New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tower of God anime

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Well, Yoru makes total sense as a translation, so SIU probably told them that the main character's name meaning "25th night" was important. And the subtitles still call him Bam.
    I was referring to Hwa Ryun's really weird renaming. It's reminiscent of what 4Kids name butchering.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler: On Shinsu
    Show

Well for one, there are actually liquids that can you breathe in real life, they just are artificial concoctions that most don't ever experience.

and water makes up a lot of things in our world and is incredibly adaptable/shape-able for many different things. its honestly not a bad metaphor for an all-pervading magical force making up everything if one wants to avoid modern scientific concepts like atoms, particles and so on in their explanations. particularly for a series like this where you have to tie it into life in some manner so that you can enhance peoples physical attributes and pull off cool anime stunts like jumping really high.
    The ecology and sociology of the tower are actually pretty cool. My guess would be that shinsoo is some bodily fluid of the floor Guardians.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is there a difference in shinsoo concentration between inner and outer tower? Else, it would not make sense for people from the higher levels just to be regular folks.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    The ecology and sociology of the tower are actually pretty cool. My guess would be that shinsoo is some bodily fluid of the floor Guardians.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is there a difference in shinsoo concentration between inner and outer tower? Else, it would not make sense for people from the higher levels just to be regular folks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea there generally does seem to be a difference, but very little of the outer floors has even been explained.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I have to admit some disappointment; some cuts have to be made to fit the schedule, it seems, but we're losing some of the funniest lines and schemes in episode 7.

Spoiler
    Show
    Endorsi yelling "This is the true power of Jahad!" as she grabs Anaak's foot to drag her off the edge, the elaborate system of pulleys Bam set up so Endorsi couldn't just snatch the food tray from him and the beautiful simplicity of Khun's script; both were pretty dang hilarious in the webtoon. For more plot-relevant stuff, a few more lines dealing with Quant would have helped, I think, spelling out that he's infuriated that the regulars weren't taking him seriously as a Ranker and Shibisu's knowledge of his personality from studying under him wouldn't have been amiss.

Still, personal preference aside, the anime is hitting all the most important points pretty well, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

While I do wish there was more time to savor the moments in Episode 8 and 9 especially, they are closing the gap between episode and chapter progress. I think there's a lot of places to save time in the upcoming chapters too. Episode 10 might cover plot points from the next 9 chapters. There's just a big gap where only a few things stand out in my memory, and that usually marks other material that's likely to be dropped to keep up the pace.

Episode specific stuff: I think they could have introduced the 10 houses stuff earlier, and explained the Position Test better/earlier than they have/do, and on the positive side, the major conflict in episode 9 still works pretty smoothly without explicitly calling the starting area off-limits to the Ranker "it".

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Ep9 and me being pointlessly negative
    Show
    Lines I miss from the webtoon:
    "Let's fight. Just us bad guys..."
    "If we reach the top after stepping over all our friends...then what remains for us at the top?"
    "When people lose the things they cherish, they lose their reason to live."

I don't like the adaptation's choice to have Leroro acting like this is an emergency. Totally doesn't fit the ethos of the floor of test. How many bodies did the test administrators have them climb over to get here already? Even though Leroro wants the tests to be fair while Yu Hansung has other priorities, nobody's expressed any particular desire to protect the regulars' lives before now.
    Spoiler: Webtoon content
    Show
    (Quant is another matter, since his motives are disgust with the betrayers and a desire to get one over on Khun.)

On the other hand, I don't mind dropping the safety zone contrivance. Quant's actions aren't as consistent as in the webtoon, but as long as I assume he's keeping his administrative role in mind and testing Bam, I can accept it enough to move on.