New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default best class/archetype for double scimitar...

Warlock hex bladelock seems like default go to.

What other class/archetypes are good for this seemingly first 'exotic weapon' ? I know would have loved for monk kensei to be compatible with this weapon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: best class/archetype for double scimitar...

Hexblade is probably the best and you don't even need the feat since you can use CHA.

If you get to start with a feat (not an uncommon house rule) or start after level 4, I made a Celestial warlock where her patron was the angelic form of her ancestor. Old-school, pre-hexblade blade-lock. Rogue would work well here too.

Fighter, paladin, ranger and barbarian using STR all work if you think you'll find a magic double-bladed scimitar. If you don't think you will, then Hexblade wins.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Edit : My bad, I mixed up the double scimitar weapon with dual wielding scimitars, ignore this post.
    Last edited by Neoh; 2020-04-24 at 08:16 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoh View Post
    I actually believe Hexblade might be one of the worst dual wielder out of all the melee characters.

At level 1-2 you can only use your Cha to attack with one weapon, not both.

At level 3 you can make a pact with your second weapon to extend the benefit of using your Cha to attack.

There are still some other problems though, and it comes from your eldritch invocations features :

Thirsting Blade only allows your Pact weapon to attack twice so be careful which weapon you make a pact with if you get a magic sword for exemple, not a big problem but still good to know.

Eldritch Smite can only be used with your Pact weapon, so say if you crit with the other one, you can't burn a smite on it.

Lifedrinker only adds the charisma damage to the attacks of your Pact weapon, so only 2 attacks out of 3 gets to add it.

And you don't get a Fighting Style either, so no Two-Weapon Fighting to add your charisma damage on your off-hand attack.

Kensei Monk does work with Scimitars btw, it does state you can choose a melee weapon, simple or martial, that lacks the heavy and special properties.
    Scimitar only have the finesse and light properties so they are good to go.
    I don't know how efficient it is because I don't know much about Monks, but you can definitely use Scimitars with your Kensei if you wish.

Just a note. The OP is referring to the double scimitar in ebberon.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/equipment/...laded-scimitar

A single weapon that is two handed, does 2d4 damage, and you can use a bonus action to attack with the other side to do 1d4 damage. Also, ,there is a feat to make it a finesse weapon and have the bonus action attack do more damage
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Warlock hex bladelock seems like default go to.

What other class/archetypes are good for this seemingly first 'exotic weapon' ? I know would have loved for monk kensei to be compatible with this weapon.
    Hexblade. He can summon it as Pact Weapon.

With Half-Elf and EA on level 4 you attack 3 times with triple advantage on level 5.

Vs AC 17 this gives us DPR of 27.5 using it on Hexblade which is really good on this level.

To compare PAM + GWM Vuman at this level would do 31.5 DPR vs AC 17. So overall a really good stuff.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Just a note. The OP is referring to the double scimitar in ebberon.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/equipment/...laded-scimitar

A single weapon that is two handed, does 2d4 damage, and you can use a bonus action to attack with the other side to do 1d4 damage. Also, ,there is a feat to make it a finesse weapon and have the bonus action attack do more damage

Oh alright, thanks for the heads up, I almost never see this weapon in play, hell, I barely ever see it being mentioned.

Well, for sure a Kensei can't use it then.