Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MtG: YMTC challenge VI: Companion Did Nothing Wrong

On its own, it's practically 4 mana to draw two cards, which takes the sting out of not affecting the board right away. Both abilities are weird, but the way they interact makes both of them much better, which is nice to see. When the prison effect is at its most useful, it runs a risk of not being very fun, since it not only locks out your opponent but also hogs your own mana for some probably-huge number of turns. It's hard to say without seeing it in action.

Vampiric Poet - 1BB
    Creature - Vampire R
    Flying, Lifelink
    Whenever you draw a card, you lose 1 life.
    At the beginning of the end step, if you lost 3 or more life this turn, draw a card.
    3/3

Bonus??:
    Donkey Donkey Literature Club - 2RR
    Creature - Donkey R
    Whenever Donkey Donkey Literature Club deals combat damage, discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
    Whenever you draw a card, you may announce it. If you do, create a 1/1 red Donkey creature token. (To announce a card, reveal it from your hand. It stays revealed until it leaves your hand. You can't announce a card that's already revealed this way.)
    4/4

Challenge! Make a two-color aura that can enchant an artifact.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-07-07 at 10:37 PM.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I like the idea but it feels way too easy to trigger with shocklands. The ability looks like one you should need to build around a bit but given decks generally try to run full sets of shocklands if available, you don't really need anything else for this to trigger if you're running a three coloured deck and could just slip into a Mardu deck without anything else trying to make it work.

Reassembly protocols (W/U)(W/U)
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant artifact
    If enchanted artifact would be destroyed, instead return it to the battlefield under your control

Card I wanted to do given they brought back phasing a bit but only worked as mono blue.

Out of Step U
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant permanent
    Enchanted permanent gains "At the beginning of your upkeep, this permanent phases out unless you pay X, where X is its converted mana cost"

Challenge: A card that does something other than damage when blocking or blocked.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2020-07-08 at 12:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    Reassembly protocols (W/U)(W/U)
    Enchantment - Aura U
    Enchant artifact
    If enchanted artifact would be destroyed, instead return it to the battlefield under your control.
    Isn't that just a wordier way of saying "enchanted artifact has Indestructible"? Or is it deliberately meant to proc "when X enters the field" effects? Maybe have an equipment that survives a removal effect but is un-equipped in the process?

Overall, it still seems like a pretty good card. The only other concern I have is that this isn't limited to noncreature artifacts... so you could, say, tack it onto Brass Bombshell and then generously gift it to your opponent a couple times for the game. Might be prone to cheese.

Challenge: A card that does something other than damage when blocking or blocked.
    Apprentice Soulbender 1W
    Creature - Human Warrior Wizard (R)
    If Apprentice Soulbender has 0 power, it does not take damage from combat.
    When Apprentice Soulbender blocks a creature, if the attacking creature has a converted mana cost less than or equal to Apprentice Soulbender's toughness, exile it and create a token creature with the same name, types, colors, power and toughness as the attacking creature, under the control of that creature's owner. Otherwise, exile Apprentice Soulbender.
    0/2
    "What did you DO to me?!"

Challenge! An enemy bird!
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-07-08 at 01:27 PM.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Out of step seems very strong. It is basically whichever is worse of 0 mana removal or reasonable mana tax. I suppose that it only works well on larger permanents. Very interesting.
    Rea Prot is kind of lackluster? It reminds me of Kaya's ghostform but for artifacts. I don't think that this is and effect that monoblue gets maybe W(U/W)?

Blood Elemental 1RB
    Creature - Elemental R
    Trample
    Protection from creatures that haven't taken damage this turn.
    When ~ becomes blocked you gain 1 life for each point of damage currently marked on a creature.
    Each creature has "0: This creature deals 1 damage to itself".
    3/3

Make an unusual elemental
    Spoiler: My Homebrew(3.5):
    Show
    All hail the white space, for from it all posts are shaped.
    Hey look, it is the oldest trick in the book!

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Isn't that just a wordier way of saying "enchanted artifact has Indestructible"? Or is it deliberately meant to proc "when X enters the field" effects? Maybe have an equipment that survives a removal effect but is un-equipped in the process?

Overall, it still seems like a pretty good card. The only other concern I have is that this isn't limited to noncreature artifacts... so you could, say, tack it onto Brass Bombshell and then generously gift it to your opponent a couple times for the game. Might be prone to cheese.
    The aura wouldn't come back, so it's closer to Totem Armor than indestructible.

Apprentice Soulbender 1W
    Creature - Human Warrior Wizard (R)
    If Apprentice Soulbender has 0 power, it does not take damage from combat.
    When Apprentice Soulbender blocks a creature, if the attacking creature has a converted mana cost less than or equal to Apprentice Soulbender's toughness, exile it and create a token creature with the same name, types, colors, power and toughness as the attacking creature, under the control of that creature's owner. Otherwise, exile Apprentice Soulbender.
    0/2
    "What did you DO to me?!"
    This seems kinda... incredibly complicated, and not that good? It took me a few read-throughs to figure out exactly what it does, but it... doesn't take combat damage (Does lifelink still apply? What about Wither/Infect? This needs rewording to work clearly within the rules.) and gets exiled when blocking things with CMC 3 or greater. Then, if it blocks something with CMC 2 or less, it exiles that creature (before damage) and instead gives the creature's owner (not controller) a copy of it with no abilities, no mana cost, and no subtypes. Oh, and it loses the first ability if its power changes and the numbers on the second bit are tied to its toughness rather than its own CMC.

Basically, this is too complicated. That would be justified were it compelling or flavorful, but it's neither. This is the sort of card where you pull it out in a Commander game just to make people read your cards, but neither you nor your opponents actually enjoy playing/playing against the card.

Challenge! An enemy bird!
    Golgari Sewer-Vulture -- 1BG
    Creature -- Zombie Bird -- Uncommon
    Flying
    1{B/G}, exile a creature card from a graveyard: Put a +1/+1 counter on Golgari Sewer-Vulture.
    2/2

Challenge: Something with an inventive flavor that's not blue or red (or blue and red).
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2020-07-08 at 01:46 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Rea Prot is kind of lackluster? It reminds me of Kaya's ghostform but for artifacts. I don't think that this is and effect that monoblue gets maybe W(U/W)?
    More based on unholy indenture actually as it doesn't matter who the artifact belonged to before destruction, it's yours now. Also, with etb effects, it's how it differs from indestructible. The theft aspect made it feel more blue to me hence the full hybrid.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    Golgari Sewer-Vulture -- 1BG
    Creature -- Zombie Bird -- Uncommon
    Flying
    1{B/G}, exile a creature card from a graveyard: Put a +1/+1 counter on Golgari Sewer-Vulture.
    2/2

Challenge: Something with an inventive flavor that's not blue or red (or blue and red).
    This is solid, as it can quickly ramp up and be a big problem in a limited game. Having to dump mana into it might hurt a bit when you're behind, but it'll create a solid flying blocker.

Grim Inspiration 4BB
    Sorcery (R)
    Destroy target creature, then create a X/X colorless Golem creature token, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.

Challenge: A card that gets better if your opponents are ahead.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Grim Inspiration 4BB
    Sorcery (R)
    Destroy target creature, then create a X/X colorless Golem creature token, where X is that creature's converted mana cost.
    So... it's basically removal, but better? There's nothing wrong with that, but removal spells typically target bigger creatures anyway, so this is just a straight upgrade from standard removal spells, instead of something more interesting.

Challenge: A card that gets better if your opponents are ahead.
    Howling Black Wind 4
    Enchantment (R)
    During your Upkeep step, if you control no creatures, place XX counters on Howling Black Wind, where X is the number of creatures your opponents control.
    >[Sacrifice Howling Black Wind]: Search your library for a creature with a converted mana cost of X or less, where X is the number of counters on Howling Black Wind, then place it on the field.

Spoiler: Bonus Card!
    Show

La Vos, the Great Fire 16
    Legendary Creature - Eldrazi (M)
    Defender, Hexproof
    When La Vos, the Great Fire enters the field, return all other permanents to their owners' hands.
    During your Upkeep step, place a counter on La Vos, the Great Fire. If La Vos, the Great Fire has 6 or more counters on it, it fights three target creatures your opponent controls. If all three creatures are destroyed, you win the game.
    20/20

Challenge! Gotta go fast!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

9. - Top - End - #159

Howling Black Wind 4
    Enchantment (R)
    During your Upkeep step, if you control no creatures, place XX counters on Howling Black Wind, where X is the number of creatures your opponents control.
    >[Sacrifice Howling Black Wind]: Search your library for a creature with a converted mana cost of X or less, where X is the number of counters on Howling Black Wind, then place it on the field.

Spoiler: Bonus Card!
    Show

La Vos, the Great Fire 16
    Legendary Creature - Eldrazi (M)
    Defender, Hexproof
    When La Vos, the Great Fire enters the field, return all other permanents to their owners' hands.
    During your Upkeep step, place a counter on La Vos, the Great Fire. If La Vos, the Great Fire has 6 or more counters on it, it fights three target creatures your opponent controls. If all three creatures are destroyed, you win the game.
    20/20
    Colorless enchantments are generally a touchy subject, and I don't think this is an exception. The mechanic is 100% black, and with appropriate flavor text this could be really good flavor. It also feels really weird to have a card with "black" in the name not be black, so I would recost this as 1BBB. The counters need to be a type, and I do think that the phrasing should be different, too; my inner rules lawyer insists that it be written "put twice X wind counters on Howling Black Wind, where X is the number of creatures your opponents control" or even "put two wind counters on Howling Black Wind for each creature your opponents control". It could also just put one counter on and be decent; I'm a little worried that it scales too quickly in EDH with all of the mana dorks and whatnot, and would get you a 10-drop on turn four. Maybe it could cost more mana, like 2BBB or even 3BBB? Overall good card with a few wrinkles to iron out.

Challenge! Gotta go fast!
    Boots of Reckless Haste -- 3
    Artifact -- Equipment -- Uncommon
    Equipped creature has haste, can't block creatures without haste, and can't be blocked except by creatures with haste.
    Whenever equipped creature attacks, exert it.
    Equip 2, exert two lands you control.

Challenge: Bring back an old mechanic with new flavor. Bonus points if it's not a keyword.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Woah, its swiftfoot boots but with evasion and exerting your lands. I think the equip cost is over the top. Coming out on turn 3 and giving your 2 drop on 4 haste is decidedly not that hastey.

Truths Unveiled 3U
    Instant U
    Choose one or more then draw a card for each mode chosen
    -Turn target permanent face up
    -Turn target card in exile face up
    -Target player reveals the top card of their library until they draw a card.

Make a card that turns cards facedown or exiles cards facedown or interacts with cards in exile.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 2020-07-09 at 02:30 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161

ElfMonkGuy

Truths Unveiled 3U
    Instant U
    Choose one or more then draw a card for each mode chosen
    -Turn target permanent face up
    -Turn target card in exile face up
    -Target player reveals the top card of their library until they draw a card.

Make a card that turns cards facedown or exiles cards facedown or interacts with cards in exile.
    This is a very strange card, and one that doesn't seem particularly useful. At the very least, you can always activate two modes of this, since you didn't specify on the first one that the permanent has to be face down, and the last one's always usable. I just can't really think of any time a card like this would be useful, except for a fancy 3U: Draw three cards at instant speed, if there happens to be an exiled card around.

Mind Roulette 2RR
    Artifact (R)
    When Mind Roulette enters the battlefield, exile the top seven cards of your library face down.
    T, turn a face down card exiled by Mind Roulette face up: Until end of turn, you may play that card.

Challenge: A combat trick that you can play even if you have no creatures!

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Mind Roulette 2RR
    Artifact (R)
    When Mind Roulette enters the battlefield, exile the top seven cards of your library face down.
    T, turn a face down card exiled by Mind Roulette face up: Until end of turn, you may play that card.
    This is a cool card, but I have a quibble: If you have a way to see the top cards of your library, it makes slowing down the game by laboriously noting which card is which the optimal strategy. I'd suggest changing the ability by moving the turning face-up into the effect rather than the cost, and having it be chosen at random rather than chosen by the player. It's not a major issue, and it's definitely printable as-is.

Challenge: A combat trick that you can play even if you have no creatures!
    Act of Remorse -- 2U
    Instant -- Rare
    Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it. (It does not gain haste)

For flavor and under intended circumstances this could be a white card, but gaining control of opponents' creatures is much more blue and this qualifies.

Challenge: Make a bottle with some potion or beverage in it.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

You say that, but this would pretty obviously be a white card if you specifically called out an attacking creature. I am a fan of the effect nonetheless.

Not Coffee - 3B
    Artifact - C
    When Not Coffee enters the battlefield, destroy target creature.
    3, T, sacrifice Not Coffee: You draw a card and you lose 1 life.

Challenge! Make a viny, fruit-producing creature.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like that it mimics food tokens with the sacrifice ability. I think this is a fine common that would be solid in draft.

Vineyard Prowler 1G
    Creature - Plant U
    At the beginning of your end step put a +1/+1 counter on Vineyard Prowler.
    As long as there are 3 or more counters Vineyard Prowler it is a food artifact in addition to its other types.
    2, Vineyard Prowler's controller sacrifices it: You gain 3 life. Anyone can play this ability, play this ability only if Vineyard Prowler is an untapped food.
    2/2

Make a fungus or a useful corpse, or a creature with 3 sub types, or a card with three super types
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    You say that, but this would pretty obviously be a white card if you specifically called out an attacking creature. I am a fan of the effect nonetheless.
    Yeah for sure, but I wanted the added utility of getting something that's not attacking, and that pushes it much more towards blue. If it were limited to attacking, I'd want it to be 2 mana at most, and then it loses a bit of the parallel to Act of Treason.

Vineyard Prowler 1G
    Creature - Plant U
    At the beginning of your end step put a +1/+1 counter on Vineyard Prowler.
    As long as there are 3 or more counters Vineyard Prowler it is a food artifact in addition to its other types.
    2, Vineyard Prowler's controller sacrifices it: You gain 3 life. Anyone can play this ability, play this ability only if Vineyard Prowler is an untapped food.
    2/2
    This seems a little bit pushed for a 2-drop, and a little bit complicated for an uncommon. I'd much rather see this as a three-mana rare. That said, I'm phobic of cards that are too powerful, and it's probably fine as-is. I like the flavor of the plant growing into a fruit.

Make a fungus or a useful corpse, or a creature with 3 sub types, or a card with three super types
    Given that there are only three non-deprecated, non-silver-bordered super types, I'm going with the other options.

Infested Towershell -- 3BG
    Creature -- Turtle -- Rare
    When Infested Towershell dies, if it was a creature, return it to the battlefield tapped under your control with a spore counter on it and create three 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens.
    As long as Infested Towershell has a spore counter on it, it's a Swamp Forest land and has "T: Target Saproling gets +1/+1 until end of turn." (It's no longer a creature)
    Even in death, life goes on.
    3/5

Technically Swamp, Turtle, and Forest are all subtypes.

Challenge: A storyteller.
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2020-07-10 at 01:57 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

The card's effect is cool! You'd probably have a better time searching your library for a land than deciding on a transform effect. If you search for a Swamp card, that can get dual lands too, right?

Chulane, Uros Nine Through Twelve - WGU
    Legendary Creature - Human Druid MR
    Lifelink
    You can play an additional land card on each of your turns.
    Whenever you play a card, draw a card.
    3/3

Challenge! An animal that changes shape later in the game.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

17. - Top - End - #167

Chulane, Uros Nine Through Twelve - WGU
    Legendary Creature - Human Druid MR
    Lifelink
    You can play an additional land card on each of your turns.
    Whenever you play a card, draw a card.
    3/3
    ...Why don't we just ease off the ramp pedal there a bit?

I mean, for three mana, you've got a permanent that doubles your land output each turn and gives you further card advantage at no additional cost. That's a bit obscene, isn't it?

Challenge! An animal that changes shape later in the game.
    Chaos Hatchling BR1
    Creature - Demon Frog
    When you lose life, transform Chaos Hatchling.
    1/1

Agony Elemental
    Creature - Demon Frog Horror
    Flying
    >[T, pay 3 life] : Create 3 1/1 Red/Black Demon tokens with Flying.
    2/4

Challenge! Fight a demon with lead!
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-07-10 at 08:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Chaos Hatchling BR1
    Creature - Demon Frog
    When you lose life, transform Chaos Hatchling.
    1/1

Agony Elemental
    Creature - Demon Frog Horror
    Flying
    >[T, pay 1 life] : Create 3 1/1 Red/Black Demon tokens with Flying.
    2/4
    Speaking of easing off, Bitterblossom was at one point banned in Modern, and this is arguably better. The transform condition is incredibly easy in nonrotating formats, and one life for three 1/1s is massively powerful. Of course it dies to removal, but that doesn't mean it's balanced.

Challenge! Fight a demon with lead!
    Cold-iron Lance -- 3
    Artifact -- Equipment -- Rare
    Equipped creature has First Strike, Reach, and +1/+0.
    Whenever equipped creature deals damage to a Demon or Angel, destroy that creature.
    Equip 2

Challenge: A musical instrument.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

That's about on par with the current state of equipment. The bit about angels and demons is basically flavor text, but on further thought it also serves another important purpose: it helps everyone remember that the lance grants reach! Ingenious!

Singing Scalpel - 1
    Artifact - Equipment U
    Equipped creature gets +1/+0.
    Whenever equipped creature attacks, other attacking creatures get+1/+0 until end of turn.
    Equip 3

Challenge! Something with too many legs, but that isn't especially horrifying for it.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

20. - Top - End - #170

Singing Scalpel - 1
    Artifact - Equipment U
    Equipped creature gets +1/+0.
    Whenever equipped creature attacks, other attacking creatures get+1/+0 until end of turn.
    Equip 3
    Seems like a pretty standard piece of equipment. Throw it on something that's already big and you don't have to worry about losing it when you inevitably get blocked. The only thing that weirds me out is the equip cost; for some reason, 3 seems a little high.

Challenge! Something with too many legs, but that isn't especially horrifying for it.
    Merry Millicricket G
    Creature - Faery Insect (U)
    >[T, Pay XX] X target creatures have Defender and +2/+2 until your next Upkeep step.
    0/2
    "Sure, he looks a little weird, but he plays a mean fiddle."

Challenge! A better fiddle than this one. Please.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2020-07-11 at 07:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really like this little bug but I worry that it might be a touch too strong. It is pretty versatile being able to turn off your opponent's attackers, buff your defense- even blocking as a 2/4, and buff your attacks after they attack. Maybe it would be better at sorcery speed and giving the +2/+2 and defender until your next turn? Still I think the ideas behind this guy are good!

Crescendo 1R
    Sorcery
    Crescendo deals 2 damage to each player and each planeswalker then each player draws a card.

//Aftermath//

Finale 2RR
    Sorcery
    Finale deals 4 damage to each creature, player, and planeswalker then each player discards a card.

Make a card that you can cast more than once.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure what to do about this card. It's a really good board wipe for its price both times you play it, so I think it would be a big deal for Big Red in a certain high-powered format, but would make the game difficult to balance in standard. The theme is interesting... drawing and discarding cards evokes the image of a conductor raising her arms for the first beat and swinging them down for the last, which is cool. Then it burninates the countryside both times, which orchestras typically do not do.

Fade - B
    An aetherborn person is putting on a simple ring, which seemingly makes their arm dissolve into the background.
    Sorcery - R
    Put a Shadow counter on target creature. (It can't block or be blocked except by other creatures with shadow.)
    ///
    Black - 4BBB
    Another aetherborn wears a ring decorated with four pearls, three white and one black. Their transformation was more drastic.
    Sorcery - R
    Put a Deathtouch counter on target creature. It deals 1 damage to each other creature.
    Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)

Challenge! Make a card that does your laundry!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-07-13 at 07:22 PM.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

23. - Top - End - #173

Fade - B
    An aetherborn person is putting on a simple ring, which seemingly makes their arm dissolve into the background.
    Sorcery - R
    Put a Shadow counter on target creature. (It can't block or be blocked except by other creatures with shadow.)
    ///
    Black - 4BBB
    Another aetherborn wears a ring decorated with four pearls, three white and one black. Their transformation was more drastic.
    Sorcery - R
    Put a Deathtouch counter on target creature. It deals 1 damage to each other creature.
    Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
    So... You set up a creature to be untouchable, then use it to wipe the board on turn 7 (oh, and your already-untouchable creature has Deathtouch now). It seems a little linear in its application (the only variance I can see would be giving Shadow and Deathtouch to two different creatures, which would be kinda pointless since the Shadow dude will get swept out with the rest of the board anyway), but this at least gets offset by how powerful said linear use is. It comes out a little middling as a result.

Challenge! Make a card that does your laundry!
    Scrub Squad Beta 2
    Creature - Human (R)
    Hexproof
    >[T, 4] Negate all abilities on Scrub Squad Beta and target creature until the start of your next turn. (Hexproof and Protection do not prevent this.)
    1/3

Challenge! Surrender, then win.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

This doesn't feel like a colorless card to me. I think the text should say ": Choose a creature. Until your next turn ~ and the chosen creature loses all abilities."

Desperation Tactics 1UR
    Sorcery
    Return all permanents you control to their owner's hands. Take 2 extra turns after this one.

Make a card with a topdown design - that is design the mechanics to fit a flavor.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Having no self-exile and low CMC makes this easy to abuse, even with the land bounce meant to balance it. It's also missing a rarity, though that's easy to guess.

Tampering the Timelines 3WU
    Legendary Enchantment - Saga R
    If another permanent would leave the battlefield, exile it with ~ instead.
    I-III: Investigate. Then you may search your library for a historic card, shuffle your library and put the card third from the top.
    IV: You may exile ~. If you do, return it and each card exiled with it to the battlefield.

It's meant to evoke the concept of traveling to the past on borrowed time to prevent something from happening (like a specific creature dying), trying to find ways to change it, then repeating it again if you failed. Basically, similar to Steins;Gate.

Make a card that controls, alters, and/or deletes.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2020-07-13 at 07:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.
    Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Each time it triggers, the I-III ability undoes your previous library search. I imagine the deck that wants this turns the IV ability into an automatic win without giving up much of anything, and having three turns of doing barely anything is a necessity for that kind of time bomb, but I'd rather it do nothing on purpose than do nothing accidentally because your tutored card was shuffled away. Also, part of me really wants it to bring back the investigate tokens you used while it was on the battlefield, but they were all tokens so nope.

Pact of Betrayal - 4B
    Enchantment - Aura R
    Enchant creature
    You control enchanted creature.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature. Then if it has 3 or more +1/+1 counters on it, sacrifice it.

Challenge! Make a cloak out of an unusual material.
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.

27. - Top - End - #177

ElfMonkGuy

Pact of Betrayal - 4B
    Enchantment - Aura R
    Enchant creature
    At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature. Then if it has 3 or more +1/+1 counters on it, sacrifice it.

That's a pretty interesting take on a black control spell. Technically it's out of color pie, but I think this could be an acceptable bend, considering it's relatively weak. It feels a bit better at 3BB, though.

Cloak of Agony 3R
    Artifact- Equipment (R)
    Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
    Whenever equipped creature is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to any other target.
    Equip 2R

Challenge: Something involving the number 7!

28. - Top - End - #178

Pact of Betrayal - 4B
    Enchantment - Aura R
    Enchant creature
    Seems pretty decent, all things considered. I'm having a hard time finding a way to abuse it, and yet it's useful enough to put in a deck... Strikes a nice balance. Not really much more to say about it other than that.

Void Cape B1
    Artifact Equipment (U)
    Equipped creature has Hexproof.
    During your Upkeep step, place a -1/-1 counter on the equipped creature.
    Equip 2

Challenge! Undertale.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is a little weak compared to swiftfoot boots and whispersilk cloak. Since it has black mana maybe give it a way to attach to other people's creatures or another upside.

Undertale & Something involving the number 7!

Lord of Violence 2BB
    Creature - Human Noble R
    Whenever a creature dies put a level counter on Lord of Violence.
    4/4
    Level 1-2
    T: Lord of Violence deals 1 damage to any target.
    5/5
    Level 3-4
    T: Lord of Violence deals 1 damage to any target.
    B: Lord of Violence gets deathtouch until the end of the turn.
    7/7

Make a card with more than one set of base stats.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Come on, man! That restriction totally set you up for a Seven Human Souls angle! Also, I'm pretty sure that a low-level human child still insists on doing its own killing. The unexplained noble typing is a nice touch, though.

Spoiler: whoops
    Show
    Land of Light and Rain
    Land - U
    You may have this land enter the battlefield transformed.
    T: Add W. Transform Land of Light and Rain.
    //
    Land of Rain and Light
    Land
    T: Add U. Transform Land of Rain and Light.
    Wait, lands don't have base stats...

Fido // Rover - 1R1R
    (This looks like a split card, except the costs are together on the Rover side so you have to pay both to cast it.)
    Legendary Creature - Dog // Legendary Creature - Dog R (silver-bordered)
    (Fido//Rover is two creatures. They enter the battlefield simultaneously as this resolves. If one attacks, becomes tapped, blocks or becomes blocked by a creature or leaves the battlefield, they both do.)
    Haste // Haste
    3/3 // 3/3

Challenge! Cover something in soot!
    Ajax, Nexusites, Shun.