New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Getting the Raise Dead 'chain' for an Arcane Necromancer?

Is there any way for an arcane necromancer (most specifically the Dread Necro) to acquire raise dead and resurrection? I would assume there is a domain with at least one of those, so Arcane Disciple would be the natural way to go, but I haven't seen one. Would it be too far-fetched to consider them as Necromancy spells for the purpose of Advanced Learning?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: Getting the Raise Dead 'chain' for an Arcane Necromancer?

The Crystal Keep collection, for what it's worth, lists no domains with raise dead or resurrection as domain spells.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd consider giving a wizard access to the Raise Dead/Resurrection spells too imbalancing. As it is, in core, wizards may return someone from the dead using Wish (will Limited Wish duplicate a 5th level divine spell? If so, Limited Wish (+diamond) grabs Raise Dead). Perhaps the closest way would be to see about getting a Revivify type spell (I don't have the Spell Compendium, but Egoist psions can get the Psionic version).
    However, I'm not sure I'd count Raise Dead & the like as necromancy.
    They seem far closer to Conjuration (Healing) to me.

As always, ask your DM.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maerok View Post
    Is there any way for an arcane necromancer (most specifically the Dread Necro) to acquire raise dead and resurrection? I would assume there is a domain with at least one of those, so Arcane Disciple would be the natural way to go, but I haven't seen one. Would it be too far-fetched to consider them as Necromancy spells for the purpose of Advanced Learning?
    Looks like someone was working on a Life domain at one point:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11828

I'm not aware of any official domains that include raise dead or resurrection.

There is a work-around if you take the Heal domain with Arcane Disciple and then use the Customize Domain feat (Dragon #325) to switch cure light wounds, mass (normally Heal 5) to raise dead and regeneration (normally Heal 7) to resurrection. You'd need a heckuva Wis modifier to get those spells, though.

You could do the same thing with the Magic Domain (Wee Jas seems like a good fit for those spells), but you'd have to replace the higher-level spells Magic 6 and Magic 8.

Limited wish or wish would allow you to cast raise dead, but unfortunately not resurrection.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

in my group we have a spell called letal resurrection, it brings a person back but the body and the caster takes major damage
    Last edited by de-trick; 2007-10-25 at 07:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

sig by Bitzeralisis

Old Avatar by Simius

new Avatar by Qwernt

Tiger Paladin of HALO