New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness at Gardmore Abbey (IC)

There are signs that the first hundred yards or so of the grove used to be an ornamental garden. Weathered, beheaded statues ... remnants of a paved path ... a flower-encrusted fallen trellis. Gissel's tireless work carries the party past a fountain made of some green-silver metal in excellent condition, a stark contrast to everything organic and returning to Nature surrounding it. She recognizes the material as "living steel", able to repair itself and favored for making less encumbering heavy armor. The fountain's basin, retaining a trickle of water, is flanked by nude statues of a slightly orcish young man and a slightly elvish young woman, touching fingertips. Seth recalls that lovers considered its waters good luck, but it smells brackish now.

Spoiler: living steel
    Show
    If you can get a substantial amount of this stuff back to Winterhaven, given some time, the smith Thair Coalstriker should be able to shape it into scale or plate armor. Similar to the extra types of masterwork armor in Adventurer's Vault and Dark Sun, it'd have special characteristics in addition to any enchantment you put on it. Scale would be base AC +8 with no loss of speed, while plate would be AC +9 and skill penalty reduced to -1. Alternatively, it can become money if you can find a buyer.

The party exits the former garden at a broken spot in its southwest wall. The verdure in the deeper woods beyond doesn't have the drained carcasses and nest-webbing of the area already passed, but Geth can see why without even stepping in. A peculiar paw print and some unusual scraping high up on tree trunks declare this the territory of one or more displacer beasts.

One shadow-dappled trail runs near this wall, heading west and a little north toward the hill's peak where Oakley wants to be. Looking at the steep rise in that direction, though, he seems deflated; it'll be rough going with his lingering injury. The path does seem tended, at least; it lacks overgrowth in a way that nature alone would not maintain. To the left, another path can be seen heading south. Seth isn't sure either one existed in the far past, though two cobblestone roads did, pointing approximately the same directions.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Oakley turns his gaze away from the heights and slowly looks over the party. He seems to draw strength from their youthful vitality and their willingness to march into danger for a good goal.

"Let us continue. Hilt to hand and eyes open, friends, for displacer beasts do not pause when they spy prey."

The party makes its way west, following the partially maintained road as it snakes up the steep hill. Aromatic budding trees crowd the path's sides, each festooned with lichen and hanging moss. Birds chatter to each other in the branches; a large garnet-scaled snake watches without expression as the adventurers pass.

At the southern end of the second switchback, a dirt path splits off from the road to go south and downhill. As the party pauses there to let Sir Oakley catch his breath, Gethandoral notices two oddities. First, a fairly large patch of trees due south looks like it's stuck in autumn, not the springtime the rest of the hillside is enjoying. Second, a whisper of a song played on a woodwind reaches his ears, coming from that direction.

Spoiler: Alyanna
    Show
    Musical instruments combined with a "differently natural" patch of forest pretty clearly says 'fey' to you -- nymphs, more likely than anything else. The pattern is one of the few areas where arcane theory matches up well with tales for children, and you were exposed to both at the same time ...

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

"Lash, these sound like the songs from home, do they not?" Geth presses forward, his interest definitely piqued by the instrumentation toward the autumnal region of the gardens. "I say it is worth investigating, while we are here."

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyanna Rhoe - Human Warlock

Alyanna pauses for a moment, straining to hear the music Geth mentioned. "Maybe music from home if your home is in the Feywild. Everything about that direction sings of the Feywild, if you ask me. Which come to think of it, no one did." She shrugs, "Oh well. Probably nymphs or the like down that way is all I'm saying, apparently to no one." She glances around, "No children here to be stolen away in the night? Well, it's not night, so we'll probably be okay anyway. I have no problem with meeting them." She begins marching toward the southern path, her staff in hand extended before her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alyanna could be convinced to go the other way instead, if others speak up, I just had her start moving that way to keep things moving.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Gissel

Gissel stares incredulously from one to the other. These are fey. And they choose to go there? Do they not have faerie tales where these people come from?

Humming under her breath, Gissel sets out after them. Someone has to look after them. Like herding cats...

Spoiler: Resource tracking
    Show
    Active effects:

Healing surges (12 hp): 7/10

Encounter powers:
    Action Point
    Channel Divinity (Maledictor's Doom, Rebuke Undead)
    Whispers of Defeat
    Thunder of Judgment
    Bloodied Determination
    Dwarven Resilience
    Forced Advantage
    Demand Justice
    Amulet of Life

Daily Powers:
    Silent Malediction
    Malediction of Blindness
    Onatar's Forge
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-06-14 at 02:19 PM.
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Lash - Half-Elf Dabbler

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    "Lash, these sound like the songs from home, do they not? I say it is worth investigating, while we are here."
    Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    "No children here to be stolen away in the night?"
    Lash was starting to looks a bit anxious, but after the other Warlock's comments, his face goes pale, and his hand finds a firm grasp on his rapier's sheath. "Yes, so like home. Let us investigate. I would hate for us to be taken unawares."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Zeal's butterflies lead her cheerily down the southern path behind Alyanna. It doesn't take long to reach the autumnal area. The trees here retain most of their leaves, but all in brown, yellow and red. And despite the state of the trees there's also a significant layer of leaves on the ground. A predator's tracks skirt the outer edge of the seasonal anomaly without entering.

The sound of song, beautiful but simple, grows clearer as the adventurers continue. It's joined by two voices, soprano and contralto, singing in an unfamiliar language. Hearing that, Lash pauses to feel the mana currents in the place, finding no enchantments on any particular object but a faint aura all around.

Then, half a minute farther along, the adventurers see a clearing ahead. Dust and lazy insects in the air show that the sun's rays are all steeply slanted even though it's still high in the sky. Six humanoid women are within. One looks like wrinkled and faded paper; she sits on a stone beside a large pool and leans on a walking stick that has a leather loop on the end supporting a sleeping bat. The other five, each pretty and plump and dressed in fallen leaves, are entertaining themselves with song and dance. As one of the younger women sees the party, she whispers inaudibly to her companions. They all stop to look at you, bearing secretive smiles and whispering amongst themselves. One beckons gently and says, "Welcome, mortalfolk. Will you play our game?" The crone's eyes open and she turns to face you as well, expressionless and silent.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-06-15 at 11:26 AM.

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

Stepping forward and bowing low, Geth addresses the group. "Good day to you. I may be interested in your game, but I would ask a question first, if I may." Holding himself at the utmost of propriety, he continues (unless they object or interrupt).

"I am looking for members of the Velfarren family. Lord Berrian Velfarren, and Lady Analastra Velfarren. They came this way from Mithrendain, looking for their father, Lord Zandrian Velfarren, who has gone missing."

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

One of the other youths cups a hand over her more outgoing friend's ear to deliver a murmur. The speaker nods, then replies to Geth, "That secret I can tell you! But follow the game's rule: first, a secret of yours I shall hear." She steps away from the bunch, beckoning him to join her as she walks to a place half in shadow and half in autumn light. The crone's eyes follow her until she stops, then snap back to the adventurers. Another of the young fey sings in their direction, "Whispered secrets, share and share alike." They all look eager and amused.

Spoiler
    Show
    For clarity: Fey A initiated contact with the group. Fey B whispered to Fey A, then Fey A made her counteroffer to Geth. Fey C suggested that everyone play the game ...

Sir Oakley looks uncomfortable at the goings-on, like he feels out of his depth here.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-06-15 at 12:59 PM.

Current games list

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

The young monk steps forward, rubbing his hand over the soft fuzz atop his head. It is coming in orange now, like fire. “A secret, you say? Hmm… I could tell you that I am easily seasick, or that I once stole an apple as a child and blamed my sister . . . thought I suspect that is not the kind you are looking for.

He turns to look at his companions, making sure to catch each of them by the eye, before looking back toward the fey. “You may have heard by now, the reason Lash and I were so excited to see each other, is that I was kidnapped as a small child when my village was raided and that I have been missing some many years. This is true, and it is also true that through fortune and accident, I was able to escape.

I was raised in the midst of a desert wasteland, by the monks at a temple devoted to the elements, and taught the ways of the Desert Wind. The Desert Wind teaches us to gently shape the world around us for the better, and that seemed a noble cause. In recent years, however, the monks had begun to see a particular shape when they conjured the sacred Flame, and soon the shape began to call itself Imix. Soon, the monks tore down the old symbols and replaced them with something new, casting off the Desert Wind, and proclaiming themselves devotees of Imix, an Archomental, whom they now called the Lord of Fire. Imix taught of the castigating power of flame, using it to shape the world by callously burning away that which was inferior, to punish ones enemies, and to demand obedience from the unworthy.

In my teenage years, while I was in town to get provisions for the temple, I happened to recognize a man who was with me on that voyage so many years ago. I followed him, using my training to stay hidden, until he met up with his companions. Within a tavern, deep in their cups, I saw two dozen slavers and overcome with rage and hearing the teachings of Imix in my head … I barred the doors, locked them in and burned them all to ash and cinders.

Geth shudders as he reveals this last bit.

Sometimes, in the quiet of the night, I can still hear the screams of the others in the tavern. The barmaid, the innkeeper, even the lutist who kept everyone entertained that evening.

Geth takes a deep breath, his eyes closing as he inhales, and then opening as he exhales.

When I returned to the temple, with the full weight of what I had done, I found that I could no longer call the Flame. Something within me had … broken. The teachings of the temple had been perverted, and what the current masters espoused was at odds with what I knew in my heart to be true. In the night, unable to reconcile my thoughts with my deeds, I fled. I stole this sword from my master and left, hoping to find death, or redemption, in the wastelands.

I wandered in the desert for weeks, beseeching the elements to grant me relief. At last, I came to what I thought was an oasis. Nearly dead from thirst and falling over from exhaustion, I knelt down to drink from the cool waters.

The taste of sand in my mouth was bitter, dry, and gritty. In my despair, I collapsed. I had a vision of a cleansing flame, the flame of creation, burning pure and bright. The vision was of Zaaman Rul, the rebellious son of Imix, who denounces his father and his teachings, and seeks out those who are pure of heart. . . those who are good. I was reborn that night, in the flame. It is to he who I now pledge my life, and who I try to emulate in my every word and deed. Gently shaping the world through noble actions and deeds . . . and that is now my aim in life.

As he finishes, Geth lowers his head and sighs. It is as if a great weight has left him. He is quiet for a moment, then lifts his head and smiles, tears streaming down his face.

I have carried that burden for nearly two years now. It feels good to set it down.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2020-06-15 at 01:32 PM. Reason: formatting

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

The fey woman listens with an open heart as Geth pours out his story. At the shuddersome conclusion, she sighs. "A secret no longer. But I like you, Son of the Flame, and I will honor your spirit by upholding our bargain ..." She slides to the elf's side and whispers something in his ear.

Spoiler: whisper whisper murmur
    Show
    "The siblings Velfarren are close. Seek one at the shrine to Knowing deeper in the woods, where many sit unknowing. The other ... will find you soon enough, or perhaps won't in time. And we know a secret about their father! But your reward is complete, dear man."

She kisses him lightly on the ear before backing away, giggling. The crone scowls at that, though her face was stone throughout Geth's heart-opening. One of the other fey approaches Sir Oakley and says, "Have you hidden anything in your armored heart, platinic one? Whisper me a secret!" The knight backs away with distress on his face. "Confession, to a heathen? I think not. My own church quite suffices."
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-06-19 at 01:40 PM.

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seth
    AC 26, Fort 19, Ref 19, Will 19 | HP: 59/59 | Surges: 11/12

Seth ponders for a long time. Brother Oakley is quite right, that their faith is ample confession. But this could be of use, here and now. While he holds his head high, knowing that Bahamut is with him, he is not proud of everything he has done. A sin forgiven is not, necessarily, a sin forgotten. And in this case...a sin forgiven may yet be a sin with consequences. When he speaks, there is a certain richness, or something like it, to his voice, perhaps a resonance between his effective age and theirs--maybe a common ground between ageless things. "I shall tell of one, if it be welcome. A secret of eld, and perhaps thereby the more powerful, for it may be that none save I live who know it. Or mayhaps some do, wherefore they vengeance seek."

He can feel Sir Oakley's surprise before he sees it etched on the man's face. After a glance back at the fey, he shakes his head. He whspers,"Fear not, Sir. I have no illusions about Whose opinion matters here, and hereafter. But if a secret shame shared may save a life, who in His flock would stand silent?" That he uses the more deferential "Sir," and not "Brother," is more than noteworthy.

"Come forward, lady fae, and secrets I shall speak." That this rhymes with the last thing he said to her is, most likely, an accident, but a welcome one with creatures of such capricious taste.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

One of the autumn nymphs goes to Seth and hears his secret. Her face performs a conversational dance as she listens. Pulling away, Seth sighs, and raises his right hand to rub a brow ridge. Returning to his normal volume, but lacking some of his usual strength, he concludes, "That is my secret."

"For the telling, I ask you: Who in this fallen Abbey may we trust? It takes no divination to know we will find strange things in this place. If none can be taken at their word, I should like to know it; but if some can, well, that too should be worth knowing."
    The fey considers a moment, one hand on a cheek, then stands on tiptoes to whisper in return to the towering dragonborn.

Spoiler: whisper murmur whisper susurration
    Show
    "Of those who lair here atop the hill, none would speak open truth simply from the goodness of their hearts, but many will trade in apt fairness should ye come to an understanding. The orcs' low master and the eladrin seekers are such, but the cold one in the Tower Arcane lacks the sanity. 'Neath the earth, better to put faith in none at all."

Lash and Alyanna seem to be mentally composing things to say. The sour grandmother figure, looking directly at Lash's face, stands slowly from her rock and approaches him. She doesn't disguise her creaking pain in doing so.

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Gissel

Gissel traces a circle in the dirt with her feet, reaching down to rip up a few clumps of grass where needed. Humming softly, she brushes the area inside the circle clean, before stepping inside.

"Bahmut, grant me guidance. Should we go to the watchtower? The shrine? Or the bell tower?"

Show
    Active effects:

Encounter powers:
    Action Point
    Whispers of Defeat
    Thunder of Judgment
    Bloodied Determination
    Dwarven Resilience
    Forced Advantage
    Demand Justice
    Amulet of Life

Daily Powers:
    Silent Malediction
    Malediction of Blindness
    Onatar's Forge
    Semper ludens.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

The nymph who whispered to Geth waits, hands on hips, until Gissel's ritual is complete. As a spectral hand points unerringly ---> north and upslope toward the bell tower --->, the fey waves her hands in a broad motion and a layer of crinkled brown autumn leaves sweeps in to cover the dwarf's tidy circle.

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Glad to see the direction of the divine, Sir Oakley says loudly, "Good. Yes. Let us go, for fortune awaits us up the hill."

Zeal breaks off a dialogue she was sharing with a laughing nymph all in rolling poetic feet, gives her hand a squeeze and says, "You're a delight! I'll see you anon." The fey chuckles and replies, "Mayhap you shall and mayhap you shan't."

The gnarled crone, done waiting for Lash to speak his truth, puts an accusing finger up near his eyes and grumbles, "You hold your secrets too well, pretty lad. Or maybe you've had your fill of bargains with uncanny creatures? Go." The half-elf and Aly follow their companions north out of the autumnal glade, both looking lost in thought but navigating the root-strewn ground without trouble.

Back among the heavier growth, Oakley puts his hand on Geth's shoulder and tells him, "You have borne your shame well. May your soul find comfort. When I pray, I will entreat the gods to bolster your strength, that you need never lay down the burden of living a cleansed life."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

At the north end of this switchback on the trail, with the curve to the south a few paces away, the adventurers hear something disturbing. The yowl of a hunting panther (or, more likely in this place, a displacer) cuts through the chatter of animals and shishing of breeze in the leaves -- and it's accompanied by a very human-sounding shriek! Not thinking, Sir Oakley dashes forward, then collapses to the ground holding his ankle and gritting his teeth in pain. "Damnation! Hurry and find what that sound was!"

A disturbing sight greets the party as they near the base of the bell tower. A humanoid figure in brightly colored clothes lies unmoving on the ground near a pair of displacer beasts that are whipping their tentacles at something buzzing through the air.

Spoiler: Knowledge check results and meta stuff
    Show
    Geth is unfortunately well acquainted with dire stirges and recognizes their shape and sound at a distance. They're very souped-up mosquitoes and they can kill a person pretty quickly. Size is Small, they're not minions, fly speed 6, their grab attack causes lots of ongoing damage. Gissel knows that they usually prefer to hunt stealthily in the dark, so something must have stirred them up.

Lash is aware of how dangerous even a single displacer beast is -- they're level 9, so be careful! Alyanna understands their illusion defense better than most:

When a melee or a ranged attack hits the displacer beast, if the player rolled an odd number on the attack roll, the attack misses. If the player rolled an even number on the attack roll, the attack hits as normal, and the beast loses this trait until the start of its next turn.
    It's going to take a while to set up the tracker for a combat; I'll start after lunch.

This is fortune?!

The more sharp-eyed half of the party (Seth, Geth and Gissel) are pretty sure that the fallen humanoid is an eladrin!

Seeing and hearing the party approach, one of the displacers breaks off attacking the flying annoyances. It slinks over the terrain as quickly and silently as a hawk's shadow, lashing at Lash and Geth with the tentacles sprouting from its back. The two heroes, ready for trouble, deflect the attacks, though they can already tell that the illusion is throwing off their sense of where the beast's body actually is.

===> Seth, Geth, Zeal, you're up. Lash activated song of serendipity and skald's aura on the way here. Ezekiel, you can choose whether you similarly already powered up: you can be on (or beside) Sirius if you like.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-06-22 at 08:36 AM.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

"Something light on its feet, hmm. Truly a challenge! Let's take care of these and try to rescue the injured eladrin! I think that may be my quarry."

Geth dances forward, moving around to the back of the beast to try and give his allies some increased chance of success. He strikes out hard, hitting the beast on its flank with his scimitar, then dancing to the side and tagging it with a touch of fire. As his sword makes contact, the shimmering illusion around the creature ripples, and the attack swings through the air. The followup jab makes a *whiff* sound as it too misses the beast.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack rolls. Rolled odd on the dice so it's a big fat miss from me.

Let's flank and strike this thing down!
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2020-06-22 at 11:13 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

18. - Top - End - #138

Seth
    AC 26, Fort 19, Ref 19, Will 19 | HP: 59/59 | Surges: 11/12
    Perhaps eager to move on from dredging up the clouds of the distant (and yet not-so-distant) past, Seth lunges forward toward the beasts. "Quick they may be, but justice comes for both the quick and the dead." Passing betwen Lash and Alyanna, he plants himself between the beasts and the party, and unleashes the rime-streaked gale within his breast. He follows it up with a curving swipe of his blade that leaves a glowing trace briefly in the air.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: to R5.

Minor: Dragon breath. Attack vs Reflex.
    Q6: 15
    R6: 17
    Q7: 27
    R7: 17
    Hit: 3 cold damage
    Effect: All creatures targeted by dragon breath are subject to divine sanction until the start of my next turn.

Standard: Holy Strike on R6. 15 vs AC.
    Since I have marked it, I get my Wisdom modifier (+2) as additional damage.
    Hit: 11 radiant damage.

Not particularly good rolls, but thankfully this mass-sanction power does not require a hit to succeed. Figured I'd wait to see if I can get more of them around before using a non-at-will, since I have a couple multi-target powers.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2020-06-23 at 05:38 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zeal
    AC 24, Fort 19, Ref 19, Will 21 | HP: 48/53

Zeal squeezes her eyes trying to focus on the beasts. "Are these fey things too? I think I liked the nymphs better." She scrunches up her face in distaste and rushes past Seth to try to take advantage of a flanking gambit. Skidding to a halt, Zeal swings her glaive in an arc then a lunge towards the side of the strange beast, sure to strike... but the blade meets air! She pulls the glaive back and stares as the beast whips its tentacles wildly.
    Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Move action: to S7

Standard action: Energizing Strike: (1d20+15)[32] vs AC — sweet roll... if only the raw die weren't odd.

I'm half tempted to action point and get Lash into place so we have a flank-ring, lol. any objections?
    Designer of Cortex Shuffle – Fantasy Playset complete, and available pending licensing
    Currently developing Mythikal Fantasy and coreTEK, both using Cortex Prime
    TwitterDiscord

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

The beast is ringed in less time than it takes to tell the tale! Heroic adventurers brave the maiming tentacles, and though they land no attacks, their quarry is very distressed. It shifts and yowls, the sound seeming to come from beside its form. Hearing that sound, the beast's mate takes one last unaimed swipe at the bug and leaves to help its mate. Lash feels a vicious blow on his back, barbs penetrating his thick glamoured armor as if the force of the slap weren't enough.

The stirge, happy to be left alone, settles down for a meal, sinking its piercing proboscis into the fallen eladrin's flesh.

===> Lash, Aly, Gissel

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Aly feels a brief pulse of fear. Being quite used to having her mind altered, Aly is almost certain the fear was not her own. She gives Zeal a sideways glance. "These beasts are tough, but not as immune as they seem. They have a natural illusion defense, making your strikes as likely to hit air as the beast itself. Once the veil has been pierced, it takes it a moment to reform. So if you see one take a hit, focus your fire on it before it is able to react and reform the illusion."

As she speaks, she moves around the cluster of melee combatants, getting closer to the pile than she would like, but it was necessary if she wanted to blanket the area in her magic. The cloak of her magic dirge, she hopes, will be more difficult for the beast's illusions to fool. She calls out to the nearest beast. "Your death is near my psychotic little kitten," she says with malice. Then she pounds the butt of her staff against the ground before her in a slow but commanding rhythm that channeled her magic across both of the feline creatures. The nearer one simply gave her an annoyed growl, but the farther one is more strongly effected, throwing its tentacles over its ears and backing away a few steps.

Knowing the danger these beasts present, Aly presses her magic even further. She begins to weave together a second spell, using her staff to ward off any attacks from the beast's long tentacles. Points of light begin to dance around Aly's brow and suddenly one of them explodes in a beam of light flying straight at the nearer beast. Unfortunately, it too passed right through the image of the beast harmlessly.

Spoiler
    Show

Move: to position shown (activates shadow walk for concealment)
    Minor: Curse Displacer Beast 1
    Standard: Echoing Dirge (close blast 5) against 1 or 2 enemies in the burst. Attack vs DB1 Will - (1d20+12)[14] and Attack vs DB2 Will - (1d20+12)[25]. If hit, they take psychic damage - (1d8+7)[15] + curse damage for DB1 - (1d6)[2] and Aly can push them 2 squares.

I may spend an action point depending on how the first rolls go...

Edit: Went ahead and spent the action point, see OOC for rolls for crown of stars. I won't replicate them here more than to say it was an odd number and therefore a miss, but Alyanna now has a sustain minor attack power.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2020-06-25 at 02:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Gissel
    AC 22, Fort 19, Ref 16, Will 22|HP: 48/48

Gissel lifts her holy symbol to the sky, and burnings bolts come booming down like thunder. Both felines are hit right in the illusions, but the bloodsucker is burned and rattled. She then starts singing, a familiar refrain:

"OONward soldiers of the LIIIIIIIGHT"

"BURN the foe with dragon's MIIIIIGHT"

Displacer 1 gets Maledictor's Doom + Whispers of Defeat. The stirge is hit with Thunder of Judgment.

Show
    Active effects:

Encounter powers:
    Action Point
    Whispers of Defeat

Thunder of Judgment
    Bloodied Determination
    Dwarven Resilience
    Forced Advantage
    Demand Justice
    Amulet of Life

Daily Powers:
    Silent Malediction
    Malediction of Blindness
    Onatar's Forge
    [/QUOTE]
    Semper ludens.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

When the second displacer beast slaps Lash's back, his eyes and weapon gain a dark gleam and, for just a flash of a moment, everyone gets the sensation of a malign alien presence focusing on the attacker. The beast flinches and jerks but doesn't let the attention stop its attack.

The young courtier brings his blade to bear on his party's favored target, scowling as he cuts deeply into an illusion.

The uninjured but beleagured and panicking displacer beast tries to slink out of its circle of pain ...

Spoiler: squeezing
    Show
    DB1 will squeeze into its northwest square, which provokes attacks from everyone surrounding, and everyone has combat advantage for flanking during the OA. Let's see if the party's luck keeps up. Zeal's mantle gives everyone +2 OA damage, which might dissuade the beastie if it knew, which it doesn't.
    Zeal (d20+15)[26] for [roll]2d4+4[roll] plus (d6)[1] damage. angille, given how PbP has to work, if that's a hit then you're welcome to augment the screaming blade power retroactively.
    Lash (d20+14)[22] for [roll]4d8+7[roll] damage and grant +2 attack to Seth
    Seth (d20+14)[25] for (d8+7)[8] damage
    Geth (d20+14)[32] for (d8+7)[10] damage

The squeeze completes. Still squeezing, it'll use its power to shift half of its now halved speed (so, 3 squares) and attack once or twice (required by the power, which I'm only using to GTFO, I'd rather not attack at all while sanctioned and Gissel'ed and -5 for squeezing). Against Seth: [roll]d20+6[roll] vs AC, takes 10 damage on a miss, deals its full 19 damage on a critical hit because 20 is the only number that would hit! Then shifting from Q6 --> P5 --> O5 --> N6 and stopping squeezing, back to full size.

That's a move action and a standard action. Done. Phew, what a mess!

It doesn't escape unscathed, and Gethandoral's strike reveals its form as it slides between him and Zeal. The beast is also burned with holy light as it flails at Seth!

==> Zeal, Seth, Geth
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-06-26 at 11:47 AM.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Geth - Elf Monk

Geth is emboldened by his successful strike at the beast, and chases after it, slipping into the cover of trees. He swings out with his sword and misses, but follows with a deft strike of his palm, tagging the beast solidly and singeing the fur on its back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moved to N8 (full concealment)
    Missed with Burning Brand
    Action Point
    Crit with Ki Flow (15 damage) + Desert Wind Flurry of Blows (5 fire damage)

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Holy light and crushing distress burn and twist the limbs of the injured displacer beast as it tries to keep Geth at bay. Shoulders low and fear on its face, the injured displacer looks ready to cut and run!

The injured eladrin looks ready to bleed and die ...
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-06-26 at 09:40 PM.

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zeal
    AC 24, Fort 19, Ref 19, Will 21 | HP: 48/53

"Ooh, don't you think you can get away from us that easily, you... you creepy snaky kitty thing, you!" Zeal steps into place across the beast from Geth and braces her foot against the tree. She locks eyes with Geth, who gets a flash of thought and a distinct picture in mind before realizing what's about to happen. "Let's see how you like—" Zeal's voice fades and bounces between the trees as she and Geth *pop* into each others' places. "—your own tricks!" Her last word rings through the clearing like a bell, whether there's one in the tower or not, as the two adventurers stab in synchrony.

As the ringing of Zeal's cry echoes through the clearing, the eladrin on the ground groans and shifts below the stirge, and Lash feels the reverberations energizing him through to his core.
    Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Move action: to N5

Standard action: Fate Exchange: Zeal teleports to N8 and Geth teleports to N5.
    • Zeal uses Screaming Blade, Augment 1: (1d20+18)[27] vs AC — (2d4+7)[12] damage. the displacer beast is deafened and grants combat advantage until the end of Zeal's next turn. the prone eladrin may use a healing surge and make a save.
    • Geth uses Ki Flow: (1d20+16)[30] vs AC — (1d8+5)[9] damage. the prone eladrin may use a healing surge and make a save.

Minor action: Ardent Surge: Lash spends a surge and gains (2d6+13)[20] HP. he also gains a +1 bonus to attack until the end of Zeal's next turn.
    Designer of Cortex Shuffle – Fantasy Playset complete, and available pending licensing
    Currently developing Mythikal Fantasy and coreTEK, both using Cortex Prime
    TwitterDiscord

27. - Top - End - #147

Seth
    AC 26, Fort 19, Ref 19, Will 19 | HP: 59/59 | Surges: 10/12

Seth scowls. He can see the poor eladrin, bleeding and broken, but the shape of the battle...

No. Too many have been taken. Too many lives lost, whether "recently" to him, or "recently" to the world. This one life, though--just barely, just within reach. But they can be saved. The others have things well in hand for now. The dragonborn moves in a flash, running, a streak of mirror-shine through the overgrowth, but not heedless of danger. A saving angel in silver clad. Or, perhaps, in platinum.

"Fᴇᴀʀ ɴᴏᴛ, ᴄʜɪʟᴅ. Wɪɴɢꜱ ᴏꜰ Hᴏᴩᴇ ᴀɴᴅ Hᴇᴀʟɪɴɢ ꜱᴜʀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇᴇ." Knowing that the act will, in all likelihood, draw attention from the stirge, Seth reaches down to the victim's battered body. A glow of mottled gold, white, and blue surrounds his hand, then seems to pass into the recipient. "I give of myself, to replenish thee. Rise, if thou canst, and quit this place; we shall find thee anon."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spending my Standard to take a Move action instead. I would spend an AP, but I have no ranged attacks besides the breath, which I've already used. Will have to address that at some point...

First move: running down 7 squares to R12.
    Second move: diagonal down-left to N16 four squares + 1 for a square of difficult terrain, then two squares left to L16.
    Minor action: Lay on Hands. Seth spends one Healing Surge, eladrin gains HP as if having spent one. I have ten surges remaining.
    Last edited by ezekielraiden; 2020-07-01 at 04:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Braving the vicious barbed tentacles, Seth dashes to the fallen eladrin's aid. The young-looking man comes to with eyes glazed, feels the forty-pound thorn in his side, squeals and tries to push the stirge away. His efforts are in vain! The stirge merely buzzes its wings in annoyance, adjusts its grip and keeps sucking away precious lifeblood. Then the bell tower issues forth another of the little wretches, one that immediately seems intent on bypassing Seth's heavy armor plating.

Spoiler: Seth
    Show
    The "Run" action doesn't need to be in a straight line. If you want to end up next to the eladrin (square J16, not the same square as the dire stirge), you'll have to take an OA from Displacer Beast 2, there's just no way around it. Between its Large size and threatening reach it controls a 6x6 area, and going all the way around the edge takes more than 14 squares of movement. Even with the OA you need at least one Run to get there. Let's hope your AC holds up. (d20+16)[22] including CA for running, damage (2d6+7)[11]. I'm assuming you end up in K15.

Divine challenge is off because you didn't engage a foe, and sanction ends at the end of your turn, correct? So all beasties are currently unmarked.

The displacer beast that he passed spends no further attention on Seth, lashing out at the creatures trying to destroy its mate. Zeal and Lash find themselves dripping blood from abrasive cuts.

Spoiler: enemy actions
    Show
    DB2 whips at Zeal (with flanking CA: (d20+16)[35], damage (2d6+7)[13]) and Lash ((d20+14)[26], damage (2d6+7)[12]). Ends its turn in O10-P11.

Berrian wakes up, uses a move action to freak out, and tries to get the stirge off himself: Athletics (d20+12)[14] vs Fortitude. Success ends the grab and thus the ongoing damage.

Stirge1 thinks leftover Berrian will make a better meal than canned dragonborn, if it could even manage to open the can. Bite attack including CA for prone: (d20+14)[32] vs NPC's AC, hit deals (d6)[2] damage and inflicts grab+ongoing10. If Berrian didn't manage to free himself, the bite deals damage without a roll (so, no crit possible). Either way, if the stirge is grabbing at turn end, it gets +2 AC and Reflex which I forgot to write in last time.

Stirge2 double-moves out of the bell tower and starts buzzing around Seth's head.

==> Gissel, Aly, Lash
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-07-01 at 09:08 PM.

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

The dazzling array of stars dancing around Alyanna's head lash out again, burning a glowing line down the side of the currently-placed beast. "Haha! Take that!" She squeals with a giggle. Moving carefully because of the beast's dangerous reach, Aly steps a little closer to the other cat-creature. She continues pounding the butt of her staff against the ground in the same strange rhythm. To most, the rhythm seems benign, but to the two displacer beasts Aly's magic uses the sound to carry the threat of death straight into their minds. The farther one shakes the spells effects off easily. But the nearer beast, who was already on the verge of death, is pushed over the edge. It turns its tentacles on itself, crushing its own skull in its fatal attempts to make the pounding beat stop. The beast collapses, a small trail of sparkling energy feeding back to Alyanna. A tingle of pleasure runs down her spine as she is rewarded by the fates for fulfilling her curse.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor: Sustain Crown of Stars. Attack hit DB1 for 13 radiant damage (see rolls in OOC).
    Move: Shift 1 square SE.
    Standard: Blast the area that contains the two displacer beasts with Echoing Dirge again. This is a close blast attack targeting 2 enemies in the burst. Attack vs DB1 Will - (1d20+14)[24] Attack vs DB2 Will - (1d20+14)[19], hit does psychic damage - (1d8+7)[15].

Because Aly didn't move far enough, her Shadow Walk concealment drops at the end of her turn.
    Edit: The death of DB1 gives Aly her boon, Fate of the Void, until used or the end of next turn.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2020-07-01 at 10:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Gissel
    AC 22, Fort 19, Ref 16, Will 22|HP: 48/48

"EVIL recoils at the SI-IIGHT, of soldiers of the LIGHT". Steadily and loudly, Gissel joins her comrades fighting the snake-panther. The glow of her holy symbol illuminates the beast, who screams and yowls and tries to shield its eyes, but to no avail. It whips it head around, trying to shake it off, but it remains blinded.

Move, Forced Advantage, Malediction of Blindness on the Displacer (1d20+13)[26], (2d8+7)[23]

Show
    Active effects:

Encounter powers:
    Action Point
    Whispers of Defeat

Thunder of Judgment
    Bloodied Determination
    Dwarven Resilience
    Forced Advantage
    Demand Justice
    Amulet of Life

Daily Powers:
    Silent Malediction
    Malediction of Blindness
    Onatar's Forge
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-07-02 at 12:37 AM.
    Semper ludens.