an opportunity to join the conversation. The man might be a fop too, but at least he is clever and driven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    "This back and forth of territory does no one any good, and damages the resources. There must be a stable solution, somewhere in all of this."
    "Aye, violence is oft not cause, but symptom, and to treat only the chill and not the sickness invites more terrible ills thereafter." He, too, wears armor that magically permits a more comfortable appearance when its protective capacity is not needed, and thus settles into a chair without the clanking one might expect from a paladin. Of course, before he can add anything further...
    "Hail, welcome! Welcome, adventurers!"
    "Hail to ye, Lord Mayor," he says, saluting with his right fist over his breast. He may not care for Padraig, but Seth doesn't let any disrespect enter his voice. You don't change a man's behavior by insulting him, unless the change you want is to make him mulish and surly. But instead of dwelling on his feelings or lack thereof, Seth surveys the table. An interesting mix of faces, to be sure. A young woman of almost excessive good cheer, Laurence now adopting a (no doubt practiced) persona of refined mild interest, a slightly fuzz-headed elf who looks to come from the southlands, and the tawny-eyed woman with more textile embellishments than some tailors' shops. Eclectic, but so were many hero-bands of eld. He knew better than to pass any judgment from look alone. Appearances could be deceiving.

"In addition to myself and those assembled, your lordship, I am also here to represent Sir Oakley and Sister Gissel, who could not attend this meeting. They regret being unable to see your lordship, but 'tis a holy day of our faith and needs must come first."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming Gissel and Seth would have met already, and that he was volunteered honored with a special dispensation to meet with the Lord Mayor instead of participating here, seeing as how someone from the church should participate.

Also: different icon! I discovered I could edit the colors on this one very easily, and this is really close to my mental image of Seth. So that's what it'll be! Probably the only remaining thing is that he should have a little ropy-scale beard. At this point though it's so close to spot-on I'll take what I can get.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2020-04-22 at 11:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    "Thank you, for your kindness and generosity." Geth pulls out a small purse from inside his shirt and counts out a few coins. Guessing at the proper amount, he drops the silver into the woman's hand. Geth pauses for a moment, then pulls a gold piece from the purse, and asks the waitress how to find Lord Padraig.
    Smiling, the older woman (who looks like the personification of "aunt"ness) closes Geth's hand back around the coin. "Yeh don't need to pay me for tha', sweetheart. That's the man right there." She jerks her head at the thin man recovering from his stumble. "Enjoy your drink, and good luck with 'His Lordship'!"

After accepting an apple from the proprietor, Alyanna weaves between the tables until she reaches the table with the scholar. She bends over, examining the titles in the stack of books, not really paying him much attention at first. She hums a little tune to herself as she peruses the titles, and then pulls the second book from the pile. She sits down, not at the scholar's table itself, but at the table right next to his.
    "A fine title!" the scholar exclaims. "You've read her other--"

She holds up the book, giving him a smile, "A little reading material with breakfast. I'll return it shortly," she says pleasantly. She opens the book, without awaiting his response and begins reading as she takes a large crunchy bite from her apple.
    ".... a interesting proposal. Certainly an interesting philosophical question. I admit that considering the relative morallity of orcs and goblins is not a common thing among my profession ..."
    Valthrun opens his mouth and holds up a finger as if to say "hey, waitaminnit" but quickly refocuses his attention on Lash as the young noble finishes his thought.

Finishing his goblet of wine in a long drink, he lets it go in mid air, floating it over to a nearby waitress ...
    ... who responds with an exasperated smile, getting accustomed to Lash's quirks quickly over the last couple days. She was already looking his direction, impressed with his clothing-change magic trick.

Quote Originally Posted by angille View Post
    Zeal steps forward, catching the eyes of some of the other strangers in town, and raises her hand, using the other to restrain her tail from thrashing. "Oh! That's me — I am... an Adventurer, yes."
    Zeal in particular catches the Lord's attention. He smiles to her very broadly, though she catches little details of expression that mean less positive things -- a hint of worry at her tiefling appearance, possibly an initial categorization as 'pretty young thing' instead of 'competent adventurer'. Regardless, the man seems pleased she's among those who might take on his rather important task, and he's quick to cover up the judgements. Apparently he has a goodly supply of ungraceful recoveries.

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    "In addition to myself and those assembled, your lordship, I am also here to represent Sir Oakley and Sister Gissel, who could not attend this meeting. They regret being unable to see your lordship, but 'tis a holy day of our faith and needs must come first."
    Padraig rises again from his seat to clasp the paladin's hand. "Thank you, my good man. Yes, I'd heard that Sir Oakley had at last arrived -- his letter came much quicker, very quick indeed, and I'm very pleased that our aims overlap so well." Padraig sits back down. "He did also mention you briefly, but not this ... Sister Gissel? Tell me a bit about her, and yourself, as we discuss the expedition's needs. Please, all of you, have a seat."

A few other warriors take places at the large table -- the guard chief Rond Kelfem and one of his swordsmen, a tired-looking male goliath in ranger's garb, a human woman with scale armor and a well-used bastard sword, a quiet elf boy with the trappings of an apprentice wizard, a stereotypically brutish half-orc who pretty clearly looks to the human for leadership.

After thanking everyone for gathering, Lord Padraig tells the group what he'd like done. "Travelers on the King's Road of late have been attacked by orc raiders as they travel through the Gardbury Downs." That's most of the area south and east of the fort of Winterhaven, roughly ending a couple easy days' walk along the King's Road. "The attacks mostly occur in the vicinity of the old ruins of Gardmore Abbey, so I suspect the orcs are using the ruins as a lair. If I could, I'd raise a militia to go root the orcs out of their holes and put them to the sword, but these folk can't see past the village walls." Kelfem snorts and looks annoyed at Padraig's opinion; the noble ignores it. "If it's not a threat to Winterhaven, they don't think it's our problem. Never mind that it affects caravans coming here. So in lieu of the militia, I intend hiring you to deal with these orcs. To start, I want you to go to the abbey and confirm whether the orcs are lairing there. Come back and tell me what you find, as complete a picture of their lair and defenses as you can."

The human mercenary, her half-orc companion's eyes on her, asks in a clear tenor voice, "Payment for this service, my lord?" Padraig clears his throat, a little surprised at being interrupted just then, and replies, "Ah, yes, I was coming to that. For the scouting itself, should you return with useful information about the orcs' arrangement there, I can pay up to six hundred pieces of gold, or the equivalent in goods we have here. More must be reserved for your aid in chasing the wretches away--" The blonde woman interrupts again to demand, "Just give us the sum, man! Not drips and drabs!" The goliath smirks his satisfaction, but Padraig's face frosts over and a couple of the other adventurers narrow their eyes at her. "If all you care about is the height of the coin stack, mercenary, I've set aside near two thousand gold for the work altogether. And I won't claim anything you might take from the orcs along the way." Silence reigns a moment as the woman glances over her shoulder, then she shakes her head and stands up. The half-orc follows her from the table.

"Well enough rid of that sort," Padraig grumbles. That comment prompts the goliath to leave in disgust as well, and the elf boy looks troubled seeing the rapid decline of interest. The lord calms his face, looks to the others assembled and asks, "My less cold-hearted friends, what more can I tell you about this task?"

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Lash - Half-Elf Dabbler

Watching a group of brutes leave, Lash waits until he's certain that those that remain will remain. 2000 gp splits better across a smaller group. Squaring himself to the table, he places his palms causally on the table, as if he was at the head of this circular table. "My good Lord, a few things could be very useful for us to know in this endeavor. How long have these Orcish raids been going on, and in what numbers? Do we have a measure of their martial or magical strengths? Obviously they did not just appear overnight, and as you know this area better, how far away would you expect Orcish reenforcements to come from, if we do succeed? And if we do manage to clear the Abbey, do you have the guards to hold it, in case this were to all happen again?" Lash speaks dispassionately, as if he were discussing matters of trade. "Also, while I understand your justifiable anger with these incursions, would you mind clarifing your priorities in this matter. Is your desire to have the Abbey cleared, stop the attacks on King's Road, or do you simply want more dead Orcs?"
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyanna is only about a page into the book, and a few bites into her apple, when the Lord's discussion with the mercenary band catches her attention. She holds the book in front of her face, peering discreetly over the tops of the pages, listening as they demand money. A fair demand, she supposed, but there was no reason to get so surly about it. He was offering a reasonable sum.

Aly waited for those who were departing to leave, before standing up herself. She set the book she had borrowed back on top of the scholar's stack and made her way over to the large table, sliding smoothly into one of the abandoned seats. She took another crunchy bite of her apple, licking the juice from her fingers, as Lash spoke before bringing up her own concerns.

"I have heard of your orc problems, but the abbey may hold greater woes. I have heard word of a vision suggesting a cult of the Elder Elemental Eye operates in the abbey. They experiment with dangerous magics that could cause trouble even this far removed. Have you heard of such a group? Might they be cooperating with your orcish threat?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Lash - Half-Elf Dabbler

Lash's calm breaks for a moment, his body still but his head swivels to Alyanna, before turning back to Lord Padraig, his eyes slightly wider, eyebrows raised, lips no longer closed in a self pleased manner.

Spoiler: Large Reference Image
    Show
    Last edited by Tegu8788; 2020-04-25 at 02:03 AM.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"How long have these Orcish raids been going on, and in what numbers? Do we have a measure of their martial or magical strengths? Obviously they did not just appear overnight, and as you know this area better, how far away would you expect Orcish reenforcements to come from, if we do succeed? And if we do manage to clear the Abbey, do you have the guards to hold it, in case this were to all happen again?" Lash speaks dispassionately, as if he were discussing matters of trade. "Also, while I understand your justifiable anger with these incursions, would you mind clarifing your priorities in this matter. Is your desire to have the Abbey cleared, stop the attacks on King's Road, or do you simply want more dead Orcs?"
    "Insightful questions ..." Padraig pauses for a moment, searching for the right form of address. He settles on "... hero. It's hard to say just when the raids began because some people might not have made it this far to inform us, but it's been going on for at least the winter. I've just checked the northern holdings, and they report no sign of trouble from the Stonemarch -- it would seem these orcs work alone. Travelers' reports have been questionable in quality, but signs suggest at least forty in the gang. Can we hold the Abbey ... I have a plan for that, yes, though that's putting the cart well ahead of the horse." The soldier-chief Kelfem raises his eyebrows, not having heard about this alleged 'plan' before. "As to the ultimate goal, it would be unwise to figure that without more information. The essential matter is stopping the raids, although if--"

"I have heard of your orc problems, but the abbey may hold greater woes. I have heard word of a vision suggesting a cult of the Elder Elemental Eye operates in the abbey. They experiment with dangerous magics that could cause trouble even this far removed. Have you heard of such a group? Might they be cooperating with your orcish threat?"
    "Elemental Eye? I'm not familiar with the name, to be honest, but any cultist in the Abbey ruins is potentially a threat. That's something else to watch for, if you know the cult's signs. Can I presume the rest of you --" He gestures to include everyone around the table. "-- will ally with each other for these various goals? With Sir Oakley's intention to cleanse the site, you'll have much to keep in mind."

At this point the young elf demurs, holding up his hands with palms out. "I, I'm very sorry, m'lord Padraig, but I, I, I, I don't think this is something I can handle. Forty or more orcs, a cult, and a major task on top of all that? I ... I'm ..." The apprentice pushes his chair back from the table. "No, I don't have the courage in me, I think." The human lord lets out a little sigh. "I'm glad you came, anyway, young one. Perhaps another day. Avandra's grace go with you."

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zeal

"Can I presume the rest of you will ally with each other for these various goals? With Sir Oakley's intention to cleanse the site, you'll have much to keep in mind."

Zeal slips into the seat left open by the exiting elf, still clutching her overly energetic tail, beaming ear to ear. She clears her throat a little and speaks in a falsely deep voice. "Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?"

She looks around at the wide eyes in reaction to the statement and dips her head a little. "That's, er, a thing one of my parents' dwarven retainers would say every time he was tasked with a duty. Like weeding the garden, or a trip to the market." She looks up, eyes sparkling again. "I am serious though. And capable. And ready."
    Last edited by angille; 2020-04-25 at 04:04 PM. Reason: forgot header
    Designer of Cortex Shuffle – Fantasy Playset complete, and available pending licensing
    TwitterDiscord

15. - Top - End - #15

Seth
    Seth watches the displeased adventurers stalk away, not at all surprised. Sellswords were a constant even in "his day," and no less likely to turn down a good cause solely because the money was merely reasonable. He tries to ignore the Lord Mayor's comments about them, though. Just because they focus on their own interests does not make them inferior people; it means they are normal, and those assembled at the table are not. It is for the normal folk that heroes--and nobles--rise to tackle great challenges. If not for that, neither would be more than ambitious dictators, seeking to destroy those they can't control, and buy off those they can't destroy.

Thankfully, Lash has already asked many of the pertinent questions. Seth nods along and otherwise silently supports his words. Of course, he doesn't much care for the details of Lord Padraig's answers, but...what can one expect? Desirable answers to questions like those are few and far between. Still...it seems a mite odd, Padraig's reticence to clarify the end goal. Not enough to warrant deep inspection, but something to keep in mind for the future. Seth isn't sure he thinks Padraig has the talent to pull off something true devious. Best not to become paranoid.

"Can I presume the rest of you --" He gestures to include everyone around the table. "-- will ally with each other for these various goals? With Sir Oakley's intention to cleanse the site, you'll have much to keep in mind."
    "Aye," Seth says, glancing briefly around the table and offering a small smile. "All willing to brave these dangers, in Bahamut's name or elsewise, are allies true. I should be glad of their company, if they be glad of mine."

At this point the young elf demurs, holding up his hands with palms out. "I, I'm very sorry, m'lord Padraig, but I, I, I, I don't think this is something I can handle. Forty or more orcs, a cult, and a major task on top of all that? I ... I'm ..." The apprentice pushes his chair back from the table. "No, I don't have the courage in me, I think." The human lord lets out a little sigh. "I'm glad you came, anyway, young one. Perhaps another day. Avandra's grace go with you."
    Seth nods to the boy, giving a respectful salute. "There is no shame in choosing your battles wisely, young one. Take this, not as a failure, but as inspiration to rise higher, that when a future call comes, you will stand ready. May Bahamut's wings shelter you."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Lash - Half-Elf Dabbler

Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    "Aye," Seth says, glancing briefly around the table and offering a small smile. "All willing to brave these dangers, in Bahamut's name or elsewise, are allies true. I should be glad of their company, if they be glad of mine."
    His countenance returning to a more composed state listening to Seth's flowery lanuage, he turns to take in the larger Dragonborn. "Aye Friend, I shall march with you again, and gladly. Where you go, adventure follows." He shifts slightly towards the Paladin, and away from the Tiefling, who has certainly not creeped him out throughly. "I know several of you not, but I am well fed and well rested. Does anyone here have reason to not set out adventuring this day?"
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

As he watches some of the crowd disperse, a core group of individuals emerges at the center. They all appear animated, talking over each other and the man known as Padraig. Geth seizes on the opportunity to address the group.

"I shall join you on a quest to the Abbey, if you'll have me. My name is Gethandoral, but you may call me Geth. "

Turning to the Mayor, the monk continues. Lord Padraig, I'd have a private word with you first on behalf of Chief Eriyel, if possible."

Spoiler: for Padraig
    Show
    If Padraig agrees, Geth will mention that he is looking for a pair of Eladrin siblings, the Velfarren, who had come through months earlier, in search of their father. Geth will inquire if Padraig has seen the Eladrin, or heard any word from them.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2020-04-27 at 01:58 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Lash - Half-Elf Dabbler

Lash nearly falls out of his chair as he spins to look at the newcomer. "Geth? Gethandoral!? Cousin, you are alive!" Lash all but trips over himself in an attempt to hug Geth. "Geth, we all thought you died years ago. We must talk, cousin." At this moment Lash realizes that his facade of cool may have just been shattered, but for this moment, the return of his deceased cousin is far more important to him.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

Geth's expression breaks into a grin as his cousin barrels towards him, recognition dawning on his face. "Little Laury?!? It's been what, 20 years? Oh I am so glad to have found you! When I returned to the Harkenwood, it was full of unfamiliar faces, and . . . " he puts his arm around his cousin and the two of them catch up, seemingly ignoring the rest of the world for a time.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?"
    Padraig is momentarily stunned. "Ah ..."

Zeal looks around at the wide eyes in reaction to the statement and dips her head a little. "That's, er, a thing one of my parents' dwarven retainers would say every time he was tasked with a duty. Like weeding the garden, or a trip to the market."
    Relief washes over the lord's face and he chuckles while watching the other adventurers' reactions. He's about to respond to Geth's request when a spontaneous family reunion breaks out, and he goes right back to looking stunned.

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Aly's attention seems to have wandered off. Her striking, wide eyes stare off to a dark corner of the inn. She shifts in her seat, turning her head, as if trying to get a better angle to see the point, but tracing her line of sight, there appears to be nothing. "Mmmm..." she sighs. "Ah, yes, yes, that will be very good," her voice just above a whisper. It's unclear who she might be responding to.

Then suddenly, like a switch has been flipped, Alyanna is back in the here and now. She crunches down on one last bit from her apple, before tossing the core into the fire place. She stands bolt upright. "I have no more business in town. I'm ready when you are."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zeal

"I know several of you not, but I am well fed and well rested. Does anyone here have reason to not set out adventuring this day?"
    • • •
    "Lord Padraig, I'd have a private word with you first on behalf of Chief Eriyel, if possible."
    • • •
    "I have no more business in town. I'm ready when you are."
    • • •
    Zeal's eyes dart back and forth as so much happens at once! She leans towards Padraig and in a bit of a stage whisper says, "Oho, I guess that Eriyel conversation's going to have to wait a moment." She steals a look at the cousins, a look that's not entirely unlike the one Padraig gave her earlier. "We'd, uh, better make sure not to leave them behind though. They both look extremely... capable."
    Last edited by angille; 2020-04-29 at 05:08 PM. Reason: it... all went italic for some reason?
    TwitterDiscord

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

Geth gives his cousin a tight bear-hug, slightly awkward for one of his smaller stature, then snags Padraig's attention. The two of them sit down in a far corner and discuss quietly among themselves for a minute. Anyone looking in their direction will see broad smiles, genuine laughter, and a meeting that concludes with a solid, brotherly arm-grip.

Geth looks to the rest of the group. "I need to get a few items, but I should be ready soon." He then heads to the bar and starts discussing options with the waitress, who hands him three flasks of a dark brown liquor. He pays her and pockets the items.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Though those assembled are mostly ready to leave in short order, Seth and Lash's recent traveling companion Sir Oakley (a human knight) intends to join the group once the holy day's special rites are finished. And a fellow Bahamutian from the eastern side of Nentir Vale, now also taking part in the local temple's ceremony, might join them as well. Since Sir Oakley is willing to pay a healthy sum for an escort to the Abbey and aid in resanctifying its temple, waiting until he's ready makes sense.

The ceremony should wrap up in about two more hours, maybe a little less given the rarity of dedicated worshippers in the village. In the meantime, last-minute supplies can be obtained, packs packed, mounts barded and saddled, otherworldly patrons bespoken, family ties renewed and so forth.

Spoiler: Whatcha doon'?
    Show
    Post any tasks you take care of in town, and feed your character into the scene below.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

As Oakley and Gissel exit the shrine, he's complimenting her on her evocation of Bahamut's presence. "Never have I felt more transported ... electrified. I could veritably feel the chill wind's rush -- I had to look at the candles on the altar to know the door had not blown open! You have quite a talent, miss. I would be pleased to have your benefice in my quest to the east, cleansing a site long ago known as a bastion of Bahamut's faithful, now many decades fallen. There will likely be danger, but there will certainly be reward of both the purse and the soul." Followers of the Platinum Dragon don't hoard their wealth when it can be used in the service of justice and righteousness.

Current games list

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

After securing his purchases, Geth reunites with his cousin.

"So, who is this Lash I heard the others speak of? Is that what you have them calling you?" Geth chuckles, his face beaming. "I suppose it's no different than me going by Geth now though. It is good to see you, cousin."

Geth hugs the half-elf once again and keeps his head close, continuing the conversation in a nearly inaudible fashion. Those nearby may hear snippets ...

"slavers ... yeah, in the southern continent"

"... it's mostly fire, but we strive for a balance of elements ..."

" ... so it's not just me? It IS growing in red, right? So weird ..."

And so on.

After a bit of catching up, Geth will awkwardly try to bus his table, bringing the mug directly back to the kitchen. Upon being shooed out, he will retrieve his belongings, secure his pack and sword, and head outside to meet up with any others.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2020-05-01 at 11:39 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Gissel
    AC 22, Fort 19, Ref 16, Will 22|HP: 48/48

"Why thank you, Sir Oakley. I do my best. And you can count on me for your quest." She puts out her arm for Sir Oakley to lean on, should he wish to do so.

Spoiler: Resource tracking
    Show
    Active effects:

Healing surges (12 hp): 10/10

Encounter powers:
    Action Point
    Channel Divinity (Maledictor's Doom, Rebuke Undead)
    Whispers of Defeat
    Thunder of Judgment
    Bloodied Determination
    Dwarven Resilience
    Forced Advantage
    Demand Justice
    Amulet of Life

Daily Powers:
    Silent Malediction
    Malediction of Blindness
    Onatar's Forge
    Semper ludens.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Lash - Half-Elf Dabbler

"..... they don't know, so call me Lash now, ok cousin?...."

".... we never thought to look that far, if only we'd known ....."

".... so, you have fire magic now? That's so cool......"

".... I wonder if it's because of your Southern diet, being flame-touched, or just your being sun bleached...."
    "

Lash quickly retrieves his belongings with his cousin, comparing his elegant blade against Geth's far wavier one. Though years may have passed since they saw each other last, and a great deal of living and pain has shaped each one differently, the cousins are quickly and firmly reunited.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Seth
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    Geth's expression breaks into a grin as his cousin barrels towards him, recognition dawning on his face. "Little Laury?!? It's been what, 20 years? Oh I am so glad to have found you! When I returned to the Harkenwood, it was full of unfamiliar faces, and . . . " he puts his arm around his cousin and the two of them catch up, seemingly ignoring the rest of the world for a time.
    "We'd, uh, better make sure not to leave them behind though. They both look extremely... capable."
    Seth breaks into a wide smile (which, being a dragonborn, is very wide indeed). Were it not for the sparkle of his eyes, and the jaunty lift of his voice, one might mistake it for something more serious. "A propitious omen indeed, that the quest should begin with family reunited. May our next steps be so blessed." Briefly, he touches his holy symbol as he says this, perhaps in a ritual gesture. Seth then bows to Padraig, a swift but not curt motion. "Thank you, Lord Mayor. We shall convene with our allies, and ere long hie ourselves upon the road. It is time we bade you farewell, 'til the unending road comes back upon the eyrie."

~~~~~~~

Sirius waits outside, and Seth leads him on from the inn to the temple. He has no need of holding the reins at this time: the horse is celestial, after all, and more than smart enough to follow his Paladin without overt direction. Of course, Sirius also sticks out like a sore thumb, looking pristine and demonstrating flawless dressage, like rummaging through a box of dull agates and finding a polished star sapphire. As they approach the temple, Sir Oakley's distinctive words float toward them.
    "...pleased to have your benefice in my quest to the east, cleansing a site long ago known as a bastion of Bahamut's faithful, now many decades fallen. There will likely be danger, but there will certainly be reward of both the purse and the soul."
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    "Why thank you, Sir Oakley. I do my best. And you can count on me for your quest."
    "Aye, 'twill be most meet to have your aid, Sister Gissel. I hope your practice goes as well as it sounds, Brother Oakley, for soon we shall ride." Sirius twitches his ears at that--he seems quite ready to begin the journey. In fairness, this is some of the most interesting activity he's had in quite some time, having been resting in the celestial realms during Seth's long and unexpected sleep. "By Bahamut's grace, already we have bonds of faith and family, and unless I misdoubt, we shall forge more and stronger bonds yet."

Spoiler: Aside
    Show
    Unless he has a reason otherwise, Seth will likely refer to Oakley and Gissel as Brother and Sister respectively, seeing them as equals within the faith. When referencing Oakley to others, "Sir" would be preferred to recognize his social rank; Seth doesn't actually know Gissel's social rank, and thus defaults to Sister for referencing her unless some more fitting title is appropriate.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2020-05-01 at 03:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

After the meeting, Alyanna goes back upstairs to her room. Knowing there would be some time to wait as the others finished their business and gathered, Aly decides it is high time to renew her connection to her power. She rummages around in her back for a moment before pulling out a thick tome. She sits cross-legged on the inn bed, laying the book across her lap. She flips through the pages, until she finds a particular arcane diagram. Alyanna begins tracing the ink lines with her fingers, breathing in and out slowly and deeply. She begins to feel herself entering a trance-like state. Her head and shoulders sway in a rhythmic motion. The ink-lines flow off the paper, her fingers still following them in an intricate dance whose pattern even she can't comprehend. Her eyes flutter, then suddenly shoot open. She mutters in a voice only barely recognizable as her own; it was a hoarse, wet growl. She speaks in the tongue that had come to her in a dream; the language shared between the deepest recesses of the earth and the farthest depths of the starry night sky.

Alyanna's mind is in a place beyond the confines of her room. While she can still see the walls, they are of little consequence. The power flowing into her and through her care little for physical confines. Tiny motes of energy float around her. Are they real, or simply hallucinations? She can never quite tell. The tiny specks drift through a rainbow of colors and beyond, sometimes so bright she is afraid they will blind her, then within seconds so dark that they seem to forcefully draw the ambient light from the room. They sing to her humming in a thousand frequencies all at once, a beautiful music without melody. Despite having heard it many times now, it still fills Aly with an uncertain dread. The air is heavy with a greasy electricity. The dancing motes dance along the flesh on her arms and torso, feeling like pin-pokes of burning heat or icy cold. Alyanna can only marvel at the experience and let the process that she started continue. She knows vaguely what to expect, but every time it is a little different. Is her patron testing her? Trying to find how much she can handle as he engulfs her in its sweet energy? This time it is synesthesia that finally overtakes her. The sensations are suddenly all jumbled in her mind, mixing and crossing over her senses like the chaotic waves of a storm-tossed sea. She smells the soured-milk of the humming music, tastes the acidic bite of the flashes of heat and the bitter chill of the cold, hears the nameless multitude of colors. Too much for her mind to process all at once.

Then suddenly, it all stops. Did she pass out? No, probably not. She is still sitting upright. Probably just got overwhelmed for a moment. It usually ends that way. She takes a few deliberate, steadying breaths and closes the book in her lap. "Thank you," she says in a whisper as she stands. She goes to the wash basin to wash the sweat from her goose-pimpled skin before packing up the last of her belongings, grabbing up her staff, and leaving for the temple where the group was set to meet.

--------------------------------

By the time Alyanna reaches the temple, her heart rate has slowed, and she appears... well not exactly normal, but as normal as she ever seems to get. She wasn't exactly happy to be going to the Temple of Bahamut. Their priests always seemed so judgy. Aly certainly didn't need any more of that sort of attitude in her life. But the dragonborn from breakfast this morning hadn't been so bad. Oh, and there he is now, leaving the temple with a few of the other clergy. And the elf cousins are approaching from the other direction. Aly changes her heading slightly to meet up with Lash and Geth on their way to the temple. "Good day, have you had a proper chance to catch up?" she asks cheerily.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Lash - Half-Elf Dabbler

Seeing the human that "borrowed" one of Valthrun's books earlier in the day, Lash pauses his conversation with Geth. With a chuckle, he responds to her, "Oh no, far from it young lady. Geth was lost to my family for decades, and he has had such adventures! But perhaps, for now, it is time for us to let it rest. We will have more time on the road." Lash smiles at his cousin, knowing they will likely annoy the party some with their talk, and not caring a bit about it. But for now, it is time for someone else to take focus. "But enough about us. What brings you towards adventure? You are no brute, and no obvious weapons, so I suspect you are a caster. Staff, colorful fabrics, you are of the arcane persausion, like myself I suspect. Are you here for fortune, fame, a bit of both, or something else entirely?"
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show