Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge VI: Companion Did Nothing Wrong

[Azorius Flyers Flashbacks Intensifies]

Go Overboard RRR!
    Sorcery - R
    (Merfolk are attacking a ramshackle ship; above, two pirates are seen throwing overboard treasure, boxes, cannons, goblins, humans, the kitchenware, the kitchen sink...)

Copy R
    Sacrifice an artifact or creature - target creature you control gains +1/+0 and Trample until end of turn and a cumulative +1/+0 more for each time this spell was copied. A creature cannot be affected by multiple instances of this spell in the same turn.

'Boy, you really went overboar-'
    'Shut. Up.'
    - First Mate Flew and Captain Chuck, Storm Fleet Records

(Yes, the exclamation mark is mandatory.)

Challenge - Make a killer Christmas Tree!
    Last edited by +5 Vorpal Bunny; 2020-12-15 at 08:40 AM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think this would be simpler as XRRR, spend only red mana to pay for X, X+1 target creatures get +x+1/+0 and trample but if you want to copy it then you should use the keyword replicate.

Pine Needler 1GG
    Creature - Treefolk U
    When Pine Needler attacks creatures you control gain "When this creature becomes blocked it deals 1 damage to each creature blocking it." until the end of the turn.
    3/3

Make a card that has something to do with candles or dreidels
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

How are all of your other creatures getting pine needles? That seems uncomfortable and unnecessary. I'd be super into this if it just had the ability for itself. I'd like to see it at common, even.

WAIT NO DON'T JUST COMBINE THEM - 2
    Artifact - C
    1: Until end of turn, Fire Spinner becomes a 1/3 artifact creature with, "R: Fire Spinner gets +1/+0 until end of turn."

Challenge! Make too much noise!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-12-15 at 09:31 PM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy, Yondalla.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

This can become nasty fast in token decks. Yes, I'm looking at you, Selesnya.

Everspin Dreidel RW
    (In the midst of a festive party, a child is seen with a clearly amazed face as a small, seemingly plain white dreidel spins away from him; it creates small circular red streaks as it weaves through the room, people cheering as they watch it spin.)
    Artifact Creature - Toy U
    Haste, Vigilance
    2/2

'I don't think dreidels are supposed to do that...'
    'Haha dreidel go brrr!'
    - An afterparty conversation between a father and his child

Make a card based around giving gifts that benefits you when an opponent gains control of a permanent you own.

Edit: Swordsaged. I won't make a habit of this, but I'd like to make sure Gun's post is responded to, so here goes:

Rakdos Rocker RRBB
    (A disjointed mess of metallic machine parts and flaming demon limbs, covered in blood and obviously EVVVVIL-looking red runes screams while playing a flaming skulled guitar. The picture is purposefully distorted from the sound; the theatre is clearly shaking apart as people literally explode from the sound, but at least they're having fun!)
    Creature - Demon Machine Musician (R)
    2/2

When you cast an instant or sorcery spell that is Black or Red, choose one:
    Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
    Deal 2 damage to target player or planeswalker.
    Sacrifice this creature: Apply both effects.

'So metal.'
    - Rakdos the Showstopper
    Last edited by +5 Vorpal Bunny; 2020-12-15 at 11:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by +5 Vorpal Bunny View Post
    This can become nasty fast in token decks. Yes, I'm looking at you, Selesnya.

Everspin Dreidel RW
    (In the midst of a festive party, a child is seen with a clearly amazed face as a small, seemingly plain white dreidel spins away from him; it creates small circular red streaks as it weaves through the room, people cheering as they watch it spin.)
    Artifact Creature - Toy U
    Haste, Vigilance
    2/2

'I don't think dreidels are supposed to do that...'
    'Haha dreidel go brrr!'
    - An afterparty conversation between a father and his child

Rakdos Rocker RRBB
    (A disjointed mess of metallic machine parts and flaming demon limbs, covered in blood and obviously EVVVVIL-looking red runes screams while playing a flaming skulled guitar. The picture is purposefully distorted from the sound; the theatre is clearly shaking apart as people literally explode from the sound, but at least they're having fun!)
    Creature - Demon Machine Musician (R)
    2/2

When you cast an instant or sorcery spell that is Black or Red, choose one:
    Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
    Deal 2 damage to target player or planeswalker.
    Sacrifice this creature: Apply both effects.

'So metal.'
    - Rakdos the Showstopper
    For the Dreidel: Cerodon Yearling, what did they do to you? You're more machine than beast now!
    For the Rakdos Rocker, I really like this design. It might be a bit on the strong side, since your kill spells can now potentially two for one, but Rakdos spellslingers sounds like an interesting control deck. The only potential issue is with the last ability being a bit unclear; can you sacrifice it on its own to do both effects, or do you have to have casted a red/black spell and triggered its effect?

Rajah's Gift 2WW
    Creature- Elephant (U)
    When Rajah's Gift enters the battlefield, target opponent gains control of it and puts a gift counter on it.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, if Rajah's Gift has a gift counter on it, pay 2. If you can't, remove a gift counter from Rajah's Gift and its owner gains control of it.
    4/4

Challenge: A card with Foretell or Boast!

6. - Top - End - #336
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    For the Dreidel: Cerodon Yearling, what did they do to you? You're more machine than beast now!
    For the Rakdos Rocker, I really like this design. It might be a bit on the strong side, since your kill spells can now potentially two for one, but Rakdos spellslingers sounds like an interesting control deck. The only potential issue is with the last ability being a bit unclear; can you sacrifice it on its own to do both effects, or do you have to have casted a red/black spell and triggered its effect?

Rajah's Gift 2WW
    Creature- Elephant (U)
    When Rajah's Gift enters the battlefield, target opponent gains control of it and puts a gift counter on it.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, if Rajah's Gift has a gift counter on it, pay 2. If you can't, remove a gift counter from Rajah's Gift and its owner gains control of it.
    4/4

Challenge: A card with Foretell or Boast!
    So given that it isn't an option, it's basically giving your opponent a 4/4 creature in exchange for a 2 mana speed bump while it's there. So it looks like it's designed to be a sideboard card for white weenies against control decks because attacking through it if it can chump block and kill itself is pointless and giving aggro decks a free 4/4 and a turn where you do nothing else is basically suicide and not much better against midrange. I think it should have hexproof as well though, as pacifism effects feel as if they would take it too far.

Goblin Whelp R
    Creature - Goblin R
    Boast XRR - Search your library for a goblin card with converted mana cost X. You may put it onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
    My big brother is gonna beat you up

Challenge: A tribal equipment
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Boast is a problem here in that you're not necessarily going to be in combat when you use it. What happens to the goblin you search for if you use this during your post-combat main phase? Did you really mean to use this after blockers are declared to make the tutored creature unblockable?

A Sword for Dogs - 1
    Artifact - Equipment U
    Equipped creature gets +2/+1 if it is a Dog.
    2: Equipped creature is a Dog until end of turn.
    Equip 1

Challenge! Retrieve something from the bottom of the ocean.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is kind of neat, I would love to see it for a type that had strong synergies like slivers.

Sightless Dweller UB
    Creature - Fish U
    T: Exile your graveyard. If at least one card was exiled this way, gain 2 life. If at least three cards were exiled this way, create a treasure token. If at least six cards were exiled this way, draw a card.
    1/3

Make another fish or a card that has a very long neck.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Sightless Dweller UB
    Creature - Fish U
    T: Exile your graveyard. If at least one card was exiled this way, gain 2 life. If at least three cards were exiled this way, create a treasure token. If at least six cards were exiled this way, draw a card.
    1/3
    This is... bizarre. Exiling your graveyard is a steep cost, and it only gets steeper as the effects "escalate". One mana to be used whenever isn't worth three other cards, and one for six is a bad deal regardless. This is also just a strange series of effects to stack, which makes the intended functionality ambiguous. It might work better if you could choose which cards to exile from your graveyard (and therefore how many), but as it stands it's too clunky to be useful.

Make another fish or a card that has a very long neck.
    Deep Lurker B2
    Creature - Fish Horror (U)
    During your End step, place a time counter on Deep Lurker. If Deep Lurker has 3 time counters on it, destroy target nonartifact nonflying creature, then return Deep Lurker to your hand.
    2/2
    There are many reasons to fear the open ocean. Drowning is one of the lesser ones.

Challenge! Something else with a delayed effect.

(V: Eh, it's more that it retreats back into deep water after feeding, and it won't snack on anything it can't digest. It still gets a little weird when it munches on a fifty foot Wurm that's presumably half-buried in dirt nowhere near the ocean, but there you go.)
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-01-22 at 02:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

I think I get what it's doing: it stays underwater playing the theme from Jaws for three turns and then jumps out and snags its prey. Except somehow it's able to attack and block while it's hiding. Also I guess it jumps so high that it ends up back in your hand, but flying creatures hang out even higher than that? Also it's not big enough to take out a vehicle such as a boat but IS big enough to take out a dinosaur? I'm left with the feeling of an adorable little monster who talks a big game but doesn't always get there.

Provincial Surveyor - W
    Creature - Human Scout R
    At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control exactly 2 lands, you may search your library for a basic plains, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
    1/2

Challenge! Gust of wind!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

This seems rather weak to me. Maybe theres shenanigans you can pull with staying on 2 lands and discarding the plains to another effect but unlikely since it has to be a basic. The floor is a 1 mana 1/2 and the ceiling is draw a plains idk.

Hindering Aetherwinds 1UU
    Instant R
    Exile any number of attacking creatures. Put two time counters on them, they gain suspend.

Next give me an evil mana rock or an enchantment that represents how you are doing lately .
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342

Hindering Aetherwinds 1UU
    Instant R
    Exile any number of attacking creatures. Put two time counters on them, they gain suspend.
    Solid protection and interference for a reasonable mana cost. The only downside I can see is that since it has to be protection, it can't easily clear away utility creatures (which I'm sure was the intent and is a good drawback for it to have).

Next give me an evil mana rock or an enchantment that represents how you are doing lately .
    Festival of Renewal R2
    Enchantment (R)
    During your Upkeep step, you may flip a coin. If it lands on heads, draw two cards and gain 5 life. If it lands on tails, you lose the game.
    Let's hope the celebration isn't premature.

Challenge: call shotgun!
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-01-22 at 08:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Festival of Renewal R2
    Enchantment (R)
    During your Upkeep step, you may flip a coin. If it lands on heads, draw two cards and gain 5 life. If it lands on tails, you lose the game.
    Let's hope the celebration isn't premature.

Challenge: call shotgun!
    This is a bad card design. First, red doesn't normally get life gain. Second, five life and two cards is not something anyone but the desperate would gamble against losing the game. As it has no other abilities, all it would do is just sit there increasing the enchantment count (which red doesn't typically care about) and the devotion to red count. Which could be done with something else entirely. Third, while the may trigger does allow you to say "No, I don't feel like making a dangerous gamble today;" it also prevents you from giving it to your opponent to try and kill them that way.

Shotgun! 1R
    Sorcery- U
    Target creature you control gets haste until end of turn. Up to one target vehicle you control becomes a creature and gains haste until end of turn.

Challenge: Something with Last Strike.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting... as a limited pick, I think it's a trap, but it's a very well-designed trap. It gives up the opportunity to animate your vehicle on an otherwise-empty board; if your deck is functional to begin with, then the creature you target with this could probably have crewed the vehicle already even if it was summoning sick. Even if you live the dream and swing with a 7/11 and an ornithopter on turn 2, you're spending three cards for one attack. Yet, it's still so fun to imagine that I want to make that deck anyway.

Ghalta the Old, Blind and Drooling 5GG
    Legendary Creature - Dinosaur MR
    Last Strike, Trample
    The first time this creature becomes the target if a spell or ability this turn, counter that spell or ability and this creature loses Last Strike until end of turn.
    11/11

Challenge! A very tall hat!

15. - Top - End - #345
    Dwarf in the Playground

This doesn't feel very "mythic rare" to me. Its got a version of the Kira effect on it which says to me that it might want a blue splash idk.

Spying Headtower 2
    [a spy is wearing a tall top hat, at the top a spyglass pokes out, at the bottom theres a looking thing that runs in the hat to the top part]
    Artifact - Equipment Hat U
    Equip 1U
    Whenever equipped creature attacks draw a card.
    Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and "U: Remove this attacking creature from combat."

Make me a card that us good against an Uro deck.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346

ElfMonkGuy

Spying Headtower 2
    [a spy is wearing a tall top hat, at the top a spyglass pokes out, at the bottom theres a looking thing that runs in the hat to the top part]
    Artifact - Equipment Hat U
    Equip 1U
    Whenever equipped creature attacks draw a card.
    Equipped creature gets +1/+0 and "U: Remove this attacking creature from combat."

Make me a card that us good against an Uro deck.
    This is a neat card. Getting an extra draw each turn at the cost of attacking with a creature and maybe paying 1 mana is pretty good. I could see this being a solid playable in limited.

Priest of Bounty 1WW
    Creature- Human Cleric (U)
    Whenever an opponent gains life, you gain 2 life.
    Whenever an opponent draws one or more cards except the first card they draw each turn, draw a card.
    Whenever one or more lands enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, if it was not the first land to enter the battlefield under their control this turn, you may put a land from your hand onto the battlefield.
    "The harvest is meant to be shared."
    3/3

Challenge: A card with X in its mana cost!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2021-02-09 at 07:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

Despite the obvious parallels, it doesn't really feel like a specific counter to Uro, but that much is probably for the best. It gives mono-white a big boost in commander; it would practically be mandatory in any deck that can play it, and you made it generic enough to make that possible thematically. I do like the idea of me-too card draw and catch-up ramp, though, and there isn't much of that around besides Smothering Tithe, so maybe it actually needs that boost.

Rush of Revolution - XXRR
    Sorcery - U
    Untap X target creatures and gain control of them until end of turn. They gain haste until end of turn.

Challenge! Something to do after the spell you cast gets countered.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

A very powerful effect but well costed, over paying for a single creature and neatly playing double for two. I think this is a nice uncommon.

Unwinding Mage UU
    Creature - Merfolk Wizard R
    Flash
    When Unwinding Mage enters the battlefield you may pay 2 to return target spell to its owner's hand, otherwise return target spell you own to its owner's hand.
    2/1

Make a card with split second or with cascade or with soulshift.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Interesting in the normal version being able to bounce one of your spells if it's being countered and the kicked version giving tempo. It's more versatile than other options for both its roles in a flash deck, either a cheap flash 2 drop or a soft counter 4 drop (bouncing one of your countered spells doesn't fit well as a 2 drop given you would've cast the other spell so you need more mana) but much weaker in either of those positions than something like merfolk trickster or frilled mystic. I like the idea though

Goblin Gossip 1R
    Creature - Goblin U
    Split Second, Cascade
    3/3

Stronger creature for the mana cost at the cost of revealing cards until you find a 1 drop. Combining the keywords isn't the cleanest way to get the effect though.

Challenge: non-black graveyard interaction
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

It took me a while to figure out how the cascade is anything but impossibly strong, tutoring for your only 1-drop for free. At least it doesn't do that, but as you've already said it's a pretty obtuse way of doing things, and it's still incidentally uncounterable. Just revealing cards isn't really a drawback, either - your opponent already knows you're playing aggro goblins.

Mad Goblin - R
    Creature - Goblin Berserker R
    Haste
    Exile 5 Goblin cards from your graveyard: Mad Goblin gets +5/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
    -
    "Huh? Oh, yeah, I guess that'll avenge my cousin. What was their name again?"
    1/1

Challenge! A zoo animal.

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Mad Goblin - R
    Creature - Goblin Berserker R
    Haste
    Exile 5 Goblin cards from your graveyard: Mad Goblin gets +5/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
    -
    "Huh? Oh, yeah, I guess that'll avenge my cousin. What was their name again?"
    1/1
    This seems unneccesarily costly. Five exiled cards is a steep cost for most effects, and turning a chump into a one-time burn effect (it attacks, gets blocked by anything, does some damage, and dies horribly) is a little too trivial an effect to consider. And it gives away the game if it comes out too early.

Challenge! A zoo animal.
    Caged Tigerbear 2R
    Creature - Bear Tiger (U)
    Caged Tigerbear enters the field tapped.
    >Pay RR: If Caged Beartiger does not have Trample, untap it and place a Trample counter on it.
    "Great. Now all we need is a lion."
    4/4

Challenge! Tear down a wall!
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

22. - Top - End - #352

GnomeWizardGuy

Wording seams a bit weird but I am not sure how I would word that effect. Other than that it seams about right for what is effectively a 5 mana uncommon. If it wasn't for the ability to split the cost over 2 turns I would say it is underpowered

Wall Smasher 1R
    Artifact Creature - R
    T,XR: Deal 2X damage to target creature with defender
    0/3

Challenge: Create a tribal artifact