Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge VI: Companion Did Nothing Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Scorch Shaman - R
    Creature - Human Shaman R
    Whenever an instant or sorcery you control deals damage, add R.
    0/2

Challenge! Make an enchantment that ties two things together.
    This seems like it'd be ridiculous in burn, practically letting you dump your hand on turn two. It dies to almost anything, but it still seems really powerful to me. It's a neat concept, though, and it could probably make burn viable in Standard.

Bound by Fate 1B
    Enchantment- Aura (U)
    Enchant creature
    When Bound by Fate enters the battlefield, create a copy of it enchanting target creature except it doesn't have this ability.
    When enchanted creature dies, destroy each other creature enchanted by a card named Bound by Fate.

Challenge: Something that gives ability counters!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-04-26 at 04:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32

OldWizardGuy

Ah black, so many things that trigger off a card entering your graveyard or needing you to sacrifice something :) Overall, its a nifty little enchantment that I can really see doing the voodoo shuffle, allowing you to get added utility out of your sacrifice cards. Or, snap it both on creatures your opponent controls and one removal spell later gets you a lovely little two for one, so should almost always add value :)

Illkos, Supreme Tutor 3(G/W)(G/U)(W/R)(B/U)
    Legendary Creature- Human MR
    1R- Place a Haste or First Strike counter on target non-human creature you control
    1G- Place a Trample or Reach counter on target non-human creature you control
    1U- Place a Flying or Hexproof counter on target non-human creature you control
    1W- Place a Lifelink or Vigilance counter on target non-human creature you control
    1B- Place a Deathtouch or Undying counter on target non-human creature you control
    5/5

Next Challenge; An equipment!
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

This card offers a lot of utility and I think that the hexproof/undyong counters are stronger than the other options but i guess its okay since the card is 7 mana.

Fusion Rings 3
    Artifact - Equipment R
    Equip 4
    Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each time its mutated.
    When you equip ~ to a creature if there is a creature that ~ is already equipped to, mutate them together.

Next make a card that has ripple or spell mastery or echo
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-04-27 at 01:29 PM.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

I guess we don't have to worry about balance since it's clearly only here for the memes. I'm not sure how you'd have to phrase the ability, even with Mutate around as a reference. Mutate has a lot of very specific rules around it to make sure none of the cards change owners. It'd be something like, '4: If you own equipped creature, put it over or under another target creature you own as though you had cast it for a mutate cost. Attach this artifact to the combined creature.'

Mega Squadron Hawk - 5W
    Creature - Bird U
    Flying, Ripple 20
    1/1

Challenge! Make a card that would be helpful in making and/or delivering pizza (even if that's obviously not what you're using it for)
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-04-27 at 04:54 PM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Looking at the best case scenario for board state, 4 1/1 fliers for 6 isn't amazing and the likely outcome of 2 1/1 fliers for 6 is pretty underwhelming. On the other hand, in the right deck (with self mill or maybe draw power) it might actually be playable in limited with a 40 card deck in a situation where it feels more blue than white. If you're down to 20 cards or less, I think it would basically be "order your library as you choose" which is strong enough at 6 to maybe be playable in limited.

Card Spatula 3
    Artifact R (Un)
    2, T: You may use ~ to attempt to flip one card upside down with a single flip. Cards flipped upside by ~ are 2/2 creatures and can be turned face up at any time by their controller by paying their mana cost.

Challenge: Make an aura
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Card Spatula 3
    Artifact R (Un)
    2, T: You may use ~ to attempt to flip one card upside down with a single flip. Cards flipped upside by ~ are 2/2 creatures and can be turned face up at any time by their controller by paying their mana cost.
    Definitely earns its spot in the Unglued sets. Not much to say otherwise, since balance isn't a concern.

Challenge: Make an aura
    Apotheosis 8
    Enchantment Aura (MR)
    Enchant non-God creature. It has +5/+5, Indestructible, Hexproof and "This creature cannot attack if your opponent doesn't control a creature with an equal power or greater".

Challenge: make another card that gives you a power boost wherein that's a bad thing.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Interesting. A little on the high cost side considering the drawback and everything, but a card i would play in some decks.

Partake in Power 5UU
    Sorcery U
    Exile the top five cards of your library. Draw cards from your deck equal to their combined converted mana cost.
    If it's more than 20, you lose the game.

Create another card that draws way too many cards.
    Last edited by KAmber; 2020-04-28 at 01:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seems like an edh card, lets say that on average you hit 1-2 lands then to not lose you need an average cmc of less than 20/4 20/3 so 5 or 6? It will probably draw at least 10-15 cards? Seems like a well costed variant of enter the infinite!

Wish for Knowledge UUU
    Enchantment
    As ~ enters the battlefield draw 4 cards.
    You have no maximum hand size.
    Cards in your hand are Blue Sorcery Spells named Consider that cost U and have "Draw a card.". You cannot play them as other cards.
    "She wished for choices but not the ability to choose."

Next make a card that has the word land in its rules text at least once.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

I was confused about this card's purpose until I realized that it draws 4 cards for 3 mana, making the rest of the text a necessary drawback. It would be absolutely bananas is exactly the right deck and a liability everywhere else, which is just where this kind of card wants to be.

Blooming Dryad - 1G
    Creature - Dryad C
    You may have Blooming Dryad enter the battlefield as a copy of target land. (If you do, it's not a creature.)
    2/2

Challenge! Make a treefolk creature with a tap ability.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

10. - Top - End - #40

OldWizardGuy

A 2/2 for 2 or four lands on turn 3... classic green ramp and a good choice, as either mode fits.

Torgath, Deepwoods Elder 4GBW
    Legendary Creature- Treefolk Nightmare MR
    Trample
    When ~ untaps you gain 2 life for each other creature you control and place a +1/+1 counter on ~
    2GB, T- Return any number of creatures from your graveyard to your hand, so long as their combined power is less than ~
    5/8

Next Challenge; Something that triggers off mutate, or a constellation ability!
    Last edited by Warmatt; 2020-04-28 at 07:44 PM.
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

11. - Top - End - #41

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Warmatt View Post
    Torgath, Deepwoods Elder 4GBW
    Legendary Creature- Treefolk Nightmare MR
    Trample
    When ~ untaps you gain 2 life for each other creature you control and place a +1/+1 counter on ~
    2GB, T- Return any number of creatures from your graveyard to your hand, so long as their combined power is less than ~
    5/8

Next Challenge; Something that triggers off mutate, or a constellation ability!
    This is a card that does a lot of stuff, and it could use some templating help. The first ability should be more like "Whenever ~ becomes untapped, you gain 2 life for each other creature you control. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~." and the second ability should be more like "Return any amount of creature cards with combined power less than ~ from your graveyard to your hand." These are some interesting abilities, and at 7 mana, it's not going to be breaking anything. I do like how the tap ability and the first one synergize.

Starborn Griffin 1WW
    Enchantment Creature- Griffin (U)
    Mutate 2WW
    Flying
    Whenever this creature mutates, look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal an enchantment card among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
    2/3

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

The mutate ability feels kind of weak, if I'm to be honest. It's probably not as good as drawing a card, as even if you really want an enchantment you're pretty likely to whiff. You might be able to get away with making it a full-on tutor; white still gets to tutor for auras and stuff, I think. I'm a bit bewildered that it's trying to bring Mutate to Theros, but that's cool.

Fearsome Evangelist - 2R
    Creature - Minotaur Cleric U
    Menace
    Constellation - Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, put a Menace counter on target creature you control.
    3/2

Challenge! Moar menace!
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

13. - Top - End - #43

Fearsome Evangelist - 2R
    Creature - Minotaur Cleric U
    Menace
    Constellation - Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, put a Menace counter on target creature you control.
    3/2
    So... What's the plan? Unload a bunch of enchantments to give all your creatures menace? Wouldn't the enchantments themselves be kind of overkill? I don't think it's a terrible idea, it's just that waiting for enchantments seems really slow for such an effect.

Challenge! Moar menace!
    Aging Vandal 5B
    Creature - Demon Wizard (R)
    Menace (This creature can only be blocked by two or more creatures)
    If Aging Vandal blocks, return it to your hand before the damage step.
    When Aging Vandal is blocked, blocking creatures gain "this creature can't block alone".
    2/10

Challenge! Build a fortress!
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-04-29 at 07:29 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's an interesting card! It seems to be some kind of tech for a token deck.

Keep and Castle 4
    Artifact - Fortification
    Fortify 3
    1, Tap an untapped fortified land you control: Put a brick counter on ~.
    Damage dealt to you is reduced by 1 for each brick counter ~ has, to a minimum of 1.

Make another card that's a fortification or uses brick counters.
    Last edited by KAmber; 2020-04-29 at 08:54 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think this design really benefits from being a fortification at all. It might be a different story in a format with enough other, better fortifications to speed it up, but I doubt it. By the time you've paid 7 mana, the best-case scenario of, 'if a thing would deal damage to you, reduce that damage to 1,' might not even be worth it... but then, if it's too cheap then it turns into an auto-include everywhere, so maybe this is as good as it can get away with already.

Spoiler: Brick Counters
    Show
    Brick Counter - 2W
    Artifact Creature - Cyborg Artificer (Silver-bordered)
    Brick Counter enters the battlefield with a Brick counter on it.
    T, Remove X Brick counters from Brick Counter: Put X+1 Brick counters on Brick Counter and X Brick counters on target brick counter. (There's one in the kitchen.)
    3/3

Lighting Railing - 2
    Artifact - Fortification U
    Fortified land has Hexproof.
    Fortify 0

Challenge! Make a noncreature permanent that turns into a creature if you're playing into a particular deck archetype.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-04-29 at 08:06 PM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

16. - Top - End - #46

ElfMonkGuy

Lighting Railing - 2
    Artifact - Fortification U
    Fortified land has Hexproof.
    Fortify 0

Challenge! Make a noncreature permanent that turns into a creature if you're playing into a particular deck archetype.
    This seems pretty good, though decidedly side-boardy, since land hate is pretty rare. If there's a certain land you have to protect, this will definitely get the job done.

Dormant Statuary UR
    Artifact (U)
    Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may put a charge counter on Dormant Statuary.
    As long as Dormant Statuary has four or more charge counters on it, it's a 0/0 Construct creature with "This creature gets +1/+1 for each charge counter on it."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is a little weak, compare to Thing in the Ice which has the same creature condition but also cheaper cost, bigger body, a stronger effect. Since you didn't leave a challenge I'm just going to pretend you said "do it again!".

Planar Guardian 2
    Artifact
    When ~ enters the battlefield draw a card.
    1, T: Add W to your mana pool.
    If an opponent has played a card that didn't start in their deck this game, ~ is a 5/4 Avatar creature with vigilance and first strike in addition to its other types.

"The town had considered tearing down the strange statue years before but when the Eldrazi came they were glad that they didn't."
    Edit: change to: If an opponent owns a card that didn't start in their deck...

Make a card that has a cmc of 0.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-04-30 at 02:39 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

"Monocolor Pentad Prism with situational upside" is a good starting point for this type of design. Unfortunately, there's no general way to tell whether a card an opponent plays from their hand is the copy that started in their deck or the one that, say, they shuffled in with Research.

Scrap Golem
    Artifact Creature - Golem C
    Sacrifice an artifact instead of paying Scrap Golem's mana cost.
    2/1

Challenge! Make a permanent that gives itself to an opponent.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2020-04-30 at 02:14 PM. Reason: "Challenge!"
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. It's weird. I think the normal way to do this is to make it really cost 0 and make the artifact-sacrificing an additional cost? Either way, it's one way to try and fix Affinity I suppose.

Someone's Peacekeepers - 2W
    Creature - Human Knight R
    Defender
    Whenever a player is attacked, that player gains control of Someone's Peacekeepers until end of turn. (If multiple players are attacked at once, its current controller effectively decides who ends up with it by choosing the order in which the instances of this triggered ability resolve.)
    5/8

Challenge! One-mana planeswalker!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-04-30 at 05:18 PM.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Scrap Golem
    Artifact Creature - Golem C
    Sacrifice an artifact instead of paying Scrap Golem's mana cost.
    2/1
    So, even without a mana cost, I'm pretty sure the alt cost isn't worth it. A 2/1 with no specials isn't worth much, especially given the time it takes to put out an artifact in the first place. About the only worthwhile exchange I can see is feeding it a token artifact like a Clue or Treasure, and in the latter case, that can't be different from just using the Treasure.

Challenge! Make a permanent that gives itself to an opponent.
    Live Grenade RR
    Artifact (U)
    Live Grenade enters play with 3 counters on it.
    During your Upkeep step, if you had control of Live Grenade last turn, remove a counter from Live Grenade. If this leaves it with no counters, sacrifice it and take 5 damage.
    >[T] Give control of Live Grenade to target player.
    >[Sacrifice Live Grenade] Destroy target artifact or deal 3 damage to target creature.
    "Hot potato!"

Challenge! Make a 3-card archetype or a mount.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooh another double post

Someone's Peacekeepers 2W
    A 3 mana 5/8 that gives all your creature's defender. This seems like it could be reasonably strong in a planeswalker control deck where you never really need to attack. Interesting card.

Live Grenade RR
    Since there will almost always be an atrifact or creature on the board it is almost impossible to get this to do 5 dmg to your opponent which leaves it mostly as RR deal 3 to a creature or destroy an artifact. Abrade is a similar card so this gets and ehh from me. The idea is cool but the play patterns mean it hardly ever goes off accidentally.

Challenge! Make a 3-card archetype or a mount.
    Challenge! One-mana planeswalker!

Hmm so a 1 mana planeswalker mount

The Weatherlight, Ignited W
    Legendary Planeswalker - Weatherlight MR
    +1: Until your next turn The Weatherlight, Ignited can only be attacked by creatures with flying.
    -1: Look at the top 4 cards of your library, you may reveal a legendary permanent from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
    -3: Reveal a planeswalker card from outside the game, then add that card to your hand.

Edit: I didn't want to make it -4 because I felt that you had to wait too long, especially if you played it after t1, to get its "ultimate ability" which is a meh tutor.

Next, make a historic card - that is a card that is legendary, a saga, or an artifact.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-05-01 at 03:55 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    The Weatherlight, Ignited W
    Legendary Planeswalker - Weatherlight MR
    +1: Until your next turn The Weatherlight, Ignited can only be attacked by creatures with flying.
    -1: Look at the top 4 cards of your library, you may reveal a legendary permanent from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
    -3: Reveal a planeswalker card from outside the game, then add that card to your hand.

Next, make a historic card - that is a card that is legendary, a saga, or an artifact.
    Weirdness about the Weatherlight not being an artifact aside, this actually seems like a decently balanced 1 mana planeswalker. I really like how it has to "land" to actually pick up any passengers, and it'd be quite vulnerable after doing so. Even if you just keep ticking it up, it's still vulnerable to removal spells, not to mention that it's not actually doing anything all the while. I'm a bit concerned about the last ability; being able to wish for a planeswalker on turn 3 seems pretty powerful, and you could wait until turn 4 if you want to keep the Weatherlight alive. I might want to put that at -4 or -5.

The Coppercoat's Vengeance 2RR
    Enchantment- Saga (R)
    I: Create a 3/3 red Cat creature token.
    II: Gain control of target creature for as long as The Coppercoat's Vengeance remains on the battlefield.
    III: Creatures you control get +2/+0 and trample until end of turn.

Challenge: A card with "A deck can have any number of cards named ~"!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

I was under the impression that the Coppercoats didn't like the big cats, and that that was why that one guy who turned out to be a planeswalker was exiled? But, I might have it backwards. The card itself reminds me of The Akroan War except you're the one who's attacking, which seems fine.

Alex's Goblin Token
    (Red) Creature Land - Goblin C
    Haste
    A deck can have any number of cards named Alex's Goblin Token.
    It taps for damage!
    1/1

Challenge! An animal that stores stuff in its burrow!
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is a hard card to evaluate, on one hand its a better memknight especially for goblin deck but the fact that you can't play more than one of these a turn and that they take your land play are really good balancing factors. I think this card it actually very well balanced and interesting. Good job!!

Challenge! An animal that stores stuff in its burrow!

Thieving Fox 1RB
    Creature - Fox Rogue U
    Menace
    Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player that player discards a card, then they can draw a card if they do you draw a card.
    3/2

Another animal or another rogue with a new rogue mechanic.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Thieving Fox 1RB
    Creature - Fox Rogue U
    Menace
    Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player that player discards a card, then they can draw a card if they do you draw a card.
    3/2
    The red half of this card seems needlessly restrictive, since this works just fine as a monoblue (or possibly monogreen). As for the actual mechanics of the card, it seems like just a hair too much. Forcing a card disadvantage is a powerful ability, even moreso the easier it is to pull off. Leave out the Menace and it seems good to me.

Another animal or another rogue with a new rogue mechanic.
    Hidden Assassin 2B
    Creature - Human Rogue (R)
    Stealth (This card enters play as a colorless, face-down 2/2 creature. You may turn it face up by paying its mana cost or if your opponent targets it with a card effect.)
    When Hidden Assassin is revealed, it gains Deathtouch until the end of the turn.
    3/2

Challenge! Find another use for Stealth.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-05-01 at 08:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

This is way too close to morph to be is own mechanic and if you want it to be a surprise (as stealth implies), you need to apply an independent cost to casting it face down (again, see morph). The key difference to morph is that it can face flip up when targeted by an opponent, but unless it gets hexproof when flipped (or something similar), that's probably a moot point a lot of the time as it won't survive what's targeting it that often. However, as a morph card, surprise deathtouch is perfectly fine and good removal for limited so the card itself is pretty good.

Amphibious Wolf 2UG
    Creature - Beast U
    Stealth
    When ~ is flipped face up, it gains hexproof until end of turn.
    3/4

Challenge: An enchantment about issuing a challenge
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

How is it not a wolf? You put wolf right there in the name! It can be a frog wolf or fish wolf or even a beast wolf if you need it to. I'm a little annoyed with Stealth when Morph fits the flavor just fine. This card pushes the idea that your opponent shouldn't bother targeting any Stealth morphs since it will probably make things worse for them; its mere existence gives them all soft-hexproof, which kind of benefits the stealth flavor I guess.

Letter of Invitation - 1
    Several versions of this card exist, each depicting the hand of a different planeswalker holding a familiar envelope.
    Artifact - R
    2, T: Search your library for a planeswalker card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Target opponent gains control of Letter of Invitation.

Challenge! Something that returns a permanent to its owner's hand, but also does something else.
    Nexusites, Dorothy.

28. - Top - End - #58

Letter of Invitation - 1
    Several versions of this card exist, each depicting the hand of a different planeswalker holding a familiar envelope.
    Artifact - R
    2, T: Search your library for a planeswalker card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Target opponent gains control of Letter of Invitation.
    This card doesn't seem to be that bad; it just accelerates the game, right? Then I realized you can have a fair number of these in your deck, alongside a strong cast of planeswalkers, and you get some cheap, color-independent deck control. Sure, it'd be expensive as all get-out, but even so... Oof.

Challenge! Something that returns a permanent to its owner's hand, but also does something else.
    Anarchic Rift 3U
    Sorcery (R)
    For each player, target three nonland permanents (or all nonland permanents if they have less than three). Their controllers pick one to return to their hand, one to destroy, and one to exile, in that order.

Challenge! Make another card that lets thr victim do the decision-making.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

29. - Top - End - #59

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Anarchic Rift 3U
    Sorcery (R)
    For each player, target three nonland permanents (or all nonland permanents if they have less than three). Their controllers pick one to return to their hand, one to destroy, and one to exile, in that order.

Challenge! Make another card that lets thr victim do the decision-making.
    I assume you probably want "nonland permanents that player controls", since as written, you could target 6 of your opponent's cards. At minimum, this should be blue-black, since blue can't destroy or exile nonland permanents by itself. It might even also want to be white or green, since black also can't destroy artifacts or enchantments. This does avoid some of the issues with punisher cards, since you do get to choose the initial permanents. Them always being able to save the most valuable card by bouncing it hurts a bit, though. I think, if it was multicolored, this would be an interesting, if on the weak side, piece of removal.

Equivalent Exchange 1U
    Sorcery (U)
    Choose a nonland permanent you control, then target opponent chooses a nonland permanent they control with equal converted mana cost. Exchange control of those permanents.

Challenge: A curse!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-05-02 at 12:57 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm I feel like this doesn't perfectly fit the challenge since your opponent wont often have much of a choice. I'm glad that you prevented swapping lands though.

Debt to Dominence 3BB
    Enchantment - Curse
    Enchant Player
    Enchanted player has "Creatures your opponents control without Tribute have Tribute 2."
    Whenever enchanted player chooses not to pay tribute they lose 3 life.

Make a card that has cycling.
    Show