Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge VI: Companion Did Nothing Wrong

So I'm pretty sure that you meant doesn't untap during its controller's NEXT untap step. I don't think this is strong enough. It is 2 for an instant that sleeps a creature with 2 more to psudo replicate. I guess you can also save the artifacts for later but this doesn't seem super white. Maybe have it convoke for the tokens instead?

Not quite sure what is intended by this prompt but here I go.

Three-headed Dragon-Angel-Cyclops 3RGW
    Creature - Dragon Angel Cyclops
    Double Strike
    ~ can only be blocked by 2 or more creatures and only if one of those creatures has flying.
    The first time ~ assigns combat damage each turn that damage has lifelink.
    R: ~ gets +1/+0 and trample until the end of the turn.
    3/6
    Fzill Stmop was the first elf to ever be kicked out of the Simic Combine for inventing.

Make something Sane, something with morph, or a sliver.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

That is the most confusing MTG card I've ever read.

Maya, Warden of the Faceless 2UG
    Legendary Creature - Human Knight
    Morph UG
    Vigilance
    3: Manifest a card in your hand. (Put it on the battlefield face down. It's a 2/2 creature. You can turn it face up for its mana cost.)
    Whenever a creature you control turns face-up, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
    3/4

Challenge! Create something meta, or create something in reference to Community. Bonus points if you do both.
    Last edited by KAmber; 2020-05-29 at 04:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

I was going to say that it's weird for her to trigger her own ability when she flips face-up, but you are kind of paying more mana to play her that way, so I guess it works out. It is the the right colors for secret plans, and unlike Secret Plans it can be your commander if that's your jam. I like it!

I've Never Seen Community - 2W
    Sorcery - R
    Put a Friendship counter on each of up to five target creatures. Those creatures each gain Protection from other creatures with Friendship counters on them.

Challenge! Make something that reminds you of a Matryoshka doll.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    I've Never Seen Community - 2W
    Sorcery - R
    Put a Friendship counter on each of up to five target creatures. Those creatures each gain Protection from other creatures with Friendship counters on them.
    I've never seen Community, so I couldn't tell you how accurate this is to the source material. That being said, I like the mechanic; it gives a lot of choices and still manages to be self-righting, which is terrific from a gameplay perspective. Well done.

Challenge! Make something that reminds you of a Matryoshka doll.
    Eight-Ring Ent 6G
    Creature - Treefolk (U)
    When Eight-Ring Ent would be destroyed, except as a result of having 0 or less toughness, place a -1/-1 counter on it instead.
    8/8

Challenge! Danse Macabre!
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-05-30 at 08:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is interesting, i don't know if its intentional but if you deal lethal damage to it the ent dies as it still has lethal dmg and ticks all the way down, that makes it's power level a little weak. I think if you said when ~ dies regenerate it and put a -1/-1 counter on it, that would work better.

Bleeding Rose BB
    Artifact R
    Whenever you draw a card put a blood counter on ~.
    Pay life equal to the number of blood counters on ~, T: Draw a card. Activate this any time you could cast a sorcery.
    Sacrifice a creature: Remove a blood counter from ~.
    Such a flower has a price to match its color.

Make a card that features a flower or a card that features three distinct characters, or a three color enchantment with madness.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-05-31 at 12:42 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Bleeding Rose BB
    Artifact R
    Whenever you draw a card put a blood counter on ~.
    Pay life equal to the number of blood counters on ~, T: Draw a card.
    Sacrifice a creature: Remove a blood counter from ~.
    Such a flower has a price to match its color.

Make a card that features a flower or a card that features three distinct characters, or a three color enchantment with madness.
    This is really strong. Tap this on the turn it comes down, then tap it again on your next turn before your draw step, and it's BB, pay 1 life: Draw two cards, which is high value enough. Being able to pay a minor life cost after that, or just being able to sacrifice a few tokens, makes this probably too strong as a card advantage creator.

Edgar's Charge 1WBR
    Enchantment (R)
    When Edgar's Charge enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
    Whenever you discard a card, you may pay 2. If you do, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
    Madness WBR

Challenge: A class-based tribal card! (Something like Warriors or Clerics, instead of Goblins or Elves)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Edgar's charge is a bit weird. I guess you felt that is should be red for rummaging, black for discard interaction, and white for the charge effect, which seems reasonable. The charging part, despite it being the name of the card, is the thing it's least likely to actually do at any given time. What is Edgar doing that's represented by the drawing and discarding? What about it enables all the charging?

Druid Unitarian - 2G
    Creature - Elf Druid R
    Whenever another Druid you control is tapped for mana, add one mana of any color.
    T: Add one mana of any color.
    1/3

Challenge! A large, round, spiny thing!
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

8. - Top - End - #128

Druid Unitarian - 2G
    Creature - Elf Druid R
    Whenever another Druid you control is tapped for mana, add one mana of any color.
    T: Add one mana of any color.
    1/3
    So... That is really strong in a ramp deck. On its own, you can tap it for two mana per turn (which isn't bad), but if you can back it up with other druids, you can build up obscene mana advantage absurdly quickly. The fact that it costs three mana to play barely offsets this (if you're playing a ramp deck, three mana is a trivial cost), so the only real limiting factor is how many other mana-producing druids you can pump out in your first few turns. After that, it's pretty much game. I could see this working a lot better if it could, say, untap druids in exchange for some other cost (life, being tapped itself, having to summon a creature or cast a spell, et cetera), but rewarding mana with more mana is just a bit too cheeky.

Challenge! A large, round, spiny thing!
    Giant Sea Urchin 2U
    Creature - Fish (C)
    Defender
    When Giant Sea Urchin inflicts damage to a creature, place a -1/-1 counter on that creature.
    2/4

Challenge! Make a library.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think this might be a touch strong for a common in draft, otherwise its a virtual 3/4 defender which is a little stronger than other cmc 3 defenders that have been printed. I would say give it a slight nerf/downside like sac on target to make it fair.

Halls of Law 1WW
    Enchantment R
    T: Add W
    X, T: Add or Remove up to X book counters on ~.
    W: Any target gets protection from converted mana cost X until the end of the turn where X is equal to the number of book counters on ~.

Make a card with 3 subtypes, a vehicle with double strike, a scarecrow, or a card that has a rabbit in the artwork.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-06-02 at 11:47 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

I was going to cry foul for a second, but then I realized that this was an enchantment and not a land. This leads me to wonder why it taps for mana, since its other abilities are surely interesting enough to make a card on their own. It's quite good at what it does, too. With a little foresight, you can effectively counter at least one attempt to remove something every turn, twisting the law to suit your purposes at the time. If it turns out to be too strong, it might just be a matter of changing it so that it can't protect itself like it currently can.

I Think I've Seen This Anime - 1RR
    Artifact Creature - Rabbit Scarecrow Vehicle U
    Haste, Crew 2 (You don't have to crew this for it to be a creature.)
    Whenever you crew this creature, it gains Double Strike until end of turn.
    3/3

Challenge! Make a card featuring a cosmic event or severe weather.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Nice and clean and an interesting use of crew. It feels like it might not be the best way to word it but I can't really think of a clear and concise way. Does feel weird if you give it vigilance somehow and you actually want it to crew itself but that's neither here nor there.

Stuttering Storm 0
    Sorcery R
    (Blue colour indicator)
    Counter target spell
    "Damn it Teferi"

Yes, I'm aware that it's silly and not designed in a way that would be good to actually see in play.

Challenge: Another card where people might mistake its use at first glance
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-06-06 at 07:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Nice and clean and an interesting use of crew. It feels like it might not be the best way to word it but I can't really think of a clear and concise way. Does feel weird if you give it vigilance somehow and you actually want it to crew itself but that's neither here nor there.

Stuttering Storm 0
    Sorcery R
    (Blue colour indicator)
    Counter target spell
    "Damn it Teferi"

Yes, I'm aware that it's silly and not designed in a way that would be good to actually see in play.

Challenge: Another card where people might mistake its use at first glance
    Did you know what this design is the most common submission on r/custommagic? Free counterspells are always an issue, and this card is either going to be oppressive or another 3 cent rare.

Battlefield Stoppage 1W
    Instant- U
    Players canít lose life this turn.

Challenge- a build-around enchantment.
    Avatar by @CultistKitten on Twitter

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

It sure is a better fog. It might warrant a higher price tag for its added versatility. It's probably fine on its own, but imagine putting it on an Isochron Scepter!

Spoiler: My first idea turned into a non-enchantment after several iterations in my head
    Show
    Roboticize - 1W
    Instant - U
    Create a 1/1 Servo artifact creature token. Exile target creature until that token leaves the battlefield.

Kermit's Rainbow - G
    Enchantment - R (Silver-bordered)
    1: Add one mana of any color.
    1: Choose a color that is not a color in Magic. It becomes a color until end of turn.
    1: Target spell or permanent becomes all colors until end of turn.

Challenge! Hot Frog!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-06-06 at 10:05 PM.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Power isn't as relevant as an un-card but it's still very cheap mana fixing and the last ability has the potential to actually be pretty powerful if you have protection from a colour on a creature. I guess it's good to have some more cheap mana fixing in that colour. It's not easy being green

Lava frog R
    Creature - Frog U
    Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may deal 1 damage to target creature or planeswalker
    1/1

@BoP: Do you mean a free counterspells being the most common on r/custommagic or that specific design. I know it's not a good design given it tries to be confusing deliberately but it feels less egregious than a lot of free counterspells because you need 3feri or leyline of anticipation to be able to play it and that supports holding mana open until your opponents end step a fair bit anyway.

Challenge: Make a card based around the first thing you see when you look outside next.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Halfling in the Playground

That specific design. A 0 mana sorcery counterspell.
    Avatar by @CultistKitten on Twitter

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Christmas starts when Halloween ends, Halloween starts after New Year. The only part of the year that isn't a holiday is between Christmas and December 31st.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Strictly better than Spark Mage (which isn't saying a lot), unless you really meant the controller is the one dealing the damage. I guess the ping target option is better enough to forgive its 1/1 body.

Red Shirt 2
    Artifact - Equipment C
    If a creature not equipped with an artifact named ~ would become the target of a spell or ability, equipped creature becomes the target instead.
    Equip 2

Make another card that references background characters
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    That specific design. A 0 mana sorcery counterspell.
    Huh. Don't use reddit much but that genuinely surprises me because, for reasons both of us brought up, it would be very bad to print as an actual card.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

So, there is a mechanic on three cards in Apocalypse that does what this card is trying to do, and for some reason they never printed anything else like it save for one goofy playtest card in Mystery Boosters. I love the ability, but I can only assume it's considered too confusing in practice and feels bad when your opponent is left with unusable combat tricks in hand.

Icatian Tour Guide - 3W
    A man is speaking to a crowded group on a gondola. The silhouettes in the foreground match the set's Human tokens, which feature awed travelers wearing leis and sandals.
    Creature - Human Scout U
    When Icatian Tour Guide enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Human creature token for each historic permanent on the battlefield. (Artifacts, Sagas, and legendary permanents are historic.)
    1/2

Challenge! Planeswalker! No plus abilities!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-06-07 at 11:59 PM.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

19. - Top - End - #139

ElfMonkGuy

Icatian Tour Guide - 3W
    A man is speaking to a crowded group on a gondola. The silhouettes in the foreground match the set's Human tokens, which feature awed travelers wearing leis and sandals.
    Creature - Human Scout U
    When Icatian Tour Guide enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Human creature token for each historic permanent on the battlefield. (Artifacts, Sagas, and legendary permanents are historic.)
    1/2

Challenge! Planeswalker! No plus abilities!
    This seems pretty fun; obviously you can build around it with a historic deck of your own, but you could also use this against artifact decks, and it's sure to get a few hits in Commander. Its floor is really low, so it's not the most powerful card, but it has a lot of potential.

Gideon, Spirit of the Gatewatch WW
    Planeswalker- Gideon (MR)
    +0: Put a loyalty counter on each planeswalker you control.
    -2: You may activate the loyalty abilities of another target planeswalker you control twice this turn.
    -6: Search your library for up to one planeswalker card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. You may put any number of planeswalkers from your hand onto the battlefield.

Challenge: A card that cares about a planeswalker type! (Like Chandra's Regulator, for example)
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-06-08 at 12:09 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

The zero is a +1, i feel like this breaks the spirit of the prompt. Its a 2 mana walker which is dangerous, except this card doesn't do anything without another walker so its fine I guess.

Respark 2BB
    Sorcery U
    Put target plansewalker card in a graveyard into play under your control.
    "I still have use for you yet."

or

The Sparkliver WUBGR
    Legendary Creature - Sliver MR
    Planeswalkers you control are slivers in addition to their other types and have "+0: Create a 2/2 sliver creature token" and "-2: Reveal the top card of your library, if it is a sliver put it onto the battlefield".
    5/5

Make a Dragon that subverts expectations, a character with tattoos, a sorcery with rebound, or a giant monkey with a cannon.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-06-08 at 09:46 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Respark seems like the perfect name for the basic planeswalker-resurrection card. We'll just have to see if they ever actually implement it. I'm not sure why it hasn't been printed yet. Spark Sliver is a little funky. A board is likely to have more planeswalkers than creatures in constructed these days, but requiring one and spending its ability for the turn is still a pretty big ask. If you're introducing Sliver as a planeswalker type, why not just make a Sliver planeswalker?

I Haven't Seen This One Yet But I've Heard Of It - 4RRR
    Sorcery - MR
    This sorcery deals 5 damage to one target. Create a 5/5 red Dragon Pirate creature token with flying.
    Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
    ...and what are we mono-red players but big cannon-wielding apes ourselves?

Challenge! Sheep and/or Dog!
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

22. - Top - End - #142

I Haven't Seen This One Yet But I've Heard Of It - 4RRR
    Sorcery - MR
    This sorcery deals 5 damage to one target. Create a 5/5 red Dragon Pirate creature token with flying.
    Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
    ...and what are we mono-red players but big cannon-wielding apes ourselves?
    ...What.

I mean, mechanically, it seems okay. Two 5/5 Dragons and 10 damage seems like a decent payout for 7 mana. I'm just really confused about the flavor. What's with the dragon pirates?

Challenge! Sheep and/or Dog!
    Pig G
    Creature - Pig Dog Sheep (U)
    When Pig enters the field, gain control of all Sheep currently on the field.
    1/1
    That'll do, Pig. That'll do.

Challenge! Find a way to make this a decent addition to a deck.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is a very powerful effect on a 1 mana 1/1 potentially. I think it would be fairer if it targeted a single sheep.

Keeper of the Flock 1WW
    Creature - Shapeshifter Horror R
    When ~ enters the battlefield choose a creature type, ~ is that type in addition to its other types.
    T: Target creature that shares a creature type with ~ gets indestructible until the end of the turn.
    W: Target creature gains the chosen type until the end of the turn.
    3/3

Make a snow card, but not an enchantment.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-06-13 at 12:57 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

I'm mostly trying to figure out what this ostensibly horrible but practically very loyal and sweet friend is for. "W, T: Target creature is indestructible until end of turn," is pretty powerful on its own. The best situation I can think of for it would be Lorwyn, where you would exchange the horror typing and most of its text for the Changeling ability and everything it does would fit together thematically. My other thought would be in Innistrad or Ikoria, where everything is horror and creature types only sometimes matter, but then such a shapeshifter would be better off specifying a creature type to associate with - probably Human or Vampire.

Snow Hydra - XGG
    Snow Creature - Hydra R
    Spend only snow mana on X. (Mana generated by a snow permanent is snow mana.)
    Trample
    S: Put a +1/+1 counter on Snow Hydra.
    0/0

Challenge! Use the Mill keyword action in a way that would have been very awkward if you always had to write out, "puts the top N cards of their library into their graveyard," as one would have done previously.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

25. - Top - End - #145

ElfMonkGuy

Snow Hydra - XGG
    Snow Creature - Hydra R
    Spend only snow mana on X. (Mana generated by a snow permanent is snow mana.)
    Trample
    S: Put a +1/+1 counter on Snow Hydra.
    0/0

Challenge! Use the Mill keyword action in a way that would have been very awkward if you always had to write out, "puts the top N cards of their library into their graveyard," as one would have done previously.
    This is pretty simple and clean. It's not too impressive when you first cast it, but after that, it swiftly ramps up. This would probably be pretty strong in limited, assuming there's enough snow support, of course.

Collapsing Mind 3BB
    Enchantment- Aura Curse (R)
    Enchant Player
    Whenever enchanted players mills, they lose life equal to half the number of cards milled, rounded up.
    2U: Enchanted player mills two cards.

Challenge: A planeswalker with a non-evergreen keyword ability or action in its text!
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2020-06-19 at 11:20 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146

OldWizardGuy

Cannot say I'm too familiar with mill *****, but it seems like a good one to punish some G/B decks and some blue decks, or if you can activate the mill option as another way to damage decks.

Tolgrand the Gravesage 2GWB
    Legendary Planeswalker- Tolgrand R
    Creatures you cast have 'Adamant; If you spend three of the same color mana on ~, gain Undying'
    +1; Place a lifelink or vigilance counter on up to two creatures you control. If you control at least three white creatures, gain 3 life
    -2; Search your library and/or graveyard for a land card and place it onto the field then shuffle your library. If you control at least three green creatures, search for three land cards instead
    -8; Place all creatures in your graveyard onto the battlefield. If you control at least three black creatures, also place all creatures you own in exile onto the battlefield

Next Challenge; A cat!
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

So, I imagine you already know my first thought: Why not make an undying counter for the first ability? Sure, there isn't one in Ikoria, but they can be added to a set as easily as tokens at this point. That said, combining it with the other three abilities adds up to too much text for one card, and the plays the abilities encourage don't play well with its three-color mana cost nor indeed with one another. Sure, the abilities are cool, but any given deck will only be able to use half of them anyway, so why not break it up into two cards?

Sheriff - W
    Legendary Creature - Cat R
    Flash
    When Sheriff enters the battlefield, return target Human creature you control to its owner's hand.
    "I will literally ruin nine days' work to make you happy."
    2/1

Challenge! Make a creature that eats pineapples.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

28. - Top - End - #148

ElfMonkGuy

Sheriff - W
    Legendary Creature - Cat R
    Flash
    When Sheriff enters the battlefield, return target Human creature you control to its owner's hand.
    "I will literally ruin nine days' work to make you happy."
    2/1

Challenge! Make a creature that eats pineapples.
    This works pretty well in White-based aggro decks. Sometimes it'll save a creature, but it'll probably see more play as a Savannah Lions with Flash, which is perfectly serviceable.

Thieving Raccoon G
    Creature- Raccoon (C)
    When Thieving Raccoon enters the battlefield or attacks, destroy up to one target Food. You gain 3 life if a Food was destroyed this way.
    1/2

Challenge: Something that creates an enchantment token!

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post

Thieving Raccoon G
    Creature- Raccoon (C)
    When Thieving Raccoon enters the battlefield or attacks, destroy up to one target Food. You gain 3 life if a Food was destroyed this way.
    1/2
    Eh, seems okay. Not much of a chassis, and its ability is pretty situational, so I don't see it getting out of hand... But it's still a strict upgrade from some other cards already in circulation, so it may be an auto-inclusion anyway.

Challenge: Something that creates an enchantment token!
    Watchman's Beacon 3W
    Artifact (R)
    >[T] Return target creature you control to your hand.
    >[T, Pay 3] Create a White Enchantment Aura token with "[Place a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature] Untap enchanted creature. It may not use any non-keyword abilities for the remainder of the turn."

Challenge! Do something similar, but for a different color.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-06-23 at 12:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think that repeated bouncing of your own creatures is somewhat dangerous and could create loops that are too powerful. The second ability also seems to me a little roughly written. I think it would be fairer if it said T: untap target creature and put a -1/-1 counter on it. But that effect isnt really white.

Scholar's Tower 2UU
    Artifact R
    T: Draw two cards then put two cards from your hand onto the top of your library.
    UUU, T: Target player mills 2, attacking creatures get -2/-0 for each non-land card put into the graveyard this way.

Make a card that flies without wings, a card that has exactly two colors, a card with a donkey in the art, or a card with two different triggered abilities.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-07-07 at 05:15 PM.
    Show