Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge VI: Companion Did Nothing Wrong

This is a really neat (and red) spell! It kind of reminds me of False Orders taken to the extreme. I thought about the different ways to make this card work but its so niche that I couldn't really find a wording that I liked more. Cool card!

Real or Riddled 2R
    Instant R
    Exile the top 5 cards of your library facedown. An opponent can have you add any number of them to your hand. Real or Riddled deals damage equal to the number of cards left in exile to any target.

Another card that has an opponent make choices.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Real or Riddled 2R
    Instant R
    Exile the top 5 cards of your library facedown. An opponent can have you add any number of them to your hand. Real or Riddled deals damage equal to the number of cards left in exile to any target.
    So, I have three big criticisms here:

1) There's really no reason to make this an Instant. Being able to play this whenever adds a little utility to it, but not in a way that makes it much more fun to use or have used on you.

2) The cost is a little low. At either extreme, it's either +5 card advantage or 5 life (a quarter of the way to game) for 3 mana. That's... Kind of ridiculous, really.

3) The choices are hilariously imbalanced. Your opponent has six outcomes; take no damage and give you five cards, take one damage and give you four cards, et cetera. In nearly all circumstances, taking damage is preferable to giving your opponent free card advantage, especially so in a Red deck (that may or may not be chalk-full of burn spells that directly translate to more damage).

Another card that has an opponent make choices.
    Irresistible Bargain 2R
    Sorcery (U)
    Target opponent gains control of one of your Artifacts (their choice). If you lose control of an Artifact this way, create X+1 Treasure tokens, where X equals the Artifact's converted mana cost.
    "Shut up and take my money!"

Challenge! Build me an army worthy of Mordor. (What? I'm strapped for ideas.)
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-10-12 at 06:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd compare it to risk factor or sword point diplomacy instead, which are noticeably better than it, especially in aggro decks. You'd likely burn for 2-3 and get 2-3 lands in your hand on average as once you have the mana to play this, your opponent probably doesn't care much about you having extra land. Maybe in a midrange or landfall deck but then the burn doesn't matter as much.

Edit: Ignore me. As Dr G4H said, I missed the face down mention. Probably still less annoying than Risk Factor but better in some situations and risk factor was very annoying.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-10-13 at 09:03 PM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Tom the Mime, did you read Quiddle's card to say that your opponent could pick which cards to give you? Because it sounds like you think they'll only give you land, but they can't really do that if the cards are face-down.

As for Philip J. Fry, His Fist Outstretched... there are approximately zero ways to play this that wouldn't be improved by just playing an artifact that's good to begin with, so, last pick every time, but the meme value is still nice. I wonder if they could get away with making this as a weird promo card.

March of the Melvins - XXB
    Sorcery - R
    Manifest X target creature cards in graveyards. (Return them to the battlefield face-down under your control. They're 2/2 creatures.)

Challenge! A tower falling over!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-10-13 at 06:32 PM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

Real or Riddled is the worst of 3 mana deal 5 or draw 5. I think 3 mana deal 5 is honestly fine if a touch strong and this card is strictly worse than that.

Thats kind of cool its usually 3 mana for a 2/2 or 5 for 2 2/2s. I like that it has the upside of potentially flipping the cards and the downside that you need cards in the yard. neat design.

Raze the Rich RR
    Instant U
    Destroy target artifact, deal damage equal to that card's converted mana cost to target creature.

Make me a new keyword.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Minor wording issues aside, this looks playable. The only real limitation is that it needs there to be a creature and an artifact on the field at the same time.

Grim Contestant 2GB
    Creature- Human Warrior U
    When Grim Contestant enters the battlefield, it contests another creature. (To contest, each creature deals noncombat damage equal to it's toughness to the other.)
    2/5

(Yes, this is based upon Grim Contest)

Challenge: Amonkhet-style Demigod(s)
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Looks like it works as a card, could be too close to fight as a mechanic but would work better in a control shell so it could be something they could go for.

Tesa the Treacherous 1RU
    Legendary Creature - God M
    Indestructible, flying
    ~ cannot attack or block unless you control 2 or more permanents you don't own
    1RU: Exchange control of two target permanents with the same converted mana cost. Basic lands cannot be targeted with this ability. Activate this ability only when you could cast a sorcery
    5/5

Role reversal ability for a discard and mana seemed too oppressive.

Challenge: Make a giraffe themed card

Edit: Name was from jumbling around the letters of Set, the Egyptian god that seemed to fit best, and adding a vowel . Looking at mtg names, it is a bit too close to Teysa.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-10-14 at 01:30 AM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

First thought: Name sounds too much like Teysa. Are we really running out of possible character names that fast? Second thought: easily and repeatedly exchanging stuff seems dangerous, but that wasn't even the worst part of Oko and he made his own tokens to trade with, so I guess it's probably okay as a gimmick here. Last thought: The gimmick seems very funny and I do like it.

Shane's Giraffe - 3G
    Dovin's thopters seemingly have no means of processing the existence of a giraffe.
    Creature - Beast C
    Reach, Protection from artifacts
    4/3

Plush Giraffe Perturbation - 1RR
    Chandra is excitedly smooshing a plush giraffe against Karn's face. He does not like this.
    Instant - R
    Destroy target artifact or planeswalker.

Challenge! What would a lightsaber do in MtG?
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-10-14 at 01:01 AM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Shane's Giraffe - 3G
    Dovin's thopters seemingly have no means of processing the existence of a giraffe.
    Creature - Beast C
    Reach, Protection from artifacts
    4/3
    *snrk*

Okay, reasonable enough, I suppose. Odd combination of effects, but nothing broken, really.

Plush Giraffe Perturbation - 1RR
    Chandra is excitedly smooshing a plush giraffe against Karn's face. He does not like this.
    Instant - R
    Destroy target artifact or planeswalker.
    Pfthahaha!

Okay, nice. I mean, it's a little cheap for planeswalker removal, but since that seems to be the niche this is meant to fit into, it works fine, I guess.

Challenge! What would a lightsaber do in MtG?
    Sabre Of Light 2[W/R]
    Artifact Equipment (R)
    Equip 2
    Equipped Creature has +1/+1 and Double Strike.
    If the equipped creature would take damage from a creature with First Strike or Double Strike, negate the damage and flip a coin. If tails, return Sabre of Light to your hand.
    "Not again... Master Ben is gonna kill me."

Challenge! Battle droids!
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is pretty hilarious. I love that the lightsabers go flying away every time you cross them. The flavor text really makes this card.

Shield Shifter 3
    [Looks like a droideka but more in the style of esper constructs, maybe it has self loading crossbows idk]
    Artifact Creature - Construct U
    Morph 2
    1, Flip Shied Shifters Facedown: Shield Shifter is indestructible until the end of the turn.
    3/2

Make a card with reach - the keyword or finishes your opponent off.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Funny you should mention Esper constructs. It would have fit nicely to put white mana somewhere in those costs.

Sunhome Sniper - W
    Creature - Human Archer R
    Reach, Vigilance
    W, T: Sunhome Sniper deals 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
    R, T: Sunhome Sniper deals 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature's controller.
    1/2

Challenge! Make a card for a colorless commander deck.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Funny you should mention Esper constructs. It would have fit nicely to put white mana somewhere in those costs.

Sunhome Sniper - W
    Creature - Human Archer R
    Reach, Vigilance
    W, T: Sunhome Sniper deals 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.
    R, T: Sunhome Sniper deals 2 damage to target attacking or blocking creature's controller.
    1/2

Challenge! Make a card for a colorless commander deck.
    This will definitely make combat a bit trickier, especially in multiples, but it seems pretty balanced. Nice card design, overall!

Mana Impairer 2CC
    Creature- Eldrazi (R)
    Menace
    Each spell beyond the first spell cast each turn costs C more to cast.
    3/4

Challenge: Go to Gatherer, Scryfall, or any other card database, hit random card, and make a card with that exact mana cost and type! (So if you hit Serra Angel, you have to make a creature that costs 3WW. Ancestral Recall would be an instant that costs U.)
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-10-24 at 08:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Mana Impairer 2CC
    Creature- Eldrazi (R)
    Menace
    Each spell beyond the first spell cast each turn costs C more to cast.
    3/4
    So, 3/4 for 4 mana is already pretty good, so as a beatstick, it's already a good deal. Throw on Menace, and it's even more so. The mana drain is its only real downside, and even then, it's not a problem in a slow deck. Overall, I'd say it's not a bad pick, but I personally probably wouldn't use it.

Challenge: Go to Gatherer, Scryfall, or any other card database, hit random card, and make a card with that exact mana cost and type! (So if you hit Serra Angel, you have to make a creature that costs 3WW. Ancestral Recall would be an instant that costs U.)
    (Random card was Fireball)

Flask of Ashes XR
    A knight in ash-streaked armor is pouring golden dust from a glowing phial onto his face.
    Sorcery (MR)
    Create X Artifact Flask tokens with "R, Sacrifice this Artifact: Target creature has +0/+1 until the end of the turn".

Challenge! A Disney Villain! (It doesn't have to be anyone specific, just use the tropes.)
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

14. - Top - End - #314
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Bit overcosted for what is a pretty weak combat trick. It's broadcasted and you need to hold mana open for it and it only lets you survive, not take something out.

Question for the card above it as well. Is it for both players as it seems to read? If so, it should really be 1, not C to not be format warping. Otherwise, decks that don't produce C, which is a lot of decks, can be soft locked out by playing any instant before their main phase.

Gaston 2BB
    Creature - Human R
    ~ enters the battlefield with your choice of a menace counter or a first strike counter.
    T: Destroy target creature that shares a keyword ability with ~
    3/3
    No one verbs like Gaston

Make a hero
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-10-25 at 01:09 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

So stat and ability keywords-wise this reminds me most of Grimdancer which is an uncommon costing 1 less. I think that they keyword sniping is a pretty niche ability so this can probably just cost 1BB. Otherwise neat card, I think Gaston is well represented by both menace and first strike.

Banished Prince 1W
    Creature - Human Noble R
    T: Banished Prince fights target creature with a greater converted mana cost than it.
    Banished Prince gets +1/+1 for each creature you control that has died this turn.
    2/3
    "My people will know justice."

Make another trope
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-10-25 at 01:53 AM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: ninja'd
    Show
    I imagine Mana Impairer's intent was along the lines of, 'each spell a given player casts each turn beyond the first,' but now that you point it out I see that there might have been an anti-counterspell angle hiding under there, too. To keep the colorless-favoring intent and avoid the degenerate case, you'd have to word it differently depending on which of those angles you actually care about. Not that there are really any colorless counterspells.

No one verbs like Gaston, no one nouns like Gaston
    No one savagely persecutes clowns like Gaston
    Though those counters, they hardly seem necessary
    Why can you only choose one?

Banished Prince is weird. White doesn't usually get fight as a mechanic, but it does get the Aristocrat-pump angle, so maybe it just needs a splash of Nahiri-red or something to make up the difference. The aristopump is still hard to use, so punching up won't come up as often as you might hope, but perhaps that's what you want from a niche card.

True Scotsman - 1WW
    No true Scotsman would let a ninja change her challenge response.
    Creature - Human Warrior U
    Hexproof from enchantments
    Creatures you control have vigilance and can't be Cowards.
    3/3

Challenge! A small golem!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-10-25 at 02:34 AM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

17. - Top - End - #317

True Scotsman - 1WW
    No true Scotsman would let a ninja change her challenge response.
    Creature - Human Warrior U
    Hexproof from enchantments
    Creatures you control have vigilance and can't be Cowards.
    3/3
    So, Scotsman john here can still be affected by Creature abilities, Sorceries, Instants, and Artifacts? Not much protection, but ok. The Vigilance for all your creatures is a much more compelling feature, what with the extra aggression that enables.

Challenge! A small golem!
    Runic Operating Buddy (R.O.B.) 2
    Legendary Artifact Planeswalker - Golem (R)
    +2: Draw a card and reveal it. If it's an Artifact and you can pay its mana cost, play it immediately (you do not pay the card's mana cost). Otherwise, shuffle it back into the deck.
    +1: Draw a card and reveal it. If it's a Land, play it immediately. Otherwise, shuffle it back into the deck.
    -5: Search your library for a nonartifact, nonland card, reveal it, and add it to your hand.
    "Stop helping me!"

Challenge! More unwanted assistance!
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-10-25 at 02:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

Golem is a creature type not a planeswalker type, I think this card should have a planeswalker type. +2 is strong but needs a little rewording on the language. +1 is pretty strong, the fact that it ramps the land makes this repeatable ramp for 2 which is probably way too good. -5 for a tutor is probably fine but not with a +2 and not for 2 mana. Overall this card seems pushed to me especially for 2 colorless mana. Any amount of top control will quickly allow ROB to bury the opponent in card advantage/ramp.

Blade From Below 1B
    Artifact - Equipment R
    At the beginning of your upkeep put a -1/-1 counter on each creature you control, then put an equal number of curse counters on Blade from Below.
    Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each curse counter on Blade From Below.
    Equip 2

Make a card that uses the word counter in its text box.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

Giving all of your stuff the counters and then needing to pay the equip cost to get those stats back seems really hard to justify. I guess I can imagine a plan where you use this to help mitigate board wipes in Commander or something, but your opponents get a window to use it before you can distribute the counters if they want to stop you.

Filibuster - 1U
    Instant - C
    Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2. If they do, draw a card.

Challenge! Make a creature that helps you with the Party mechanic.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

20. - Top - End - #320

ElfMonkGuy

Filibuster - 1U
    Instant - C
    Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2. If they do, draw a card.

Challenge! Make a creature that helps you with the Party mechanic.
    This is a really nice design. Normally tax counterspells fall off hard later in the game, but this one at least has a way to use it, almost like cycling.

Dungeon Looter 1RR
    Creature- Goblin Rogue (U)
    Whenever one or more creatures you controls deals combat damage to a player, create a Treasure token. If you have a full party, instead, whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to player, create a Treasure token.
    3/2

Challenge: A noncreature card that does something with flying!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-10-28 at 04:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

This rate is probably fine, a 3/2 that makes a treasure on hit is about the right rate for uncommons.

Winged Whispers 1U
    Sorcery U
    Target player mills 3.
    Cipher(Then you may exile this spell encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player you may cast a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost.)
    Creatures encoded with Winged Whispers have flying.

Make a card with Haunt!
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    This rate is probably fine, a 3/2 that makes a treasure on hit is about the right rate for uncommons.

Winged Whispers 1U
    Sorcery U
    Target player mills 3.
    Cipher(Then you may exile this spell encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player you may cast a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost.)
    Creatures encoded with Winged Whispers have flying.

Make a card with Haunt!
    This looks fine. An enchantment that gives flying is generally worth a bit less than a single mana these days, but this is harder to remove, and it has a very suitable up-side for a mill deck. Mill 3 is not good for two mana on its own. Overall, I think the combo makes this a nice card in a deck that can make it work.

Mallek the Eternal 4BB
    Legendary creature - Demon R
    Flying, trample
    haunt (When this spell card is put into a graveyard after resolving, exile it haunting target creature.)
    When the creature ~ haunts dies, return ~ to the battlefield under your control. It gains haste until end of turn.
    6/6

Next challenge: Make a card with Cascade.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

23. - Top - End - #323

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Mallek the Eternal 4BB
    Legendary creature - Demon R
    Flying, trample
    haunt (When this spell card is put into a graveyard after resolving, exile it haunting target creature.)
    When the creature ~ haunts dies, return ~ to the battlefield under your control. It gains haste until end of turn.
    6/6

Next challenge: Make a card with Cascade.
    This is definitely a limited bomb, as a very difficult-to-remove flyer. I don't quite know if this could make the jump into constructed, but its stickiness might make it slightly viable.

Chaos Spark 1RR
    Sorcery (U)
    Cascade
    Chaos Spark deals X damage to target creature or planeswalker, where X is equal to two plus the number of cards exiled from anywhere this turn.

If I read cascade right, this should include the cards exiled as part of its own Cascade.

Challenge: A card with ability counters!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-11-04 at 04:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

It consistently does about 3 damage, draws a card and also plays the card. You did keep it from targeting players, so the silliest combos are out of the picture, which is probably correct. I dare say that that should keep it from getting out of hand at all, even if it is kind of generally powerful.

Graveling - 2BB
    Creature - Zombie Shapeshifter R
    1, exile a creature card from a graveyard: Choose double strike, flying, first strike, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, or trample. If the exiled card had the chosen keyword ability, put a corresponding counter on Graveling.
    4/4

Challenge! Make a rabbit!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-11-06 at 01:10 AM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Graveling - 2BB
    Creature - Zombie Shapeshifter R
    1, exile a creature card from a graveyard: Choose double strike, flying, first strike, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, or trample. If the exiled card had the chosen keyword ability, put a corresponding counter on Graveling.
    4/4
    This is solid. The fact that it can target the enemy graveyard makes it useful as a counter against certain types of decks, and it can eb a serious threat once it pick up a couple of keywords.

Challenge! Make a rabbit!
    Cute Little Rabbit W
    Creature - Rabbit U
    Defender
    Whenever ~ blocks a creature, that creature's controller may pay 2. If they don't, remove the blocked creature from combat.
    "And it was so fluffy too!" -Zorgod the destroyer
    0/1

Next challenge: make a card that deos something when it is blocked or being blocked.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is neat, its like ghostly prison in a 1-drop creature. Cool design; I appreciate the flavor text too.

Remorseful Phantom 1B
    Creature - Spirit U
    When attacks and isn't block each player mills 4 cards
    Afflict 3 (Whenever this creature becomes blocked, defending player loses 1 life.)
    0/5

Make a card with afflict, dredge, scavenge, or buyback. Or make a card that has long hair, or a card with dead trees.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-11-07 at 12:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Phantom is interesting. It's versatile, but its utility is largely in the hands of your opponent. If they're worried about the mill, they block. If they're more worried about damage, they don't. If they have 5 power of creatures total... well, then you were probably leaving this back to block some of them anyway, so that part kind of works out.

Loam Dryad - 2G
    Creature - Dryad U
    Loam Dryad can't be blocked if defending player has a land card in their graveyard.
    Dredge 2 (While this card is in your graveyard, if you would draw a card, you may instead mill 2 cards. If you do, return this card to your hand. Otherwise, draw a card.)
    When Loam Dryad leaves your graveyard, each opponent mills 2 cards. (They each put the top 2 cards of their library into their graveyard.)
    3/2

Challenge! Beards!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-11-07 at 03:39 PM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

28. - Top - End - #328

ElfMonkGuy

Loam Dryad - 2G
    Creature - Dryad U
    Loam Dryad can't be blocked if defending player has a land card in their graveyard.
    Dredge 2 (While this card is in your graveyard, if you would draw a card, you may instead mill 2 cards. If you do, return this card to your hand. Otherwise, draw a card.)
    When Loam Dryad leaves your graveyard, each opponent mills 2 cards. (They each put the top 2 cards of their library into their graveyard.)
    3/2

Challenge! Beards!
    This seems weird in mono-green. Green doesn't get unblockable by itself, though that particular condition doesn't seem to have been done before. It also doesn't get mill, Binding of the Titans aside (and Maro said that was only a bend because it affected everyone. Green can occasionally get self-mill, but only milling opponents would be an outright break) And Dredge is one of the most broken mechanics ever, though Dredge 2 shouldn't be too bad. Being an evasive threat you can never get rid of is pretty intimidating. Still, I think this would be better as a Golgari or maybe even Sultai card.

Bearded Axe 1
    Equipment- Artifact (C)
    Equipped creature gets +2/+0. If it's a Dwarf, instead it gets +2/+2.
    Equip 2

Challenge: A saga!