Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default MtG: YMTC challenge VI: Companion Did Nothing Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Warmatt View Post
    Rather than having a weekly contest with many entries and judging and a winner being declared who makes the next contest, instead everyone is a contestant, a judge, and the creator of the next contest all at once!

Each post should contain a short critique of the card made by the poster before them, a card that meets the challenge posted by the poster before them, and a new challenge for the next poster to take on.

Other contests:
    You Make the Card
    You Make the Mini-Set!

There is no time limit on when a challenge can be met, and no restriction on how often you can post other than that you can't fulfill your own challenges. If two people respond to the same challenge, the next poster simply picks which of those to judge and meet the challenge of, though if you're up to it you could also try fulfilling both challenges at the same time, assuming that's possible.

As with the other challenges, cards should be submitted in text format, like so:

Card Name Mana Cost
    Type - Subtype Rarity
    Card Text
    Flavor Text
    Power/Toughness

For example:

Giant Spider 3G
    Creature - Spider C
    Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
    "It has a quickness about it that seems unnatural for its large size, yet its hunger is about right."
    —Endril, Kalonian naturalist

2/4

Spoiler: Purple and Idols FAQ, By Jorm
    Show
    Who are You and What did You do to Magic?

We're here to have fun, and having fun includes randomly making new subtypes and/or colours. The reason that this is here is that people keep on asking what they are and how they're supposed to work with them. Idols were designed originally by Fifth Column Games in their game War of Omens, and Purple was due to show up in Planar Chaos but never did. I grabbed both of these into Magic as it currently stands, and some people picked up on them.

This FAQ is to explain what exactly happens when someone's talking about "Purple" or something has the "Idol" subtype without you having a clue what that means.

Idols are probably something that Wizards can do - the idea is similar to Shrines, which happened - but purple is right up there with half-values on the Storm scale, and only half a point down from the eponymous defunct keyword. Challenges which require idols should be fine, but challenges shouldn't require purple, or at least should offer a let-out if you don't like it.

Idols and purple have their own sets and backstory which feature in some of the explanations below.

What's an Idol?

Styx Idol by Aisu Isme

An idol is one of many shrines, icons or holy objects (including weapons and animated constructs) that fell from the Otherworld due to the actions of Speaker Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan. They are all spiritually interlinked, and a prayer to one would call out to all nearby.

Mechanically, an idol has the following characteristics (These are the defining characteristics, these are more mutable):

• It is an ARTIFACT with the IDOL subtype.
    • It is COLOURLESS but uses COLORED mana for its ACTIVATED ABILTITY.
    • It has "CCT: Energise each idol you control," where C are coloured mana. They may both be the same colours or different colours; they might be purple.
    • It has "When you energise ~, do something."
    • It might be a creature, equipment or fortification.

For example:

Idol of Life 1
    Artifact - Idol C
    WWT: Energise each idol you control.
    When you energise idol of life, you gain 2 life.

What About purple?

Purple by Edux

There was, originally, going to be a set with purple in it, which represented a sort of otherworldly, unnatural force. This never actually ended up happening, but the idea stuck with me. The basic land for purple was either going to be cave or city; I chose city, as it fit with Purple's unnatural, and yet all too close to home, theme.

Purple is the third colour of mana, after blue but before black - the new order is WUPBRG. The basic land for purple is City. Cities are basic lands but city isn't a basic land type; purple is a colour but purple isn't one of The Colours Of Magic. This means the following (Coalition Victory and Transguild Courier are the more interesting ones, the others act the same way they would with white)

All is Dust: Destroys purple permanents.
    Alloy Golem: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response and the golem can become purple.
    Brave the Elements: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response. "Protection from purple" is a valid ability.
    Coalition Victory: Checks to see if you control a plains, an island, a swamp, a mountain, a forest, a white creature, a blue creature, a black creature, a red creature and a green creature. It doesn't care whether or not you have a city or a purple creature. If you have a red and purple creature, Coalition Victory sees a red creature. If you have a swamp city, it registers as a swamp.
    Emrakul, the Aeons Torn: Has protection from purple permanents.
    Transguild Courier: Isn't purple. It would need to say "All colours, and purple." I know that doesn't sound as though it makes sense, but it does.

What is Purple as a Personality Type?

Purple Rain by Joe Maccer

My colour is purple. I value individuality and thought, I value justice and personal benefit, I value natural and mechanical. I take what I see as the best aspects of the world out of their context, and live it to the full, but also stand by my own way of thinking with utter disregard for the opinions of others. At my best, I am innovative and a maverick. At my worst, I am debased and an outcast. Nominally, my ally colours are blue and black, and my enemy colours are green and, to a lesser extent white and red, but in reality, I could be anyone's ally and my own worst enemy.

I am purple and white. I value personal discipline and excellence. I am a natural-born leader, and work to defeat tyrannical rulers and follow my dreams, helping others whenever I can. At my best, I am charitable and inspiring. At my worst, I am proselytising and over-zealous.

I am purple and blue. I enjoy escaping to my own company and thinking about the things of this world. I am so much better at considering things I can't see than other people that sometimes people ask whether or not I am real. At my best, I am intellectual and honest. At my worst, I am pedantic and unrealistic.

I am purple and black. I am an individualist to the extreme, believing my way of doing things to be objectively correct. I get things done at an alarming rate, ignoring anyone who thinks they know better than me. At my best, I am efficient and self-sufficient. At my worst I am over-proud and egocentric.

I am purple and red. I am loud and boisterous, and prepared to go with any scheme even without support. I am usually maniacal about something, and love being free from what the rest of the world things. At my best I am independent and confident. At my worst I am destructive and hot-headed.

I am purple and green. I can lose myself in the wilds easily, and much prefer the company of the outdoors to the company of humans, though I'm not averse to taking very close friends along with me. At my best I am carefree and impassive, at my worst I am reserved and distant.

What does Purple do Mechanically? What About the Colour Combinations?

Purple does quite a lot of things, actually!

The Cards are Made Up and the Rules Don't Matter

Keep Calm and Screw the Rules by Slamtackle

"This card has flying!" "No it doesn't." "You can't bring cards back from exile!" "Oh yes I can!" "Wait, it's a sorcery and a planeswalker at the same time?" "Well, no, not the same time. It's a flip card." "EXILE TARGET LIBRARY?" "Teehee~"

There are lots of things that don't happen in magic. Things don't move about between permanent and non-permanent. Things don't eat up people's abilities like cotton candy. You don't exile entire libraries. But then, whoever heard of "Protection from everything" or a spell that repeats itself each upkeep but nigh-on bans you from playing the game? Well, Progenitus and Epic would like to say hi. Strange corners of Magic which could be visited but aren't suddenly see the light. Be inspired!

Examples:

Quijuk Acolyte 1WP
    Creature - Human wizard R
    1WPT, exile Quijuk Acolyte: Revivify target card. (Return a card in exile to your hand)
    1/2

Quijuk Tranquil W/P
    Creature - Human Monk C
    Silenced (Quijuk Tranquil loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced).
    People say they have no emotions. All we know is that they're the ones the Quijuk allow to leave, and they're the ones who've never wanted to return.

1/1

Card Wars: The Johnny Strikes Back

Throw Your Cards Down by Tempasta

"So then I play Crescendo, but because I cast another spell this turn, it does four damage instead of two but because I have a card with Flamestorm 1 that does another 1 damage, and it triggers Perpetual Motion so I draw a card, and then I cast Otherworld Lance, but I have a card with Accelerate so I only pay RP for it, and it does another point of damage, then I draw another card. I use Dust to Dust, draw another card with Perpetual Motion, and that exiles my graveyard, which means I use Otherworld Lance's Otherworlder cost to cast it again from exile, which does an extra point of damage from having Flamestorm, and Perpetual Motion draws another card. Okay, now it's your turn."

No-one does weenie instants or sorceries with much conviction, because they have to cantrip, and most of weenie effectiveness relies on synergy and anthems, which don't work as well with non-permanents. Solution: Have anthems which affect the spells that you cast, and have spells which synergise with other spell casts, in a sort of storm-esque way without bringing back Storm itself.

Examples:
    Perpetual Motion 4UP
    Enchantment - R
    When you cast a spell, draw a card.

Waize Flameholder 2PR
    Creature - Human Mage U
    Flamestorm 1 (When a source you control would deal non-combat damage, it deals 1 more damage)
    3/3

Crescendo 1PR
    Sorcery U
    Crescendo deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
    Second Wind - Crescendo deals 4 damage to that creature or player instead if you've cast another spell this turn.

Exile!

The Exile by Lostknightkg

The exile zone is meant to be a kind of super-graveyard for cards that never come back. AWOL highlights what happened to that idea. Now, purple capitalises on the exile zone, chucking entire graveyards in and pulling them back onto the battlefield with reckless abandon.

Examples:

Otherworldly Power 4PP
    Sorcery - R
    Otherworldly power deals X damage divided as you wish between any number of creatures and players and you gain X life, where X is the number of cards in exile.
    They may be in a better place, but they are no worse magi for that.

Void Dance 1P
    Sorcery - U
    Exile any number of target permanents you own.
    What was ours once will be ours forever.

Seek and Destroy P
    Sorcery - C
    Draw a card.
    Search your library for a card and exile it. Then shuffle your library.
    To the Otherworld! Go!

Guild Abilities

Purgators P
    Mechanics: Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature dies, exile it), Otherworlder {Cost} (If this card is in exile, you may cast it for {Cost})

House Quijuk WP
    Mechanics: Silenced (This permanent loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced), Revivify (Return target card from exile to your hand)

House Kasstar UP
    Mechanics: Warpstrike {cost} (When ~ becomes blocked you may pay {cost}. If you do, exile ~ and return it to the battlefield under your control, tapped and attacking.), Shift (Whenever ~ is targeted you may return it to your hand and put another creature with the same or lower converted mana cost onto the battlefield which then becomes the target instead. That card cannot Shift this turn.)

House Zelb PB
    Mechanics: Isolation (Spells and abilities which effect "all" or "each" do not effect this card),
    Outcast (Permanents with outcast cannot be exiled)

House Waize PR
    Mechanics: Flamestorm X (When a spell you control would deal noncombat damage, it deals X more instead), Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, do X.

House Gidai PG
    Mechanics: Lock In (Target a card and remember what card it is); Paragon If X has the highest power among creatures you control, [effect].

Clan Trostan WPR
    Mechanics: Standalone - If you control no (other) creatures, [effect]; Substitute - If there are no valid targets/you can't/no Xs are Yed in this way, [effect].

Veldan UPB
    Mechanics: Conversion {Cost} (Cost, reveal ~ from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~. If applicable, X is equal to the CMC of that spell); One Eye Open - When you draw a card, do X.

What's the Story Behind These Anyway?

Until recently, nobody had ever heard of Purple mana. How could a city, a congregation of humans who utterly destroy the land on which they live without reverence or care, be a source of mana? And yet, it was this very same left-fieldness, the selfsame strangeness, that led Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan, to be able to draw mana from it. She realised that the power of mana on Veldan was being channeled through the creations of the people themselves.

However, Trianna's meddling did not go without consequence. Transplanar Rifts, which allowed anyone or anything to travel through, came between any plane that Trianna had visited and the planes where purple mana was more easily accessible. These rifts appeared first around the places of power, the idols, which were sucked through into the realms she had visited.

And so idols began to appear in Innistrad, Ravinica, Tarkir and Veldan. Preachers stood at the strange structures, praying for a miracle that would deliver them from their enemies. Guilds harnessed the idols' powers to wage war on another front. Clans guarded the idols as though they were sacred. And Trianna put her head in her hands and moaned.

It got worse. The purple guilds wanted their idols back. The Quijuk, responsible for ensuring morals more than law, tried to steal back their idols with minimal loss of life. The quiet and reserved Kasstar, known for their eminent dishonour, took similar tactics, while the psychotic sociopaths of house Zelb killed anyone who got in their way, where as the enraged and flagrant house Waize burned entire buildings to get what they wanted. The Gidai, masters of the hunt, assassinated anyone and everyone to return the idols of the gods. Ravinica was under assault and half of them didn't even know it.

More obvious were the Trostan clan, who ravaged across the wastes of Tarkir defying any and all to oppose them. Purgators, strange mockeries of what it means to be a free being, fought with angel and demon alike across Innistrad. And then, Trianna decided to move in, just to add to the confusion. Nobody was quite sure who was fighting whom, but Trianna was determined to stop them.

Are There Going to be Sets for These?
    Yes.

I have no idea what I'm actually calling these, but they get development codenames because they do. Yes, I might actually write them all up because I'm that crazy.

Yellow: In which idols are introduced - artifact themed set. Details the story of the idols appearing; limited purple in the form of mono-purple as Purgators invade Innistrad.
    Magenta: In which purple people invade Ravinica. Lots of use of guild abilities.
    Cyan: Where Trostan and Veldan lay their scene. Involves three-colour purple, and lots of things cantrip or cause each other to cantrip. (Might keyword cantrip?)

The idea of the set is "Playing Magic in a different way" - Artifact decks and Everything is Cantrips allow you to take a break from creatures and makes card advantage odd, Trostan's change-the-mana-cost abilities radically change the game dynamic, and purple is... well, purple!

Note that you do not have to, and in fact should not, make challenges with Purple. If you do decide to (or challenge with any other non-official mechanic), it is a good idea to make another option. For example, you could say "Make a purple card, or make a card that interacts with exile".

And to the challenge:

Overall, a nice Boros card, particularly as it meshes well with Battalion, that loveable Boros mechanic that encourages mass attacks! Or, one that can combine with some of the very nice tap effects from both white and red.

Defensive Ground
    Artifact Land UC
    As long as ~ is Fortified, token creatures you control have +1/+3
    T- Add W to your Mana pool
    "The land itself was almost a fortress already. A little extra work, and nothing would drive them out."

Next challenge; A Fortification! Sure, it was only ever on one card, but why not more!
    Spoiler: from last thread: Dr.Gunsforhands
    Show

Antler Aegis - 2G
    Enchantment - Aura C
    Enchant Creature
    Enchanted creature gets +2/+2. As long as it's tapped, it has hexproof.

Challenge! Make the new thread, and make a card based on the thread title you choose?

This is a neat card! I like how it encourages attacking and plays with hexproof in a way that allows for shield down moments.

Master of the Pack 2GG
    Legendary Creature - Human Scout MR
    Companion — Each non-land card in your starting deck has been printed in the same set. (If this card is your chosen companion, you may cast it once from outside the game.)

Tap three creatures you control: deal damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the total power of all creatures tapped this way.
    3/3

I think companions as an idea are probably ok but the ones they printed are not. They need to have stronger building restrictions!

Make a card with a pun!
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-04-22 at 02:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge VI: Companion Did Nothing Wrong

I feel like repeatable removal at that price, even with tapping is probably too good. If it was sorcery speed, it might help so that you couldn't just do it with any blockers or as an additional combat trick. Would probably never be used as a companion in constructed as the downside rules out too many good cards but probably too good in limited because you automatically fit the limitation. Not a fan of them making companion in general given how samey they make a lot of games given they've previously stated that's something they generally want to avoid but that's not this cards fault.

Tap that Ass (1/2)WG
    Sorcery U (Un)
    Tap target donkey you control. Create X 2(1/2)/2(1/2) white and green donkey creature tokens where X is equal to its toughness, rounded down.

Works on multiple levels

Challenge: speaking of multiple levels, use the level up mechanic
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-04-22 at 05:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Tap that Ass (1/2)WG
    Sorcery U (Un)
    Tap target donkey you control. Create X 2(1/2)/2(1/2) white and green donkey creature tokens where X is equal to its toughness, rounded down.

Works on multiple levels

Challenge: speaking of multiple levels, use the level up mechanic
    This seems potentially really powerful. Getting two 2/2s for (basically) three mana is a great rate, and if there's any donkeys with more than two toughness, this is just bonkers. Being a dead card on an empty field hurts, but I don't think it's enough to make up for its power if you do have any donkeys.

Partners in Crime 2B
    Creature- Human Rogue (U)
    3/2
    Level Up 1B
    Level 1-2: Menace, 4/3
    Level 3: Menace, deathtouch, 5/4

Challenge: A card that cares about counters on your opponent's cards!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-04-22 at 06:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

(Just posting to subscribe)
    Avatar by @CultistKitten on Twitter

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Partners in Crime 2B
    Creature- Human Rogue (U)
    3/2
    Level Up 1B
    Level 1-2: Menace, 4/3
    Level 3: Menace, deathtouch, 5/4
    Seems fair enough, for the most part, but I'm not familiar enough with leveling to say for sure. That being said, the combination of deathtouch and menace seems sort of at odds with the flavor; this card works better as a blocker than a striker, which is sort of weird for a pair of rogues.

Challenge: A card that cares about counters on your opponent's cards!
    Dream Thief 2[B/U]
    Creature - Demon Spirit (R)
    Dream Thief does not gain power or toughness from +1/+1 counters.
    >[T]: Transfer all +1/+1 counters from target tapped creature to Dream Thief.
    >[T, remove X +1/+1 counters from Dream Thief]: Draw a card. If it's a creature with a converted mana cost less than X, place it onto the field, tapped.
    3/2

Challenge: Make something less annoying than this card.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

At the very least, it's effectively a 3/2 for 3 that taps to draw a card, which is a lot; you might need to add another mana cost somewhere. The overall idea works better than you may have imagined, though. You could easily use charge counters to avoid needing that first line of text.

Vengeful Phoenix - 1RR
    Creature - Phoenix R
    Flying
    Haunt (When this creature dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
    When the creature Vengeful Phoenix haunts dies, return Vengeful Phoenix to your hand.
    3/1

Challenge! A white card that likes artifact tokens.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-04-23 at 04:07 AM.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Haunt is a super sweet mechanic and I love it on this card! Nice bird!

Grain Meister 1W
    Creature - Human Advisor R
    At the beginning of your upkeep an opponent my pay {2}, if they don't create a food token.
    Sacrifice a Food: Another target creature you control gains indestructible until the end of the turn.
    2/1

Next make a card that is a based on a legacy playable card. Grain Meister is based on mother of runes.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-04-23 at 11:17 AM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Interesting token card with nice commander potential.

James Fastbond 1GG
    Legendary Creature - Human Spy R
    Pay 1 life: Put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.
    2/3

Challenge! Make another spy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Being silver-bordered seems important for this spy; the ramp is really explosive, and you can even use that mana on the turn you play it. It would be dangerous to just throw into standard or modern, but in silver-bordered land, you might be able to see whether it's truly crazy or whether it's secretly too unreliable for its cost. ...and it took me until I finished writing that to understand the pun.

Deepest-cover Agent - 1U
    Creature - Faerie Spy U
    Flying
    Players play with the bottom cards of their libraries revealed.
    U, T: Shuffle target player's library.
    1/3

Challenge! A faerie with hybrid mana in its cost.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by KAmber View Post
    James Fastbond 1GG
    Legendary Creature - Human Spy R
    Pay 1 life: Put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.
    2/3
    That's the most disjointed I've ever seen such a small card. The flavor makes no sense (take damage + spy = land?!), and the entire idea of a spy seems kinda contrary to Green's design/philosophy in general. Not only that, but the effect is somehow absurdly strong for its simplicity; at the low cost of 1/5th of your health, you can go +4 on mana advantage and keep that lead for the entire game. Definitely needs a rework.

Challenge! Make another spy.
    Spicrab U
    Creature - Crab Spy (U)
    Flash
    Spicrab has Deathtouch when blocking with an ally.
    "Mondieumondieumondieumondieu"
    1/1

Challenge: Surf and/or turf!
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-04-24 at 12:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/c...?name=Fastbond
    i just wanted to make a fastbond card with a pun
    Last edited by KAmber; 2020-04-24 at 11:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

OldWizardGuy

Deepest-Cover Agent is sort of weird, but has an interesting repeatable deck shuffle, so can see it getting a surprising amount of utility, particularly with added scry and seeing the top card as well effects.

Spicrab should either be 'when blocking with another creature' or its meant to fit in with ally decks? Either way, a conditional cheap deathtouch, or even just a chump blocker, is always nice, with the possibility of being able to act as removal.

Spell-eater Pug UG
    Creature- Fish Hound R
    Mutate 1UG
    Hexproof
    When this creature attacks, create X food tokens, where X is the number of times this creature has mutated.
    2/2

Next Challenge; Something else with mutate!
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

So its either a bigger bogle or 3 for hexproof and food tokens. I always worry about hexproof as it doesn't promote interaction but i think this if fine. Nice job.

Sliver Grafter 1UG
    Creature - Sliver
    Mutate 2UGG
    This creature is a sliver in addition to its other types.
    Slivers you control have +X/+X where X is equal to this creature's base power.
    1/1

Make a card that changes something's type - either sub or super.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Sliver Grafter 1UG
    Creature - Sliver
    Mutate 2UGG
    This creature is a sliver in addition to its other types.
    Slivers you control have +X/+X where X is equal to this creature's base power.
    1/1

Make a card that changes something's type - either sub or super.
    This could be really powerful, since even by itself it basically doubles a creature's power and toughness. In a proper sliver deck, giving all your creatures +3/+3 or even more is huge. However, it is expensive, requires a powerful creature already, and makes you vulnerable to 2 for 1s, like all mutates, so this should be fine.

Forced Conscription 1WW
    Sorcery (U)
    Target creature you control becomes a Soldier in addition to its other types, then create X 1/1 White Soldier creature tokens, where X is the number of Soldiers you control.

Challenge: A card with morph!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure I understand the point of the first line. It seems to me that this card's purpose is to play a bunch of soldiers in other ways and then double your board presence. If you're already playing a soldiers deck, won't this usually just make one of your existing soldiers into a double-soldier? If you want non-soldiers to help press-gang tokens, why not just make a soldier for each creature you control? Monsters and catboys can be pretty persuasive recruiters, after all.

Pretty Much Exactly What Meets the Eye, Actually - 4
    Artifact - Vehicle U
    Morph 3 (You can cast this as 2/2 creature for 3. You can then turn it face-up for its morph cost. When this turns face-up, it's not a creature and is removed from combat.)
    Crew 4
    2: Turn this artifact face-down. It's a 2/2 creature.
    6/6

Challenge! Make a 1-drop with mutate.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Looks fine even if I think the crew cost is a bit high for it. Interesting in how flipping it face up and down can dodge certain types of removal.

Watchful Eagle U
    Creature - Bird C
    Flying
    Mutate 1U
    Whenever this creature mutates, scry 1.
    It's in a unique position of being able to read it's own entrails, if only for a second
    0/1

Challenge: Make a land
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-04-24 at 06:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Watchful Eagle U
    Creature - Bird C
    Flying
    Mutate 1U
    Whenever this creature mutates, scry 1.
    It's in a unique position of being able to read it's own entrails, if only for a second
    0/1
    Cute flavor text. The mechanics here get a little murky in terms of overall theme, though. This is either a CMC 1 chump blocker (cohesive), or a CMC 2 Aura that grants Flying and a light bit of deck control (not as cohesive). It's not a bad card, it just seems a touch confused as to what it's supposed to be.

Challenge: Make a land
    Erupting Volcano
    Land (U)
    Erupting Volcano enters the field tapped.
    >[T] : Add R to your mana pool.
    >[T, Sacrifice Erupting Volcano]: Add RRR to your mana pool.

Challenge: make another thematically appropriate land.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-04-25 at 12:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

OldWizardGuy

A decent red land that can provide a steady stream or sudden burst as needed, pretty fitting all in all, though you would expect damage, for the explosion to hurt.

Overgrown Jungle
    Land UC
    Overgrown Jungle enters the field tapped.
    T- Add X G to your mana pool, where X is the number of growth counters on ~. If ~ has four or more growth counters, it does not untap during your next untap step.

Next Challage; Continue the cyclr!
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think this design is super dangerous assuming every time you tap it it adds a growth counter, but you did forget to say when you get growth.

Mist-shrouded Bog
    Land
    ~ enters the battlefield tapped.
    T: Add B equal to one plus the number of growth counters on ~.
    1BB: ~ becomes a 2/2 black vampire horror until the end of the turn with "~ gets +1/+1 for each growth counter on it".
    Whenever a creature that was dealt damage by ~ dies this turn put a growth counter on ~.

Make a manland or a growth land or something with flying.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Mist-shrouded Bog
    Land
    ~ enters the battlefield tapped.
    T: Add B equal to one plus the number of growth counters on ~.
    1BB: ~ becomes a 2/2 black vampire horror until the end of the turn with "~ gets +1/+1 for each growth counter on it".
    Whenever a creature that was dealt damage by ~ dies this turn put a growth counter on ~.
    So... You get a bigger, stronger monster and more mana whenever the Bog claims a victim? Seems like a bit much for a card you can put on the field for free. I won't say it's overpowered, but it's not exactly an ideal design, either.

EDIT: Actually, the more I think about it, the more ot grows on me. Since you have to tap it for mana, it's only one or the other at any given time, and it can't be a big land without being put at risk first. Well done.

Make a manland or a growth land or something with flying.
    ¿Por que no los tres?

Fog-Addled Island
    Land (U)
    Fog-Addled Island enters the field tapped.
    At the end of your turn, if Fog-Addled Island is untapped, place a growth counter on it.
    >[T] Add U to your mana pool.
    >[Remove a growth counter from Fog-Addled Island] Fog-Addled Island becomes a 0/3 Blue Illusion Wall with Flying and "Prevent all combat damage that would be done to or by Fog-Addled Island" until the end of the turn. This ability can be activated on either player's turn.

Challenge: We've seen Red, Black, Blue, and Green; how does White handle the concept?
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-04-25 at 01:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Storage lands aren't exactly playable but the solution diesnt seem to be for then to not lose storage counters. I think this is more dangerous in blue than other colors because blue likes holding mana for counterspells so this makes it worse for an opponent - run into a probable counterspell or have it left untapped for more ramp. If land destruction was more common it'd probably be okay because it'd be riskier to let it grow but it needs more hoops for the growth counters.

Waypoint of Souls
    Land - U
    ~ enters the battlefield tapped
    Whenever a creature you control dies, add a growth counter to ~.
    T: Add W
    1W, remove X growth counters from ~, T: Gain X life

Challenge: A hat or someone wearing a hat

Edit: oops, didn't see the growth counters didn't ramp so ignore most of what I said. Still probably excessive because blue still likes holding mana for counterspells so it's basically a good blocker at the cost of having a land etb tapped. Especially for simic and dimir flash.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-04-25 at 05:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess you made Foggledland's triggered ability weird so that it could get the counter and block right away, but if that's the case then you don't need the growth counters at all; you needed it untapped for it to block anyway. As such, it's very obviously too good at what it does? Did you mean to make it require multiple counters and just forget to change the number?

A storage land for life gain seems okay. I honestly don't have strong opinions on it, which according to past experience means that it's probably busted.

Genju of the Fields but it's wearing a hat that says Land on it because I took too long writing this
    Land Creature - Spirit R
    If you control no Plains lands, this isn't a creature. (If it is a creature, it might have summoning sickness.)
    Lifelink
    1/2

Challenge! Leave a creature crestfallen.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-04-25 at 03:45 PM.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    I guess you made Foggledland's triggered ability weird so that it could get the counter and block right away, but if that's the case then you don't need the growth counters at all; you needed it untapped for it to block anyway. As such, it's very obviously too good at what it does? Did you mean to make it require multiple counters and just forget to change the number?
    Pretty much, yeah.

Genju of the Fields but it's wearing a hat that says Land on it because I took too long writing this
    Land Creature - Spirit R
    If you control no Plains lands, this isn't a creature. (If it is a creature, it might have summoning sickness.)
    Lifelink
    1/2
    So, I'm having a hard time seeing a point to the creature half of this guy. He's not much of a striker, and there's little to no point in leaving him untapped to block, since he can be killed by basically anything. Heck, he's arguably worse than a basic land, since having a creature half leaves him vulnerable to cards like Chandra's Pyrohelix, making him easier to shunt off the board than a basic land would be, and he (probably?) takes up that vital land placement slot to get him out in the first place.

Challenge! Leave a creature crestfallen.
    Cliffs of Depression
    Legendary Land (R)
    >[T, Tap target creature you control] Create a colorless artifact Crystal token with "Sacrifice this artifact: Add 1 colorless mana to your mana pool".
    Producing Illuminyte and crushing souls since 1240 GUE.

Challenge: do something else with Crystals.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

24. - Top - End - #24

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Cliffs of Depression
    Legendary Land (R)
    >[T, Tap target creature you control] Create a colorless artifact Crystal token with "Sacrifice this artifact: Add 1 colorless mana to your mana pool".
    Producing Illuminyte and crushing souls since 1240 GUE.

Challenge: do something else with Crystals.
    This is an interesting take on a land that builds up value over time. Only producing colorless mana is a good step towards making it more balanced, though it still is very good. I think this would be a staple, but not overpower, but I've always been bad at evaluating land power levels.

Crystalline Defense W
    Enchantment (C)
    Enchant creature
    Enchanted creature has defender and gets +0/+3.
    W, Sacrifice Crystalline Defense: Tap target creature.

Challenge: A combination of two iconic creatures! (Angel, Sphinx, Demon, Dragon, or Hydra)
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-04-25 at 06:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

OldWizardGuy

Spoiler: Crystal Ninja
    Show
    A nice way to gain mana to spend later, and takes time to actually use, and your opponent can remove the creatures needed easy enough.

Also, overgrown Jungle was supposed to have 'At the end of your turn, if you have a creature with 4 or more power, place a growth counter on ~'

Mutable Crystal 3
    Artifact R
    T- Add X mana in any combination of colors among non-human creatures you control. X is the highest number of mutations among creatures you control.

Huh, a pretty good buff for your own creatures... and if you can throw it on a big creature an opponent controls, nice limited removal... though good chance they would be able to tap and retaliate. Still, could also be used to pump up a small lifelink critter to stall some of the bigger creatures.

Kylthris, Blackscale Broodmother 3BGR
    Legendary Creature- Demon Hydra
    Trample, Vigilance, Reach
    Whenever ~ takes combat damage, prevent it and place that many +1/+1 counters on it.
    When another hydra attacks, you gain 2 life. When another demon attacks, you may pay 2 life and draw a card.
    T, Remove X +1/+1 counters from ~; Create a X/X Green Hydra creature Token with Trample and Reach or a X/X Black Demon creature Token with Flying and and Deathtouch
    4/6

Next Challenge; A human to fight a giant monster!
    Last edited by Warmatt; 2020-04-25 at 06:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Warmatt View Post
    Kylthris, Blackscale Broodmother 3BGR
    Legendary Creature- Demon Hydra
    Trample, Vigilance, Reach
    Whenever ~ takes combat damage, prevent it and place that many +1/+1 counters on it.
    When another hydra attacks, you gain 2 life. When another demon attacks, you may pay 2 life and draw a card.
    T, Remove X +1/+1 counters from ~; Create a X/X Green Hydra creature Token with Trample and Reach or a X/X Black Demon creature Token with Flying and and Deathtouch
    4/6
    Holy undercosted beatsticks, Batman!

I mean, I get it. A Demon Hydra is basically nightmare fuel incarnate, and it should be pretty daunting to fight. However, an unkillable, ever-growing, effectively unblockable beatstick that can attack over anything for the low cost of 6 CMC is just crazy, man. Sure, it's got a built-in way to take off those +1/+1 counters, but there's no forcing the player to use it and therefore nothing stopping them from just ramming it into their opponent's defences until they win.

Next Challenge; A human to fight a giant monster!
    Relentless Champion 5W
    Creature - Human Soldier (R)
    Deathtouch, Defender
    >Relentless Champion fights target creature you don't control. If Relentless Champion survives, exile it.
    "As long as I draw breath, you shall not pass!"
    1/7

Challenge! Make a card you'd want in a burn deck, but can't do any actual damage.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-04-25 at 07:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Is that > supposed to be a tap symbol? We usually just use the letter T. In any case, between the fighting and deathtouch this is clearly a green card and not a white card. White has some bounty hunters and jailers that get the general effect you want, though.

Scorch Shaman - R
    Creature - Human Shaman R
    Whenever an instant or sorcery you control deals damage, add R.
    0/2

Challenge! Make an enchantment that ties two things together.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-04-25 at 10:29 PM.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

28. - Top - End - #28

OldWizardGuy

Holy undercosted beatsticks, Batman!

I mean, I get it. A Demon Hydra is basically nightmare fuel incarnate, and it should be pretty daunting to fight. However, an unkillable, ever-growing, effectively unblockable beatstick that can attack over anything for the low cost of 6 CMC is just crazy, man. Sure, it's got a built-in way to take off those +1/+1 counters, but there's no forcing the player to use it and therefore nothing stopping them from just ramming it into their opponent's defences until they win.
    Meant to essentially transfer over the +1/+1 counters for the spawned creatures.... and it only blocks combat damage. Instant kills, exiles, stright up burn spells and effects... those bypass the effect ripped off from (and beefed up for MR legendary) the Ironscale Hydra with reasons why you might want to offload some of those +1/+1 counters, due to the fact that hey, extra life hydras and then pay to draw demons you can get from one broodmother.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Is that > supposed to be a tap symbol? We usually just use the letter T. In any case, between the fighting and deathtouch this is clearly a green card and not a white card. White has some bounty hunters and jailers that get the general effect you want, though.
    Actually, it's just meant to show that what follows is an activated ability (albeit a costless one), as opposed to a static or triggered ability. While you could probably infer that if you read carefully, it helps to be clear on the matter.

Also, you've got a fair point about it being a green card. Not sure why I tried to make it white...

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Actually, it's just meant to show that what follows is an activated ability (albeit a costless one), as opposed to a static or triggered ability. While you could probably infer that if you read carefully, it helps to be clear on the matter.

Also, you've got a fair point about it being a green card. Not sure why I tried to make it white...
    No, you can't really infer it from that, especially because costless activated abilities (including tapping as a cost) are few and far between. My first two guesses would have been that it was a tap ability or a mistemplated etb effect. The correct templating for it would be "0: {Ability text here}".

Also on templating, you don't need the provision saying only exile it if it survives, you can just say "then exile it". If it gets destroyed in the fight, it's not on the battlefield as the same object to be exiled. It's still clear as your wrote it, but not how it would normally be templated.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.